• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:16
CEST 17:16
KST 00:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8076 users

[G]Gateway Pressure, Fast 3 Base PvT - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Arcanefrost
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium1257 Posts
February 16 2012 16:42 GMT
#21
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.
Valor is a poor substitute for numbers.
CaptainHaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States240 Posts
February 16 2012 16:52 GMT
#22
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

I believe that Parting's build is weaker vs a naked rax marine push following the expand.
All of us warned you of the big white face.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 16 2012 18:12 GMT
#23
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Protossking
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia103 Posts
February 18 2012 12:05 GMT
#24
I LOVE this build, I really do I'm beating players who are just better than me basically. One question: Viability on Shakuras? Even with one bunker they can hold pressure easily with depots and 1-2 SCVs pulled. Without this economic damage of forced bunkers and pulling SCVs I don't really feel the build is that strong. This is the only map I'm struggling with due to the narrow ramp. Also I made the mistake of taking the third near my main rather than the natural on the other side of the map which lead to quicker stim + medivac travel time, I probably could have held with one - two more chronoboosted warp-ins.
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
February 18 2012 12:14 GMT
#25
Why are Protoss players such good teachers? I need Terran guides that aren't 'how to mech vs Protoss', 'Thor Raven vs Zerg', 'Battlecruiser Rush' or stuff like that. Where is the 'MVP's reactor hellion triple orbital vs Zerg' guide? It is such a common build in GSL atm and reading TL makes me think it doesn't exist.

This is the sort of build that crushes me in TvP. I can't tell between a gateway all in and pressure. Should I scan nat gasses to see whether there is a tech transition?
Arcanefrost
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium1257 Posts
February 18 2012 21:51 GMT
#26
I'm a big fan of fast thirds in pvt, and i am working on the ideal mix between parting style double nex and this one. I've been going 1gate fe->2 more gates -> 6minish third -> more gates and pressure. Really like this style because it's so easy to get a huge econ lead. I think it's important to get fast ht for storm and archons to deal with 2base allins and heavy drop play.
Valor is a poor substitute for numbers.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 18 2012 22:08 GMT
#27
After matching LaGTtFaith 3 times in a row, I determined that the 3rd and 4th gases should not be built as early as I originally recommended. It is better to go up to 8 gates as soon as possible to deflect the medivac pressure and then add 4 assimilators once you hold it off. Here is the replay after I made the change: http://drop.sc/114603

I made some mistakes losing units early on and we both blind countered each other based on the previous 2 games so it's not a perfect replay, but he is the best Terran I've beaten so far. If we didn't know exactly what to expect from each other, I would've had to build 2 stalkers in case of a 3 rax cheese and he would've had to make more than 1 bunker in case I was doing a 2 base all-in.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
February 18 2012 22:13 GMT
#28
you need more gates @ OP, 1.6k mins on minute 16, thats 16 zealots you could have more (lets say 10, you wouldve needed some more gates as well and youre never on 0, right).

Otherwise nice build, but if he just pushes on 2 base with 4 medivacs and more or less ignores your blink-harass, youre in trouble.

User was warned for this post
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
weikor
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria580 Posts
February 18 2012 22:47 GMT
#29
After watching the OZ game wich he obviously won - but are you sure beeing behind by 4 (2/2) upgrades is acceptable vs terran?
I might agree that players have been rushing for upgrades too much, but wouldnt you be able to do something similar with 7 gate +forge, or even cut probes add forge and have at least armor going?
Tsutchie
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia951 Posts
February 19 2012 04:44 GMT
#30
after the initial push where you come out even against T, what do u do if you think they are going for a 2 base all in where they will be pulling all scv along with their units.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
February 19 2012 10:14 GMT
#31
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.

Also what marine/SCV push are you referring to? I've only seen the 1-base naked 2-rax version with supply drop.

Currently I'm working on a 20-Nexus (more or less Huk's 1-Gate FE opener) and then using my first round of warp-ins on Stalkers (5 total) which I use to poke their front a little bit after 6 mins. 5 Stalkers keeps you safe from marine/SCV all-ins with proper micro as well as any naked 4/5-Rax pushes. I grab my 3rd Nexus behind this ~7:20 (while warping in Sentries at home).

