• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:04
CEST 21:04
KST 04:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8661 users

[D] PvZ Beating Stephano Style Roaches - Page 76

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 Next
Please have some semblance of an idea of what you're talking about.
La1
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom659 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 18:44:01
June 12 2012 18:43 GMT
#1501
can anybody post replays or does anybody want to discuss the current muta transition that is going on ? I am mid to low master on the eu ladder and I am comming up vs zergs who open the exact early 3 base roach style and when they make their 1st 2 rounds of roaches they check your defence, they also throw up a hidden spire and basically go mass mass muta of 3-4 base which quite frankly is game winning vs me in most situations..
I find if they scout you and see your playing the long game and going for a 3rd they throw up the spire..

i read the last 6 pages and saw nothing mentioned about this but would like peoples thoughts..

I beat it once yesterday when i saw the spire building and i basically just 1a'ed the guy and moved across the map with about 4 immortals and 7 gates.. he never made any mutas as he was forced to make roaches but i won.. i do find the second they get those mutas out i am dead, i have started not getting a second robo and start getting the twilight + teching to archons instead of colousus and just hoping my force fields are better as i expect this transition a lot now
pff
La1
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom659 Posts
June 13 2012 00:28 GMT
#1502
On June 13 2012 03:43 La1 wrote:
can anybody post replays or does anybody want to discuss the current muta transition that is going on ? I am mid to low master on the eu ladder and I am comming up vs zergs who open the exact early 3 base roach style and when they make their 1st 2 rounds of roaches they check your defence, they also throw up a hidden spire and basically go mass mass muta of 3-4 base which quite frankly is game winning vs me in most situations..
I find if they scout you and see your playing the long game and going for a 3rd they throw up the spire..

i read the last 6 pages and saw nothing mentioned about this but would like peoples thoughts..

I beat it once yesterday when i saw the spire building and i basically just 1a'ed the guy and moved across the map with about 4 immortals and 7 gates.. he never made any mutas as he was forced to make roaches but i won.. i do find the second they get those mutas out i am dead, i have started not getting a second robo and start getting the twilight + teching to archons instead of colousus and just hoping my force fields are better as i expect this transition a lot now



anybody watching IPL can see huk getting rolled by this at the moment
pff
LeafBlower
Profile Joined April 2010
United States115 Posts
June 13 2012 03:23 GMT
#1503
I've gotten pretty good at holding off the maxed out roaches after taking a quick third after a robo and gates, however i still have 0 idea on how to beat a player who gets overlord transport and speed fairly quickly. i rely on the sim city to hold off the pushes, but this just negates that. any tips on how to change up something to be better prepared? there's a replay below of an example.

http://replayfu.com/r/xGDPv
T.BonePickens
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States50 Posts
June 13 2012 04:14 GMT
#1504
I'm wondering how many people have tried using a variation of the YufFE expand. I find with the super greedy zerg meta game that I can go gate, nexus while still being super safe against early ling timings. I've been using this build with a high amount of success. It allows for a earlier cyber core which helps getting warpgates faster to put on more pressure.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=315275

Zergs that take a late gas can do very little pressure against toss without having ling speed.

I'm just trying to help point out other builds that aren't FFE
All Greatness begins Small
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
June 13 2012 04:40 GMT
#1505
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
jackalope1234
Profile Joined December 2010
122 Posts
June 13 2012 07:16 GMT
#1506
Everyones trying to take a fath third with robo. Just use stargate and then no worries about muta transition without him dieing if you scout actively.
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-13 10:31:57
June 13 2012 10:28 GMT
#1507
On June 13 2012 13:40 ZeromuS wrote:
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.


I seem to find that the 4gate robo into fast third just dies to any kind of early roach ling drops.

Edit: By early I do of course mean 11/12 minute
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
June 14 2012 14:11 GMT
#1508
On June 13 2012 13:40 ZeromuS wrote:
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.


