• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:37
CEST 00:37
KST 07:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8755 users

[D] 15 CC TvP- Viable? - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
da_head
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada3350 Posts
March 30 2011 15:33 GMT
#21
doesn't seem like a good idea. 3 gate can hit u at 5:30 with like 5 zlots and 8 stalkers (if properly executed), and i doubt you would have enough guys to hold that off.
When they see MC Probe, all the ladies disrobe.
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
March 30 2011 15:40 GMT
#22
At around that 5:30 mark I've had just enough guys + bunkers that I think I could hold this off.

You wall off with this build, to stop anything from running into your main.

You have at least one bunker covering both your ramp and some of your natural

DT's can very easily be held off-

ANYTHING LATER THAN A 4 GATE CAN BE HELD.


(Possible exception for blink stalkers, if you have aweful micro V gosu micro- have not tested this enough)

The economic advantage is actually larger than you'd think- initially, it's a bit smaller, but you have two OC's much faster than you would with 1 rax FE.
Plague1503
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia466 Posts
March 30 2011 15:40 GMT
#23
I've been doing it in almost every game on Tal'Darim and Terminus. Absolutely viable if you turtle up with 2 Bunkers and start producing Marines ASAP.
"Good luck." "I don't need luck. I have ammo."
Plague1503
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia466 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 15:43:15
March 30 2011 15:42 GMT
#24
On March 31 2011 00:40 Selkie wrote:
The economic advantage is Actually larger than you'd think- initially, it's a bit smaller, but you have two OC's much faster than you would with 1 rax FE.

This. Early double MULEs can really, to quote one of the cheesiest SC lines EVER, kick your production into overdrive. :D
"Good luck." "I don't need luck. I have ammo."
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
March 30 2011 15:44 GMT
#25
On March 31 2011 00:40 Selkie wrote:
At around that 5:30 mark I've had just enough guys + bunkers that I think I could hold this off.

You wall off with this build, to stop anything from running into your main.

You have at least one bunker covering both your ramp and some of your natural

DT's can very easily be held off-

ANYTHING LATER THAN A 4 GATE CAN BE HELD.


(Possible exception for blink stalkers, if you have aweful micro V gosu micro- have not tested this enough)

The economic advantage is actually larger than you'd think- initially, it's a bit smaller, but you have two OC's much faster than you would with 1 rax FE.


I've played against Blink stalkers plenty off a bunker expand. With only marines and SCVs, you can't hold if the other player micros even half decently. Stalkers are faster and have longer range than marines and with Blink, they can deal with a nearly infinite amount.

You can't tech too far because then you will only have stimless marines at the point of attack, but you also need to get enough tech to deal with these stalkers (preferably upgraded MM). Marauders are pretty much a must as a follow up to a 15 CC.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
March 30 2011 15:50 GMT
#26
the last time someone did 15 CC to me, I did a 4gate hallucinated colossus to warp units up into his main when he's busy defending against me from the earlier troops i made that are camped outside the expo
Sabin010
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1892 Posts
March 30 2011 16:21 GMT
#27
Gold League Protoss here. On 4-player maps vs T I always scout at 9 and harass with the scout. If you're dropping a 15 cc on the natural, I am going to suspect proxy rax, and immediately start a second gate in my main.

If I do see the cc I'm going to attack that scv to delay that cc as long as possible with the worker harass, and I could proxy a stargate after the core finishes and use that void ray for vision to get warp ins into your main.

How many workers can be killed if I chronoboost out 2 stalkers out of 2-gates, and do early aggression before concussive shells, if my harass is going well im going to get 2 more stalkers.

How does this do against an immortal drop with 3 gates of warp-ins for support?

What about them proxy void rays?

I doubt a DT build would hurt this too much as you should be taking advantage of the 4 gas with a double engineering bay so turrets should be availible by the 7 minute mark, along side the extra scans from the second orbital.
emythrel
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom2599 Posts
March 30 2011 16:26 GMT
#28
I go CC first sometimes on the huge new maps, the GSL one in particular. If you practice walling with a couple rax with spaces for a bunker or two in between you can usually hold early agression quite well, but you have to wait to tech up until you are safe.

As jinro said earlier, you need those bunkers.
When there is nothing left to lose but your dignity, it is already gone.
underdawg
Profile Joined January 2011
United States399 Posts
March 30 2011 16:27 GMT
#29
On March 31 2011 01:21 Sabin010 wrote:
Gold League Protoss here. On 4-player maps vs T I always scout at 9 and harass with the scout. If you're dropping a 15 cc on the natural, I am going to suspect proxy rax, and immediately start a second gate in my main.

If I do see the cc I'm going to attack that scv to delay that cc as long as possible with the worker harass, and I could proxy a stargate after the core finishes and use that void ray for vision to get warp ins into your main.

