• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:02
CEST 11:02
KST 18:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)32Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8975 users

[D] PvZ Beating Stephano Style Roaches - Page 77

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 Next
Please have some semblance of an idea of what you're talking about.
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
June 15 2012 17:40 GMT
#1521
On June 16 2012 01:10 covetousrat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2012 15:53 Greenhit wrote:
ZenexLife vs Im_seed was a good example of that in TSL4 qualifier


Another one is Seed vs Hyun on Entombed Valley on TSL qualifiers Round 5. Its kinda scary when zerg sees Tos getting a fast 3rd and responding by getting a 4th with Macro hatch and drop. Seed could have died so easily without those Force Fields around drops. Roach Drop is getting very common lately and seems to be another phase of the Roach max army.


Just now in the EWM:

FXOWhale vs SlayerS_Brown game 1.

Whale does a roach drop in main kills nexus while killing the third base with ling roach and tossing lings into the nat on daybreak.

I really don't know what protoss is supposed to do, forcefields do nothing against the drops and brown was able to trade zealots for roaches and drones early in the game. Zerg was only at 112 supply at 11 minutes with only 2 queens on 3 hatch. I think brown lost 10 zealots but killed a queen 7 drones and 12 roaches.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
June 15 2012 21:36 GMT
#1522
I would like to see replays of that, but it sounds like the only way to not die is to either have picture perfect army splits in 3 places (highly unlikely to happen), or intercept the drop when it's on the way with stargate units...and even then that might not work, as Mondragon showed us so long ago.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Masvidal
Profile Joined April 2012
Korea (South)213 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-19 04:12:56
June 17 2012 08:31 GMT
#1523

User was warned for this post

User was warned for editing out his warning

User was warned for editing out his warning again
"Teamliquid is a place for starcraft, not boobs." -autoexec
Borkbokbork
Profile Joined April 2011
United States123 Posts
June 17 2012 08:36 GMT
#1524
Did anyone else think about how funny it is that we have a 76 page thread on how to beat roaches? Roaches r gud unit mkay.
qi neng jin ru ren yi, dan qiu wu kui wo xin
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
June 17 2012 09:02 GMT
#1525
I find it more weird that we have a 76 page thread on a build that has gone quite out of fashion in Korea, where no one seemed to complain in the first place. MC demonstrated just how all in it was in Red Bull LAN, and that it is simply a learn to play issue on the most part.

I would like to ask what overmaking cannons does and whether it is worth it. I still think Zerg maxing on roaches and nothing with them is a victory for Protoss as long as they took a third. Whenever I see lots of Protosses play, they will sometimes defend the roach pressure, but let Zerg get a 4th, spine wall and 15 broodlords before they take a 4th themselves. Why is getting a pre-emptive mothership so uncommon when Toss is playing passive, and why doesn't Toss execute the 3 base timing that hits before broodlords when there is a 5 minute timing window after the roach pressure where Toss can literally max out and go. You have an unbeatable death ball, use it.

I still don't understand how some Protoss players do neither a timing, nor get a pre-emptive mothership. Their army is untouchable outside broodlords anyway.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 09:11:03
June 17 2012 09:08 GMT
#1526
On June 17 2012 18:02 Micket wrote:
I find it more weird that we have a 76 page thread on a build that has gone quite out of fashion in Korea, where no one seemed to complain in the first place. MC demonstrated just how all in it was in Red Bull LAN, and that it is simply a learn to play issue on the most part.

I would like to ask what overmaking cannons does and whether it is worth it. I still think Zerg maxing on roaches and nothing with them is a victory for Protoss as long as they took a third. Whenever I see lots of Protosses play, they will sometimes defend the roach pressure, but let Zerg get a 4th, spine wall and 15 broodlords before they take a 4th themselves. Why is getting a pre-emptive mothership so uncommon when Toss is playing passive, and why doesn't Toss execute the 3 base timing that hits before broodlords when there is a 5 minute timing window after the roach pressure where Toss can literally max out and go. You have an unbeatable death ball, use it.

I still don't understand how some Protoss players do neither a timing, nor get a pre-emptive mothership. Their army is untouchable outside broodlords anyway.

Funny you should mention the Red Bull Lan, because at that Lan, top Protosses Parting and Squirtle repeated died to the mass roach push even though they did builds specifically designed to counter it.

