• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:01
CEST 07:01
KST 14:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7684 users

The Starcraft Pyramid - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
theBOOCH
Profile Joined November 2010
United States832 Posts
August 10 2011 20:17 GMT
#21
This is similar to an acronym I came up with a long time ago, which is much simpler, but less thorough. E.M.I.T. Economy comes first, followed by Military (building units), followed by Intelligence (information gathering) and Technology. I think you'll find it fits nicely with your pyramid, and can be used in game to make sure you are not forgetting some aspect of strategy that could help you improve.
If all you're offering is Dos Equis, I will stay thirsty thank you very much.
cogwheel42
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 20:22:20
August 10 2011 20:19 GMT
#22
I just said imo the picture should look like a hourglass. For macro games the pic is perfect, but everything else its just wrong, whatever you say.


I think the contention is that you see this as "what is most important to the success of a match" instead of "what is most important to the improvement of the player." I agree in a match an hourglass shape would make more sense.

This is about learning the game not playing a match though. Basically it means, for every hour you spend practicing, you'll get more wins by mastering the lower levels first before focusing on the higher level things.

At least that's the way I see it
Crytch
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany135 Posts
August 10 2011 20:29 GMT
#23
Well, to have success matches is the way to improve players skill, or not?!
Ofc you also get better due to loose matches, but also due to win some...

Dunno why these "match win with short games or get better overall through 1 hour macrogames" conservation always have to start if someone is talking about early harras/pushs/attacks etc.
Imo (yeah i always have to type in my opinion - or these overreacting kids show up again ) this is total bullshit, you also get better by practising early harras and all the other shit i wrote before.....
You: Quick idra, answer this: 3 men walk into a bar. is one of them gay? EGIdrA: depends on whether or not anyone of them plays protoss
Budha
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada60 Posts
August 10 2011 20:39 GMT
#24
@Crytch
I'll have to agree with you at least on that point! I mean, "Cheese" (airquotes ftw!) and early pushes are an integral and very important part of the game. You can't rely on only winning past the 20 minute mark. I tried to take this into account when constructing this
If it's worth killing, it's worth overkilling.
Ixirawr
Profile Joined May 2011
United States86 Posts
August 10 2011 20:45 GMT
#25
This looks really great - this should be something linked to new players looking to learn the game.

As has been mentioned, you should state that this is for standard games. When cheese happens, things are a bit different.

I very much like that you have micro listed so high up the ladder. Totally agree that it is overhyped.
cogwheel42
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 20:46:56
August 10 2011 20:45 GMT
#26
That's what I mean. You're focused on the short-term individual outcomes of particular games whereas this is meant to deal with overall trends. It's not saying you won't get better by practicing micro. It's saying that, assuming you've mastered neither, mastering macro will improve your win rate more than mastering micro.

This is like weather vs climate. Air conditioning will help you stay cool on days of hot weather, but moving to a cooler climate will mean you don't have to worry about it as much. You may still need AC for the days when the weather is hot, but you wouldn't need to spend as much on one and it wouldn't have to be as powerful to get the same end result: your comfort.

That being said, I agree that you shouldn't ignore any level of the pyramid. Maybe it should be seen more as a weight distribution. So yeah, spend some time practicing scouting, micro, etc., but spend MORE time making sure you have a solid foundation.
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 20:49:50
August 10 2011 20:45 GMT
#27
The idea behind this is simply astonishing and this thread should be put on the Liquipedia. I have not time to read through the actual content but we can all help out to tweak that. Really cool of you to put take the time needed for this well-made post, kudos! <3

I'll go through it myself tomorrow and will respond with thoughts and constructive criticism!

EDIT: Just realized, I think "Solidness" should be a step rather than "Build". Solidness should imply in knowing how you can open (your builds) but also being able to respond in a solid fashion to, for example, an additional base, how many rax can 2 base support if I make marines? Being able to do the same opening 100 times in a row and being able to respond to your additional income is crucial in order to improve at around that level.

