• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:01
CEST 20:01
KST 03:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8295 users

[G] ZvZ Hatch first vs a 14/14 - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 19 Next All
Talaf
Profile Joined March 2011
21 Posts
March 26 2011 09:38 GMT
#141
Hi!

I used this strat to great effect. My main question is, how do you react to another hatch first? I'm not good nor do I ladder alot, I mainly play customs with friends who are not zergs, so it would be the matchup I'm the worst at. On ladder, everyone goes speedlings (and all in on my hatch first) so I won alot, but during a cw my opponent went hatch first and he out eco'd me early the first game, and speedling crushed me the second when I tried to drone more. When watching the replays, he had superior economy both games (due to the fact that his queens were up way earlier than mine probably).

I seem to not be able to "feel" his economy on hatch first vs hatch first. Should I double queen early and make defensive banelings instead of an early roach warren (then quickly transition into roaches while droning a bit and scouting for all ins)?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
March 26 2011 09:46 GMT
#142
On March 26 2011 18:38 Talaf wrote:
Hi!

I used this strat to great effect. My main question is, how do you react to another hatch first? I'm not good nor do I ladder alot, I mainly play customs with friends who are not zergs, so it would be the matchup I'm the worst at. On ladder, everyone goes speedlings (and all in on my hatch first) so I won alot, but during a cw my opponent went hatch first and he out eco'd me early the first game, and speedling crushed me the second when I tried to drone more. When watching the replays, he had superior economy both games (due to the fact that his queens were up way earlier than mine probably).

I seem to not be able to "feel" his economy on hatch first vs hatch first. Should I double queen early and make defensive banelings instead of an early roach warren (then quickly transition into roaches while droning a bit and scouting for all ins)?


Hi, lately this is how I have been doing hatch first is: (this is if they hatch first just remember)
15 hatch
16 pool
overlord on 17-18
Get gas guiser at about spawning pool half health
2 queens as soon as spawning pool finishes
make 4 lings
make a baneling nest asap

Use 1 of the 4 lings to scout your opponents base. If you see he's making lots of lings, make more lings yourself and make banes.

Also throw down a roach warren (haven't "perfected" a timing but I have been able to get some roaches out and have about 4-5 banelings before a speedling all in comes).

This is just my personal preference as so many noobs love zergling all inning in this mu when both hatch firsting (and if someone is one of those sorry truth hurts! ).

Hope this helps you out a bit glad you like the guide!

When I think of something else, something will go here
Talaf
Profile Joined March 2011
21 Posts
March 26 2011 09:58 GMT
#143
Wow thanks a lot for the quick response ^_^ And I'm happy cause that's not far from what I was thinking, my game sense must be getting better :D Would you make the bnest before the speedling upgrade?
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
March 26 2011 10:00 GMT
#144
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 26 2011 18:46 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 18:38 Talaf wrote:
Hi!

I used this strat to great effect. My main question is, how do you react to another hatch first? I'm not good nor do I ladder alot, I mainly play customs with friends who are not zergs, so it would be the matchup I'm the worst at. On ladder, everyone goes speedlings (and all in on my hatch first) so I won alot, but during a cw my opponent went hatch first and he out eco'd me early the first game, and speedling crushed me the second when I tried to drone more. When watching the replays, he had superior economy both games (due to the fact that his queens were up way earlier than mine probably).

I seem to not be able to "feel" his economy on hatch first vs hatch first. Should I double queen early and make defensive banelings instead of an early roach warren (then quickly transition into roaches while droning a bit and scouting for all ins)?


Hi, lately this is how I have been doing hatch first is: (this is if they hatch first just remember)
15 hatch
16 pool
overlord on 17-18
Get gas guiser at about spawning pool half health
2 queens as soon as spawning pool finishes
make 4 lings
make a baneling nest asap

Use 1 of the 4 lings to scout your opponents base. If you see he's making lots of lings, make more lings yourself and make banes.

Also throw down a roach warren (haven't "perfected" a timing but I have been able to get some roaches out and have about 4-5 banelings before a speedling all in comes).

This is just my personal preference as so many noobs love zergling all inning in this mu when both hatch firsting (and if someone is one of those sorry truth hurts! ).

Hope this helps you out a bit glad you like the guide!