Find me a pro game where the Stephano Style Roach max fails, then Protoss sits on his ass and lets Zerg successfully tech to broods. I can only think of about maybe 1 game in which this happens.
Moderator
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 09:20:24
June 17 2012 09:17 GMT
#1527
On June 17 2012 18:08 NrGmonk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2012 18:02 Micket wrote:
I find it more weird that we have a 76 page thread on a build that has gone quite out of fashion in Korea, where no one seemed to complain in the first place. MC demonstrated just how all in it was in Red Bull LAN, and that it is simply a learn to play issue on the most part.

I would like to ask what overmaking cannons does and whether it is worth it. I still think Zerg maxing on roaches and nothing with them is a victory for Protoss as long as they took a third. Whenever I see lots of Protosses play, they will sometimes defend the roach pressure, but let Zerg get a 4th, spine wall and 15 broodlords before they take a 4th themselves. Why is getting a pre-emptive mothership so uncommon when Toss is playing passive, and why doesn't Toss execute the 3 base timing that hits before broodlords when there is a 5 minute timing window after the roach pressure where Toss can literally max out and go. You have an unbeatable death ball, use it.

I still don't understand how some Protoss players do neither a timing, nor get a pre-emptive mothership. Their army is untouchable outside broodlords anyway.

Funny you should mention the Red Bull Lan, because top Protosses Parting and Squirtle repeated died to the mass roach push even though they did builds specifically designed to counter it.

Find me a pro game where the Stephano Style Roach max fails, then Protoss sits on his ass and lets Zerg successfully tech to broods. I can only think of about maybe 1 game in which this happens.

Yeah, you're right, they did die to it, and they majorly fucked up as well. Parting also died to the 2 medivac timing of MVP which has been a TvP staple build for a year.

Stephano vs White Ra IPL4 springs to mind at that as a game where White-Ra managed to throw a lead.

Edit: JYP DIMAGA on dual site at HSC4 as well.
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
June 17 2012 09:20 GMT
#1528
On June 17 2012 17:31 Masvidal wrote:
I have no problem exploiting the current metagame to roll zergs in pvz. I have a 100% win ratio in pvz at high master level in pvz. If i got zerg opponents in every game id probably be rank 1 GM by now. There are SO many options as protoss to kill a 3 hatch before gas zerg, and almost every zerg plays this style. Its becoming laughably easy. I honestly have more trouble vs terran than vs zerg. I open FFEmost times, but sometimes I start out with an almost pvp style 4gate 2gas build with a warp prism and expand as i move out and kill drones, chase queens around, force them to leave 1 base to die, or force a roach warren up stupid early and macro up behind almost pointless aggression just for the sake of forcing him to not drone up. Even so, i still find ffe to be versatile as hell and the best way to open. At any point, if you can cut probes and throw up mass production and switch into a full on aggressive style while Z is in the dark and catch them offf guard, you should be able to either kill them or apply enough pressure to stop them from droning like mad and buy 5 minutes breathing room to expand, add more gates or even a 2nd robo and match them blow for blow. And, silly as it seems, even against the best zergs, you can ffe into 2 stargate mass cannon, skip warpgate for air upgrades, mass voidray to fleetbeacon and defensive mothership, addanother sg and cybercore, and justt kill hatches with mass vr carrier and take a 3rd, mass recall any time you like, and cover everything with cannons like its going out of style. The guy who made a thread about this was really onto something; ive been able to stay 3base and beat 6base zrgs who max on hydra infestor with a maxed VR carrier army by fighting by 15 cannons and killing bases recallingand repeating while adding more cannons. Having many styles ur comfortable playing vs z saves a snitload of headache.


Trying to read this gave me a massive headache.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 09:38:47
June 17 2012 09:34 GMT
#1529
On June 17 2012 18:17 Micket wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2012 18:08 NrGmonk wrote:
On June 17 2012 18:02 Micket wrote:
I find it more weird that we have a 76 page thread on a build that has gone quite out of fashion in Korea, where no one seemed to complain in the first place. MC demonstrated just how all in it was in Red Bull LAN, and that it is simply a learn to play issue on the most part.

