• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:34
CEST 07:34
KST 14:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War425.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9358 users

[D] KiWiKaKi's 7 gate +2 attack blink stalker PvZ - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Grayboosh
Profile Joined March 2011
United States68 Posts
January 06 2012 20:42 GMT
#81
On October 10 2011 09:20 Peleus wrote:
Not meaning to bring this back up, but I was practicing against a GM friend and getting fairly raped by sentries when trying to go ling / infestor with fast ups on the lings. Good sentry micro seemed to delay the ling attacks long enough to damage a critical amount of lings to nullify their effectiveness.

Also, I may simply be bad with macro, but I was finding that I could only get out 3-4 infestors by the time this was hitting (gas starved, to many upgrades?) so I couldn't really hit that critical number to get enough damage done on the stalkers post 1.4 patch.

Would the best counter to this be ling / hydra or roach / hydra?

ling/hydra -
Thinking advantage is FF's are cast next to the stalkers themselves, allowing hydras to maintain their concave and not be interupted. A high number of units (lings) means it takes longer for the stalkers to do damage to the army. Lings allow more gas for upgrades / more hydra's.

roach/hydra -
Advantage being roach's HP allowing the army to take more damage, they are also cost effective vs stalkers. Allows for an easier transition for the inevitable robo follow up. Allows a single set up upgrades (missile) rather than both (melee / missile). Big disadvantage that I see is FF's cutting up both ranged units, which would dramatically lessen the effectiveness. Also slightly more gas required, meaning less units out as typically we'll be gas starved unless we can get gas going quickly on our third, which is unlikely.

Advice appreciated. (Highish level please - Masters / GM)


I'd also love to know the answer to his question... Do you even have enough time to get infestors out once you scout this? And by scout it I mean, you see the gateways building.... there's no other way to tell this is coming right?

Right now this is the only thing giving me serious trouble in ZvP.
You're goin down gray bush.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
January 06 2012 21:06 GMT
#82
On January 07 2012 05:42 Grayboosh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2011 09:20 Peleus wrote:
Not meaning to bring this back up, but I was practicing against a GM friend and getting fairly raped by sentries when trying to go ling / infestor with fast ups on the lings. Good sentry micro seemed to delay the ling attacks long enough to damage a critical amount of lings to nullify their effectiveness.

Also, I may simply be bad with macro, but I was finding that I could only get out 3-4 infestors by the time this was hitting (gas starved, to many upgrades?) so I couldn't really hit that critical number to get enough damage done on the stalkers post 1.4 patch.

Would the best counter to this be ling / hydra or roach / hydra?

ling/hydra -
Thinking advantage is FF's are cast next to the stalkers themselves, allowing hydras to maintain their concave and not be interupted. A high number of units (lings) means it takes longer for the stalkers to do damage to the army. Lings allow more gas for upgrades / more hydra's.

roach/hydra -
Advantage being roach's HP allowing the army to take more damage, they are also cost effective vs stalkers. Allows for an easier transition for the inevitable robo follow up. Allows a single set up upgrades (missile) rather than both (melee / missile). Big disadvantage that I see is FF's cutting up both ranged units, which would dramatically lessen the effectiveness. Also slightly more gas required, meaning less units out as typically we'll be gas starved unless we can get gas going quickly on our third, which is unlikely.

Advice appreciated. (Highish level please - Masters / GM)


I'd also love to know the answer to his question... Do you even have enough time to get infestors out once you scout this? And by scout it I mean, you see the gateways building.... there's no other way to tell this is coming right?

Right now this is the only thing giving me serious trouble in ZvP.


The high # of gateways (6 or 7), the high # of sentries (>6), and the twilight council (being chrono'ed) are all dead giveaways which are possible to scout at the usual suicide OL timing (~7 mins).
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
March 09 2012 13:21 GMT
#83
Sorry for the bump.

I'm surprised that no guide seems to exist for that build ( did a search and could only find discussions ). It's still used regularly, despite being pretty old. But I wonder how effective it has become, given the metagame changes of the past months.

In any case, I've been practising variants of that build and I think a good way to modernize it is to incorporate some forms of early pressure. You can't keep a Zerg alone for 10+ minutes nowadays, or you're in a hell of trouble.

It's possible to do a timing push of 8 zealots right when +1 finishes, and it doesn't even seem to slow down the blink timing that much ( I could still hit +2 and blink done by 10'30 ).

I've also been practising it out of a 1 gate FE instead of a FFE, and I can even incorporate a 1 zealot + 2 stalkers rush right at the beginning ( plus still the 8 zealots +1 around 8'15 ).

So I'm wondering if some other people still use that build, and if you do, what changes have you brought to it to make it more effective with the current metagame ?
Surili
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom1141 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 13:35:19
March 09 2012 13:31 GMT
#84
On March 09 2012 22:21 Nyast wrote:
Sorry for the bump.