Has this started happening yet? I predicted months ago that roach spam + drops would be the next big trend after P's learned to beat pure roach spam with sentries, but I've quit playing, and I don't know if it's happening now. Any VODs available?
etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
June 14 2012 14:19 GMT
#1509
It happens. I have seen it on high level streams ie tubbythefat.
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
June 14 2012 14:21 GMT
#1510
Yeah saw it happens a few times in the Playhem too. It's not standard yet, but it definitely happens more often than a few months ago.
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 14:26:59
June 14 2012 14:26 GMT
#1511
On June 14 2012 23:11 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2012 13:40 ZeromuS wrote:
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.


Has this started happening yet? I predicted months ago that roach spam + drops would be the next big trend after P's learned to beat pure roach spam with sentries, but I've quit playing, and I don't know if it's happening now. Any VODs available?


Yeah its happening, Curious vs MC in the MLG Spring arena, and most any ZvP on Daybreak now when the Protoss has a third base. I've played against it a few times on ladder as well.

Also, why did you quit playing? Not even for fun? D:
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
ELYSiUMlol
Profile Joined November 2011
United States89 Posts
June 14 2012 14:34 GMT
#1512
Do protosses still lose to this? I feel like everyone I play just takes a third behind 10 sentries and there's no weak point. I love the style of play though so if someone has a way to keep this viable I think that'd be interesting.
bay life
LeafBlower
Profile Joined April 2010
United States115 Posts
June 14 2012 19:01 GMT
#1513
On June 14 2012 23:11 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2012 13:40 ZeromuS wrote:
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.


Has this started happening yet? I predicted months ago that roach spam + drops would be the next big trend after P's learned to beat pure roach spam with sentries, but I've quit playing, and I don't know if it's happening now. Any VODs available?

in the replay i posted a few posts up, it shows off this strategy and my attempt at stopping it. i'm only mid masters, but the guy executed it fairly well and i'm still struggling to find out what to do. one interesting thing i've seen sase do is completely skip observers and instantly make a shitload of immortals, using hallucination to scout. this may help get a couple of more immortals out in time, which may help a lot.

http://replayfu.com/r/xGDPv
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 19:45:15
June 14 2012 19:44 GMT
#1514
On June 15 2012 04:01 LeafBlower wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 14 2012 23:11 kcdc wrote:
On June 13 2012 13:40 ZeromuS wrote:
I want to know what we are supposed to do against the next variation the max roach -- the drops that happen in the main alongside roaches at the third. Forcefields are so much more useless now.


Has this started happening yet? I predicted months ago that roach spam + drops would be the next big trend after P's learned to beat pure roach spam with sentries, but I've quit playing, and I don't know if it's happening now. Any VODs available?

in the replay i posted a few posts up, it shows off this strategy and my attempt at stopping it. i'm only mid masters, but the guy executed it fairly well and i'm still struggling to find out what to do. one interesting thing i've seen sase do is completely skip observers and instantly make a shitload of immortals, using hallucination to scout. this may help get a couple of more immortals out in time, which may help a lot.

http://replayfu.com/r/xGDPv


Check this game, Squirtle vs Violet, Cloud Kingdom, Red Bull Lan:

http://server1.redbulllan.com/production/dynamic/starcraft/replays/CloudKingdomLE_2.SC2Replay

While defending this attack in Cloud K is much easier than in other maps (aka Daybreak), the key is good multitask that allows very good scout, that would prolly allowed Squirtle to beat this attack in any map. He had a sick scout, with 2 obs plus hallucination. I still find funny is the fact that Squirtle totally demolished the multi pronged attack, but Violet was still in the game u.u
Chicken gank op
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
June 15 2012 06:39 GMT
#1515
The drop play is a pretty disconcerting concept, and I'm still wrapping my head around stopping this build on shakuras. Anyone with tips on a base/sim city setup that does well vs it on that map would be a welcome friend to me, because I can't seem to figure anything out. If I take the close third I end up in a weird engagement between my nat and third (open space = bad) and if I take the far third I feel I'm spread too thin. As a result I've just been doing 2 base all ins on that map, but if zergs start incorporating drop play with the roaches I feel that my plan may just fall apart on the safer maps, as well. I'd have to see some replays or vods of it, but it's a pretty interesting and frightful concept.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Braric
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada184 Posts
June 15 2012 06:50 GMT
#1516
In it's current state PvZ feels like a complete and utter joke from the Protoss standpoint, If you somehow manage to forcefield perfectly and micro multiple fronts in order to trade cost effectively (One mistake pretty much costs you the same) you are still screwed going into the late game. Having to rely on a gimmicky 3 base timing before Brood Lords which good Zergs can stop is pretty abysmal, even more gimmicky is having to rely on a mass carrier transition late game going undetected or a really lucky Archon toilet.

