• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:57
CEST 12:57
KST 19:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8842 users

[G] PvZ: enter the 10-gate ! - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
November 25 2011 16:10 GMT
#41
On October 28 2011 04:33 instantdry wrote:
i thought u meant 10 gateways =)


Same here. I thought he meant 10-gate in a "4-gate" way rather than a "9 pylon, 13 gateway" kinda way. X-D

That said, interesting build. I might give it a go but I'm not really a big fan of air play honestly.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
November 25 2011 16:13 GMT
#42
On November 25 2011 23:56 Alpina wrote:
Also in that pic zerg is on 48 drones in 14:25 min in game, if all you made to him is that few zealot harass in early game then this zerg is just awful.


If I remember well, in that game that was because I successfully snipped his third, so he couldn't produce drones on 3 bases ( especially as he also had to produce lings to kill the zealots ).
eteran
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany83 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-25 16:29:30
November 25 2011 16:26 GMT
#43
On November 25 2011 23:56 Alpina wrote:
Interesting, never faced this. I guess you can really annoy zerg if you harass with zealot and move him in between the minerals. But overall I think 14 or 15 pool shouldn't have any problems with it. You send first queen to help and make like 8 lings and you defended. I doubt you gonna delay hatch for few minutes.


Making 8 lings that early in the game, instead of 2, is great for the P. That could have been 3 drones instead. And for every ~30 seconds that you can delay the hatch its annother 4 drones.

On November 26 2011 01:10 Lightspeaker wrote:
I might give it a go but I'm not really a big fan of air play honestly.


After the initial opening you can transition into pretty much anything you want. When I suspect immediate agression I throw down a total of 3 cannons and start to chrono out sentries.
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
November 25 2011 16:29 GMT
#44
On November 26 2011 01:26 eteran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2011 23:56 Alpina wrote:
Interesting, never faced this. I guess you can really annoy zerg if you harass with zealot and move him in between the minerals. But overall I think 14 or 15 pool shouldn't have any problems with it. You send first queen to help and make like 8 lings and you defended. I doubt you gonna delay hatch for few minutes.


Making 8 lings that early in the game, instead of 2, is great for the P. That could have been 3 drones instead. And for every ~30 seconds that you can delay the hatch its annother 4 drones.


Yes, but he made gateway and then few zealots, why don't you count money and time protoss spent on this? I think this may go into toss favour only if he controls his zealots perfectly and/or zerg reacts wrong, like making roach warren and ton of lings to kill 2 zealots (just like in one of OP's replay).
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
InvXXVII
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada242 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-25 16:32:56
November 25 2011 16:31 GMT
#45
What do you mean by 10 gate?
A good loser is still a loser.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 20:27:37
November 25 2011 20:16 GMT
#46
EDIT: I found the name of the thread - and the introductory paragraph about "goals" to be misleading and assumed he meant some sort of 10-gate midgame push, which is clearly excessive. As for doing a 9pylon 10gate, I think it opens a lot of chances to punish greedy opponents early on - which I like! I still appreciate the effort Nyast put into the thread and have a few questions:
As a zerg player who opens 11overpool or 14gas14pool expand often, I feel like this style might be a bit weaker. If I drone scout an earlier-than-usual gateway(or, especially, a chronoboost on the first zealot), I make extra zerglings. Wouldn't the pressure be shut down quite easily with queen/lings? You'd be starting with an economic disadvantage and it would be harder to defend your expansion from pure-ling or roach-ling timing attacks.
User was warned for this post
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Moosegills
Profile Joined March 2011
United States558 Posts
November 25 2011 22:15 GMT
#47
I feel that this build is more of just hoping that they go hatch first and be able to punish it, and if they don't hope that they don't scout the chronos on the gate and then just end up way behind after they initial aggression.
#1 HuK fan, zerg player playing for http://www.complexitygaming.com - @coL_Moosegills
Trusty
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand520 Posts
November 26 2011 07:02 GMT
#48
On November 26 2011 05:16 TangSC wrote:
I appreciate the time you took to write this thread and contribute! I think you make a lot of great points and this style could surely help a lot of players structure their early/mid game against zerg. I do believe, though, that there are better ways of pressuring in the mid game than 10 gateways. I would argue a more standard 6-7gate with +1 is a smaller investment and allows for more effective transitions and economic follow throughs.


did you read guide?

