• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:07
CEST 03:07
KST 10:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8331 users

[G] PvP: Compilation of anti 4 gate builds - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
October 05 2011 20:33 GMT
#121
On October 06 2011 05:20 Indrium wrote:
That last thing is the opener in your twilight PvP, right Cecil?

Yeah actually, though the first and second one are super similar. Also you can get zealot/sentry instead of 4th/5th stalker.
Indrium
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2236 Posts
October 05 2011 20:37 GMT
#122
I can vouch for the build being effective but super hard then. Took it off the guide and played around with it at one point.

Hmm the zealot sentry thing is interesting. Might try that.
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
October 05 2011 20:47 GMT
#123
On October 06 2011 04:59 Sleight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 06 2011 04:48 DarkQ wrote:
in fact, the diffrent is that 4 Gate doesnt work anymore

Maybe on Taldarim and this beach map, but not more ;=)


This is a REALLY common misconception. 4gate is alive and well. It is now one option in a number of valid options that are based on what you see your opponent do. If you see him skip a Zealot without a quick 2nd gate, that basically cues me to 4 gate. Most builds count on 1 Sentry to generate enough time to warp in another, but frankly, with an aggressive pylon and quick Zealot-Stalker, it's very much alive.


4gate absolutely still works. I've had people skip zealot, spend more chrono than me AND gas steal me while taking their own. That's absolutely not safe and when I get called a noob afterwards for exploiting his build, I chuckle to myself and enjoy the ladder points. People don't realize that the most aggressive version of 4gate(put 2 pylons on low ground, or my goto now if possible 1 low 1 high) actually didn't change very much. Without going for fast 3 stalkers, it's difficult at best to snipe the probe before 2 pylons go up on low ground if you skipped zealot, and a fast sentry will be forced to pop the ff or die to zealot+stalker while the game ending pylon goes up on the high ground.

But overall the matchup has finally got room to develop. It might still be a matchup where expanding before 50 is paramount to suicide, but it's growing and for the first time since people started 4gating pvp, I'm actually having macro PvP games.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
October 20 2011 06:03 GMT
#124
ok think im starting to get the hang of the MC defensive 3gate

I've always had a problem though transitioning afterwards....

Assume that I stop the 4 gate attack with 3 gates, I immediately drop my robo at 6mins - but they camp outside my base with superior unit count (since they got 4gates), then they expand behind the contain (at like 6:45ish). Meanwhile I wait to get my observer to confirm what he is doing, and build up more units to break the contain but I feel like im behind.

Based on this, what is the best transition after stopping 4gate and them expanding behind it?
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 20 2011 07:46 GMT
#125
On October 20 2011 15:03 bankai wrote:
ok think im starting to get the hang of the MC defensive 3gate

I've always had a problem though transitioning afterwards....

Assume that I stop the 4 gate attack with 3 gates, I immediately drop my robo at 6mins - but they camp outside my base with superior unit count (since they got 4gates), then they expand behind the contain (at like 6:45ish). Meanwhile I wait to get my observer to confirm what he is doing, and build up more units to break the contain but I feel like im behind.

Based on this, what is the best transition after stopping 4gate and them expanding behind it?


You should probably have posted this in the MC defensive 3 gate thread =P.

Generally in this situation, you should have a probe or pylon outside your base so you can scout his base to see if he expands. If he tries to contain you, he won't have units to guard his base from scouts.

Anyways, if they camp your ramp with a sentry and expand behind it, the best transition is blink. At worst for them, you will be able to surprise them and kill their units below the ramp. Even if they back off in time, you will be able to deny his expansion.

Your other options include getting a warp prism to ferry units below your ramp or go for a collosi push. Many times, if your opponent goes for an expansion after a failed 4 gate, his econ won't be good enough when you finally push.

