• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:36
CEST 02:36
KST 09:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9742 users

[D] I will trade my TvP brain for your TvZ brain - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Bwall
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden145 Posts
February 17 2012 11:00 GMT
#21
On February 17 2012 19:19 Leargle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 19:11 Bwall wrote:
On February 17 2012 18:50 Leargle wrote:
I don't think I saw what specifically you have problems with TvZ, but in my opinion, the safest way to play is always get at least one banshee.


I don't agree 100% with that. While this is great when going for mech, it's detrimental when you're playing marine-tank, as it slows your other tech down by quite a lot.


Don't underestimate the power of banshees ^^

A pretty good example game is jjakji vs Sen from this season of Code S on Dual Sight. He opens banshee and hits a very nice 2 base marine tank timing. There was more at work here than just the banshee, but Sen did go for a roach pressure and it got completely wrecked.


Well, the problem is when they don't try to apply pressure. It's like bunkers, they're great when they attack you, but if they don't attack you've only lost money. Do you have an example of this?
Leargle
Profile Joined October 2010
United States173 Posts
February 17 2012 11:12 GMT
#22
If they don't attack you get to harass them with said banshees :D

Sometimes you get the free win if they don't have detection, but that's a bit of a coin flip scenario. Often times you'll get a queen and a few drones while they make the spores.
Maphack supply depot overlord
Bwall
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden145 Posts
February 17 2012 12:03 GMT
#23
On February 17 2012 20:12 Leargle wrote:
If they don't attack you get to harass them with said banshees :D

Sometimes you get the free win if they don't have detection, but that's a bit of a coin flip scenario. Often times you'll get a queen and a few drones while they make the spores.


Yeah, but it's far from always that pays of more than investing in your bio-upgrades. As I said, it's great for mech, but when going for a marine-tank composition it's not that great.
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 12:49:14
February 17 2012 12:47 GMT
#24
I'm not nearly at your level but the way I have success with Zerg is just always be in their face and never let them get comfortable. Once you have proper upgrades, you can trade so effectively with micro. I personally like to do a really fast 3rd orbital from a hellion opening, with 1-2 marauders in a bunker in case of roaches.

I like to corner the zerg with 3 bases, then take a slower 4th, but a faster 5th if that makes sense. Everytime I see a Zerg take a base, I like to take one too. Also I like to drop in 2-3 places at once and move out with my main army for map position. Once I get the middle, all I really need to do is check every so often for Hive tech and adjust accordingly. Always drop to keep the zerg from being too comfortable. At the later game stages, I always snipe expos too.

edit: also I'm not a big fan of mech. I think there are really strong timings, but I always find really fast (15-16 minute BL's) are hard to deal with, and if you don't do good enough of a job denying a 3rd expo, zerg can easily roll you.

BUT, just 1-Aing to victory? Nothing feels better
Jazzman88
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada2228 Posts
February 17 2012 14:06 GMT
#25
Dealing with Zerg as Terran is interesting, because there's generally 1 of 2 ways the game will play out in standard scenarios:

1. Both sides get 2-3 bases and Zerg goes for early ling/bling/Muta OR Infestor/Ling, and then Infestor/Broodlord.

- deal with this by not letting him get Hive. Properly executed Tank/Marine/Medivac pushes should come just before the Mutas hit if he's going Muta or soft contain the edge of creep when he's going Infestor/Ling. Keeping ahead on upgrades will be a big help here. Zerg is curious in this style because there is almost no way they can attack a properly defended Terran ball with enough siege tanks in the right position, but you must keep yourself aware of positioning so that you don't get caught with your pants down. Add Thors for Muta zone control if desired.

2. Zerg goes 1-2 base baneling bust/roach-hydra.

- easy to deal with in general. Getting your siege tanks up in time completely negates baneling bust, and roaches should be responded to with as many tanks/thors as possible. Simply push, don't get caught unsieged, and watch the roaches melt.

If the Zerg does get hive in either of these scenarios, you need to be prepared. Preparations must include at least 1 or 2 additional Starports, 1 with a Tech Lab, and a whole bunch of Tech Lab barracks (if you've been going marine/tank this is nice because you already have Infantry ups going). Aggressively scan and scout him to see what's coming. If there are 0 Corruptors on the field, assume Ultras. You will need lots of Marauders and Tanks, aggressively sieged to prevent the Ling/Ultra ball from rolling you. Nukes would not be a bad idea either. If you see a blob of Corruptors, assume Broodlords. Keep building Marine/Ghost, but make sure to slam out 3-4 Vikings at once, and get at least 1 or 2 Ravens. The Ravens will drop PDD to keep your Vikings from getting mauled by 20 Corruptors while they obliterate the Broodlords. Use Ghost EMPs to get rid of Infestors, and try to spread preemptively so that Fungals don't kill you instantly.
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
February 17 2012 14:07 GMT
#26
Who gets Hydras?
Sergio1992
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Italy522 Posts
February 17 2012 15:05 GMT
#27
when does polt push? as soon as first marauders pop? or as soon as second does?
Leargle
Profile Joined October 2010
United States173 Posts
February 17 2012 15:21 GMT
#28
Here's a bunch of mech replays:

