• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:27
CEST 14:27
KST 21:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8581 users

[G] PvZ Dealing with Muta - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
December 26 2011 22:23 GMT
#181
Artosis seems to win vs mutas every time. He takes an early 3rd base and gets blink, but spends a lot of minerals on cannons. When the Zerg tries to go for a base trade, Artosis just spams cannons and gateways at one of his bases and leaves templars there, while giving up all of his other bases.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
December 26 2011 22:26 GMT
#182
On December 27 2011 07:18 Pure656 wrote:
Today I was in a game of PvZ and he went Mutaling. I went for blink and HT like you said and got a third base, but he was still able to beat me. I had 4 cannons at my natural and a high templar. he was able to one shot the cannons and then avoid the storm, and then proceed to kill all of my probes. All of this happened before my blink stalkers could get there. What more is there one can do?

Sounds like he was allowed to macro up while you were scrambling on defense. Maybe take a look at your opener? I know that I have 2 timing windows before 3base mutas come out that either win the game if he goes muta or significantly delay it while I get phoenixes and +1 air up. I believe ground vs muta can only go so far. Since your ground to air units don't stack on top of each other, there is logically a point where air units can beat ground no matter how good those ground units are against air.
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 26 2011 23:01 GMT
#183
On December 27 2011 07:18 Pure656 wrote:
Today I was in a game of PvZ and he went Mutaling. I went for blink and HT like you said and got a third base, but he was still able to beat me. I had 4 cannons at my natural and a high templar. he was able to one shot the cannons and then avoid the storm, and then proceed to kill all of my probes. All of this happened before my blink stalkers could get there. What more is there one can do?


I find it better to storm when mutas stop to shoot as when they shoot they stop and have to re-accelerate again and take more storm damage. If you try to predict which direction mutas are going and storm there it's a crapshoot. Most of the time if I get in the situation where I'm being contained on 3-base if I get 2 or 3 solid storms to put their muta clump in the red I feel comfortable pushing out before a max army as they will not want to engage your army with mutas in the red. Then just cannon up like mad for the eventual base race.
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
December 29 2011 03:46 GMT
#184
Hey RSVP, will you discuss the situation you encountered on your stream tonight (Wed. the 28th of Dec.) against hellokitty on Xel'Naga.

He went lair on 2-base then dropped a spire and took a third. You said that you didn't play well so maybe it isn't worth discussing. However, I routinely see a similar build in diamond. The power of it comes from my inability to pin him on a fast spire as he could be going muta, infestor, hydra, or baneling. You scouted the spire with your obs and had to cancel the robo bay.

In games similar to this--where a zerg goes fast lair into spire into third base, I find that I tend to lose if I tech incorrectly or fail to take the fast third that this thread recommends. If he was going 2-base hydra or mass roach, I don't think I could hold a fast third. It's the uncertainty of 2-base-lair tech coupled with the lack of fast third when I FFE that gives me problems.

Do you advise dropping the 3rd as soon as you scout 2-base spire even if you haven't scouted a 3rd base yet? This just seems like such an insecure-mae-or-break timing for toss.

tl;dr Over the last few months I've seen a lot of blue posters argue that 2-base muta is crap. While it might theoretically be crap, I struggle with it at diamond level due to the ambiguity of a fast lair (I send probes and zels to their death in an effort to determine the tech)--if it is mutas and I've gone colossus, I struggle. If it is hydras and I've gone blink, I struggle. If I take a third against hydra or mass roach or ling/infestor, I struggle.
Mercurial#1193
snively
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States1159 Posts
December 30 2011 01:31 GMT
#185
where do i place my storms if the mutas are right over my army?

should i try to hit the mutas around the edges, or just blow the whole thing on my entire armmy?
My religion is Starcraft
polishedturd
Profile Joined October 2010
United States505 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-30 02:13:10
December 30 2011 02:09 GMT
#186
On December 30 2011 10:31 snively wrote:
where do i place my storms if the mutas are right over my army?

should i try to hit the mutas around the edges, or just blow the whole thing on my entire armmy?


turn on flyer helper in your options

edit/ misread your question sorry, please disregard


http://i.imgur.com/EbrnM.jpg
Feos
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany71 Posts
December 30 2011 07:13 GMT
#187
yes, if you see them go muta, build a 3rd... actually its easier to hold the 3rd the earlier you get it.

and to the other one:
if he has that many mutas that he can 1 shot cannons, obviously 4 cannons arent enough. if you have 3 bases and build nothing but HTs/blinkstalker, you will accumulate a big amount of minerals. just build a ridiculous amount of cannons.. np
if 1 HT isnt enough add another 1 or 2?
ofc they can dodge but they WILL take damage every time they try to engage. if your observers are in a good position you can even storm the mutas the moment they fly in to harass.