I would like to ask what overmaking cannons does and whether it is worth it. I still think Zerg maxing on roaches and nothing with them is a victory for Protoss as long as they took a third. Whenever I see lots of Protosses play, they will sometimes defend the roach pressure, but let Zerg get a 4th, spine wall and 15 broodlords before they take a 4th themselves. Why is getting a pre-emptive mothership so uncommon when Toss is playing passive, and why doesn't Toss execute the 3 base timing that hits before broodlords when there is a 5 minute timing window after the roach pressure where Toss can literally max out and go. You have an unbeatable death ball, use it.

I still don't understand how some Protoss players do neither a timing, nor get a pre-emptive mothership. Their army is untouchable outside broodlords anyway.

Funny you should mention the Red Bull Lan, because top Protosses Parting and Squirtle repeated died to the mass roach push even though they did builds specifically designed to counter it.

Find me a pro game where the Stephano Style Roach max fails, then Protoss sits on his ass and lets Zerg successfully tech to broods. I can only think of about maybe 1 game in which this happens.

Yeah, you're right, they did die to it, and they majorly fucked up as well. Parting also died to the 2 medivac timing of MVP which has been a TvP staple build for a year.

Stephano vs White Ra IPL4 springs to mind at that as a game where White-Ra managed to throw a lead.

Edit: JYP DIMAGA on dual site at HSC4 as well.

Stephano vs White-ra was the only game I could think of too. I'll give you that one.
IIRC, JYP vs Dimaga on dual sight had nothing to do with stephano roach max. JYP did throw a huge lead, but Dimaga opened roach ling infestor. Can you provide an example of another game where Protoss gets ahead from roach max and doesn't close it out? I agree that Protoss should be able to close it out if the roach max fails, but it just hasn't happened in a pro game yet as you're describing.

Parting did fuck up a lot in the game on Daybreak. Squirtle did not fuck up majorly though either on Antiga nor the first game on Cloud Kingdom before the regame, and still lost/was put into an unfavorable position.
Moderator
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
June 17 2012 09:44 GMT
#1530
On June 17 2012 18:34 NrGmonk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2012 18:17 Micket wrote:
On June 17 2012 18:08 NrGmonk wrote:
On June 17 2012 18:02 Micket wrote:
I find it more weird that we have a 76 page thread on a build that has gone quite out of fashion in Korea, where no one seemed to complain in the first place. MC demonstrated just how all in it was in Red Bull LAN, and that it is simply a learn to play issue on the most part.

I would like to ask what overmaking cannons does and whether it is worth it. I still think Zerg maxing on roaches and nothing with them is a victory for Protoss as long as they took a third. Whenever I see lots of Protosses play, they will sometimes defend the roach pressure, but let Zerg get a 4th, spine wall and 15 broodlords before they take a 4th themselves. Why is getting a pre-emptive mothership so uncommon when Toss is playing passive, and why doesn't Toss execute the 3 base timing that hits before broodlords when there is a 5 minute timing window after the roach pressure where Toss can literally max out and go. You have an unbeatable death ball, use it.

I still don't understand how some Protoss players do neither a timing, nor get a pre-emptive mothership. Their army is untouchable outside broodlords anyway.

Funny you should mention the Red Bull Lan, because top Protosses Parting and Squirtle repeated died to the mass roach push even though they did builds specifically designed to counter it.

Find me a pro game where the Stephano Style Roach max fails, then Protoss sits on his ass and lets Zerg successfully tech to broods. I can only think of about maybe 1 game in which this happens.

Yeah, you're right, they did die to it, and they majorly fucked up as well. Parting also died to the 2 medivac timing of MVP which has been a TvP staple build for a year.

Stephano vs White Ra IPL4 springs to mind at that as a game where White-Ra managed to throw a lead.

Edit: JYP DIMAGA on dual site at HSC4 as well.

Stephano vs White-ra was the only game I could think of too. I'll give you that one.
IIRC, JYP vs Dimaga on dual sight had nothing to do with stephano roach max. JYP did throw a huge lead, but Dimaga opened roach ling infestor. Can you provide an example of another game where Protoss gets ahead from roach max and doesn't close it out? I agree that Protoss should be able to close it out if the roach max fails, but it just hasn't happened in a pro game yet as you're describing.

Parting did fuck up a lot in the game on Daybreak. Squirtle did not fuck up majorly though either on Antiga nor the first game on Cloud Kingdom before the regame, and still lost/was put into an unfavorable position.