That being said, blink and robo are the only two transitions you should do after your opponent fails a 4 gate. They are the 2 most solid builds and should most likely win if you are ahead. On the other hand, you can potentially throw away a lead with dt or pheonix followups.
Moderator
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
October 20 2011 22:32 GMT
#126
On October 20 2011 16:46 NrGmonk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2011 15:03 bankai wrote:
ok think im starting to get the hang of the MC defensive 3gate

I've always had a problem though transitioning afterwards....

Assume that I stop the 4 gate attack with 3 gates, I immediately drop my robo at 6mins - but they camp outside my base with superior unit count (since they got 4gates), then they expand behind the contain (at like 6:45ish). Meanwhile I wait to get my observer to confirm what he is doing, and build up more units to break the contain but I feel like im behind.

Based on this, what is the best transition after stopping 4gate and them expanding behind it?


You should probably have posted this in the MC defensive 3 gate thread =P.

Generally in this situation, you should have a probe or pylon outside your base so you can scout his base to see if he expands. If he tries to contain you, he won't have units to guard his base from scouts.

Anyways, if they camp your ramp with a sentry and expand behind it, the best transition is blink. At worst for them, you will be able to surprise them and kill their units below the ramp. Even if they back off in time, you will be able to deny his expansion.

Your other options include getting a warp prism to ferry units below your ramp or go for a collosi push. Many times, if your opponent goes for an expansion after a failed 4 gate, his econ won't be good enough when you finally push.

That being said, blink and robo are the only two transitions you should do after your opponent fails a 4 gate. They are the 2 most solid builds and should most likely win if you are ahead. On the other hand, you can potentially throw away a lead with dt or pheonix followups.


Thanks a lot for the good advice

Yeah sorry, was thinking about which thread this would belong in...happy to just copy/paste the post into the other one so other ppl can see this discussion.

Yes I was thinking that blink would be a solid transition and then I would expand behind that myself instead. But based on your PvP Robo Twilight guide, I took the advice that I should drop the robo so I can get an observer and confirm what they are doing (I dont trust myself making scouting reads based on his unit comp yet ) so I always drop a robo as soon as I am safe from 4gate. So I felt that after I drop my robo, its too late to get blink because by the time it finishes, his expansion would have paid off already??

Cool idea though with the warp prism...theres no gas requirement, and if he contains, maybe i can backstab his base with a zealot drop??
Corsica
Profile Joined February 2011
Ukraine1854 Posts
October 20 2011 22:39 GMT
#127
So what is the sense of wall-in in PvP???
I feel like until you get colo+range, it is useless since stalker + obs can just take your gate for free if not cybercore...
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 20 2011 22:46 GMT
#128
On October 21 2011 07:39 Corsica wrote:
So what is the sense of wall-in in PvP???
I feel like until you get colo+range, it is useless since stalker + obs can just take your gate for free if not cybercore...


In the last patch, walls served a bigger purpose. It restricted warpins on your ramp and above the ramp. It also forced opposing zealots to walk up your ramp single file. However, with the new patch, I'm not sure if walls serve a big purpose anymore.

I will eventually update this thread once the PvP metagame stabilizes
Moderator
kemosobie
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States19 Posts
October 20 2011 22:54 GMT
#129
My personal favorite is the 3gate stalker rush but sometimes i will not find the probe or i lack on the side of scouting and i still get four gates, ugh pvp can be so upsetting sometimes.
Boony
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia87 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-20 23:00:51
October 20 2011 23:00 GMT
#130
On October 06 2011 05:37 Indrium wrote:
Hmm the zealot sentry thing is interesting. Might try that.