Okay so this first one is pretty much best case scenario:
http://drop.sc/113661

Normal game of forgg build
http://drop.sc/113664

This one isn't the same build order, but it's another viable mech opener. Got gas capped so I went for double reactor hellion into thor/hellion timing attack
http://drop.sc/113663

Annnnnd then 14cc into double armory mech because I fucking can.
http://drop.sc/113665
Maphack supply depot overlord
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
February 17 2012 15:29 GMT
#29
Surprisingly , the build/style that actually works best for me at the moment , is the bomber style of play which was also covered by day9 (Daily#395). If yo don't know it , short summary:

You get a fast third, +2/+1 upgrades, and the first time you push out is when the upgrades finish, which is at the time youre nearly maxed out. When you move out you also take your 4th.
Allthough it sounds really passive , its actually pretty great. The push will hit really hard and eventually kill the zerg all right if he went expansion crazy, because your army will just be too big. If he is able to defend, you can start to drop , and go into usual late game.
Huggerz
Profile Joined May 2011
Great Britain919 Posts
February 17 2012 16:14 GMT
#30
Love the thread, thanks for posting.

I wonder, what do you think of 1 rax marauder opener?. I do it all the time and it's hilarious when Protoss just sends their first stalker in to scout and loses it so quickly. It allows for a pretty quick CC, safely on the low ground, start stim (or combat shield) early and I've found it's virtually a build order win against blink builds.

“It's like poker. You can play your best, but you've got to know when to fold your cards and take a rest, and know when to hold your cards, hold your breath and hope that nobody else is stacking the deck."
Leargle
Profile Joined October 2010
United States173 Posts
February 17 2012 16:29 GMT
#31
On February 18 2012 01:14 Huggerz wrote:
Love the thread, thanks for posting.

I wonder, what do you think of 1 rax marauder opener?. I do it all the time and it's hilarious when Protoss just sends their first stalker in to scout and loses it so quickly. It allows for a pretty quick CC, safely on the low ground, start stim (or combat shield) early and I've found it's virtually a build order win against blink builds.



It's pretty easy to scout, and any stargate/immortal based all in will completely wreck it.

I did this build for quite a long time. Around mid diamond players figure out how to beat it completely. Better off doing the reactor first 2 rax or the rainbow rush (conc marauder + hellions).
Maphack supply depot overlord
MyTHicaL
Profile Joined November 2005
France1070 Posts
February 17 2012 16:46 GMT
#32
Nice guide. Playing random means that I know what protoss buildings =, but ur ways of dealing with certain more unique protoss all in builds are very useful . I especially like the way you counter collussus (drop baiting or whatever you called it). I would offer some advice in tvz but seeing as your a full league higher than me; I'm assuming that you know everything I could possibly tell you ^_^;:
Thanks anyways though.

What do you think of the proxy center of the map marauder rush? I saw it a couple of times (gsl/ksl etc) and this build looks stellar; I mean you're almost guaranteed to force him to pull probes, and as soon as that happens he will be automatically taking economical damage- where as you are left completely untouched which gives you the choice of continuing to pressure him or simply grabbing an expansion and waiting for your 2 base timing (with proper scouting I don't see how the protoss can grab the advantage back short of some kind of unscouted 1 base all in, defending (but with less production...) your 2 base timing) - and that's only if you chose to play it that way;

I don't think that we really need 0:00 timers since most of these builds have been allocated whole threads where the timings are gone into in length and detail...
Laurens
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium4558 Posts
February 17 2012 16:50 GMT
#33
question about the polt 2 rax:

When do you add more raxes, when the starport is building or after you put down a 3rd in your base?


policymaker
Profile Joined September 2010
Greece152 Posts
February 17 2012 17:55 GMT
#34
ty so much for ur insight of early scouting- didnt realise the number of pylons should be 3 in base, it will help me for sure.
Hardcore gamer/Hellenic Community Enthusiast
ShaneFeit
Profile Joined August 2011
92 Posts
February 17 2012 17:58 GMT
#35
On February 18 2012 01:46 MyTHicaL wrote:
Nice guide. Playing random means that I know what protoss buildings =, but ur ways of dealing with certain more unique protoss all in builds are very useful . I especially like the way you counter collussus (drop baiting or whatever you called it). I would offer some advice in tvz but seeing as your a full league higher than me; I'm assuming that you know everything I could possibly tell you ^_^;:
Thanks anyways though.

What do you think of the proxy center of the map marauder rush? I saw it a couple of times (gsl/ksl etc) and this build looks stellar; I mean you're almost guaranteed to force him to pull probes, and as soon as that happens he will be automatically taking economical damage- where as you are left completely untouched which gives you the choice of continuing to pressure him or simply grabbing an expansion and waiting for your 2 base timing (with proper scouting I don't see how the protoss can grab the advantage back short of some kind of unscouted 1 base all in, defending (but with less production...) your 2 base timing) - and that's only if you chose to play it that way;

I don't think that we really need 0:00 timers since most of these builds have been allocated whole threads where the timings are gone into in length and detail...