Ehh maybe you're right. I know thad it happens a lot in ladder though but then again, everything happens on ladder.
Masvidal
Profile Joined April 2012
Korea (South)213 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 20:16:12
June 17 2012 20:09 GMT
#1531
I guess the PvZ guide I'm writing will go elsewhere, since it won't be very well-received here based on my observations of this thread. For a 77 page thread on how to beat this strategy, though, you'd think there would be more interest in how to play against it and win consistently. Oh well, maybe another time. If this thread hits 200 pages I'm posting it regardless and if it gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, I'll deal with the heat when it comes. :-/

In hindsight, though, I supposed I should have at least written a helpful, informative guide before posting in the strategy forum; e-cred is important. I guess I haven't learned a damn thing in like 5 years on this site. It's gotten a lot bigger since SC2.
"Teamliquid is a place for starcraft, not boobs." -autoexec
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
June 18 2012 00:12 GMT
#1532
On June 18 2012 05:09 Masvidal wrote:
I guess the PvZ guide I'm writing will go elsewhere, since it won't be very well-received here based on my observations of this thread. For a 77 page thread on how to beat this strategy, though, you'd think there would be more interest in how to play against it and win consistently. Oh well, maybe another time. If this thread hits 200 pages I'm posting it regardless and if it gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, I'll deal with the heat when it comes. :-/

In hindsight, though, I supposed I should have at least written a helpful, informative guide before posting in the strategy forum; e-cred is important. I guess I haven't learned a damn thing in like 5 years on this site. It's gotten a lot bigger since SC2.


So you have a magical guide to stopping the stephano 200/200 roach push that no progamer knows of, yet you don't want to post it because you think it wont be well received? Yes, I can see where the problem lies. (Technically, you're right. This isn't the place of it. But if you posted it in its own thread on the strategy forum and linked it here, it would be the right thing to do.)

Also realize that no one here thinks that its unbeatable. Its just that its very hard to beat, unlike from the zerg point of view where its extremely easy to execute. + the fact that when you add in stuff like drops and multiprong attacks, its damn near impossible to not lose at least one nexus. At this point, as toss, you either have to execute a very well timed attack that hits right before or as the zerg starts to mass roaches, or you have to be a lot better than the zerg player (ie: knowing exactly where he is going to attack, perfect army split, perfect forcefields, and probably a great deal of harass).
Masvidal
Profile Joined April 2012
Korea (South)213 Posts
June 18 2012 20:13 GMT
#1533
If you say so . . . I disagree, and I use to whine about this very topic before I decided to just figure it out, but we're all entitled to our opinions. I have too much time on my hands :/
"Teamliquid is a place for starcraft, not boobs." -autoexec
Fossa
Profile Joined July 2011
United States67 Posts
June 18 2012 20:22 GMT
#1534
seriously just open stargate, and if they're stubborn, continue to chrono out void rays. or continously chrono immortals and 2 base blink +2 allin with sentries

User was warned for this post
Fogetaboudit
Profile Joined July 2010
United States232 Posts
June 18 2012 21:21 GMT
#1535
On June 18 2012 09:12 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 18 2012 05:09 Masvidal wrote:
I guess the PvZ guide I'm writing will go elsewhere, since it won't be very well-received here based on my observations of this thread. For a 77 page thread on how to beat this strategy, though, you'd think there would be more interest in how to play against it and win consistently. Oh well, maybe another time. If this thread hits 200 pages I'm posting it regardless and if it gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, I'll deal with the heat when it comes. :-/

In hindsight, though, I supposed I should have at least written a helpful, informative guide before posting in the strategy forum; e-cred is important. I guess I haven't learned a damn thing in like 5 years on this site. It's gotten a lot bigger since SC2.


So you have a magical guide to stopping the stephano 200/200 roach push that no progamer knows of, yet you don't want to post it because you think it wont be well received? Yes, I can see where the problem lies. (Technically, you're right. This isn't the place of it. But if you posted it in its own thread on the strategy forum and linked it here, it would be the right thing to do.)

