• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:42
CEST 03:42
KST 10:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12789 users

[G]Gateway Pressure, Fast 3 Base PvT - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
March 01 2012 03:58 GMT
#61
Hey dude thanks so much. I am a mid master t that just switched to p and I have been having trouble in pvt. The last 3 games ive played against master t's who have fe'd the initial 4 gate pressure has outright won each time
Administrator
Budmandude
Profile Joined September 2009
United States123 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 06:44:47
March 01 2012 06:44 GMT
#62
I've been mourning PvT lately when it comes to playing against the gasless FE. I've only gotten a chance to play this build a couple of times but I like it a lot. I also think it's a really good way to force yourself to improve your mechanics and your multitask .

Now, the only real reservations I've had are the upgrade timings (which I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread). So what you've been doing is going citadel -> blink then add 2 gates, warpin, add 2 more gates to 8. What I tried instead of adding 2 gates after starting blink was adding a gate and a forge and just taking a 3rd gas a little bit sooner. This way the +1 armor finishes around the same time charge does, just in time for the Terran push at ~10 minutes with no chrono necessary. Tradeoff is I'm on 7 gates now, but if I've been macroing perfectly I'll probably have to cut a couple warpins on 8 gates to afford the 3rd nexus anyway and can just add on more later after I've held the medivac timing and am in full tech-up mode. I think the +1 armor is better than the 2 or 3 zealots I might be missing from the gateway. The major tradeoff I can see here is that 100 gas could have been stalkers to make my kiting stronger, but I'm mitigating that gas loss with the slightly faster 3rd gas.

If anyone has any thoughts on why this might not be a good idea please post!
amateurToss
Profile Joined October 2011
United States6 Posts
March 01 2012 13:11 GMT
#63
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.
"The question isn't where, but when." -Inspector Spacetime
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
March 01 2012 18:06 GMT
#64
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.
amateurToss
Profile Joined October 2011
United States6 Posts
March 01 2012 20:02 GMT
#65
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
Show nested quote +
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."


One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


Thanks for clarifying that. What I thought he was saying is that, in general, the build relies on really good engagement with the medivac push like in the cloud kingdom game. I'm very curious what kinds of variations people can come up with for the midgame of this build such as large stalker counts or double twilight for quick charge.
"The question isn't where, but when." -Inspector Spacetime
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 20:23:15
March 01 2012 20:22 GMT
#66
On March 02 2012 05:02 amateurToss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."


One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


Thanks for clarifying that. What I thought he was saying is that, in general, the build relies on really good engagement with the medivac push like in the cloud kingdom game. I'm very curious what kinds of variations people can come up with for the midgame of this build such as large stalker counts or double twilight for quick charge.


To clarify, any build that has does not have charge or some form of AoE does in fact rely on good engagements (i.e. good FFs), and OP's build goes for blink first and thus, yes he does rely on good engagements (this is no different from the double forge build which also gets blink first). I'm coming more from the standpoint of the "idea" of a fast 3rd vs a gasless 1-rax FE is completely viable and IMO worth the delayed upgrades and am not necessarily commenting specifically on OP's variation, which I personally do not follow. What I was pointing out was that the 10:30 medivac timing can be held with chargelots/archons and does not rely on "good engagements," but depending on how you handle the engagement it may or may not be as cost-efficient as you'd like (which was another reason kcdc brought up for not liking the OP's build).
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 20:44:40
March 01 2012 20:38 GMT
#67
On March 02 2012 03:06 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


The build in the OP starts the twilight council at ~8 minutes and researches blink before charge. With perfectly chained chronoboost, the fastest charge can finish off of an 8:00 twilight council with blink first is 11:57. The build also doesn't have a templar archives started by 10:30.

So the question is whether this fast third build can defend a 10:30 timing efficiently enough to benefit from the fast third.

For a reference point, I'll compare the OP's build to my favorite PvT build (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308519) which achieves a similar mid-game with charge, templar and lots of economy. The two builds get most of the same tech and upgrades, but the order in which they get that tech is different, particularly as it relates to the 10:30 medivac timing.