The problem with going zealot sentry is if they come straight into your base with their zealot and stalker you either have to burn you forcefield before they even have warp gate up, or you do no have the fire power win the fight. This can let them simply put a pylon at the top of your ramp instead of the bottom. My experience is you will loose to a very aggressive player.
Arko.is
Profile Joined March 2011
Iceland35 Posts
October 22 2011 06:09 GMT
#131
Anyone else figured out that the new units in hots won't change 4 gate one bit )
Stun7
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada35 Posts
January 13 2012 21:57 GMT
#132
You're probably all going to laugh, but for the '2 Gas into 3 stalker rush with 2 sentries' I should be watching Stork right? I was a little thrown off because MC wins but Stork is the one who gets 3 stalkers and 2 sentries. Great thread monk, you have so many of them!
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-24 11:07:41
January 24 2012 10:58 GMT
#133
On January 14 2012 06:57 Zawmb wrote:
You're probably all going to laugh, but for the '2 Gas into 3 stalker rush with 2 sentries' I should be watching Stork right? I was a little thrown off because MC wins but Stork is the one who gets 3 stalkers and 2 sentries. Great thread monk, you have so many of them!

Yes, stork is TT1.

I also edited the OP a lot for it to be more current.
Moderator
daredpanda
Profile Joined January 2012
United States60 Posts
April 18 2012 15:59 GMT
#134
Hey Monk. I think you should add Bischu's 2Gate Robo Build. IT absolutley hard counters the 4Gate. I've have a good number of success with this build when I scout 4gate or even that really aggressive 3 gate build.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Bischu_Anti-4Gate_(vs._Protoss)
Terran sandwich with Archon bread. GG all day long!
kaNt-
Profile Joined December 2012
163 Posts
December 14 2012 13:43 GMT
#135
I´m sorry to bump this but i have a question.
In a PvP i do a 3 stalker rush and my opponent steals me a gas geyser, what should I do next?
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
December 14 2012 13:50 GMT
#136
On December 14 2012 22:43 kaNt- wrote:
I´m sorry to bump this but i have a question.
In a PvP i do a 3 stalker rush and my opponent steals me a gas geyser, what should I do next?


Don't let yourself get gas stolen.
Either put a probe to block or get an earlier gas in your build if you suspect he will try this.

If your gas is stolen, you can either chrono out a zealot and pull one or two probes to kill the geyser,or you can go for a 3 stalker rush into 4 gate with the same 5:45 timing, or you can go for a fake 4 gate, 1 gate FE.
geiko.813 (EU)
kaNt-
Profile Joined December 2012
163 Posts
December 14 2012 14:00 GMT
#137
I still wonder if 3 stalker rush is the best way to deny a 4 gate, isn´t the 2 gate robo more effective? I still can´t find my bread and butter opening in PvP (safe against 4 gate).
Btw I´m top platinum level.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
December 14 2012 14:25 GMT
#138
On December 14 2012 23:00 kaNt- wrote:
I still wonder if 3 stalker rush is the best way to deny a 4 gate, isn´t the 2 gate robo more effective? I still can´t find my bread and butter opening in PvP (safe against 4 gate).
Btw I´m top platinum level.


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302117

All these are 1 gate tech builds that are safe against 4 gate nowadays.
Plenty of builds also use the zealot sentry zealot sentry opening to be safe (HerO Stargate opener for example)
geiko.813 (EU)
Rickyvalle21
Profile Joined July 2012
United States320 Posts
December 14 2012 14:46 GMT
#139
Ive been seen alot of high levels player not probe scout in pvp and just blind 3 stalker rush in pvp. Is this safe vs 4 gate?
people say practice is perfect but if nothing is perfect whats the point in practicing?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
December 14 2012 15:00 GMT
#140
Stop bumping this thread, it's outdated and not really relevant to competitive play anymore (which is why it's not a reccomended guide).

Write here http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=251528 instead.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12165
Rain 2068
Artosis 481
White-Ra 183
Dota 2
monkeys_forever647
NeuroSwarm135
League of Legends
Doublelift5016
Counter-Strike
taco 10
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1675
ArmadaUGS587
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1106
WinterStarcraft412
Other Games
summit1g8619
Day[9].tv671
shahzam649
JimRising 565
C9.Mang0303
Maynarde156
ViBE139
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick885
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1011
• Day9tv671
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 53m
OSC
11h 53m
Stellar Fest
11h 53m
OSC
22h 53m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.