• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:03
CEST 18:03
KST 01:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9397 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 226

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 224 225 226 227 228 432 Next
Borskey
Profile Joined February 2012
160 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-19 19:08:22
May 19 2013 19:05 GMT
#4501
Oh, I know one thing you're missing out on:

The ease of ctrl+clicking on a unit type to select all of them, and then hitting the button to add. With your setup you have to ctrl+click, then let go of ctrl and press shift, and then hit the button.

Ie, you go to your rally, there's some marines, some widow mines, and some medivacs. with the normal Core setup you just hold CTRL down the entire time, click marines, press 0. Click Widowmines, press -, click medivacs, press ;.

But you've got to toggle between ctrl and shift a bunch of times rather than just holding ctrl.

If you're used to boxing your units instead, that won't really be a hindrance at all. For Zerg though, ctrl+clicking is definitely the preferred method because of egg hotkeying.
Tzuborg
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway171 Posts
May 19 2013 19:34 GMT
#4502
On May 19 2013 00:28 Ninjury_J wrote:
A lot. I would say it is significantly different. You can check out the document in the OP.


I asked here instead, because looking at the document will tell me the exact keys, but not the idea behind them or anything. Could you please give a short summary? I saw someone mention something about recalling control groups with shift+key etc. What's that all about?
tEEYOUNEE
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada13 Posts
May 19 2013 19:35 GMT
#4503
Would TheCore fit my needs as a sc2 player? I have hyper mobility in my hands which makes the speed I can move my fingers very slow and coordination worse. In the past I solved this by using a razer naga where I could control everything with my thumbs but the mouse is gone now and I am finding it hard to adjust to a keyboard. Since I am making a switch anyways should I try the core?

To give you an idea of how bad my fingers and control is I cannot hold a pencil properly or play the guitar.
Borskey
Profile Joined February 2012
160 Posts
May 19 2013 19:36 GMT
#4504
On May 20 2013 04:34 Tzuborg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2013 00:28 Ninjury_J wrote:
A lot. I would say it is significantly different. You can check out the document in the OP.


I asked here instead, because looking at the document will tell me the exact keys, but not the idea behind them or anything. Could you please give a short summary? I saw someone mention something about recalling control groups with shift+key etc. What's that all about?


That's for the zerg layout, and that's only the inject queen control group. It's been that way for a while, so that's not new.
Borskey
Profile Joined February 2012
160 Posts
May 19 2013 19:47 GMT
#4505
On May 20 2013 04:35 tEEYOUNEE wrote:
Would TheCore fit my needs as a sc2 player? I have hyper mobility in my hands which makes the speed I can move my fingers very slow and coordination worse. In the past I solved this by using a razer naga where I could control everything with my thumbs but the mouse is gone now and I am finding it hard to adjust to a keyboard. Since I am making a switch anyways should I try the core?

To give you an idea of how bad my fingers and control is I cannot hold a pencil properly or play the guitar.



With TheCore you don't have to move your whole hand or wrist. Your fingers don't ever have to travel very far from their resting positions (JIOP for righties and WERG for lefties).

Your fingers still do a lot when playing with the core, but you don't have to move them very far to do anything.

At first, it will really really unintutive, because you aren't used to having your hand on that side of the keyboard, but eventually it feels really nice and smooth.
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
May 19 2013 19:47 GMT
#4506
On May 20 2013 04:35 tEEYOUNEE wrote:
Would TheCore fit my needs as a sc2 player? I have hyper mobility in my hands which makes the speed I can move my fingers very slow and coordination worse. In the past I solved this by using a razer naga where I could control everything with my thumbs but the mouse is gone now and I am finding it hard to adjust to a keyboard. Since I am making a switch anyways should I try the core?

To give you an idea of how bad my fingers and control is I cannot hold a pencil properly or play the guitar.