You can be quite aggressive with these 5 Stalkers on maps where there's no ramp at the natural, and you can often prevent additional Bunkers and/or other buildings that they might be using to wall-off. I'm pretty sure that if they straight tech to cloak Banshees they wouldn't be able to stop even 3-Gate pressure at this timing since they are relying on a single rax.

And that's another bonus of doing it this way since it's right @ 7:20 that you decide to throw down either a 3rd Nexus or an additional 4-Gates to go 7-Gate all-in.
Warzilla
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic311 Posts
February 19 2012 10:40 GMT
#32
On February 19 2012 07:13 KalWarkov wrote:
you need more gates @ OP, 1.6k mins on minute 16, thats 16 zealots you could have more (lets say 10, you wouldve needed some more gates as well and youre never on 0, right).

Otherwise nice build, but if he just pushes on 2 base with 4 medivacs and more or less ignores your blink-harass, youre in trouble.


Did you speedread through the thread or something ? Otherwise youre a troll i think its explained well in the guide
"AFTER LOST GAME - I usually run around in circles yelling "WHY OH GOD WHY" in my room, pointing towards the sky. After 5 to 10min ,i get tired and go back to playing"
-stOpSKY-
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada498 Posts
February 19 2012 11:01 GMT
#33
On February 19 2012 07:08 iamke55 wrote:
After matching LaGTtFaith 3 times in a row, I determined that the 3rd and 4th gases should not be built as early as I originally recommended. It is better to go up to 8 gates as soon as possible to deflect the medivac pressure and then add 4 assimilators once you hold it off. Here is the replay after I made the change: http://drop.sc/114603

I made some mistakes losing units early on and we both blind countered each other based on the previous 2 games so it's not a perfect replay, but he is the best Terran I've beaten so far. If we didn't know exactly what to expect from each other, I would've had to build 2 stalkers in case of a 3 rax cheese and he would've had to make more than 1 bunker in case I was doing a 2 base all-in.


In that rep you didnt get any obs. All you scouted at the front were some marines and 2 bunker, how could you be sure there is no cloak banshee coming?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
February 19 2012 11:57 GMT
#34
On February 19 2012 19:14 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.



You only use this build against a no gas/1rax fe terran, which means the timing for cloak banshees is (afaik) 9 minutes or so. So yes, a 7.30 poke is actually safe against such a delayed cloak build.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 19 2012 12:30 GMT
#35
On February 19 2012 19:14 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.

Also what marine/SCV push are you referring to? I've only seen the 1-base naked 2-rax version with supply drop.

Currently I'm working on a 20-Nexus (more or less Huk's 1-Gate FE opener) and then using my first round of warp-ins on Stalkers (5 total) which I use to poke their front a little bit after 6 mins. 5 Stalkers keeps you safe from marine/SCV all-ins with proper micro as well as any naked 4/5-Rax pushes. I grab my 3rd Nexus behind this ~7:20 (while warping in Sentries at home).

You can be quite aggressive with these 5 Stalkers on maps where there's no ramp at the natural, and you can often prevent additional Bunkers and/or other buildings that they might be using to wall-off. I'm pretty sure that if they straight tech to cloak Banshees they wouldn't be able to stop even 3-Gate pressure at this timing since they are relying on a single rax.

And that's another bonus of doing it this way since it's right @ 7:20 that you decide to throw down either a 3rd Nexus or an additional 4-Gates to go 7-Gate all-in.

Puzzle tried Parting's build against Gumiho on Metropolis and lost to cloaked banshees. Parting might be able to afford a robo at 7:30, but I've never seen him build it. If he did, I imagine it would be blind so it slows down the 8 gate timing attack. The marine/SCV push I'm talking about is off of 4 or 5 barracks after an expansion. I remember those being an auto-win against 1 gate expo builds that make a robo before gates 2 and 3 on maps other than Shakuras, so it is safe to assume that it also beats the 1 gate 3 nexus opening. As for the build you're working on, it sounds strong against any marine/SCV attacks but I don't think you would have enough sentries early enough to threaten a 2 base all-in.