The OP's build gets twilight -> 3rd base (starts at 8 minutes) -> blink -> charge (finishes at 12 minutes) -> templar archives -> double forge upgrades.

My build gets single forge -> twilight -> templar archives -> start charge and storm (both finish at 10:30) -> 3rd base (starts at 10 minutes)

So the OP's build gets a third base 2 minutes earlier, but has to defend the 10:30 timing with blink stalkers, slow zealots, and a few sentries whereas my build will have a slower third, but charge, storm and +1/+1 done in time for the 10:30 timing. How much value to you get out of a 2 minute earlier third base? With maximum saturation, that'd be about 1600 minerals, but the early third can't fully saturate all 3 bases right away. Let's call it a 1000 mineral difference: 10 zealots.

Will a force of 0/0 blink stalkers, sentries and slow zealots take 1000+ minerals of damage against a well-executed medivac timing that a +1/+1 force of chargelots, templar and sentries wouldn't take?

I think the answer to that question on a lot of maps will turn out to be yes. The only tool the OP's build has to deal with 10:30 stim kiting with medivacs is a bank of forcefields, and I think we all know that while forcefields are great, they have limited utility in that situation. It basically comes down to whether you can land perfect forcefields before T kites down your wall of zealots. If the map is Entombed Valley, you probably can. It it's Metalopolis, good luck.
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
March 01 2012 20:55 GMT
#68
On February 17 2012 00:33 CryMore wrote:
When do you get your gases at your natural and third? I assume you are getting the natural gases after you start your third nexus, and the third ones immediately?

Whenever you're taking a third base you will always need to take those gases immediately, if you dont then you're going to be incredibly mineral heavy.
Trusty
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand520 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 21:28:25
March 01 2012 21:14 GMT
#69
I love working with blink.

I had never bothered to learn or practice the 4gate blink/obs all-in for PvT, until recently. I really enjoyed turning the tables on T with multi prong harass etc (although it's pretty heavy all in).

Now I read this build, It's really exciting. I wonder if it's possible to add fast robo, to get a WP to help delay medivac timing with blink harass or zealot drop~

EDIT:

Also, a question:
When you are delaying/harass with small amount of blink stalkers, against bio that has conc + stim - what are your decisions regarding blink.

Do you blink as a ball, which is the least 'effeceint' (in terms of wasted blinks), but maybe the safest - since you have less amount of stalkers getting conc'd.

Or do you blink 1by1, which is more effeceint on blink usage, but maybe unsafer - since you have more stalkers getting hit by conc.

I've noticed different people to different things, and sometimes a combo of both (blink 1 or 2 hurt stalkers, then just blink the rest of them at once).
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
March 01 2012 21:32 GMT
#70
In what capacity would a Protoss respond to a 2 base biomech play? Jinro's done this kind of marine/tank/banshee 2-base push (I think it hits ~10 minutes but that's a shot in the dark) and it's worked incredibly well against Protoss (I specifically remember him killing Puzzle with it).
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 01 2012 21:41 GMT
#71
On March 02 2012 06:32 mbr2321 wrote:
In what capacity would a Protoss respond to a 2 base biomech play? Jinro's done this kind of marine/tank/banshee 2-base push (I think it hits ~10 minutes but that's a shot in the dark) and it's worked incredibly well against Protoss (I specifically remember him killing Puzzle with it).


#1: I don't think you'd wind up taking the fast third with this strategy as upon seeing no marauders, you'd have to worry about 2-base cloaked banshees, and you'd get a robo.

#2: If you did take the fast third anyway, I think you'd be okay against a 2-base marine tank push. You'd definitely be able to pick off some units with your blink stalkers as the Terran army crosses the map, and on a lot of maps, you could double a group of stalkers back to pick off reinforcements. I doubt it'd be an easy defense, but with 8 gates and the mobility that blink gives you, you're in better position against this Terran push than you would be if you went, for example, double forge colossus.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
March 01 2012 21:49 GMT
#72
On March 02 2012 05:38 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 03:06 Skyro wrote:
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


The build in the OP starts the twilight council at ~8 minutes and researches blink before charge. With perfectly chained chronoboost, the fastest charge can finish off of an 8:00 twilight council with blink first is 11:57. The build also doesn't have a templar archives started by 10:30.