You've learned to make stuff, question is, how much can you make?
Crytch
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany135 Posts
August 10 2011 20:51 GMT
#28
Waaaaaaaaaaaah, budha agreed with me, now we can marry. ♥_♥
xD
You: Quick idra, answer this: 3 men walk into a bar. is one of them gay? EGIdrA: depends on whether or not anyone of them plays protoss
Budha
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada60 Posts
August 10 2011 20:58 GMT
#29
lots of love Crytch <3 XD

@Tryxtira
I actually think that is a great point, I will be modifying that tomorrow along with more things. I'd like to change that name though... I don't necessarily like "Build" but honestly, i like it better than "solidness" simply because it's very vague and sounds like something made up... I'd love some thoughts on that level, I'll look to improve on it.

Also, I **think** I've noticed that people talk mostly about where they are at. Am I wrong? I'd like to elaborate on that somehow.... It was really easy for me to actually talk about lower levels, but you can see the difficulty I had with that last one!
If it's worth killing, it's worth overkilling.
dizzy101
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2066 Posts
August 10 2011 21:07 GMT
#30
Great diagram. Agree with the main points it makes. There may be overlap between knowledge and information ('knowledge' doesn't just mean knowledge of the diagram, right?) And WTF is dusting?

But in either case, very useful to aspiring players.
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
August 10 2011 21:07 GMT
#31
I made a pyramid like this for myself. Everybody has their own style and definitions, so it's hard to force yourself in to another ones pyramid.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AbzABwzZb87MZDlxY3ozYl8xNWY5cnI4YmRo&hl=en_US&authkey=CIX9jbgN
cogwheel42
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4 Posts
August 10 2011 21:08 GMT
#32
On August 11 2011 05:58 Budha wrote:
@Tryxtira
I actually think that is a great point, I will be modifying that tomorrow along with more things. I'd like to change that name though... I don't necessarily like "Build" but honestly, i like it better than "solidness" simply because it's very vague and sounds like something made up... I'd love some thoughts on that level, I'll look to improve on it.


How about "tightness"? It's not "made up" in that people already use it, e.g. "tightening up builds."
Chiller274
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany59 Posts
August 10 2011 21:09 GMT
#33
Hi Budha,

I like the idea of trying to structure the learning aspect of the game.

But I think the idea of a static pyramid is not suitable. It only helps when you go through the process the first time. But it is a starting point to developed structured methods in improving in starcraft 2.

I think you should improve to a method which can be run in cycles and defines input and output to the next steps and maybe integrate a middle where you can store all you improvements.

This would visualize the neverending process of improving in starcraft 2
Grimsong
Profile Joined August 2010
United States252 Posts
August 10 2011 21:10 GMT
#34
On August 11 2011 06:08 cogwheel42 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2011 05:58 Budha wrote:
@Tryxtira
I actually think that is a great point, I will be modifying that tomorrow along with more things. I'd like to change that name though... I don't necessarily like "Build" but honestly, i like it better than "solidness" simply because it's very vague and sounds like something made up... I'd love some thoughts on that level, I'll look to improve on it.


How about "tightness"? It's not "made up" in that people already use it, e.g. "tightening up builds."


Other words...

Fluidity
Smoothness
Steadiness
Consistency?

Adrenaline Seed
Profile Joined August 2010
United States194 Posts
August 10 2011 21:10 GMT
#35
@Crytch
I think what the size of each layer is meant to represent is order of importance in learning to play SC, not winning a specific game.
Think Big. Act Small. Fail Fast. Learn Quickly.
Budha
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada60 Posts
August 10 2011 21:14 GMT
#36
@ Dizzy You can expand the descriptions of each section, I explain the difference between knowledge and Info. as well as "Dusting" and why I called it Dusting If you still have questions, don't hesitate! :D

@cogwheel I already like it better, but somehow sounds dirty!