Also realize that no one here thinks that its unbeatable. Its just that its very hard to beat, unlike from the zerg point of view where its extremely easy to execute. + the fact that when you add in stuff like drops and multiprong attacks, its damn near impossible to not lose at least one nexus. At this point, as toss, you either have to execute a very well timed attack that hits right before or as the zerg starts to mass roaches, or you have to be a lot better than the zerg player (ie: knowing exactly where he is going to attack, perfect army split, perfect forcefields, and probably a great deal of harass).

This sentiment that Pro Gamers play perfectly is absurd, if they did, the metagame would have never changes and developed in the first place. It's very possible (and actually quite likely) that there are superior strategies that amateurs use, that are not widely discovered yet.

I doubt he has a magical guide, I'm willing to bet that its probably just common sense mixed with a little thinking outside the box. (This is how I developed my PvZ)
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-19 01:43:25
June 19 2012 01:43 GMT
#1536
On June 19 2012 06:21 Fogetaboudit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 18 2012 09:12 Excludos wrote:
On June 18 2012 05:09 Masvidal wrote:
I guess the PvZ guide I'm writing will go elsewhere, since it won't be very well-received here based on my observations of this thread. For a 77 page thread on how to beat this strategy, though, you'd think there would be more interest in how to play against it and win consistently. Oh well, maybe another time. If this thread hits 200 pages I'm posting it regardless and if it gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, I'll deal with the heat when it comes. :-/

In hindsight, though, I supposed I should have at least written a helpful, informative guide before posting in the strategy forum; e-cred is important. I guess I haven't learned a damn thing in like 5 years on this site. It's gotten a lot bigger since SC2.


So you have a magical guide to stopping the stephano 200/200 roach push that no progamer knows of, yet you don't want to post it because you think it wont be well received? Yes, I can see where the problem lies. (Technically, you're right. This isn't the place of it. But if you posted it in its own thread on the strategy forum and linked it here, it would be the right thing to do.)

Also realize that no one here thinks that its unbeatable. Its just that its very hard to beat, unlike from the zerg point of view where its extremely easy to execute. + the fact that when you add in stuff like drops and multiprong attacks, its damn near impossible to not lose at least one nexus. At this point, as toss, you either have to execute a very well timed attack that hits right before or as the zerg starts to mass roaches, or you have to be a lot better than the zerg player (ie: knowing exactly where he is going to attack, perfect army split, perfect forcefields, and probably a great deal of harass).

This sentiment that Pro Gamers play perfectly is absurd, if they did, the metagame would have never changes and developed in the first place. It's very possible (and actually quite likely) that there are superior strategies that amateurs use, that are not widely discovered yet.

I doubt he has a magical guide, I'm willing to bet that its probably just common sense mixed with a little thinking outside the box. (This is how I developed my PvZ)


I never said progamers play perfectly..
Progamers spend a lot of time testing out different parts of the game. The builds and tactics they show us in tournaments is whatever they deemed to be the most powerful. Do you honestly think theres going to be some amateur guy out there who has the perfect answer, yet no one else seems to have found it yet? Like I said, there are ways to beat this build. Its not impossible. Its just the toughness to defend couples with the absurd ease to execute that is throwing the game off balance. Its a bit like the 1-1-1 was half a year ago, where even if you knew before the game started that it was coming, you'd have an impossibly hard time defending it, while the execution of the attack itself is retardedly easy.
Brainiak
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany91 Posts
June 21 2012 10:39 GMT
#1537
On June 19 2012 10:43 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 19 2012 06:21 Fogetaboudit wrote:
On June 18 2012 09:12 Excludos wrote:
On June 18 2012 05:09 Masvidal wrote:
I guess the PvZ guide I'm writing will go elsewhere, since it won't be very well-received here based on my observations of this thread. For a 77 page thread on how to beat this strategy, though, you'd think there would be more interest in how to play against it and win consistently. Oh well, maybe another time. If this thread hits 200 pages I'm posting it regardless and if it gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, I'll deal with the heat when it comes. :-/

In hindsight, though, I supposed I should have at least written a helpful, informative guide before posting in the strategy forum; e-cred is important. I guess I haven't learned a damn thing in like 5 years on this site. It's gotten a lot bigger since SC2.


So you have a magical guide to stopping the stephano 200/200 roach push that no progamer knows of, yet you don't want to post it because you think it wont be well received? Yes, I can see where the problem lies. (Technically, you're right. This isn't the place of it. But if you posted it in its own thread on the strategy forum and linked it here, it would be the right thing to do.)