So the question is whether this fast third build can defend a 10:30 timing efficiently enough to benefit from the fast third.

For a reference point, I'll compare the OP's build to my favorite PvT build (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308519) which achieves a similar mid-game with charge, templar and lots of economy. The two builds get most of the same tech and upgrades, but the order in which they get that tech is different, particularly as it relates to the 10:30 medivac timing.

The OP's build gets twilight -> 3rd base (starts at 8 minutes) -> blink -> charge (finishes at 12 minutes) -> templar archives -> double forge upgrades.

My build gets single forge -> twilight -> templar archives -> start charge and storm (both finish at 10:30) -> 3rd base (starts at 10 minutes)

So the OP's build gets a third base 2 minutes earlier, but has to defend the 10:30 timing with blink stalkers, slow zealots, and a few sentries whereas my build will have a slower third, but charge, storm and +1/+1 done in time for the 10:30 timing. How much value to you get out of a 2 minute earlier third base? With maximum saturation, that'd be about 1600 minerals, but the early third can't fully saturate all 3 bases right away. Let's call it a 1000 mineral difference: 10 zealots.

Will a force of 0/0 blink stalkers, sentries and slow zealots take 1000+ minerals of damage against a well-executed medivac timing that a +1/+1 force of chargelots, templar and sentries wouldn't take?

I think the answer to that question on a lot of maps will turn out to be yes. The only tool the OP's build has to deal with 10:30 stim kiting with medivacs is a bank of forcefields, and I think we all know that while forcefields are great, they have limited utility in that situation. It basically comes down to whether you can land perfect forcefields before T kites down your wall of zealots. If the map is Entombed Valley, you probably can. It it's Metalopolis, good luck.


I don't disagree with anything you say here, although I believe the OP does state to go for charge first if you don't "come out ahead" from his mid-game pushes. The OP's build is centered around pressure to weaken the terran's eventual push which is what he believes allows him to get away with getting blink first, although this is where it gets hazy in terms of how much damage needs to be done, etc. but I more or less agree with you. I was merely pointing out you can easily go for a more passive/defensive fast 3rd style and get your 3rd @ 7:20 which will increase your eco advantage when any timing hits, and still should be able to defend any pushes with chargelot/archon. I use this style because it is quite a bit easier to execute , but the OP's guide was quite helpful in terms of the information gained from the pokes at the terran's front. I also particularly like the 7:20 3rd b/c it lines up perfectly for when you would throw down your extra gates for a 6/7 gate, so you can very easily mix this opening up for a tournament series or whatever.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 01 2012 22:07 GMT
#73
On March 02 2012 06:49 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 05:38 kcdc wrote:
On March 02 2012 03:06 Skyro wrote:
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


The build in the OP starts the twilight council at ~8 minutes and researches blink before charge. With perfectly chained chronoboost, the fastest charge can finish off of an 8:00 twilight council with blink first is 11:57. The build also doesn't have a templar archives started by 10:30.

So the question is whether this fast third build can defend a 10:30 timing efficiently enough to benefit from the fast third.

For a reference point, I'll compare the OP's build to my favorite PvT build (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308519) which achieves a similar mid-game with charge, templar and lots of economy. The two builds get most of the same tech and upgrades, but the order in which they get that tech is different, particularly as it relates to the 10:30 medivac timing.

The OP's build gets twilight -> 3rd base (starts at 8 minutes) -> blink -> charge (finishes at 12 minutes) -> templar archives -> double forge upgrades.

My build gets single forge -> twilight -> templar archives -> start charge and storm (both finish at 10:30) -> 3rd base (starts at 10 minutes)

So the OP's build gets a third base 2 minutes earlier, but has to defend the 10:30 timing with blink stalkers, slow zealots, and a few sentries whereas my build will have a slower third, but charge, storm and +1/+1 done in time for the 10:30 timing. How much value to you get out of a 2 minute earlier third base? With maximum saturation, that'd be about 1600 minerals, but the early third can't fully saturate all 3 bases right away. Let's call it a 1000 mineral difference: 10 zealots.