Thanks.

The proxy marauder rush is not something I have ever tried. Off the top of my head the advantage is that it hits sooner and will do a lot of damage to stalker first builds.

The disadvantages are that you have an exposed tech lab (getting your stim or combat shields cancelled sucks!, leaves your base undefended so a protoss can hold your pressure then warp in units and walk into your main.
ShaneFeit
Profile Joined August 2011
92 Posts
February 17 2012 18:06 GMT
#36
On February 18 2012 01:50 Laurens wrote:
question about the polt 2 rax:

When do you add more raxes, when the starport is building or after you put down a 3rd in your base?




You add 3 barracks as you can afford them after you started building the 2 medivacs out of the reactored starport.

If your first push did a lot of damage you COULD get the 3rd command center before the 3 barracks. Personally I never do it because it leaves you unnecessarily vulnerable to counter attacks.
1nMack1
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada88 Posts
February 17 2012 18:16 GMT
#37
Masters Terran Here
First, consider the metagame - what have you been seeing?

I think watching recently TLO @ MLG, Stephano, and fairly recently Nestea and many more opting for zergling focused strategies involving double evo and early macro hatches. I see very few zergs opting for a quick roach warren evem when zerg gets a good scout off on the reactor factory.

I think this is a good enough reason to use a hellion build and work on your hellion control. Hellion control, is about 100x easier than marine control and hellions are far stronger vs lings, so there's 2 more reasons to make some hellions. I think the best build going at the moment is reactor hellion expand into double reactor factory hellions, hitting initially with 4 or 2/4 and kill any lings and poke at his drones. If he is super greedy feel free to go for a runby and fry a bunch of drones.

If you kept the hellions alive, use a watchtower scv to repair them, and return with 10-12 hellions and fry him up, kill the lings first.

Just do everything you can to hide what you're doing, which should be easy because you have hellions which = map control.

P.S. I think rallying your first marine to his base and building a bunker is pretty awesome, you can usually get at least one drone kill and I often get the bunker up. You even get an occasional over-reaction from about a quarter of masters zergs. Especially if he hasn't scouted you, he may not be super sharp on his timings and not know that a proxy 2 rax would have hit earlier (but it's really close even on a map like antigua).

I also think proxy 2 rax on antigua is sick with a far back bunker to protect a closer bunker. Proxy 2 rax never disappears completely in the gsl, sometimes it is just awesome and is an okay alternative to going hellions every game, but you can't really go too wrong going hellions.
ShaneFeit
Profile Joined August 2011
92 Posts
February 17 2012 18:17 GMT
#38
On February 18 2012 01:14 Huggerz wrote:
Love the thread, thanks for posting.

I wonder, what do you think of 1 rax marauder opener?. I do it all the time and it's hilarious when Protoss just sends their first stalker in to scout and loses it so quickly. It allows for a pretty quick CC, safely on the low ground, start stim (or combat shield) early and I've found it's virtually a build order win against blink builds.



To me that is an advanced build you could use if you truly understand your opponent and how they react.

Let me explain. It does not give the attack and safety of a 2 rax and not as great an economy lead as a FE.

Its basically a mind-game pressure build where you hope to trick the protoss to over-prepare defenses (chronoboosting or cutting probes). Its the equivalent of bunker pressuring a zerg. I am assuming you must get 1 marine before the marauder to hide your intentions from the scouting probe to be able to catch the stalker, a Protoss should never stalker poke if they have seen a tech lab barracks.
Heweree
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom497 Posts
February 17 2012 18:21 GMT
#39
Could you add the in game chrono timing for your scouting advices?
1nMack1
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada88 Posts
February 17 2012 18:27 GMT
#40
On February 18 2012 03:17 ShaneFeit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2012 01:14 Huggerz wrote:
Love the thread, thanks for posting.

I wonder, what do you think of 1 rax marauder opener?. I do it all the time and it's hilarious when Protoss just sends their first stalker in to scout and loses it so quickly. It allows for a pretty quick CC, safely on the low ground, start stim (or combat shield) early and I've found it's virtually a build order win against blink builds.



a Protoss should never stalker poke if they have seen a tech lab barracks.


And if the do you kill it and then tab out and turn on
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12691
Rain 2018
Artosis 760
White-Ra 206
ToSsGirL 47
Dota 2
monkeys_forever600
NeuroSwarm131
League of Legends
Doublelift4232
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1524
ArmadaUGS492
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor775
WinterStarcraft256
Other Games
summit1g9058
shahzam689
Day[9].tv642
JimRising 524
C9.Mang0291
ViBE139
Maynarde137
Trikslyr58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick800
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream132
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• davetesta37
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1091
• Day9tv642
• Shiphtur284
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 24m
OSC
12h 24m
Stellar Fest
12h 24m
OSC
23h 24m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.