and place your storms over your army... who cares? ^^ shields regen quite fast
getting his mutas low is more important
Tazerenix
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia340 Posts
January 01 2012 10:12 GMT
#188
When you are at the point where the zerg takes an early third which you try and pressure (with a 6gate/stargate/zealot pressure) and you can't deal enough damage to kill the third, but not specifically putting you behind (eg not losing sentries or not losing void) and then move into a late game where the zerg manages to get anywhere up to 50 mutalisks whilst literally taking every single base on the map and building a good 60-70 spine crawlers, what the fuck do you do? This happened to me once today, where once I finally secured my third the zerg player was beginning to mass up mutas, and eventually reached the count of 51. He made about 50 spines and even after I went for a big colossus push (using the colossus to take out spines without taking damage) because he had every base and there was no way I could pressure him in any way before maxed (as he had 50 mutalisks) he remaxed once on ultralisks. Then again on ultralisk infestor, then again on lings, then again on mutalisks. I tried to be as cost efficient as possible but it at the point where your opponent has that much money and that many spines, even when on 3 mining bases I just can't see a way of winning. I can post a replay if needed.
Flonomenalz
Profile Joined May 2011
Nigeria3519 Posts
January 01 2012 10:31 GMT
#189
On January 01 2012 19:12 Tazerenix wrote:
When you are at the point where the zerg takes an early third which you try and pressure (with a 6gate/stargate/zealot pressure) and you can't deal enough damage to kill the third, but not specifically putting you behind (eg not losing sentries or not losing void) and then move into a late game where the zerg manages to get anywhere up to 50 mutalisks whilst literally taking every single base on the map and building a good 60-70 spine crawlers, what the fuck do you do? This happened to me once today, where once I finally secured my third the zerg player was beginning to mass up mutas, and eventually reached the count of 51. He made about 50 spines and even after I went for a big colossus push (using the colossus to take out spines without taking damage) because he had every base and there was no way I could pressure him in any way before maxed (as he had 50 mutalisks) he remaxed once on ultralisks. Then again on ultralisk infestor, then again on lings, then again on mutalisks. I tried to be as cost efficient as possible but it at the point where your opponent has that much money and that many spines, even when on 3 mining bases I just can't see a way of winning. I can post a replay if needed.

No offense dude, really, but I've never seen a single game outside of bronze or silver league where a person makes 50 spines, or even above 20.

Post rep.
I love crazymoving
Feos
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany71 Posts
January 02 2012 17:24 GMT
#190
not even 20? then you missed a lot of tournaments
its pretty common for zerg to spam spines once they have gathered mass resources and need supply
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
January 11 2012 19:44 GMT
#191
Some possible additions to the guide:

-Good rule of thumb is you need ~1:1 ratio of Stalkers to Mutas in a straight up Stalker vs. Muta engagement
-You mention upgrades and double forge as a possibility that you haven't fully explored. I feel grabbing double forges is very effective vs. zerg in general but in particular vs. muta/ling. Personally I go for very fast upgrades, going +1 weapons, +1 armor, then +2 and +3 weapons. I usually try to get my 2nd forge around when I grab my 3rd (since you need the extra gas income from a 3rd base to really afford double upgrades) and research +3 weapons and grab +1 shields from my 2nd forge, which should line-up around when +3 weapons finishes. Then I concurrently research 2/2 and 3/3 armor/shields together.
Ada
Profile Joined October 2004
Germany150 Posts
January 11 2012 23:21 GMT
#192
On December 27 2011 07:23 iamke55 wrote:
Artosis seems to win vs mutas every time. He takes an early 3rd base and gets blink, but spends a lot of minerals on cannons. When the Zerg tries to go for a base trade, Artosis just spams cannons and gateways at one of his bases and leaves templars there, while giving up all of his other bases.


I try this as well, that's pretty good imo.
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
January 12 2012 06:56 GMT
#193
I've been hitting zergs going mutas on tal darmin a good amount lately. I can do a decent job of securing 3 bases but it still seems like even by the time I do that the zerg has like 6 bases when I am able to move out. Then the zerg can just trade units efficiently and deny future expansions fairly easily with speedlings and mutas. Not to mention they cover the map with spine crawlers then tech switch to ultras and or something.

That definitely sounds like whining. When the zerg seems to be everywhere on the map how can I harass? And how can I make my maxed army worthwhile? The guide says to move out when maxed but I still find that my army will get slowed down by spines and picked apart by the zerg who is able to remake units so much faster.
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 10:12:41
January 12 2012 10:12 GMT
#194
On January 01 2012 19:31 Flonomenalz wrote:
No offense dude, really, but I've never seen a single game outside of bronze or silver league where a person makes 50 spines, or even above 20. Post rep.


