• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:05
CEST 11:05
KST 18:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10135 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 317

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 315 316 317 318 319 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
August 29 2012 08:26 GMT
#6321
To all asking for builds in each matchups, check the last two pages i've recommended builds to like 5 people already.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Rimak
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark434 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-29 08:28:21
August 29 2012 08:27 GMT
#6322
On August 29 2012 17:13 FortMonty wrote:
Ok, so I've been having trouble playing Protoss recently, actually scratch that, I always had trouble playing it. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a viable build that can work in all 3 match ups, not optimal, just something that I can do every match up and still have a good chance at winning as long as I play my cards right.

A thread would be helpful, video, or even if someone could jot down a build order to help would be nice. I play Random so my exposure to protoss is limited and my exposure to specific match ups is even more limited, so I want to learn a very basic, standard build that I can do in every match-up so it's easier to learn.

Also if someone already posted this, sorry, I just can't be bothered looking through 316 pages.=P

Hi.
What level of play are we talking about?
Also Protoss is a build specific race, you cannot have the same build for all MU, while playing protoss.

And yea, you should do what Teoita suggested.
2000 Jungler 66% Hecarim, 63% Volibear, 60% Jarvan IV
FortMonty
Profile Joined May 2012
United States63 Posts
August 29 2012 08:37 GMT
#6323
I play at the platinum level, and I don't mind if I can do the same style and such, but is there no way to open relatively the same and then branch off?

I'll also go back, but I didn't see anything that wasn't match specific. I'll look again.:3
Expect Nothing, Prepare for Anything.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
August 29 2012 08:54 GMT
#6324
Im not sure i understand your question, but i guess, yeah. For example:

PvT: some kind of fast expand into 3gate robo can transition into either fast colossus, double forge, 2base templar, fast blink, immortal bust.
PvZ: ffe->4gates can transition into either a zealot timing, or just a fast robo/twilight council build, which in turn can be a 2 base timing attack with immortal or blink stalkers, a fast third build, or even a dt build.
ffe->stargate again can have a fast robo followup, which can turn into a fast third with immortals, a 2base colossus timing or even a fast sentry drop, or a mass gateway followup, which can turn into a timing attack, a fast third build with more gateway units and less robo units, or even a blink timing.

Long story short, yeah there's lots of build that look similar to each other up to a certain point. Of course, the further into the game you go, the more builds end up diverging.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
FortMonty
Profile Joined May 2012
United States63 Posts
August 29 2012 09:10 GMT
#6325
Mmm, I think would I'm mainly after is something that is generic, like an opening that can be done in all match-ups such as like a 1 rax Fe, or a 14 pool, 15 hatch. Something generic, For toss is seems like the opening is more specified to the race, like for instance, FFE vs Zerg, 1 Gate expo vs Terran, and 3 gate Robo vs Toss. I was wondering if there was a middle ground, the closest I've had so far was a 3 gate expo, since it's something that follows the exact same process every game for starters and changes later on dependant on match up.

I guess what I'm looking for is an opening that I can learn and use to practice, I'm only plat so it's really hard to remember specific openings when I only play the race on the off chance that I get it from the dice roll. I do appareciate the help though and if it's really impossible to play any other way then build specific, I'll just have to nut up and learn what I can.=p
Expect Nothing, Prepare for Anything.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
August 29 2012 09:19 GMT
#6326
On August 29 2012 18:10 FortMonty wrote:
Mmm, I think would I'm mainly after is something that is generic, like an opening that can be done in all match-ups such as like a 1 rax Fe, or a 14 pool, 15 hatch. Something generic, For toss is seems like the opening is more specified to the race, like for instance, FFE vs Zerg, 1 Gate expo vs Terran, and 3 gate Robo vs Toss. I was wondering if there was a middle ground, the closest I've had so far was a 3 gate expo, since it's something that follows the exact same process every game for starters and changes later on dependant on match up.