How many workers can be killed if I chronoboost out 2 stalkers out of 2-gates, and do early aggression before concussive shells, if my harass is going well im going to get 2 more stalkers.

How does this do against an immortal drop with 3 gates of warp-ins for support?

What about them proxy void rays?

I doubt a DT build would hurt this too much as you should be taking advantage of the 4 gas with a double engineering bay so turrets should be availible by the 7 minute mark, along side the extra scans from the second orbital.

with a 15 cc, a proxy rax, or a rax of any sort is impossible. and no one is gonna proxy rax after a 15 CC...you kind of need the rax in your base to defend, as the time has passed to do a cheesy proxy.

i dunno, with a FE my focus is on getting as many units as possible so i don't die. i really doubt players will have double ebay by 7 mins. you're just talking out of your butt
Came Norrection
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada168 Posts
March 30 2011 16:29 GMT
#30
I think anything less than a 1 rax marauder pressure expo is going to get you contained to 1 base when protoss goes 3 gate expo. which is kinda bad because you are going to be mining out of your main really fast and you don't get to have 2 mineral lines of saturation.
"The lie is just a great story ruined by the truth."
revy
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1524 Posts
March 30 2011 16:32 GMT
#31
I remember someone did a very good economical analysis of BW and SC2. The gist of it was that having 10-20 probes on a single mineral line was much better in SC2 then it was in BW whereas having <10 or >20 probes on a mineral line was better in BW than in SC2. This helps to explain why 14 CC / 12 Nexus / Hatch first eventually became much stronger in BW. You really saw a marked improvement having 2 mineral lines with 10 workers than a single mineral line with 20. In SC2 with improved worker AI this difference is not as marked. While certainly having a second worker producing structure is good from an economy perspective it didn't provide the same "bang for the buck" as it did in BW.

I can't comment on how viable or safe this opening is in SC2 I'ld be interested in taking a look though.
rolfe
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1266 Posts
March 30 2011 16:35 GMT
#32
would some kind of void ray play beat this?
life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously but there it is. Life finds a way
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
March 30 2011 16:37 GMT
#33
On March 31 2011 01:35 rolfe wrote:
would some kind of void ray play beat this?


I'd say probably not. You'll probably be massing quite a few marines for early game defense, so those should do just fine against Void Rays. If you invest quickly in marauders however, that could be trouble.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Wintertime
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada64 Posts
March 30 2011 17:10 GMT
#34
On March 31 2011 01:27 underdawg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2011 01:21 Sabin010 wrote:
Gold League Protoss here. On 4-player maps vs T I always scout at 9 and harass with the scout. If you're dropping a 15 cc on the natural, I am going to suspect proxy rax, and immediately start a second gate in my main.

If I do see the cc I'm going to attack that scv to delay that cc as long as possible with the worker harass, and I could proxy a stargate after the core finishes and use that void ray for vision to get warp ins into your main.

How many workers can be killed if I chronoboost out 2 stalkers out of 2-gates, and do early aggression before concussive shells, if my harass is going well im going to get 2 more stalkers.

How does this do against an immortal drop with 3 gates of warp-ins for support?

What about them proxy void rays?

I doubt a DT build would hurt this too much as you should be taking advantage of the 4 gas with a double engineering bay so turrets should be availible by the 7 minute mark, along side the extra scans from the second orbital.

with a 15 cc, a proxy rax, or a rax of any sort is impossible. and no one is gonna proxy rax after a 15 CC...you kind of need the rax in your base to defend, as the time has passed to do a cheesy proxy.

i dunno, with a FE my focus is on getting as many units as possible so i don't die. i really doubt players will have double ebay by 7 mins. you're just talking out of your butt


He meant that if he didn't see a rax down yet, nor the CC (assume we're at like 13 supply) he would expect you're cheesing, which would prompt his response of throwing down that second gateway. With further scouting, he'll see the CC go down, and know he can use his 2 gateways to pressure that greedy opening.


15CC is autolose to anything cheesy. It will also lose to anything hitting before you have been able to get up a decent army (obviously), a timing which is about 4:30 to 5:00.
PredY
Profile Joined September 2009
Czech Republic1731 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-30 17:12:09
March 30 2011 17:10 GMT
#35
15cc can be actually very good
i'd suggest using it on maps with small choke at the natural though (ie. taldarim) so you can defend better with your bunkers. I used to build the CC right at the natural spot but then a friend told me it'd be better to build it in main to be safer from proxy gates.

what i advice is to have an scv ready on the spot at your natural right when your rax is done to get a bunker because a chrono boosted zealot on maps like testbug can be real pain (if you havent scouted yet)

my follow up is to actually get 1gas to get stim started asap (not sure but 2gas with 4 scvs total could be better) and then add 3 more rax to mass marine, try to sneak an scv to scout, if not possible use one of the first scans to scan P natural if he is getting an expansion IN RESPONSE. if not, get a lot of bunkers and scout your choke/your main for warpins/4gate rushes and have scvs ready for repair. get ebay soon for DTs too.

not sure how it works with the +30sec stim now though i think vs fast warprisms you don't have the stim in time.
http://www.twitch.tv/czelpredy
Sabin010
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1892 Posts
March 30 2011 17:12 GMT
#36
On March 31 2011 01:27 underdawg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2011 01:21 Sabin010 wrote:
Gold League Protoss here. On 4-player maps vs T I always scout at 9 and harass with the scout. If you're dropping a 15 cc on the natural, I am going to suspect proxy rax, and immediately start a second gate in my main.