@Chiller I agree that you always come back and cycle through the same aspects when improving, although I found that these cycles always come back to this analytic structure. It seems like an arrow from each level going back to the first would be appropriate? Any other have thoughts on this?

@Grimsong +1 Consistency, altought I would like to keep it related to Build Order... Maybe Build Consistency?
If it's worth killing, it's worth overkilling.
Mr. Black
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States470 Posts
August 10 2011 21:48 GMT
#37
The pyramid is similar to what I believe. Even if you play an early game rush style, you still need to understand economy and production. For example, two essential elements of 4-gate are cutting probes and chronoboosting WG instead of economy. I suppose you could learn the build like dogma and execute it like a robot without understanding why you cut probes and chrono WG, but if you want to improve overall, you need to understand how a 4 gate impacts your economy.

I am a mere gold player . My approach is to treat every game as an opportunity to improve. I spent a looooong time in bronze before I started improving. What I did was load up YABOT (build order tester) and practiced just making drones, expansions and spending all the resources that came in. I didn't play ladder for about a week, until I could macro off four bases and spend all the resources.

When I started playing on the ladder, having only the ability to macro in a vacuum (no harass) I got promoted in one day to silver. Gold came soon after by working on protecting economy and macroing (turtling).

The next step for me is to be able to ALWAYS macro while engaging. Right now I'm about fifty-fifty: when I reinforce, I usually win, when I focus on micro, I usually lose with a couple k in mins.

I only move my army after injecting, making ovies, then spending all my resources or larva. I believe when I have this down solid, I will be in Plat.

TL;DR - You improve by focusing effort on the most important things in the proper order. The pyramid is a pretty good approximation of the proper order of elements that need to be mastered to improve.
Make more anything.
Mahtasooma
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany475 Posts
August 10 2011 21:49 GMT
#38

You are mostly right, but there are army compositions that are very very unforgiving where one mismicro or 2sec delay in reaction / micro WILL cost you the game.

Examples are Ling / Infestor compositions where the Infestors lack too far behind the lings, you attacking / using infestors too late / out of range will get all your lings roasted in 3 seconds. Not neural parasiting all siege tanks in range will cost you the game as well as one single tank will shred all of your infestors NPing the other tanks.

Another example are mutas that are not babysitted every second against Thors or you blindmoving Mutas across the map when they move across a bulk of stimmed marines.

This list is endless. Basically some unit comps are very very unforgiving. Well you could argue that one should stick to more forgiving unit comps at the lower levels, like Roach + X :-D
http://twitch.tv/mahtasooma
CeriseCherries
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
6170 Posts
August 10 2011 21:52 GMT
#39
I really think that its hard to define skills as a pyramid. For instance, you could have excellent mechanics (macro) and not beat someone with worse mechanics and execution. For instance Boxer, who is not particularly inspiring in his macro, will beat other players with tip-top macro because of his execution and creativity. Skills run parallel, synergyzing with each other, not necessarily building off each other
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
August 10 2011 22:00 GMT
#40
This is a great tool for coaching purposes and I will direct all my newbie friends to this thread when they ask me how to improve.

I spend hours explaining to people that they need to stop trying to micro like MKP and focus on just making more stuff.

Unfortunately, most people are always looking for the easy way to the top rather than how they can work harder on the most miniscule changes to slightly improve their game.
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech157
Nina 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2143
Shuttle 1079
Snow 123
Dewaltoss 67
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 34
Noble 27
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
League of Legends
JimRising 607
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1099
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor666
Other Games
summit1g8386
PiGStarcraft293
C9.Mang0291
Mew2King175
RuFF_SC278
ViBE56
ArmadaUGS32
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream69
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Lourlo1002
• Rush779
• Stunt320
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7h 59m
OSC
16h 59m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 4h
Online Event
1d 5h
FEL
1d 10h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.