That's pretty interesting. A lot of the time hatch first vs hatch first goes to ling/baneling and stays there, like a 2 base version of a 14/14 vs 14/14. This seems like a good way to get out of it and transition into a midgame roach/infestor
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 10:09:55
March 26 2011 10:09 GMT
#145
On March 26 2011 18:58 Talaf wrote:
Wow thanks a lot for the quick response ^_^ And I'm happy cause that's not far from what I was thinking, my game sense must be getting better :D Would you make the bnest before the speedling upgrade?


I get my speedling upgrade very late with this style I am doing lately. Its something I have been messing around with my past few zvz's where we both hatch first.

That's pretty interesting. A lot of the time hatch first vs hatch first goes to ling/baneling and stays there, like a 2 base version of a 14/14 vs 14/14. This seems like a good way to get out of it and transition into a midgame roach/infestor


Yes I hate speed/bane wars as 1 mis micro can cost you the game. I prefer the more macro oriented style of play and roach/bane well hold all in lings easily as long as you make sure your banes kill more then 1 ling

still can be a little micro intensive not letting your banes die to 1 ling at a time but not very much not even close to the amount on ling/bane vs ling/bane ^_^
When I think of something else, something will go here
Phanekim
Profile Joined April 2003
United States777 Posts
March 27 2011 14:07 GMT
#146
i've actually learned a lot in this thread. zvz is always gonna be a volatile matchup though.
i like cheese
TibblesEvilCat
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom766 Posts
March 28 2011 06:50 GMT
#147
ive started seeing player do this more offen and its great!
Totally awsome!

I like to fe twice and the timing of this bo blindness i can do 1level saturation perbase bèfore i gota mass roach n tech.

Queens are starting to be less required on certin maps and match ups, which is nice it forces oppoments to react and scout to zerg as the best wins ive had now are that sort of no queen, roach defend into 2 base queen boom,

Thanks blade cu ön bn?
Live Fast Die Young :D
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-28 16:37:59
March 28 2011 07:12 GMT
#148
What variant do you do on tal darim altar and scrap station? the ramps there are too big to block with a queen and two roaches.

Edit: Especially on Tal Darim, I watched your replay on scrap.
On TD the ramps are huge and he has a lot of paths into your base, I feel like you need more mobility.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
March 29 2011 19:24 GMT
#149
On March 28 2011 16:12 NeonFox wrote:
What variant do you do on tal darim altar and scrap station? the ramps there are too big to block with a queen and two roaches.

Edit: Especially on Tal Darim, I watched your replay on scrap.
On TD the ramps are huge and he has a lot of paths into your base, I feel like you need more mobility.


Um I do the same thing. You have to also know that the rush distance is a lot bigger. I personally make 1 spine crawler and then get enough roaches to wall it off for the most part. I haven't played too many zvz's on taldar and the 3 I have we all hatch firsted that I can recall right now.
When I think of something else, something will go here
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
April 02 2011 08:16 GMT
#150
This build is very good but few things:

1. How I should defend for example on Tal darim altar if he just runs with speedlings though the roaches and focus fires all drones on main? I of course move drones to expansion but he kills few, then when I come to main he runs to expansion and then it's like 5 drones for me and I can't do anything vs. that.

2. What opening you are doing when opponent is going expansion too? Banelings or roaches?
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
April 03 2011 00:39 GMT
#151
On April 02 2011 17:16 Alpina wrote:
This build is very good but few things:

1. How I should defend for example on Tal darim altar if he just runs with speedlings though the roaches and focus fires all drones on main? I of course move drones to expansion but he kills few, then when I come to main he runs to expansion and then it's like 5 drones for me and I can't do anything vs. that.

2. What opening you are doing when opponent is going expansion too? Banelings or roaches?


1. You can normally stop them as you can wall off pretty well with 8 roaches and an evo chamber and using queens to help. Normally zergs don't want too risk losing all their lings to hopefully get in. Although I have only played 3 zvz's on it with 2 going hatch first, and 1 going 14/14 and he didn't want to risk losing all his lings.

