• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:33
CEST 18:33
KST 01:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9716 users

[G] PvZ Dealing with Muta - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 Next All
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
March 01 2012 09:31 GMT
#241
How do you deal with mutas on Cloud Kingdom ?

I'm asking specifically about this map because of the natural... it's incredibly abusable due to the low amount of room behind the minerals, and the fact that there's a big cliff cutting vision.

As the muta ball grows it becomes very difficult to defend this position. Mutas can stand above the cliff and be in the mineral line instantly, and retreat as fast. Putting an obs there is mandatory, but even then, mutas can still stand near the cliff edge and attack the mineral line.. and you don't have room to put a ton of cannons for defense, nor blink enough stalkers once the muta ball has reached a critical size..

I can usually handle mutas pretty well on most maps, but on this particular map on this particular location, I'm having a lot of trouble. Am I the only one ?
-Exalt-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States972 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 09:47:24
March 01 2012 09:43 GMT
#242
@nyast I would assume just keep more templars with storm than u normally would at the natural.

On a different note, I think the only situation Phoenix w/ range upgrades could work would be with a build such as MvPGenius's, where he gets 6-7 phoenix after void ray and a quick third. That's a head start on the mutas, and since you got a quick 6 gas you can afford the range upgrade. From here it's just constant chrono on one stargate and maybe +1 air. This way you aren't commiting to 2 stargates, you have a fleet beacon you can use later on (mothership), and you can still tech towards mass stalker / storm or whatever you want because won't have to make THAT many phoenix to deal with the mutas.

FYI I'm referring to Genius's game on Bel'Shir beach in the code s ro32 this season vs DRG. The build is pretty much safe vs.. everything.

I think this could work. The advantage over the standard way to deal with muta, is that you obviously keep air dominance so you can move out on the map with your army and if they commit to a counter with the mutas, you get to kill half of them with your phoenix.

thoughts?
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-01 11:46:42
March 01 2012 11:44 GMT
#243
My two cents: I think the mutas would be trapped if they stayed in that position, if you moved some of your stuff to the low ground behind the cliff near the expansion there, and left mainly templar dotting your natural and ramp. If you initiate a counter attack elsewhere, the mutas would have to fly over at least one of your forces, leaving them vulnerable to storm.

PS: Maybe stuff zealots in between the cannons to soak up the glaive bounce?
SteadySC
Profile Joined October 2011
United States6 Posts
March 01 2012 23:58 GMT
#244
Storm... owns... all... !! Thanks for the help!
1.21 gigawatts!!
-MoOsE-
Profile Joined March 2011
United States236 Posts
March 02 2012 00:06 GMT
#245
On March 01 2012 18:43 AegiS_ wrote:
@nyast I would assume just keep more templars with storm than u normally would at the natural.

On a different note, I think the only situation Phoenix w/ range upgrades could work would be with a build such as MvPGenius's, where he gets 6-7 phoenix after void ray and a quick third. That's a head start on the mutas, and since you got a quick 6 gas you can afford the range upgrade. From here it's just constant chrono on one stargate and maybe +1 air. This way you aren't commiting to 2 stargates, you have a fleet beacon you can use later on (mothership), and you can still tech towards mass stalker / storm or whatever you want because won't have to make THAT many phoenix to deal with the mutas.

FYI I'm referring to Genius's game on Bel'Shir beach in the code s ro32 this season vs DRG. The build is pretty much safe vs.. everything.

I think this could work. The advantage over the standard way to deal with muta, is that you obviously keep air dominance so you can move out on the map with your army and if they commit to a counter with the mutas, you get to kill half of them with your phoenix.

thoughts?


What was the general outline of his build?
The King in the North Fighting
Daimai
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Sweden762 Posts
May 23 2012 19:54 GMT
#246
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am still having problems with muta. What should I strive for in lategame? If I defend all the muta harass and get quck 3 bases up and running, what do I strive towards in the lategame, what comp would I get so I can kill him. Or will we just end up in an eternal "if I move out I die but if I say at home he cant do shit"?
To pray is to accept defeat.
Arcanefrost
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium1257 Posts
May 23 2012 20:16 GMT
#247
I have the same problem, I feel like the only option is playing an hourlong game by mass turtling. Even if you have 3bases you can't attack because basetrades will own you, and if you don't attack they just get more expoes and spines while transitioning to a broodlord/infestor deathball. Without stargate opener into phoenix range I don't get how I can beat the backstabbing mutaling style consistently.
Valor is a poor substitute for numbers.
NoMicroWin
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States688 Posts
May 23 2012 20:23 GMT
#248
I have had moderate success going up to 4 bases and cannon spamming hardcore one of my bases and leaving an archon and a few high temps so that he can't kill you with a base trade. Even if he does decide to go for the base trade, as long as your army is more cost efficient than his in killing his spines (storm will help with defending) then it should be pretty straightforward.
If she pulls out her stalkers, you pull out your mauraders and concussive all over her tits
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 20:27:24
May 23 2012 20:26 GMT
#249
Standard is 3 base blink stalker -> templar -> mothership. There's something in the works to update/expand on this guide atm so look forward to that for further explanation.
Moderator
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:09:03
May 23 2012 22:07 GMT
#250
On May 24 2012 05:23 NoMicroWin wrote:
I have had moderate success going up to 4 bases and cannon spamming hardcore one of my bases and leaving an archon and a few high temps so that he can't kill you with a base trade. Even if he does decide to go for the base trade, as long as your army is more cost efficient than his in killing his spines (storm will help with defending) then it should be pretty straightforward.