TheCore requires way less hand motion than standard does, as every key on this layout is probably closer to your hand than it is in standard. I'd definitely recommend it myself.
jjakji fan
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
May 19 2013 20:09 GMT
#4507
On May 20 2013 04:05 Borskey wrote:
Oh, I know one thing you're missing out on:

The ease of ctrl+clicking on a unit type to select all of them, and then hitting the button to add. With your setup you have to ctrl+click, then let go of ctrl and press shift, and then hit the button.

Ie, you go to your rally, there's some marines, some widow mines, and some medivacs. with the normal Core setup you just hold CTRL down the entire time, click marines, press 0. Click Widowmines, press -, click medivacs, press ;.

But you've got to toggle between ctrl and shift a bunch of times rather than just holding ctrl.

If you're used to boxing your units instead, that won't really be a hindrance at all. For Zerg though, ctrl+clicking is definitely the preferred method because of egg hotkeying.

Actually, Ctrl+Shift can be used pretty handily with rally points if the main army is next to the rally point. It's a bit overly situational, but that limitation isn't enough to deter me.

Anyone else got anything?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-20 03:55:26
May 20 2013 03:13 GMT
#4508
Concerning Hallucination:

We put archon on the same key as hallucination so that you could hold the key down if you wanted a massive ball of melee tank. Remember, for a 2 key combination, 2 fingers is better than 1. But if you're holding down a key for a large number of repetitive actions, its better to have the 1 key. Immortals and Colossus work well for this function too, so you should choose what you think is best for that function IMO and leave the phoenix on the default key (this is the fastest combo).

EDIT:
@anty
I think the way you have it is best, if we could change the function of shift+click and ctrl+click. But because we cannot do that, the current default is the next best thing. Pretty sure the only functionality you are losing is combinations with ctrl and shift like egg hotkeying.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Tib
Profile Joined June 2012
France13 Posts
May 20 2013 10:10 GMT
#4509
Hey, i'm starting using The Core and the 10control groups are superb, but there just a little bug, when i tried to "create" a control group with ctrl+shift+à ( because im using french azerty keyboard), it doesn't work, but it works for others nine control groups. Is there any conflits in french azerty with the à ? except that, evrything works and yesterday was the "bronze league day" but i feel now it is a little bit better , in a few days i will be in the point of no return !!!!!
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 20 2013 12:35 GMT
#4510
@Tib
that is probably your default language swap hotkey for your OS. see FAQ#2
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Tib
Profile Joined June 2012
France13 Posts
May 20 2013 14:13 GMT
#4511
On May 20 2013 21:35 JaKaTaK wrote:
@Tib
that is probably your default language swap hotkey for your OS. see FAQ#2


Thanks !! it worked, you're thinking about everything. Now i got all i need to switch with The Core, just need to train a lot and experiment.
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
May 20 2013 15:59 GMT
#4512
I tried playing with the core last week, was using the ZMR version, and while I like the concept of the setup, I find that the hotkeys are just too foreign for me so much so that it even inhibits the learning process.

Thinking about it, I think my issue is related to the fact that I am a decent typist and I work on a keyboard all day, so anything that involves moving my hands from the standard position becomes an issue. When I see the letter R, I know that means I slightly extend my left index finger and BAM, R.

Is there a setup where I could use the layout of the core but with my left hand sitting in the standard keyboard position?
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
Kalma
Profile Joined January 2012
16 Posts
May 20 2013 18:57 GMT
#4513
@Jermstuddog
The Chameleon
Vanngar
Profile Joined May 2013
United States30 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-20 19:13:17
May 20 2013 19:12 GMT
#4514
On May 21 2013 00:59 Jermstuddog wrote:
I tried playing with the core last week, was using the ZMR version, and while I like the concept of the setup, I find that the hotkeys are just too foreign for me so much so that it even inhibits the learning process.

Thinking about it, I think my issue is related to the fact that I am a decent typist and I work on a keyboard all day, so anything that involves moving my hands from the standard position becomes an issue. When I see the letter R, I know that means I slightly extend my left index finger and BAM, R.

Is there a setup where I could use the layout of the core but with my left hand sitting in the standard keyboard position?