I guess what I'm looking for is an opening that I can learn and use to practice, I'm only plat so it's really hard to remember specific openings when I only play the race on the off chance that I get it from the dice roll. I do appareciate the help though and if it's really impossible to play any other way then build specific, I'll just have to nut up and learn what I can.=p


There isn't one, the only Protoss build that can sort of work in all matchups is 4gate. Even a 3gate expand is widely different in all 3 matchups, as in PvZ it's really passive and relies on mass sentries, in PvT it used to be very aggressive as you would have a nice timing around 7 ish minutes to force older expansion builds to turtle on the higher ground, and in PvP it's both quite unsafe against a variety of builds and usually used as a followup to aggression with a fast warpgate.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
FortMonty
Profile Joined May 2012
United States63 Posts
August 29 2012 09:20 GMT
#6327
Ah, that sucks lol, oh well, I'll just refer to the other builds you offered and see if I can't learn them lol. Thanks for the help.
Expect Nothing, Prepare for Anything.
Animostas
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States568 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-30 05:31:06
August 30 2012 05:30 GMT
#6328
As a Protoss, is there any difference between attacking a Terran when I'm 3/3/0 and they're 2/2, and when I'm 2/2/0 and they're 1/1/? I feel like there's no difference but I'm not quite sure. Thank you!
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
August 30 2012 05:59 GMT
#6329
On August 30 2012 14:30 Animostas wrote:
As a Protoss, is there any difference between attacking a Terran when I'm 3/3/0 and they're 2/2, and when I'm 2/2/0 and they're 1/1/? I feel like there's no difference but I'm not quite sure. Thank you!


Colossi get +2 damage per shot per upgrade vs armored. Immortals get +5 damage per shot per upgrade against armored. Marauders get +2 damage per shot per upgrade against armored. Archons get +3 damage per shot per upgrade and an additional bonus +1 per upgrade to Bio per shot per upgrade. So these 4 untis, in particular, get more efficient in fights even though armor upgrades are also scaling upwards, since they scale higher than armor upgrades. In addition, the Terran air units are going to be at +1 or +2 weapons and +0 armor most of the time, so you're looking at your ground-to-air units (even sentries) doing more DPS to the air units when you focus down Medivacs and Vikings. And you should consider this: how upgraded are the vikings? Or are you going to hit +3 attack when you're sitting on +1 shields because you went one forge and then a delayed second forge? So there are some complications to think about.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
TheKleszcz
Profile Joined August 2012
Poland11 Posts
August 30 2012 13:28 GMT
#6330
Hi, I'm a bronze player and currently playing 3 gate robo vs all races. I've tested FFE vZ before and I find I tend to naturally switch to something FFE-ish as soon as I find the other player expanding.

* Should I totally ditch 3 gate robo vZ and switch to FFE all the time?
* Is it better vZ as a default strategy?
* Should I scout at 9 or later with FFE to know whether to expand or not?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-30 13:31:57
August 30 2012 13:31 GMT
#6331
On August 30 2012 22:28 TheKleszcz wrote:
Hi, I'm a bronze player and currently playing 3 gate robo vs all races. I've tested FFE vZ before and I find I tend to naturally switch to something FFE-ish as soon as I find the other player expanding.

* Should I totally ditch 3 gate robo vZ and switch to FFE all the time?
* Is it better vZ as a default strategy?
* Should I scout at 9 or later with FFE to know whether to expand or not?


1) Yes, but if you are afraid of cheese and allins (like a roach rush) something like a 3gate sentry expand is perfectly fine too.
2) Yes, 3gate robo is outright bad in PvZ
3) Always scout at 9 in PvZ to make sure you aren't getting 6pooled. If you are and you are going FFE, make a pylon and cannon in your mineral line, pulling your probes away from his lings if they try to attack before the cannon is complete. Then get a gateway/gas in your main and do some oldschool gateway expand or stargate expand.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
dama
Profile Joined August 2011
19 Posts
August 31 2012 09:08 GMT
#6332
Here is a very simple PvT that I lost

http://drop.sc/245019

I am wondering what I should have done when I saw him moving out with the marines at 8 minutes.

I could have built two gates at 8 minutes and force fielded the natural to buy some time. But would that have been the optimal play? What units should I warp in against a marine push such as this?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
August 31 2012 11:25 GMT
#6333
How do y'all prefer to put on pressure in PvZ? Stargate, early warp gate pressure, immortal drops or warp prism?