This imo works well. You must have enough archons in your main force to negate lings since you don't want to be v zealot heavy. Mass cannons, pylons and templar at one base while your main blink stalker archon sentry HT army walks down his front. You can hit the same timing as the 3 colossus push, which should be before there are way too many muta or spines, and he will be behind on upgrades. Once you are sure he is committing to a base trade you can actually send your blink stalkers back to defend your third while sending the zealot archon to kill off his base. Ignore peripheral expansions and head for his main.

EDIT: Korean tosses opening stargate prefer to get out a fleet beacon for phoenix range, which with some micro, basically negate any base trade tendencies.
QuesterX
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia32 Posts
May 24 2012 01:49 GMT
#251
Zerg platinum player here - my fav match up is ZvP.

I don't always go Mass muta but i haven't lost when i have and here are just a few things I do (admitedly in Plat so take it with a grain of salt).

I deal damage as fast as poss with the mutas. Most people now do the HT transition incredibly well off two bases against me. I stick with mutas and expanding until the Ht's get just one good storm off on them. So this is usually about 4 base v 2 base (maybe 3 if the toss is good) and i have about 30 mutas on half health. During this time i have been pushjing teh toss to ignoring robo tech, hopefully actaully sniping the robo and forcing him toward archons. When my mutas are hurt and i know i have the larvae i basically do a suicide run with them, doing as much damage as i can to the toss ability to reinforce. They all die the toss feels safe to move out and i do a 300 food push with roaches.

Storm and Archons just don't do well against roaches, the blink stalkers do but if i have done my job right he has been neglecting his stalker count a little in favour of tech, and i have damaged his econ enough that he just can't get the job done no matter how good he micros. I shrug off the storms and just roll him.

Just saying be careful, when using storm, of a big teir 1.5 push because A you probably expect the transition to go UP the tech tree not down and B because it is super effective vs storm and cheap for the zerg to pull off.
When life gives you lemons, say f&^* the lemons and bail!
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
May 24 2012 02:01 GMT
#252
Is nice to see this guide bumped. One of the best protoss guides i've seen (nice to see one talking about game analysis and not a simple bo). Kinda miss rsvp posts.

Looking foward for that update ^^
Chicken gank op
Whatson
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States5357 Posts
May 24 2012 02:05 GMT
#253
Does anybody know what happened to rsvp? I used to watch his stream a lot, but he stopped a few months ago.
¯\_(シ)_/¯
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
May 24 2012 02:10 GMT
#254
He's busy with rl, job, gf, etc...
Moderator
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 03:31:03
May 24 2012 03:29 GMT
#255
This guide was written prior to the Phoenix range increase, and my question is if you open Stargate instead of switching rapidly into Templar tech, can you instead get a bunch of Phoenix (8+) and with the range upgrade kite the Mutalisks?
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 03:45:07
May 24 2012 03:43 GMT
#256
I completely disagree with the OP on archons, but not sure if he still feels the same anymore. Since storm damage can't stack, having more than 4-5 templar is completely useless imo unless you're trying to get off feedbacks. Archons are crazy good vs mutas and lings.

Although I'd assume RSVP would have ample practice against FireZerg who is in love with mass muta vP.

EDIT: 4-5 templar in your main army that is. If you want to leave a templar beyond I can understand in your main or something. But even early on vs mutas, I prefer to mix in archons before even getting those 3-4. Although I now instead go phoenix vs muta so I don't have enough relevant experience anymore.
AGIANTSMURF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1232 Posts
May 24 2012 03:48 GMT
#257
On May 24 2012 12:29 BronzeKnee wrote:
This guide was written prior to the Phoenix range increase, and my question is if you open Stargate instead of switching rapidly into Templar tech, can you instead get a bunch of Phoenix (8+) and with the range upgrade kite the Mutalisks?



