• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:00
CEST 14:00
KST 21:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7539 users

[G] ~8% faster gas mining - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Timetwister22
Profile Joined March 2011
United States538 Posts
October 28 2012 07:24 GMT
#21
From a mapmaker's perspective, this is some awesome info. Will take this into much consideration!
Former ESV Mapmaker | @Timetwister22
torm
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada274 Posts
October 28 2012 07:28 GMT
#22
On October 28 2012 16:20 fezvez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2012 16:14 torm wrote:
misleading thread title. also, strategy section?


I am sorry, but what is misleading here? On entombed valley, your opponent can actually mine 8.1% more gas if you aren't careful.


I am sorry, but what isn't misleading here? You aren't mining any % more gas anywhere. You are mining a percentage LESS gas in certain locations. It's misleading because it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.
Zandar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands1541 Posts
October 28 2012 07:28 GMT
#23
Great thread, really appreciate all your hard work!

Would it be smart for a zerg with 1 bad gasmine in his main to place a macro hatch in such a way that they can pull the 3 ineffiicent drones from the main and transfer to the macro hatch with the goal to mine gas from that mine efficiently?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-28 07:29:32
October 28 2012 07:28 GMT
#24
derp me
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
capu
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Finland224 Posts
October 28 2012 07:31 GMT
#25
good job! good effort!
Impervious
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada4222 Posts
October 28 2012 07:32 GMT
#26
After what happened in Broodwar, I really hope that nobody is actually surprised by this.....

I know that I used to always construct the more efficient geyser first in SC2 because I figured this was probably the case, I just didn't bother going through with the work to prove it..... I'm glad someone did though, maybe it'll force Blizzard to make a change, or at least force mapmakers to change how they place the geysers.
~ \(ˌ)im-ˈpər-vē-əs\ : not capable of being damaged or harmed.
ShinigamiFlameHaze
Profile Joined October 2012
United States33 Posts
October 28 2012 07:33 GMT
#27
Interesting read. Nice Work.
Live Life Love Laugh
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
October 28 2012 07:35 GMT
#28
orek I would subscribe to your posts if I could.

I've always been sort of aware of this but hadn't put much thought into it. I knew that the inside geyser on metalopolis was further away, and this started an automatic involuntary tendency for me to always take the outside geyser first on every map. I noticed on condemned ridge that one of the geysers is god awful. I generally stop thinking about that by the time I would take gas in my natural.

Very thorough analysis.
Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-28 07:40:21
October 28 2012 07:39 GMT
#29
On October 28 2012 16:28 torm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2012 16:20 fezvez wrote:
On October 28 2012 16:14 torm wrote:
misleading thread title. also, strategy section?


I am sorry, but what is misleading here? On entombed valley, your opponent can actually mine 8.1% more gas if you aren't careful.


I am sorry, but what isn't misleading here? You aren't mining any % more gas anywhere. You are mining a percentage LESS gas in certain locations. It's misleading because it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.


I guess a good 'easy' title would be: Vespene imbalance in maps - up to 8%.
Lylat
Profile Joined August 2009
France8575 Posts
October 28 2012 07:42 GMT
#30
Very nice thread, I really missed those :-)
Maasked
Profile Joined December 2011
United States567 Posts
October 28 2012 07:43 GMT
#31
So the first thing I was able to take away from this, is that on Entombed you should always take the gas closest to the side (not top......) of the map first, for more efficiency. Other than that, this is bad from blizzard, 8% gas can make a large difference at a level where every single gas counts. And also a really interesting read. Thanks
TwitchTV as Maaasked I stream hots (rarely)
Chriscras
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)2812 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-28 07:47:07
October 28 2012 07:46 GMT
#32
SPOTLIGHT THIS POST <3
"En taro adun, Executor."
fezvez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
France3021 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-28 07:48:30
October 28 2012 07:46 GMT
#33
On October 28 2012 16:28 torm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2012 16:20 fezvez wrote:
On October 28 2012 16:14 torm wrote:
misleading thread title. also, strategy section?


I am sorry, but what is misleading here? On entombed valley, your opponent can actually mine 8.1% more gas if you aren't careful.


I am sorry, but what isn't misleading here? You aren't mining any % more gas anywhere. You are mining a percentage LESS gas in certain locations. It's misleading because it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.


Well, it depends on what you consider accurate or not.

When I play on Entombed Valley and I spawn bottom right, half the time, I'll take the "good" vespene geyser first, and half the time, I'll take the "bad" vespene geyser first.

So, half the time, I'll be mining gas 8% faster when compared to the other situation, all other things being equal, during the time I'm on one gas.

I totally agree with your sentence :
it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.