It's nothing to do with 10 gateways.
It's a 10gate 9pylon, 10 gateway.


BTW OP, if you're building gate on 10, a 10 pylon is better than 9pylon.
iRk
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden83 Posts
November 26 2011 16:19 GMT
#49
Sounds nice, will try this one out directly!
Think less, play more.
huh1231
Profile Joined November 2011
United States2 Posts
November 26 2011 17:20 GMT
#50
On November 26 2011 05:16 TangSC wrote:
I appreciate the time you took to write this thread and contribute! I think you make a lot of great points and this style could surely help a lot of players structure their early/mid game against zerg. I do believe, though, that there are better ways of pressuring in the mid game than 10 gateways. I would argue a more standard 6-7gate with +1 is a smaller investment and allows for more effective transitions and economic follow throughs.


I'm not in love with this guide but I think it's definitely worth a few tries before it gets dismissed so quickly. Protoss in general are trying to find ways to pressure the Zerg early while still being able to transition into a mid game lead. As far as I know, no one has been able to find a consistent way of doing this against a standard Zergo opening. Our options right now are FFE to match Zerg and be vulnerable to all-in (ala Leenock v Naniwa) or push early and do severe damage. Everyone is trying to find that middle ground where we can push early without needing to do severe damage while we macro at home. This might be able to do it but i'm skeptical. I need to see exactly how much damage I need to do with my early game investments (chrono, probe cuts, 2 zealots, dead pylon, etc...) to make it worthwhile. Damage needs to be done, it's just a matter of how much and how consistently you can get that damage done. Obviously, needing to do less damage means that we can get to that damage more consistently. I think a lot of people fail to realize that this game is about how consistently you can achieve something rather than if it's possible at all.

Now TangSC... it's pretty obvious that you didn't read this guide at all before replying. You have links to lessons and your own strategy website in your signature so I can't help but think you're not really here to contribute to the community as much as you are trying to promote your own work. I think your credibility in the community just went out the window with this one.
no quotes
Aftershock912
Profile Joined August 2011
United States15 Posts
November 29 2011 21:47 GMT
#51
intesting concept. i dislike FFE as Toss bc the Z can sit back and expo freely and they can all in you if they see only one cannon. but alot of P's have success with it so good for them
Dont Be Perfect, Be Clutch
JMC4
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States261 Posts
November 30 2011 03:27 GMT
#52
This looks very nice can't wait to try it out
Diamond Protoss ~
-Jackal-
Profile Joined September 2011
38 Posts
November 30 2011 04:04 GMT
#53
On November 26 2011 05:16 TangSC wrote:
I appreciate the time you took to write this thread and contribute! I think you make a lot of great points and this style could surely help a lot of players structure their early/mid game against zerg. I do believe, though, that there are better ways of pressuring in the mid game than 10 gateways. I would argue a more standard 6-7gate with +1 is a smaller investment and allows for more effective transitions and economic follow throughs.


lol you serious Tang? I have watched/read some of your work and for the most part you do a good job... but in this case you have let yourself down. Read the post before commenting with that sort of generic garbage.
Streaming @: www.twitch.tv./tspau1
-Jackal-
Profile Joined September 2011
38 Posts
November 30 2011 04:06 GMT
#54
Btw, nice guide... I have been playing with 2 gate openings against zerg and they can be somewhat effective... I have struggled to hold off quick roach play and the inclusion of the early forge would give me a way to protect my natural expo against this type of counter attack pressure. Keep up the good work.
Streaming @: www.twitch.tv./tspau1
BlueBoxSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States582 Posts
November 30 2011 04:06 GMT
#55
On October 28 2011 00:18 EndOfLine wrote:
As Zerg, it pains me to say that I like this thread...


lol


Agreed. This is an extremely well-written guide, and I almost want to go out and try this build against AI now.
BwCBlueBox.837
LanTAs
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1091 Posts
November 30 2011 04:56 GMT
#56
At first, i thought that this would be a batshit crazy three base ten warp gate timing attack... but alas i was wrong ._.