2. If we both hatch first I have been going banelings first, and roaches. So I get bane nest first, then roach warren, morph about 6 banelings as it seems most zergs go all in speedling and this hard counters it and if they don't it doesn't put you behind at all.
When I think of something else, something will go here
apalemorning
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada509 Posts
April 03 2011 00:51 GMT
#152
on scrap and tal darim u just 15 hatch into speedling. must safer unless you're really good at holding with roaches (im not)
immortal/roach is pretty good against stalkers
DrDoom
Profile Joined December 2010
United States107 Posts
April 03 2011 01:34 GMT
#153
Nice guide! I've been looking to do more FE openings ZvZ, but it's felt too risky. This will definitely help
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-03 01:53:17
April 03 2011 01:52 GMT
#154
On April 03 2011 09:51 apalemorning wrote:
on scrap and tal darim u just 15 hatch into speedling. must safer unless you're really good at holding with roaches (im not)


The problem with that is if they go fast banelings you have no defense against it except like a queen if your going into speedling.

There are other ways if you don't like roaches, baneling nest and slow lings, or mass spine crawler which dimaga does.

Nice guide! I've been looking to do more FE openings ZvZ, but it's felt too risky. This will definitely help


thanks glad to see lots of positive feedback for this ^_^
When I think of something else, something will go here
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
April 03 2011 09:01 GMT
#155
You are a saint. zvz just got a bit less retarded.
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
April 03 2011 09:12 GMT
#156
Hm hm..this might help some ppl...but it is a well known fact that you can hold FE vs 14/14...
the <10pools are a problem.

And also there are many many ways to hold, not just this 1
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
April 03 2011 09:24 GMT
#157
On April 03 2011 18:01 T0fuuu wrote:
You are a saint. zvz just got a bit less retarded.


hah yeah I hate zvz now due to patch. Infestor play isn't fun to me :/.
When I think of something else, something will go here
RimJaynor
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada145 Posts
April 03 2011 10:11 GMT
#158
I do this build all the time. the one problem i have is when my opponent stops production and just starts massing lings....with a very large amount he can just kil my hatchery and run away...even if he loses a ton of lings
http://www.youtube.com/user/RimJaynorSCII?feature=mhum Check out my channel. Masters Zerg Player
WarrickHunt
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom393 Posts
April 03 2011 10:25 GMT
#159
just held an 11 pool with a fast expo this build order rox, drones had to get a little messy, but i had my expo up and lings n the way when he got there, so i still felt like i had won already

awsome, thanks to blade
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
April 03 2011 10:35 GMT
#160
I wanna discuss this further:
The advantage 14/14 has over this kind of roach defense is that with a much faster speed one has a lot easier time scouting, and with hatch first you are forced to make some blind roaches that may turn out to be useless giving time to catch up in economy.
The way korean zergs of the nestea school play this is massing slow roaches without lair and going for a timing attack that hits before the 14/14 player can get his own roach tech kickin in (or, forcing him to get roaches before closing the economic gap).

In my experience though you can't do this on the new larger maps, because they have enough time to spine up and stall while your roaches move their slow asses across the map. To me it seems that, paradoxically, this makes 14/14 stronger than hatch first on large maps. Have you found a hatch first opening that is
a) safe against pool first and,
b) can consistently kill a pool first build?

because if there is none, pool first seems to be less fragile and easier to play without any real weakness.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 383
UpATreeSC 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1185
actioN 472
BeSt 208
Dewaltoss 145
firebathero 98
Zeus 71
Trap 36
zelot 27
soO 27
ToSsGirL 24
[ Show more ]
Sexy 23
Bale 22
JYJ 21
Shine 19
NaDa 9
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7294
qojqva2135
Dendi733
420jenkins151
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1168
Fnx 727
x6flipin361
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6707
crisheroes5077
Liquid`Hasu773
Other Games
Beastyqt733
B2W.Neo592
ceh9506
byalli344
ArmadaUGS162
C9.Mang0148
KnowMe148
Khaldor133
TKL 118
BRAT_OK 79
Trikslyr54
Railgan10
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV264
BasetradeTV197
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH309
• StrangeGG 61
• Reevou 6
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 43
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• blackmanpl 19
• FirePhoenix13
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV408
League of Legends
• Nemesis3758
• TFBlade925
Other Games
• Shiphtur342
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 59m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 59m
Stellar Fest
18h 59m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.