Also, last time I played the common PvT builds were 1 rax expo and 1 gate expo. Is that still the case? Have terrans abandoned pressure and just go greedy? Does the Protoss build wait for cybercore or is it even greedier?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
August 31 2012 11:33 GMT
#6334
Either stargate or 4gate zealot off ffe. The lower you go, the more devastating a good 4gate zealot timing can be. Stargate is a bit more standard and reliable.

Yeah 1rax fe and some 1gate fe are still pretty common. If you can scout a fast cc you can play greedier (i like to cut units and get a 20ish nexus), otherwise you have to play defensive to account for the possiblity of 3rax marine before cc or even a gas opening.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Verndroid
Profile Joined May 2012
Denmark12 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-31 11:41:40
August 31 2012 11:41 GMT
#6335
@FortMonty

I would suggest you go look up dApollo on youtube. He put up a video series featuring protoss play. It may not give you one build order against all races but it will give you a basic safe opening against most of what the ladder will throw at you.

Here is a link to the first video on the series (4 parts exist):
+ Show Spoiler +
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
August 31 2012 14:31 GMT
#6336
Somewhat silly question, but what do you do if Terran brings scv's with a 111 allin? Do you pull the probes from your nat and fight with those too, or do you try to fight head on with just your army?
I feel like even if i pull probes they just get owned by siege tank fire, while the scv's add so much tanking to the Terran's army...
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
August 31 2012 15:30 GMT
#6337
On August 31 2012 23:31 Teoita wrote:
Somewhat silly question, but what do you do if Terran brings scv's with a 111 allin? Do you pull the probes from your nat and fight with those too, or do you try to fight head on with just your army?
I feel like even if i pull probes they just get owned by siege tank fire, while the scv's add so much tanking to the Terran's army...


Judgment call, also depends on how many scvs are pulled. Obviously if all his scvs are pulled it can't hurt to use your probes. If you do use your probes though make sure you don't stack them, and try to attack from a different angle than your zealots. Also try to move into the terran army and get a surround rather than just attack moving with them.
XERtirips
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States123 Posts
August 31 2012 19:00 GMT
#6338
When do you take a third in PvT?

I do creatorprime style in PvT and open up with 3 colo and move out with a nice zealotsentrystalkercolo army with my first 2 immortals and 1-1 upgrades.
www.twitch.tv/tgo1 Top 8 Platinum Protoss livestreaming, trying to get better =D
Bahamuth
Profile Joined September 2011
134 Posts
August 31 2012 19:17 GMT
#6339
On September 01 2012 04:00 XERtirips wrote:
When do you take a third in PvT?

I do creatorprime style in PvT and open up with 3 colo and move out with a nice zealotsentrystalkercolo army with my first 2 immortals and 1-1 upgrades.


He should either pressure you or take a third himself. In the first case, take a 3rd when you held off the pressure, in the second case, expand when he does.
strobeLite
Profile Joined July 2012
United States37 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-31 21:16:21
August 31 2012 21:16 GMT
#6340
Are there any viable styles for phoenix play in PvT? I can see some use for them mid game because it helps deal with drops, but it seems really vulnerable to 7-8 minute aggression. I suppose if you could figure out how to make it work, you could transition to colossi because you have anti viking already with the phoenixes and they're probably making quite a few marines instead of marauders or siege tanks.
Prev 1 315 316 317 318 319 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 169
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 961
Mind 729
Larva 606
ggaemo 588
Stork 320
Leta 185
Bisu 158
PianO 150
Killer 45
Hyuk 34
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
yabsab 22
ZergMaN 21
Hm[arnc] 11
sorry 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe219
League of Legends
JimRising 391
Reynor101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1150
Other Games
summit1g10263
Mew2King143
ArmadaUGS66
crisheroes26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick501
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream188
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2347
League of Legends
• Stunt1252
• Jankos1066
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
55m
Online Event
1h 55m
FEL
6h 55m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 55m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 55m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.