Ive seen hero do this before, He gets phoenix range, gets some phoenix out and then transitions into colossus for a Phoenix Colossus push...

seems pretty strong
Thats "Grand-Master" SMURF to you.....
Kharnage
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia920 Posts
May 24 2012 03:56 GMT
#258
On May 24 2012 12:43 FabledIntegral wrote:
I completely disagree with the OP on archons, but not sure if he still feels the same anymore. Since storm damage can't stack, having more than 4-5 templar is completely useless imo unless you're trying to get off feedbacks. Archons are crazy good vs mutas and lings.

Although I'd assume RSVP would have ample practice against FireZerg who is in love with mass muta vP.

EDIT: 4-5 templar in your main army that is. If you want to leave a templar beyond I can understand in your main or something. But even early on vs mutas, I prefer to mix in archons before even getting those 3-4. Although I now instead go phoenix vs muta so I don't have enough relevant experience anymore.


Because I'm a low level player I think archons are awesome. When i'm maxing and defending an archon in every min line with a few cannons means if I'm too slow to spot a muta flock flying in the defense is automatic and mutas will die. If my skill level was higher I'd rather have a HT with storm, but whenever I try that I find the HT dies because my reactions are too slow.

Also when it's time for my maxed out push archons make the death-ball insanely hard to break.

But again, I'm aware that this is because I'm a low level player and it's easier to play with this style, where HT is more efficient.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
May 24 2012 03:59 GMT
#259
On May 24 2012 12:48 AGIANTSMURF wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 12:29 BronzeKnee wrote:
This guide was written prior to the Phoenix range increase, and my question is if you open Stargate instead of switching rapidly into Templar tech, can you instead get a bunch of Phoenix (8+) and with the range upgrade kite the Mutalisks?



Ive seen hero do this before, He gets phoenix range, gets some phoenix out and then transitions into colossus for a Phoenix Colossus push...

seems pretty strong


You can do it, eventually. But it's better to get blink in the meantime before that, etc. Hero defends quite well vs the muta and more so transitions into the phoenix upgrade. And he's done it before, but I'm not sure that's how he'll react to it regularly.

On May 24 2012 12:56 Kharnage wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 12:43 FabledIntegral wrote:
I completely disagree with the OP on archons, but not sure if he still feels the same anymore. Since storm damage can't stack, having more than 4-5 templar is completely useless imo unless you're trying to get off feedbacks. Archons are crazy good vs mutas and lings.

Although I'd assume RSVP would have ample practice against FireZerg who is in love with mass muta vP.

EDIT: 4-5 templar in your main army that is. If you want to leave a templar beyond I can understand in your main or something. But even early on vs mutas, I prefer to mix in archons before even getting those 3-4. Although I now instead go phoenix vs muta so I don't have enough relevant experience anymore.


Because I'm a low level player I think archons are awesome. When i'm maxing and defending an archon in every min line with a few cannons means if I'm too slow to spot a muta flock flying in the defense is automatic and mutas will die. If my skill level was higher I'd rather have a HT with storm, but whenever I try that I find the HT dies because my reactions are too slow.

Also when it's time for my maxed out push archons make the death-ball insanely hard to break.

But again, I'm aware that this is because I'm a low level player and it's easier to play with this style, where HT is more efficient.


Not sure how that's relevant to me though^^.
Tao367
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom324 Posts
July 27 2012 15:29 GMT
#260
Why is +1 armour so important vs mutas? Is it to reduce the bounce attack?
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 42
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1131
Mini 949
Shuttle 881
Soma 618
actioN 491
Rush 362
Larva 318
Light 315
BeSt 229
Stork 229
[ Show more ]
Horang2 209
Snow 168
Dewaltoss 138
hero 137
firebathero 125
Aegong 73
Barracks 73
Zeus 64
Liquid`Ret 52
Sexy 32
Shinee 30
JYJ 28
Shine 28
soO 25
ToSsGirL 25
Sharp 24
Bale 23
Trap 17
sorry 16
zelot 15
Rock 11
Terrorterran 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7847
qojqva2251
Dendi845
420jenkins161
Counter-Strike
fl0m1264
x6flipin974
Fnx 766
pashabiceps371
edward56
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5162
Grubby2492
Liquid`Hasu8
Other Games
singsing1383
B2W.Neo999
byalli470
ceh9360
Beastyqt332
Mlord326
Khaldor241
DeMusliM157
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS136
KnowMe136
Trikslyr54
BRAT_OK 48
TKL 28
Railgan9
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV246
BasetradeTV235
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH240
• StrangeGG 70
• mYiSmile126
• Reevou 3
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• blackmanpl 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV401
League of Legends
• Nemesis2573
• TFBlade833
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 27m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 27m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.