On February 19 2012 20:01 -stOpSKY- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 07:08 iamke55 wrote:
After matching LaGTtFaith 3 times in a row, I determined that the 3rd and 4th gases should not be built as early as I originally recommended. It is better to go up to 8 gates as soon as possible to deflect the medivac pressure and then add 4 assimilators once you hold it off. Here is the replay after I made the change: http://drop.sc/114603

I made some mistakes losing units early on and we both blind countered each other based on the previous 2 games so it's not a perfect replay, but he is the best Terran I've beaten so far. If we didn't know exactly what to expect from each other, I would've had to build 2 stalkers in case of a 3 rax cheese and he would've had to make more than 1 bunker in case I was doing a 2 base all-in.


In that rep you didnt get any obs. All you scouted at the front were some marines and 2 bunker, how could you be sure there is no cloak banshee coming?

I know from experience that 2 base cloaked banshee builds should have around 8 marines at the time I was at his front. Since he had a lot more, I knew he had multiple barracks. I poked again around 9 minutes to kill a marine and saw a marauder behind his bunkers. Also he beat me the 2 games before with the same MMM push so I was pretty sure he'd do it again.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
-stOpSKY-
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada498 Posts
February 19 2012 13:17 GMT
#36
On February 19 2012 21:30 iamke55 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 19:14 Skyro wrote:
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.

Also what marine/SCV push are you referring to? I've only seen the 1-base naked 2-rax version with supply drop.

Currently I'm working on a 20-Nexus (more or less Huk's 1-Gate FE opener) and then using my first round of warp-ins on Stalkers (5 total) which I use to poke their front a little bit after 6 mins. 5 Stalkers keeps you safe from marine/SCV all-ins with proper micro as well as any naked 4/5-Rax pushes. I grab my 3rd Nexus behind this ~7:20 (while warping in Sentries at home).

You can be quite aggressive with these 5 Stalkers on maps where there's no ramp at the natural, and you can often prevent additional Bunkers and/or other buildings that they might be using to wall-off. I'm pretty sure that if they straight tech to cloak Banshees they wouldn't be able to stop even 3-Gate pressure at this timing since they are relying on a single rax.

And that's another bonus of doing it this way since it's right @ 7:20 that you decide to throw down either a 3rd Nexus or an additional 4-Gates to go 7-Gate all-in.

Puzzle tried Parting's build against Gumiho on Metropolis and lost to cloaked banshees. Parting might be able to afford a robo at 7:30, but I've never seen him build it. If he did, I imagine it would be blind so it slows down the 8 gate timing attack. The marine/SCV push I'm talking about is off of 4 or 5 barracks after an expansion. I remember those being an auto-win against 1 gate expo builds that make a robo before gates 2 and 3 on maps other than Shakuras, so it is safe to assume that it also beats the 1 gate 3 nexus opening. As for the build you're working on, it sounds strong against any marine/SCV attacks but I don't think you would have enough sentries early enough to threaten a 2 base all-in.

Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 20:01 -stOpSKY- wrote:
On February 19 2012 07:08 iamke55 wrote:
After matching LaGTtFaith 3 times in a row, I determined that the 3rd and 4th gases should not be built as early as I originally recommended. It is better to go up to 8 gates as soon as possible to deflect the medivac pressure and then add 4 assimilators once you hold it off. Here is the replay after I made the change: http://drop.sc/114603

I made some mistakes losing units early on and we both blind countered each other based on the previous 2 games so it's not a perfect replay, but he is the best Terran I've beaten so far. If we didn't know exactly what to expect from each other, I would've had to build 2 stalkers in case of a 3 rax cheese and he would've had to make more than 1 bunker in case I was doing a 2 base all-in.


In that rep you didnt get any obs. All you scouted at the front were some marines and 2 bunker, how could you be sure there is no cloak banshee coming?

I know from experience that 2 base cloaked banshee builds should have around 8 marines at the time I was at his front. Since he had a lot more, I knew he had multiple barracks. I poked again around 9 minutes to kill a marine and saw a marauder behind his bunkers. Also he beat me the 2 games before with the same MMM push so I was pretty sure he'd do it again.


Thanks for fast answer makes sense. So poking at his front and seeing less marines you would throw down the robo before the additional gateways and get obs? And do you not feel as though getting the robo just for obs in general is worth it?
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 19 2012 13:25 GMT
#37
On February 19 2012 22:17 -stOpSKY- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 21:30 iamke55 wrote:
On February 19 2012 19:14 Skyro wrote:
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.