Will a force of 0/0 blink stalkers, sentries and slow zealots take 1000+ minerals of damage against a well-executed medivac timing that a +1/+1 force of chargelots, templar and sentries wouldn't take?

I think the answer to that question on a lot of maps will turn out to be yes. The only tool the OP's build has to deal with 10:30 stim kiting with medivacs is a bank of forcefields, and I think we all know that while forcefields are great, they have limited utility in that situation. It basically comes down to whether you can land perfect forcefields before T kites down your wall of zealots. If the map is Entombed Valley, you probably can. It it's Metalopolis, good luck.


I don't disagree with anything you say here, although I believe the OP does state to go for charge first if you don't "come out ahead" from his mid-game pushes. The OP's build is centered around pressure to weaken the terran's eventual push which is what he believes allows him to get away with getting blink first, although this is where it gets hazy in terms of how much damage needs to be done, etc. but I more or less agree with you. I was merely pointing out you can easily go for a more passive/defensive fast 3rd style and get your 3rd @ 7:20 which will increase your eco advantage when any timing hits, and still should be able to defend any pushes with chargelot/archon. I use this style because it is quite a bit easier to execute , but the OP's guide was quite helpful in terms of the information gained from the pokes at the terran's front. I also particularly like the 7:20 3rd b/c it lines up perfectly for when you would throw down your extra gates for a 6/7 gate, so you can very easily mix this opening up for a tournament series or whatever.


That sounds pretty similar to the idea I was theorycrafting today where I'd basically do my 2-base templar build with a quick forge, except I'd cut the forge, get a quick third instead, and then go double forge on 3 bases. I know you can get charge, storm, a forge and +1/+1 by 10:30, and the forge and +1/+1 costs 350/200, so you should be able to delay the third gas and the upgrades and get a ~7:30 third base instead. +1/+1 would be much later, but with 2 forges, I bet you'd hit +3/+3 at about the same time.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
March 01 2012 23:07 GMT
#74
On March 02 2012 07:07 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 06:49 Skyro wrote:
On March 02 2012 05:38 kcdc wrote:
On March 02 2012 03:06 Skyro wrote:
On March 01 2012 22:11 amateurToss wrote:
I think kcdc's concerns are paramount here. The whole crux of the build seems to come down to whether you can hold the 10:30 push from Terran with nothing but vanilla gateway units. Does anyone have any experience with any pvt styles that rely on these kinds of gateway units against mmm? I'm curious if there's anything to it aside from, "Try to engage Terrans in chokes and get off good forcefields."

One tactic I noticed is Oz and Hero using pylons and probes for spotters in the bases surrounding Terran. This becomes more important because you don't have observers to spot drops.


The whole crux of any macro PvT build is holding the medivac timing, not just this build. And AFAIK kcdc is just stating he doesn't feel the trade-off of earlier 3rd for later upgrades is worth it, not that the medivac timing cannot be held. If the medivac timing couldn't be held then the build would not be viable simply because nearly every terran you face will be doing this push in some form or another. The 10:30 push can be held with chargelots and a few archons. No FFs/chokes necessary but obviously will make things more cost efficient for you.


The build in the OP starts the twilight council at ~8 minutes and researches blink before charge. With perfectly chained chronoboost, the fastest charge can finish off of an 8:00 twilight council with blink first is 11:57. The build also doesn't have a templar archives started by 10:30.

So the question is whether this fast third build can defend a 10:30 timing efficiently enough to benefit from the fast third.

For a reference point, I'll compare the OP's build to my favorite PvT build (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308519) which achieves a similar mid-game with charge, templar and lots of economy. The two builds get most of the same tech and upgrades, but the order in which they get that tech is different, particularly as it relates to the 10:30 medivac timing.

The OP's build gets twilight -> 3rd base (starts at 8 minutes) -> blink -> charge (finishes at 12 minutes) -> templar archives -> double forge upgrades.