Happens all the time at mid/high master's level.

In fact, I believe the metagame has shifted from "muta/lings" to "muta/spines". Zergs have finally understood that mid/end-game lings do little damage, especially when you already have storm, so they dump excess minerals into spines.

On some maps, all important Zerg expos can be defended by strategically placing spines at the right location on the map. For ex. on Shattered Temple, between the gold and the map center there are two pathways. 20 spines at each and good luck for passing with a ground army.

I've had moderate success with a mothership, recalling into Zerg's main, and protecting my expos with mass canons for the unavoidable base trade, but it's still damn hard
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
January 14 2012 18:10 GMT
#195
What can i do vs like 30 spines (destiny style)? and the zerg just sits in the middle with lings and harassing with muta's? How can i harass at all?? It feels impossible to play against.
[]Phase[]
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium927 Posts
January 14 2012 18:30 GMT
#196
just from a zerg point of view : If the protoss knows you are going muta, which is scoutable with illusion / obs, then its not so scary anymore. As for basetrading scenarios : leaving a couple of templar at home rlly screws the zerg over.

I know a lot of tosses see it as very imba, but you have to understand, most zergs go heavy muta because roach / hydra /corruptor... Well lets say its just suck. Just like most protosses g ofor deathball like stuff, zergs go for something that deals with that deathball.

Toss ppl : look at it from a zerg point of view for once, a deathball is ShitScary, it is no surprise that zergs try everything they can to bypass / get into a different game. With what toss has, I feel like it still is pretty balanced.
RadioNights
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia5 Posts
January 16 2012 00:59 GMT
#197
Great guide rsvp. After reading this guide I seem to have just stopped losing to mutas, whereas before i literally lost every game... I'd see mutas and think "gg". Thanks!
Melonator
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada13 Posts
January 18 2012 15:03 GMT
#198
When you say that opening double stargate should be a BO win, does that still apply today? My standard PvZ opening is FFE -> double stargate for the exact purpose of deterring muta play, but lately I've still been getting hit by mass mutas (even chronoing 2 phoenix at a time just doesn't keep up as you said.) To make this a BO win, should I just do some kind of 4-5 gate, double star phoenix all-in or how do I move forward from here?

Thanks a lot for the guide!
Beijerinator
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden7 Posts
January 18 2012 15:08 GMT
#199
Great guide man
Damn Mutaslisks
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
January 18 2012 17:40 GMT
#200
On January 19 2012 00:03 Melonator wrote:
When you say that opening double stargate should be a BO win, does that still apply today? My standard PvZ opening is FFE -> double stargate for the exact purpose of deterring muta play, but lately I've still been getting hit by mass mutas (even chronoing 2 phoenix at a time just doesn't keep up as you said.) To make this a BO win, should I just do some kind of 4-5 gate, double star phoenix all-in or how do I move forward from here?

Thanks a lot for the guide!


Hard to say w/o seeing a replay. I assume it is probably because he was up on bases and was able to pump an overwhelming amount of mutas through his economy. Double Stargate is a build order win if you can wipe out the muta pack (cost effectively) with Phoenix, however a lot of Zergs will often hide their mutas in their base when they see Phoenix in an attempt to outmass any Phoenixes out on the field. Main thing is you just need good scouting of what they are doing, and know when you can engage. For example usually zerg expands (or even double expands) after his first pack of mutas are out because of the map control afforded to them by mutas (which phoenixes in equal numbers negate), so that would be an example of a good time to attack.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1240
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 280
Rex 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 54492
Calm 3791
Shuttle 2813
Bisu 1321
FanTaSy 1296
firebathero 389
Stork 275
Hyuk 263
Zeus 252
actioN 250
[ Show more ]
Mini 237
Soma 232
Rush 223
EffOrt 208
Soulkey 145
Last 139
Light 128
ZerO 114
Snow 110
Mong 71
Dewaltoss 66
PianO 64
Pusan 56
Sea.KH 56
Killer 45
JYJ 44
hero 36
Barracks 36
Free 35
Shinee 34
NotJumperer 33
ToSsGirL 31
Yoon 30
Bale 29
Aegong 27
Sharp 22
Shine 20
sorry 20
HiyA 19
yabsab 19
Sacsri 18
Noble 16
Dota 2
Gorgc6559
Dendi520
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1441
kRYSTAL_96
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King98
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko380
Other Games
gofns33593
singsing1743
B2W.Neo660
crisheroes260
DeMusliM225
hiko152
Livibee107
byalli47
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
33m
OSC
9h 48m
Replay Cast
10h 33m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.