Also what marine/SCV push are you referring to? I've only seen the 1-base naked 2-rax version with supply drop.

Currently I'm working on a 20-Nexus (more or less Huk's 1-Gate FE opener) and then using my first round of warp-ins on Stalkers (5 total) which I use to poke their front a little bit after 6 mins. 5 Stalkers keeps you safe from marine/SCV all-ins with proper micro as well as any naked 4/5-Rax pushes. I grab my 3rd Nexus behind this ~7:20 (while warping in Sentries at home).

You can be quite aggressive with these 5 Stalkers on maps where there's no ramp at the natural, and you can often prevent additional Bunkers and/or other buildings that they might be using to wall-off. I'm pretty sure that if they straight tech to cloak Banshees they wouldn't be able to stop even 3-Gate pressure at this timing since they are relying on a single rax.

And that's another bonus of doing it this way since it's right @ 7:20 that you decide to throw down either a 3rd Nexus or an additional 4-Gates to go 7-Gate all-in.

Puzzle tried Parting's build against Gumiho on Metropolis and lost to cloaked banshees. Parting might be able to afford a robo at 7:30, but I've never seen him build it. If he did, I imagine it would be blind so it slows down the 8 gate timing attack. The marine/SCV push I'm talking about is off of 4 or 5 barracks after an expansion. I remember those being an auto-win against 1 gate expo builds that make a robo before gates 2 and 3 on maps other than Shakuras, so it is safe to assume that it also beats the 1 gate 3 nexus opening. As for the build you're working on, it sounds strong against any marine/SCV attacks but I don't think you would have enough sentries early enough to threaten a 2 base all-in.

On February 19 2012 20:01 -stOpSKY- wrote:
On February 19 2012 07:08 iamke55 wrote:
After matching LaGTtFaith 3 times in a row, I determined that the 3rd and 4th gases should not be built as early as I originally recommended. It is better to go up to 8 gates as soon as possible to deflect the medivac pressure and then add 4 assimilators once you hold it off. Here is the replay after I made the change: http://drop.sc/114603

I made some mistakes losing units early on and we both blind countered each other based on the previous 2 games so it's not a perfect replay, but he is the best Terran I've beaten so far. If we didn't know exactly what to expect from each other, I would've had to build 2 stalkers in case of a 3 rax cheese and he would've had to make more than 1 bunker in case I was doing a 2 base all-in.


In that rep you didnt get any obs. All you scouted at the front were some marines and 2 bunker, how could you be sure there is no cloak banshee coming?

I know from experience that 2 base cloaked banshee builds should have around 8 marines at the time I was at his front. Since he had a lot more, I knew he had multiple barracks. I poked again around 9 minutes to kill a marine and saw a marauder behind his bunkers. Also he beat me the 2 games before with the same MMM push so I was pretty sure he'd do it again.


Thanks for fast answer makes sense. So poking at his front and seeing less marines you would throw down the robo before the additional gateways and get obs? And do you not feel as though getting the robo just for obs in general is worth it?

Yeah you choose between a robo or a twilight council when you see what the Terran has at that point. Observers are pointless here against standard builds because blink stalkers can attack the Terran's army whenever you want, so you'll always be able to keep track of where the medivacs are. Back when I build the twilight council after my third nexus I would always have trouble with Terrans who faked a frontal attack but actually loaded up medivacs to hit my main, but this is no longer a problem with the faster blink.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 11:20:42
February 20 2012 11:19 GMT
#38
On February 19 2012 21:30 iamke55 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 19:14 Skyro wrote:
On February 17 2012 03:12 iamke55 wrote:
On February 17 2012 01:42 Arcanefrost wrote:
What's the advantage of this over parting style triple nexus into 8gate pressure? I feel like parting's build is slightly better.

This build is safe against marine/SCV pushes and 2 base cloaked banshee.

About the timing of the 3rd to 6th gases, I get 3-4 just after starting the third nexus and 5-6 when I feel safe. I usually feel safe if I stop the Terran's 2 base medivac push or if I finish getting blink and there are no signs of a medivac push coming.


If you using a 7:30 poke to determine if they are going cloaked banshees then I don't see how this build is any safer than parting's build which gets the 3rd Nexus ~6m but still can afford a robo @ 7:30.