My build gets single forge -> twilight -> templar archives -> start charge and storm (both finish at 10:30) -> 3rd base (starts at 10 minutes)

So the OP's build gets a third base 2 minutes earlier, but has to defend the 10:30 timing with blink stalkers, slow zealots, and a few sentries whereas my build will have a slower third, but charge, storm and +1/+1 done in time for the 10:30 timing. How much value to you get out of a 2 minute earlier third base? With maximum saturation, that'd be about 1600 minerals, but the early third can't fully saturate all 3 bases right away. Let's call it a 1000 mineral difference: 10 zealots.

Will a force of 0/0 blink stalkers, sentries and slow zealots take 1000+ minerals of damage against a well-executed medivac timing that a +1/+1 force of chargelots, templar and sentries wouldn't take?

I think the answer to that question on a lot of maps will turn out to be yes. The only tool the OP's build has to deal with 10:30 stim kiting with medivacs is a bank of forcefields, and I think we all know that while forcefields are great, they have limited utility in that situation. It basically comes down to whether you can land perfect forcefields before T kites down your wall of zealots. If the map is Entombed Valley, you probably can. It it's Metalopolis, good luck.


I don't disagree with anything you say here, although I believe the OP does state to go for charge first if you don't "come out ahead" from his mid-game pushes. The OP's build is centered around pressure to weaken the terran's eventual push which is what he believes allows him to get away with getting blink first, although this is where it gets hazy in terms of how much damage needs to be done, etc. but I more or less agree with you. I was merely pointing out you can easily go for a more passive/defensive fast 3rd style and get your 3rd @ 7:20 which will increase your eco advantage when any timing hits, and still should be able to defend any pushes with chargelot/archon. I use this style because it is quite a bit easier to execute , but the OP's guide was quite helpful in terms of the information gained from the pokes at the terran's front. I also particularly like the 7:20 3rd b/c it lines up perfectly for when you would throw down your extra gates for a 6/7 gate, so you can very easily mix this opening up for a tournament series or whatever.


That sounds pretty similar to the idea I was theorycrafting today where I'd basically do my 2-base templar build with a quick forge, except I'd cut the forge, get a quick third instead, and then go double forge on 3 bases. I know you can get charge, storm, a forge and +1/+1 by 10:30, and the forge and +1/+1 costs 350/200, so you should be able to delay the third gas and the upgrades and get a ~7:30 third base instead. +1/+1 would be much later, but with 2 forges, I bet you'd hit +3/+3 at about the same time.


Yes there are quite a few variations and I am not quite sure what is optimal/safe just yet. I started out initially throwing down 2 additional gates (for a total of 5) after my 3rd nexus in case of marine-tank pushes and perhaps apply a little pressure, then adding 3 gates ~9mins to help defend the medivac push. 8 gate chargelot/archon + 3 base economy can most definitely smash through early medivac timings. Obviously you can go for double forge instead of the 2 gates after your 3rd nexus and have +1/+1 done by the time medivacs hit but I don't think you can hold a marine-tank push w/ just 3 gates.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 02 2012 00:39 GMT
#75
I think this will prove to be reasonably safe vs gasless FE. It's going to look pretty thin, but the BO can get a 6:20 third with charge and storm by 10:20. I wound up losing the game because it was my first time trying it out, but you can see that the build gave me a big advantage that I threw away like a boss.

http://drop.sc/124673
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
March 02 2012 02:37 GMT
#76
On March 02 2012 09:39 kcdc wrote:
I think this will prove to be reasonably safe vs gasless FE. It's going to look pretty thin, but the BO can get a 6:20 third with charge and storm by 10:20. I wound up losing the game because it was my first time trying it out, but you can see that the build gave me a big advantage that I threw away like a boss.

http://drop.sc/124673


I dunno it seems from that replay you get way too much infrastructure too fast. You're getting double upgrades and fast teching to templar and just a couple (I think it was 2?) gates. I think a naked 4-rax or a marine-tank would just smash right through you (and you gotta station at least 1 stalker outside his ramp to detect these pushes coming). Nor did you poke his front throughout to check his comp.