It looks really vulnerable to a 10 pool (this is after watching the replay), and definitely looks like it will kill a 15 hatch easily. Still, i feel like going double stargate is really risky and really begs the zerg not to scout inside your base so that you can autowin, but other than that, i think this build will have a hard time against earlier pool timings. Other than that, the build looks quite solid :D
Elefes
Profile Joined September 2011
Russian Federation164 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 13:25:59
November 30 2011 13:22 GMT
#57
PvX: enter the 9 pylon!

Sorry, I just can't be silent :D
Nice guide, although early zealot pressure into Stargate is a bit common in current PvZ metagame (hello, greedy eco builds!), so.. I kinda reminds me all these 'gaiz, gaiz, PvP Phoenix builds roll!!!' Well, yeah, they roll at the moment, but...

edit: haha, 10-gate posts are epic! you guys don't understand, that's to counter the infamous 6 pool(s)!
houstil
Profile Joined February 2011
France57 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 15:03:14
November 30 2011 14:58 GMT
#58
I played some games against Nyast a few months ago and while his build might not have been as refined as it is now, I must say that it was already a real pain to deal with !

At that time my ZvP standard was Nestea's 12 pool into 19 hatch. And it took me some time to figure out the best way to react. It's really hard to not under-commit/over-commit to the 2 Zlots/cannon pressure. Full slow lings/queen + a few drones seem the way to go if the P try to set up the cannon contain but you really need a good micro to not loose any drones or your fat-ass-off-creep queen.

A real problem with this opening is also to scout it in time to produce the 4-5 pairs of lings needed to calm down those angry zealots. Drone scout might be mandatory but it's really not standard in the current ZvP metagame where every little bit of economy matter to catch on a greedy nexus first.

It's a definite hard counter to hatch first and it's sill can apply some strong pressure against a standard pool timing.
I would consider it like a Protoss version of the Terran 2rax-pressure, but it might not be as cheese-proof (6-7-8 pool should be hard to deal with although Nyast stated that it's defendable).
I can't say if this opening can become a ZvP standard but it's solid enough to be a good BoX surprise option and should do well on ladder because it's really uncommon.

I hope to see more of this kind of games, leads to a more interesting play than the current no rush 8 version of ZvP.
Gratz to Nyast for such a well-written guide, we will soon call you The Revolutionist : ).
(this is just a joke, calm down you BW hardcore fan).
houstil.678 on EU - banesh.232 on US | friendly master and servant of the swarm
HopLight
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden999 Posts
November 30 2011 15:25 GMT
#59
This build is completely and utterly evil. It's outstanding at any lower level. Kudos and thanks!
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
November 30 2011 20:13 GMT
#60
On November 30 2011 13:04 Jackal888 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2011 05:16 TangSC wrote:
I appreciate the time you took to write this thread and contribute! I think you make a lot of great points and this style could surely help a lot of players structure their early/mid game against zerg. I do believe, though, that there are better ways of pressuring in the mid game than 10 gateways. I would argue a more standard 6-7gate with +1 is a smaller investment and allows for more effective transitions and economic follow throughs.


lol you serious Tang? I have watched/read some of your work and for the most part you do a good job... but in this case you have let yourself down. Read the post before commenting with that sort of generic garbage.

I don't feel I let myself down at all, several other people posted making the same mistake I did.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko255
SpeCial 74
ProTech17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16015
firebathero 2341
Bisu 942
Hyuk 627
Horang2 526
Larva 304
BeSt 255
Light 185
Mini 173
EffOrt 146
[ Show more ]
Soma 128
Rush 95
Leta 92
Barracks 78
ZerO 58
Mong 58
Pusan 57
ToSsGirL 50
Killer 48
Sharp 36
Shinee 32
Yoon 32
Aegong 32
Mind 29
sorry 27
NaDa 26
Sexy 26
Bale 22
Hm[arnc] 18
Sacsri 16
Noble 15
zelot 14
Snow 13
JulyZerg 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
XaKoH 373
Fuzer 181
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss970
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1038
crisheroes929
Other Games
gofns27954
singsing1881
olofmeister1194
B2W.Neo188
Mew2King81
Livibee57
ArmadaUGS41
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH108
• StrangeGG 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 3m
OSC
11h 3m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 3m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.