I'm surprised that no guide seems to exist for that build ( did a search and could only find discussions ). It's still used regularly, despite being pretty old. But I wonder how effective it has become, given the metagame changes of the past months.

In any case, I've been practising variants of that build and I think a good way to modernize it is to incorporate some forms of early pressure. You can't keep a Zerg alone for 10+ minutes nowadays, or you're in a hell of trouble.

It's possible to do a timing push of 8 zealots right when +1 finishes, and it doesn't even seem to slow down the blink timing that much ( I could still hit +2 and blink done by 10'30 ).

I've also been practising it out of a 1 gate FE instead of a FFE, and I can even incorporate a 1 zealot + 2 stalkers rush right at the beginning ( plus still the 8 zealots +1 around 8'15 ).

So I'm wondering if some other people still use that build, and if you do, what changes have you brought to it to make it more effective with the current metagame ?

I understand why you didn't find it, because it wasn't well named for easy searching ^^
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=236230
I think that is what you are looking for.


Also day9 on Huk doing it at dreamhack. Very informative daily at the time, but i don't like the style so much these days unless followed up with quite a fast third on viable maps.


Other things to add, i think you really wanna be doing it out of a FFE/Nexus first, (i haven't opened 1 base against zerg for about 8 months or so, i have no idea if it would be viable to do so into 7 gate.) These days people generally mix in extra sentries as well, and it is all about getting the pylon as far forward as possible, so use the first zealot stalker to push the lings back.
The world is ending what should we do about it?
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
March 09 2012 13:40 GMT
#85
On March 09 2012 22:31 Surili wrote:
I understand why you didn't find it, because it wasn't well named for easy searching ^^
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=236230
I think that is what you are looking for.


Ahah, awesome, thanks. I knew something was fishy, there was tons of threads about that build, too bad I only did a search for threads containing "blink" in the title :p Will read it now, thanks.
Foks
Profile Joined December 2011
United States71 Posts
March 09 2012 14:26 GMT
#86
I think this timing has been figured out by most zergs diamond +. I don't like it if u didn't preceed it with +1 4gate, etc (to set the Z back). I see it fail in high masters streams consistently. Seems like players are only able to pull it off because zerg just made mistakes with their macro.
ParkChungHee
Profile Joined November 2010
24 Posts
March 09 2012 14:30 GMT
#87
On March 09 2012 23:26 Foks wrote:
I think this timing has been figured out by most zergs diamond +. I don't like it if u didn't preceed it with +1 4gate, etc (to set the Z back). I see it fail in high masters streams consistently. Seems like players are only able to pull it off because zerg just made mistakes with their macro.


Diamond doesn't really even know what a timing is. I've been trying this build out recently and I would say im about 70% win ratio with it.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 14:50:22
March 09 2012 14:48 GMT
#88
--- Nuked ---
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 15:12:18
March 09 2012 15:05 GMT
#89
On March 09 2012 22:21 Nyast wrote:
Sorry for the bump.

I'm surprised that no guide seems to exist for that build ( did a search and could only find discussions ). It's still used regularly, despite being pretty old. But I wonder how effective it has become, given the metagame changes of the past months.

In any case, I've been practising variants of that build and I think a good way to modernize it is to incorporate some forms of early pressure. You can't keep a Zerg alone for 10+ minutes nowadays, or you're in a hell of trouble.

It's possible to do a timing push of 8 zealots right when +1 finishes, and it doesn't even seem to slow down the blink timing that much ( I could still hit +2 and blink done by 10'30 ).

I've also been practising it out of a 1 gate FE instead of a FFE, and I can even incorporate a 1 zealot + 2 stalkers rush right at the beginning ( plus still the 8 zealots +1 around 8'15 ).

So I'm wondering if some other people still use that build, and if you do, what changes have you brought to it to make it more effective with the current metagame ?


you mean like this exact build yesterday from mc?

http://www.esl-world.net/masters/season6/hanover/sc2/playoffs/download/26115398/

ecept for the 1 gate fe bit....but yeah 1 gate fe with that zealot and two stalkers works really well and puts the zerg in a much more difficult position over when to drone and when not too. often you force enough early lings they all-in you or screw their economy. also have you tried putting pylon and first gate in natural so you can wall your expansion really early, as 1 gate fe is vulnerable to mass speedling but already starting the wall with first gateway means you can have a 1 hex gap wall when they try and be aggressive with speedlings.

although personally i feel most zergs don't feel safe enough to go mutas against a 1 gate fe and more often go roach ling and against this I much prefer an immortal push rather than blink.
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Grayboosh
Profile Joined March 2011
United States68 Posts
March 09 2012 16:01 GMT
#90
On June 11 2011 06:25 BlACKTrA wrote:
many People dont realize a Stalker und a Hydra are exact the same, they kill each other in the direct fight, Roaches are much stronger, and cheaper :O


Roaches are also incredibly easy to kite and abuse with forcefields.
You're goin down gray bush.
Foks
Profile Joined December 2011
United States71 Posts
March 09 2012 18:27 GMT
#91
On March 09 2012 23:30 ParkChungHee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2012 23:26 Foks wrote:
I think this timing has been figured out by most zergs diamond +. I don't like it if u didn't preceed it with +1 4gate, etc (to set the Z back). I see it fail in high masters streams consistently. Seems like players are only able to pull it off because zerg just made mistakes with their macro.