Also IMO it's not worth teching up that fast to templar and you don't need storm to fend off medivac timings. That first engagement you just didn't have enough of an actual army. What's the point of upgrades if you don't have the army to benefit from it? If you really want to incorporate early upgrades I would first go single forge for +1 armor initially.
BlinkGosu
Profile Joined December 2010
United States46 Posts
March 02 2012 03:48 GMT
#77
You can Skip charge entirely if you just cut your zealout count and make more stalkers with a couple (constant chrono needed on these if you are gonna make 2) immortals mixed in from your robo. You just FF their bio ball in half or a third and have barely enough zealouts to tank while the majority of your dps is the stalker/immortal ball. You won't ever be able to directly engage their full army untill you have the archons for tank and storms for dps though.
lol
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
March 02 2012 05:47 GMT
#78
On March 02 2012 11:37 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 09:39 kcdc wrote:
I think this will prove to be reasonably safe vs gasless FE. It's going to look pretty thin, but the BO can get a 6:20 third with charge and storm by 10:20. I wound up losing the game because it was my first time trying it out, but you can see that the build gave me a big advantage that I threw away like a boss.

http://drop.sc/124673


I dunno it seems from that replay you get way too much infrastructure too fast. You're getting double upgrades and fast teching to templar and just a couple (I think it was 2?) gates. I think a naked 4-rax or a marine-tank would just smash right through you (and you gotta station at least 1 stalker outside his ramp to detect these pushes coming). Nor did you poke his front throughout to check his comp.

Also IMO it's not worth teching up that fast to templar and you don't need storm to fend off medivac timings. That first engagement you just didn't have enough of an actual army. What's the point of upgrades if you don't have the army to benefit from it? If you really want to incorporate early upgrades I would first go single forge for +1 armor initially.


Going to disagree--I can't recall how active I was with my stalker that game, but I do generally scout the front with it. I'm pretty sure I did, but if I didn't, it was an oversight.

As for the number of units, I defend 4 naked rax off of 2 gate zealot with 3 sentries all the time. It's pretty crazy how greedy you can get away with being.

Lastly, I didn't feel short on units at all for his push--I just screwed up the control.

I'm not really sure whether it's better to get the 6:20 third or to get earlier upgrades. Upgrades are really really good PvT....
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 07:01:05
March 02 2012 06:58 GMT
#79
On March 02 2012 14:47 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 11:37 Skyro wrote:
On March 02 2012 09:39 kcdc wrote:
I think this will prove to be reasonably safe vs gasless FE. It's going to look pretty thin, but the BO can get a 6:20 third with charge and storm by 10:20. I wound up losing the game because it was my first time trying it out, but you can see that the build gave me a big advantage that I threw away like a boss.

http://drop.sc/124673


I dunno it seems from that replay you get way too much infrastructure too fast. You're getting double upgrades and fast teching to templar and just a couple (I think it was 2?) gates. I think a naked 4-rax or a marine-tank would just smash right through you (and you gotta station at least 1 stalker outside his ramp to detect these pushes coming). Nor did you poke his front throughout to check his comp.

Also IMO it's not worth teching up that fast to templar and you don't need storm to fend off medivac timings. That first engagement you just didn't have enough of an actual army. What's the point of upgrades if you don't have the army to benefit from it? If you really want to incorporate early upgrades I would first go single forge for +1 armor initially.


Going to disagree--I can't recall how active I was with my stalker that game, but I do generally scout the front with it. I'm pretty sure I did, but if I didn't, it was an oversight.

As for the number of units, I defend 4 naked rax off of 2 gate zealot with 3 sentries all the time. It's pretty crazy how greedy you can get away with being.

Lastly, I didn't feel short on units at all for his push--I just screwed up the control.

I'm not really sure whether it's better to get the 6:20 third or to get earlier upgrades. Upgrades are really really good PvT....


Hm we probably deal with naked 4-rax a lot differently. I post early stalkers outside his base and continually poke his front and kite naked 4-rax marines across the map if he pushes out. You sort of had 1 stalker in b/w your bases. So you actually just power through naked 4-rax with zealot/sentry off of 2-gates? Interesting. How about marine-tank though? Usually that hits around 8:30 and at that point you are still sitting on 2 active gates. Do you somehow sniff this coming beforehand and are able to deviate?