Also realize that no one here thinks that its unbeatable. Its just that its very hard to beat, unlike from the zerg point of view where its extremely easy to execute. + the fact that when you add in stuff like drops and multiprong attacks, its damn near impossible to not lose at least one nexus. At this point, as toss, you either have to execute a very well timed attack that hits right before or as the zerg starts to mass roaches, or you have to be a lot better than the zerg player (ie: knowing exactly where he is going to attack, perfect army split, perfect forcefields, and probably a great deal of harass).

This sentiment that Pro Gamers play perfectly is absurd, if they did, the metagame would have never changes and developed in the first place. It's very possible (and actually quite likely) that there are superior strategies that amateurs use, that are not widely discovered yet.

I doubt he has a magical guide, I'm willing to bet that its probably just common sense mixed with a little thinking outside the box. (This is how I developed my PvZ)


I never said progamers play perfectly..
Progamers spend a lot of time testing out different parts of the game. The builds and tactics they show us in tournaments is whatever they deemed to be the most powerful. Do you honestly think theres going to be some amateur guy out there who has the perfect answer, yet no one else seems to have found it yet? Like I said, there are ways to beat this build. Its not impossible. Its just the toughness to defend couples with the absurd ease to execute that is throwing the game off balance. Its a bit like the 1-1-1 was half a year ago, where even if you knew before the game started that it was coming, you'd have an impossibly hard time defending it, while the execution of the attack itself is retardedly easy.

+1

User was warned for this post
“History is written by the victors.” Winston Churchill
draemn
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada32 Posts
July 08 2012 18:31 GMT
#1538
I have been tending to skip sentries... maybe one or two sentires if I can wall off the ramp to my natural with 2 FF or less just to defend home base when they split their roaches.

Part of the problem with going any kind of non-forge fast expand is they build a pool first and can easily kill you if you don't make a forge and they scout it. The other problem is if you don't FEE expand, it just takes the game back to what it was 6 months ago and zerg found lots of ways to survive 1 base pressure. I have little experince in what will work as I haven't been able to win vs players who PROPERLY follow this build (many gold/plats mess up the build slightly).
wcr.4fun
Profile Joined April 2012
Belgium686 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-08 18:53:16
July 08 2012 18:50 GMT
#1539


the max out roach build is getting rather terrible. You have a timing window of max 30 seconds to make it work or you fail. Look at how hard nestea fails with this roach push. The toss didn't even do anything crazy or amazing, he just played solid. And if you're going to comment on the overlord kill; then go kill 1 or 2 overlords lol.

Immortals, they raping everybody out there.
TheLaddergoat
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom34 Posts
July 08 2012 19:10 GMT
#1540
On July 09 2012 03:50 wcr.4fun wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFUkGrNOok&feature=g-all-u

the max out roach build is getting rather terrible. You have a timing window of max 30 seconds to make it work or you fail. Look at how hard nestea fails with this roach push. The toss didn't even do anything crazy or amazing, he just played solid. And if you're going to comment on the overlord kill; then go kill 1 or 2 overlords lol.

Immortals, they raping everybody out there.


I think you've said it all here, the way the roach build gains effectiveness though is when it is used on multiple fronts, maps like cloud kingdom, tal darim, daybreak can still be incredibly difficult to hold though.
Live Long and Expo
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech116
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 378
Hyuk 290
Leta 123
Shinee 110
ZerO 90
actioN 77
soO 57
Mong 56
EffOrt 52
Zeus 50
[ Show more ]
Killer 45
Mind 44
ToSsGirL 34
sorry 30
Aegong 25
Bale 23
PianO 23
HiyA 17
ZergMaN 13
JulyZerg 8
Noble 6
Soma 0
Dota 2
XcaliburYe102
League of Legends
JimRising 420
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss465
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King239
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1682
Other Games
summit1g8026
gofns5147
olofmeister1325
singsing1059
ceh9583
Happy311
crisheroes290
ArmadaUGS110
Livibee100
ZerO(Twitch)6
DeMusliM1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick555
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream245
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH206
• LUISG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2272
League of Legends
• Jankos1535
• Rush1317
• Stunt563
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
58m
OSC
3h 58m
Stellar Fest
3h 58m
OSC
14h 58m
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.