Try turning off the command card things and learn keys by their position and what should be on them, rather than their letter.
That's what I did, since I use Colemak on a keyboard with QWERTY keycaps, so I can't use it for reference.

As for the normal home position, I don't think that's gonna be possible unless you can somehow make your spacebar and something else turn into a Ctrl and Shift key and comfortably hit Alt with your thumb
Borskey
Profile Joined February 2012
160 Posts
May 20 2013 19:17 GMT
#4515
On May 21 2013 00:59 Jermstuddog wrote:
Is there a setup where I could use the layout of the core but with my left hand sitting in the standard keyboard position?


No- you can't just transpose the keys over, because the layout is specifically designed to have your thumb operating the ctrl, alt, and shift keys. For your left hand, the only position this works is on the right side of the keyboard.

It's weird at first- but I actually find it's more comfortable now having my left hand on the right than having it on the left ever was, because my hands aren't so far apart.

It doesn't take that long to get used to if you fully go into it. Just play the campaign or something, so you don't lose a ton of ladder points.
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-20 19:35:50
May 20 2013 19:33 GMT
#4516
On May 20 2013 12:13 JaKaTaK wrote:
@anty
I think the way you have it is best, if we could change the function of shift+click and ctrl+click. But because we cannot do that, the current default is the next best thing. Pretty sure the only functionality you are losing is combinations with ctrl and shift like egg hotkeying.

Maybe there's a way to change Shift+Ability to Ctrl+Ability?

EDIT: Meh. I was hoping we missed something like with rapidfire.
Borskey
Profile Joined February 2012
160 Posts
May 20 2013 20:35 GMT
#4517
On May 21 2013 04:33 Antylamon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 20 2013 12:13 JaKaTaK wrote:
@anty
I think the way you have it is best, if we could change the function of shift+click and ctrl+click. But because we cannot do that, the current default is the next best thing. Pretty sure the only functionality you are losing is combinations with ctrl and shift like egg hotkeying.

Maybe there's a way to change Shift+Ability to Ctrl+Ability?

EDIT: Meh. I was hoping we missed something like with rapidfire.


You can use autohotkey for that. It's something outside of the game, so Jakatak doesn't want it in the core, but it can be done.
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
May 20 2013 20:37 GMT
#4518
Actually, I was looking for something within Blizz's hotkey editor. Anything other than that is against the ToS.
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-20 23:42:21
May 20 2013 23:42 GMT
#4519
On May 21 2013 05:37 Antylamon wrote:
Actually, I was looking for something within Blizz's hotkey editor. Anything other than that is against the ToS.


Unless there's a way to physically move the modifiers around through a hardware mod, then no. No software solution to shitty modifiers exist within Blizzard's ToS.
UnseenAlchemist
Profile Joined March 2013
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-21 09:50:02
May 21 2013 05:33 GMT
#4520
I'm an idiot.
I have no idea what is going on
Prev 1 224 225 226 227 228 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 76
TKL 49
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5026
Bisu 1945
Soulkey 1609
EffOrt 828
Mini 596
Horang2 388
Larva 357
ZerO 327
ggaemo 255
actioN 251
[ Show more ]
Yoon 116
Dewaltoss 112
Mind 92
sorry 84
hero 76
Shinee 70
Sharp 70
Barracks 65
Pusan 57
Snow 48
Hyun 43
Bale 33
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 20
Terrorterran 18
Rock 17
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 11
Noble 9
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5500
qojqva2516
Dendi1281
420jenkins290
League of Legends
Reynor65
Counter-Strike
fl0m3122
x6flipin1212
Fnx 673
edward40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes365
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1272
hiko1039
B2W.Neo448
DeMusliM299
XBOCT236
Livibee231
Liquid`VortiX206
QueenE98
FrodaN69
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV72
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 76
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV616
League of Legends
• Nemesis3487
• TFBlade587
Other Games
• Shiphtur474
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 57m
Patches Events
23h 57m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.