Also what marine/SCV push are you referring to? I've only seen the 1-base naked 2-rax version with supply drop.

Currently I'm working on a 20-Nexus (more or less Huk's 1-Gate FE opener) and then using my first round of warp-ins on Stalkers (5 total) which I use to poke their front a little bit after 6 mins. 5 Stalkers keeps you safe from marine/SCV all-ins with proper micro as well as any naked 4/5-Rax pushes. I grab my 3rd Nexus behind this ~7:20 (while warping in Sentries at home).

You can be quite aggressive with these 5 Stalkers on maps where there's no ramp at the natural, and you can often prevent additional Bunkers and/or other buildings that they might be using to wall-off. I'm pretty sure that if they straight tech to cloak Banshees they wouldn't be able to stop even 3-Gate pressure at this timing since they are relying on a single rax.

And that's another bonus of doing it this way since it's right @ 7:20 that you decide to throw down either a 3rd Nexus or an additional 4-Gates to go 7-Gate all-in.

Puzzle tried Parting's build against Gumiho on Metropolis and lost to cloaked banshees. Parting might be able to afford a robo at 7:30, but I've never seen him build it. If he did, I imagine it would be blind so it slows down the 8 gate timing attack. The marine/SCV push I'm talking about is off of 4 or 5 barracks after an expansion. I remember those being an auto-win against 1 gate expo builds that make a robo before gates 2 and 3 on maps other than Shakuras, so it is safe to assume that it also beats the 1 gate 3 nexus opening. As for the build you're working on, it sounds strong against any marine/SCV attacks but I don't think you would have enough sentries early enough to threaten a 2 base all-in.


What I'm saying is that you use a 7:30 poke to ascertain if cloak banshees are a possibility, but there's nothing stopping Parting from doing the same poke (albeit with less units) to get the same information.

As for a 2-base marine/scv push I'm guessing this is just a reactionary response to seeing a fast 3rd from you?

And I usually make 3 or 4 sentries. I can make more but I feel that is more than enough to stop any 2-base medivac timing. How many do you feel you need?

My preference also is to go for charge first and use HT to manage drops. Usually drop twilight ~8 so charge is done ~10:30 when most medivac + stim timings would hit. The difference seems nuanced, as basically you delay the expo for an extra gate for added pressure.

edit: Is that the only replay you have of Oz (or some other pro) doing this build?
JOJOsc2news
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
3000 Posts
February 20 2012 11:40 GMT
#39
On February 15 2012 16:21 ccJroy wrote:
Interesting. Will try it out. Can't figure out a good "Standard" build vs gasless FE.


Watch Day[9] Daily 420 - Naniwa's PvT Opening
It's literally amazing against gasless FE and allows you to get up an early third base. If you don't mess up you'll be ahead from the moment you scout the gasless FE.
✉ Tweets @sc2channel ⌦ Blog: http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/JOJO ⌫ "Arbiterssss... build more arbiterssss." Click 'Profile' for awesome shiro art!
KookyMonster
Profile Joined January 2012
United States311 Posts
February 20 2012 18:28 GMT
#40
It looks awesome, definitely requires pretty good game sense and timing, but when perfected should have a very very very high win rate.
Paper is Imba. Scissors is fine. -Rock
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech160
Codebar 27
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2551
Shuttle 1560
EffOrt 856
BeSt 654
Light 401
Mini 391
ggaemo 344
Stork 288
firebathero 233
ZerO 191
[ Show more ]
Rush 159
Barracks 136
Dewaltoss 67
Zeus 61
Killer 58
Shine 55
Mong 36
Hyun 35
Yoon 32
Shinee 32
Sexy 30
ToSsGirL 26
Terrorterran 23
sorry 23
Aegong 23
Bale 21
soO 20
910 12
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
yabsab 8
zelot 7
Dota 2
qojqva3781
Dendi1726
BananaSlamJamma436
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Fnx 179
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes546
Other Games
singsing2215
Liquid`RaSZi1284
hiko1260
B2W.Neo940
Lowko379
Liquid`VortiX268
Sick183
ArmadaUGS132
Rex83
Trikslyr37
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream540
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile119
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2247
• Jankos2225
• TFBlade680
Other Games
• WagamamaTV289
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 44m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.