But I'd like to point out that the OP's title is
~8% faster gas mining
and not
~8% more gas mining
Chriscras
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)2812 Posts
October 28 2012 07:48 GMT
#34
On October 28 2012 16:46 fezvez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2012 16:28 torm wrote:
On October 28 2012 16:20 fezvez wrote:
On October 28 2012 16:14 torm wrote:
misleading thread title. also, strategy section?


I am sorry, but what is misleading here? On entombed valley, your opponent can actually mine 8.1% more gas if you aren't careful.


I am sorry, but what isn't misleading here? You aren't mining any % more gas anywhere. You are mining a percentage LESS gas in certain locations. It's misleading because it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.


Well, it depends on what you consider accurate or not.

When I play on Entombed Valley and I spawn bottom right, half the time, I'll take the "good" vespene geyser first, and half the time, I'll take the "bad" vespene geyser first.

So, half the time, I'll be mining gas 8% faster, all other things being equal, during the time I'm on one gas.

I totally agree with your sentence :
Show nested quote +
it implies there is a way to mine 8% MORE gas than you might otherwise be able to, when that's really not the case at all.


But I'd like to point out that the OP's title is
Show nested quote +
~8% faster gas mining
and not
Show nested quote +
~8% more gas mining


I agree, obviously you can't mine more overall. You mine more OVER A FIXED AMOUNT OF TIME.
"En taro adun, Executor."
sluggaslamoo
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Australia4494 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-28 07:57:08
October 28 2012 07:54 GMT
#35
I think there should be a section on how much difference this can actually make.

If 1 Colossus extra is all you need to win in PvP, then spawning positions could completely determine the outcome of the game.

You might even have a variance of up to 2 minutes with some cheese builds in some spawning positions than others.

This is the most concerning in mirror matchups though, where getting tech or units slightly earlier will make a huge difference. It would be funny seeing progamers bash their heads over builds not knowing why in some cases they had their psi-storm in time, and other times they didn't. Especially when they are trying to refine their builds down to the second.
Come play Android Netrunner - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409008
Fenrax
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States5018 Posts
October 28 2012 07:56 GMT
#36
On October 28 2012 16:46 Chriscras wrote:
SPOTLIGHT THIS POST <3


Yeah. This is an awesome thread. Great job Orek (again!) and I hope Blizzard catches on to it.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
October 28 2012 07:56 GMT
#37
So you've finished ur next research project

Very awesome, thanks for showing! must have taken looots of time
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
MasterCynical
Profile Joined September 2012
505 Posts
October 28 2012 07:57 GMT
#38
uhhh, im not understanding your maths

11 o’clock = (2500/1291)+(2500/1377) = 225.121 [gas/sec]
7 o’clock = (2500/1291)+(2500/1320) = 229.825 [gas/sec]


shouldn't it be this?
11 o’clock = (2500/1291)+(2500/1377) = 3.752 [gas/sec]
7 o’clock = (2500/1291)+(2500/1320) = 3.830 [gas/sec]

according to your data, the worst time of 1395 secs will give 107.5 gas/min while the best time 1291 will give 116.2 gas/min
over a 10 min period, it will be a difference of 87. since all bases have at least one 1291 gas, this will be the worst difference.
Or if you look at zerg, where gas starts at 6:00 and you'll need to defend a toss timing at around 9-11, it will only be about 40ish gas you're missing out on.

I think the difference is negligible enough to not make any significant differences compared to differences of skill level.
Zerg.Zilla
Profile Joined February 2012
Hungary5029 Posts
October 28 2012 07:58 GMT
#39
Good stuff! Thank u.
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) ~Keep calm and inject Larva~
ZXRP
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa114 Posts
October 28 2012 07:58 GMT
#40
Fantastic effort Orek! Makes me wonder how many other factors there are that we are currently just taking for granted, but which are actually imbalanced or problematic. Really nice article, a prime candidate to be spotlighted.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe - Carl Sagan
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 912
WardiTV408
OGKoka 196
Rex135
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko371
mouzHeroMarine 303
OGKoka 196
Rex 135
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2646
Horang2 1418
Larva 1220
EffOrt 922
BeSt 634
Soma 413
Hyuk 339
Mini 282
Stork 197
ZerO 190
[ Show more ]
Light 177
Rush 171
ggaemo 139
Zeus 130
Barracks 115
Killer 90
Hyun 88
Sea.KH 38
Shinee 35
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 31
Mong 26
sorry 23
Aegong 20
soO 19
PianO 19
Sacsri 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
zelot 11
Sexy 10
HiyA 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi1425
BananaSlamJamma164
League of Legends
KnowMe33
Counter-Strike
byalli772
x6flipin413
Other Games
singsing2157
olofmeister1589
crisheroes265
XaKoH 264
Sick222
Pyrionflax187
B2W.Neo180
ArmadaUGS70
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream525
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• StrangeGG 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1698
Other Games
• WagamamaTV229
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 1m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.