The simple thought that Zergs are starting to use Overlord drops makes me cringe for the future of Protoss in this matchup. Not to mention Zerg are finally transitioning into Mutalisk again after they realized it was never bad to begin with (as demonstrated by DRG) making everything even more frustrating than it already is.

It's not even hard for medicore Zergs to execute these strategies at this point, as long as they got injecting down to a good level. (which is actually really easy considering they never have to micro nor place buildings) It's very disheartening to watch replays of my Zerg counterparts getting supply blocked for 5-10 seconds at a time and still producing and macroing like a top end Zerg because of the larva mechanic and its stacking abilities.

2 base isn't even viable anymore considering theres almost zero solid ways to mask any sort of timing attack from overlords, pardon my qq but this match up just makes me so angry.

User was warned for this post
"Hoodor" -Hodor
Greenhit
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States200 Posts
June 15 2012 06:53 GMT
#1517
ZenexLife vs Im_seed was a good example of that in TSL4 qualifier
"And where do you live Simon?" "In the weak and the wounded, Doc."
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
June 15 2012 12:00 GMT
#1518
I'm gonna tell you straight up: never turtle and go 2-base colossus against zerg unless they're really bad and didn't take a 3rd after your FFE. DRG does this kind of mass style, but does a tech switch to mutas after his initial roaches die. And mutas off of 6-8 geysers is TERRIFYING, especially if you decided to go colossus.

The best ways I've seen of holding it is going for an early robo, getting a lot of immortals and sentries, and just fighting in chokes while taking a 3rd. OR opening up single stargate with 1 void ray and a bunch of phoenixes while securing a 3rd. If you do not take a 3rd by 12:00, you should lose to zerg in the macro.

I think FFE has been figured out and there's not a whole lot of further exploration there. Protoss, at this point, can probably go back to experimenting with 1-base openings due to the metagame change. We've seen protoss invent a thousand different ways to open in PvP over the past year...I'm sure some of those ideas could be carried over into PvZ.

User was warned for this post
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
polyphonyEX
Profile Joined May 2012
United States2539 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-15 12:07:49
June 15 2012 12:07 GMT
#1519
edit: wrong thread T_T
covetousrat
Profile Joined October 2010
2109 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-15 16:11:20
June 15 2012 16:10 GMT
#1520
On June 15 2012 15:53 Greenhit wrote:
ZenexLife vs Im_seed was a good example of that in TSL4 qualifier


Another one is Seed vs Hyun on Entombed Valley on TSL qualifiers Round 5. Its kinda scary when zerg sees Tos getting a fast 3rd and responding by getting a 4th with Macro hatch and drop. Seed could have died so easily without those Force Fields around drops. Roach Drop is getting very common lately and seems to be another phase of the Roach max army.
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 751
SteadfastSC546
EnkiAlexander 76
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 546
UpATreeSC 110
BRAT_OK 57
JuggernautJason51
PtitDrogo 40
ZombieGrub20
MindelVK 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29924
Soulkey 307
Dewaltoss 130
Mini 80
Trap 31
ToSsGirL 25
Shine 19
NotJumperer 4
Dota 2
Dendi1014
qojqva811
Counter-Strike
fl0m1398
shoxiejesuss744
Fnx 725
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King114
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2778
Khaldor2168
Liquid`Hasu778
Other Games
Grubby2856
ArmadaUGS1146
B2W.Neo603
ceh9520
byalli495
C9.Mang0168
Pyrionflax93
Chillindude81
Trikslyr55
Railgan21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 12
• Reevou 6
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 29
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• 80smullet 18
• FirePhoenix10
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1153
Other Games
• imaqtpie1079
• Scarra557
• Shiphtur311
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
14h 56m
OSC
17h 56m
Stellar Fest
17h 56m
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 17h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.