If I do see the cc I'm going to attack that scv to delay that cc as long as possible with the worker harass, and I could proxy a stargate after the core finishes and use that void ray for vision to get warp ins into your main.

How many workers can be killed if I chronoboost out 2 stalkers out of 2-gates, and do early aggression before concussive shells, if my harass is going well im going to get 2 more stalkers.

How does this do against an immortal drop with 3 gates of warp-ins for support?

What about them proxy void rays?

I doubt a DT build would hurt this too much as you should be taking advantage of the 4 gas with a double engineering bay so turrets should be availible by the 7 minute mark, along side the extra scans from the second orbital.

with a 15 cc, a proxy rax, or a rax of any sort is impossible. and no one is gonna proxy rax after a 15 CC...you kind of need the rax in your base to defend, as the time has passed to do a cheesy proxy.

i dunno, with a FE my focus is on getting as many units as possible so i don't die. i really doubt players will have double ebay by 7 mins. you're just talking out of your butt


You misunderstood me. The timing of when I get into terran's base, (from a protoss perspective) with my scout is going to be before that 15 cc has even started. I won't see anything and I will assume there must be some sort of proxy rush coming. This is going to cause me to invest more into units. Also you're not going to be able to deny my scouting so I will see the 15 cc and problebly just start my rush right then.

As for this beating void rays. If its a proxy void ray with the void rays giving vision for a spotter pylon I see this failing hard. Void rays have further range than the marines and with zealots under the void ray sitting in a spot so the marines get hit by the vray while the marines can't even hit the zealot then if they try the zealot just attacks marines. I don't see how it would work. Especially if I sent stalkers up to the nat while the void rays go for the main.
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
March 30 2011 17:55 GMT
#37
Alright, I've had 5 games on tal'darim today, all of which I did 14 CC. Only lost one when my macro slipped, and I had 500 minerals when 4gate hit. (Epic fail)

Voidrays: They can be held
Warp prism: You need to scout, and be good. This can be held, but you need to be good and active. Not for sub-diamond, I'm tempted to say sub-masters.

I've gotten away with it on Xel'naga.

Proxy 2gate zealot can be held, however, a cannon rush *might* not. (I can't hold a cannon rush as is >_>. I'd assume you cancel your CC, go for a rax, and pray.) Again, good scouting is needed.

Fast expanding is still GOOD.

I'm not sure how much, if any, damage stalkers would do. My bunkers cover:
A) My ramp
B) My natural's mineral line

How are stalkers going to be able to shoot without being shot at?
hmsrenown
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1263 Posts
March 30 2011 18:04 GMT
#38
Blink stalkers will give this build the most trouble, but I'd try it on Tal'Darim/Terminus
oNSarcasm
Profile Joined November 2010
104 Posts
March 30 2011 18:06 GMT
#39
If its a map with a big natural i dont see how this could work well, i've played against terran who 1rax FE me before and all i do against them is 4gate. The 4gate doesn't work as well on maps with a natural that can be defended by a few bunkers or with a ramp like shakuras but most maps like metal or shattered, all i do is walk around the bunkers with my units. Even if your bunker gets a few free shots off on my units or kills a unit i still get all my army around your bunkers without too much trouble, with that i can just sit behind ur mineral line and shut down your expo. On a map like Shattered i can put a pylon at the gold and warp in behind the side area where the rocks are. Even if you have 2-3 bunkers you will only have 1 that will have the range to shoot my units when i run by if the natural is big enough.
Exstasy
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom393 Posts
March 30 2011 18:23 GMT
#40
15CC is how i want to open every game.
because i love playing with risks ahah, And i like a challenge ^_^
even if the advantage is negligable I still feel so cool when i drop the CC
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O164
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 503
ZZZero.O 164
Hyun 91
Dota 2
monkeys_forever302
League of Legends
Doublelift3734
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4531
Liquid`Hasu492
Other Games
summit1g13757
FrodaN1622
JimRising 332
KnowMe229
Livibee199
ViBE75
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• Adnapsc2 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra772
Other Games
• imaqtpie1045
• Shiphtur568
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 23m
Patches Events
16h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 23m
OSC
1d
OSC
1d 13h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.