Diamond doesn't really even know what a timing is. I've been trying this build out recently and I would say im about 70% win ratio with it.


Diamond play revolves around tons of 2 base timings, what are you talking about? Grats w/ your 70% win rate, but doesn't mean anything.
ODKStevez
Profile Joined February 2011
Ireland1225 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-09 20:16:12
March 09 2012 20:15 GMT
#92
Why was this bumped? O_O

EDIT: Facepalm, nvm found the reason.
Luppa <3
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
March 09 2012 20:18 GMT
#93
On March 10 2012 00:05 ThePianoDentist wrote:
you mean like this exact build yesterday from mc?

http://www.esl-world.net/masters/season6/hanover/sc2/playoffs/download/26115398/

ecept for the 1 gate fe bit....but yeah 1 gate fe with that zealot and two stalkers works really well and puts the zerg in a much more difficult position over when to drone and when not too. often you force enough early lings they all-in you or screw their economy. also have you tried putting pylon and first gate in natural so you can wall your expansion really early, as 1 gate fe is vulnerable to mass speedling but already starting the wall with first gateway means you can have a 1 hex gap wall when they try and be aggressive with speedlings.


Yes! Mc's build is exactly what I was talking about ( though it's from a FFE ). His timings are identical to what I found too.

Yeah 1 gate FE with a wall at natural is really strong, it's weird that no pros are doing it. I prefer it to FFE since it's easier to scout and feels safer versus allins. Doesn't require the early cannon either. However it has one "big" drawback: you can't punish a hatch first. You can pressure quickly with your zealot and two stalkers, but it's hard to evaluate if the damage is worth the delay in the eco game. Overall I think if you can snippe an overlord, a queen and force 16+ lings, you're probably pretty ahead despite expanding more than 2 minutes later.. if you don't do damage though, you're in trouble.
ParkChungHee
Profile Joined November 2010
24 Posts
March 10 2012 00:18 GMT
#94
On March 10 2012 03:27 Foks wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2012 23:30 ParkChungHee wrote:
On March 09 2012 23:26 Foks wrote:
I think this timing has been figured out by most zergs diamond +. I don't like it if u didn't preceed it with +1 4gate, etc (to set the Z back). I see it fail in high masters streams consistently. Seems like players are only able to pull it off because zerg just made mistakes with their macro.


Diamond doesn't really even know what a timing is. I've been trying this build out recently and I would say im about 70% win ratio with it.


Diamond play revolves around tons of 2 base timings, what are you talking about? Grats w/ your 70% win rate, but doesn't mean anything.


What I mean is that even if a zerg of diamond level were to scout this, they probally wouldn't even know what was coming. Even a lot of masters don't know how to properly prepare for it. It definately works at higher level of play, I think this build can be really tough to deal with.
Chelch
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom159 Posts
March 10 2012 06:34 GMT
#95
On March 10 2012 09:18 ParkChungHee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2012 03:27 Foks wrote:
On March 09 2012 23:30 ParkChungHee wrote:
On March 09 2012 23:26 Foks wrote:
I think this timing has been figured out by most zergs diamond +. I don't like it if u didn't preceed it with +1 4gate, etc (to set the Z back). I see it fail in high masters streams consistently. Seems like players are only able to pull it off because zerg just made mistakes with their macro.


Diamond doesn't really even know what a timing is. I've been trying this build out recently and I would say im about 70% win ratio with it.


Diamond play revolves around tons of 2 base timings, what are you talking about? Grats w/ your 70% win rate, but doesn't mean anything.


What I mean is that even if a zerg of diamond level were to scout this, they probally wouldn't even know what was coming. Even a lot of masters don't know how to properly prepare for it. It definately works at higher level of play, I think this build can be really tough to deal with.


This guy doesn't play at a diamond level obviously, if he did, he'd realize people are smart enough to recognize almost all of the known 2 base timings in various matchups.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 297
Mind 64
Bale 29
Icarus 10
ZergMaN 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm236
League of Legends
JimRising 771
Other Games
summit1g7486
Coldzera 704
WinterStarcraft636
C9.Mang0312
Sick141
febbydoto15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick774
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2119
League of Legends
• Rush1159
Other Games
• Shiphtur590
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
4h 26m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
6h 26m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 26m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 26m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.