I take back what I said about the upgrades. For some reason I thought you got them earlier than you did, but I rewatched the replay and that was a good timing for them. In that particular replay you could have probably held with better control yes, but in my experiences it does seems easier to hold any pre-12 minute pushes with just chargelot/archon backed with more gates than rushing storm like that. Personally I think you would've just smashed that initial army posturing outside your base if you flanked his army from 2 sides with chargelot/archon IMO.

And as for regards to an early 3rd vs. faster upgrades I definitely prefer the faster 3rd since to me it isn't soft countered by terran going for a fast 3rd. I feel PvT late game really favors Protoss as well.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-02 07:15:12
March 02 2012 07:14 GMT
#80
On March 02 2012 15:58 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2012 14:47 kcdc wrote:
On March 02 2012 11:37 Skyro wrote:
On March 02 2012 09:39 kcdc wrote:
I think this will prove to be reasonably safe vs gasless FE. It's going to look pretty thin, but the BO can get a 6:20 third with charge and storm by 10:20. I wound up losing the game because it was my first time trying it out, but you can see that the build gave me a big advantage that I threw away like a boss.

http://drop.sc/124673


I dunno it seems from that replay you get way too much infrastructure too fast. You're getting double upgrades and fast teching to templar and just a couple (I think it was 2?) gates. I think a naked 4-rax or a marine-tank would just smash right through you (and you gotta station at least 1 stalker outside his ramp to detect these pushes coming). Nor did you poke his front throughout to check his comp.

Also IMO it's not worth teching up that fast to templar and you don't need storm to fend off medivac timings. That first engagement you just didn't have enough of an actual army. What's the point of upgrades if you don't have the army to benefit from it? If you really want to incorporate early upgrades I would first go single forge for +1 armor initially.


Going to disagree--I can't recall how active I was with my stalker that game, but I do generally scout the front with it. I'm pretty sure I did, but if I didn't, it was an oversight.

As for the number of units, I defend 4 naked rax off of 2 gate zealot with 3 sentries all the time. It's pretty crazy how greedy you can get away with being.

Lastly, I didn't feel short on units at all for his push--I just screwed up the control.

I'm not really sure whether it's better to get the 6:20 third or to get earlier upgrades. Upgrades are really really good PvT....


Hm we probably deal with naked 4-rax a lot differently. I post early stalkers outside his base and continually poke his front and kite naked 4-rax marines across the map if he pushes out. You sort of had 1 stalker in b/w your bases. So you actually just power through naked 4-rax with zealot/sentry off of 2-gates? Interesting. How about marine-tank though? Usually that hits around 8:30 and at that point you are still sitting on 2 active gates. Do you somehow sniff this coming beforehand and are able to deviate?

I take back what I said about the upgrades. For some reason I thought you got them earlier than you did, but I rewatched the replay and that was a good timing for them. In that particular replay you could have probably held with better control yes, but in my experiences it does seems easier to hold any pre-12 minute pushes with just chargelot/archon backed with more gates than rushing storm like that. Personally I think you would've just smashed that initial army posturing outside your base if you flanked his army from 2 sides with chargelot/archon IMO.

And as for regards to an early 3rd vs. faster upgrades I definitely prefer the faster 3rd since to me it isn't soft countered by terran going for a fast 3rd. I feel PvT late game really favors Protoss as well.


The reason I like to rush out storm for the medivac timing has less to do with defending a frontal push (for which feedback -> archon works fine) and more to do with how efficiently storms deal with drops. To deal with drops, I feel like you either need a squad of blink stalkers or storm,, and if you have time for storm, it actually costs less and works much better. IMO, a build that gets storm out by 10:20 can skip the stalkers, and as a stalker-hater, that seems like a big win to me.

It's a style difference tho. I try to cut stalkers out of any build that I can cut them out, but a lot of people seem to like stalkers just fine.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings116
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 190
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11354
White-Ra 264
Dota 2
monkeys_forever872
NeuroSwarm170
febbydoto19
League of Legends
Doublelift6203
JimRising 667
Counter-Strike
minikerr30
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox671
Other Games
summit1g9537
Maynarde208
ArmadaUGS59
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick369
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 18m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
9h 18m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.