• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:16
CEST 20:16
KST 03:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8674 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 285

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 283 284 285 286 287 900 Next
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 22 2011 18:15 GMT
#5681
On July 23 2011 01:45 galtdunn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2011 01:28 Blazinghand wrote:
I'm here to clear things up! I even brought evidence

Contested towers do not display any extra vision, and units by a tower from opponents contests it.

On July 22 2011 23:37 galtdunn wrote:
On July 22 2011 23:35 StoRm_res wrote:
On July 22 2011 23:31 galtdunn wrote:
On July 22 2011 22:16 Tommylew wrote:
HI i just seen the post about how fast Dt's can take down a hive and lair etc, and that was one of my questions my other question is for maps like shattered temple where if u cant get a pylon close and you are at cross positions does a cloaked DT when running through the middle and they have a unit on the watchtower will they lose vision slightly when ur cloaked unit runs through or will the unit keep vision need to know wether to run my DT around the watchtower??



Their unit will only lose vision if you kill it or make it move. Just running your DT next to the unit there won't do anything. If you want to be extra safe though, just don't walk right next to it.


I'm actually pretty sure their unit will lose vision. First of all I think I saw that myself in a game, and second of all, if you wouldnt lose vision, then the dt wouldnt be able to hold the watch tower, which is obviouly not true


But i think the way watchtowers work is that whatever unit that was originaly holding it keeps it powered until it dies or moves. DTs can obviously power them also, but not while an enemy unit is powering it, not without killing it. There aren't any units with priority on watchtower control.


I disagree. I'm 100% sure that if there are two ground units in range, the tower remains unpowered for both teams, regardless as to which team got there first. I remember this from every game where you're having little worker fights on XNC near the towers, if you move your worker up to the tower, the tower becomes depowered


On July 22 2011 23:40 Ninja_Bread wrote:
The tower would become contested and nobody would have vision until only one player's units are in its range.


This is correct.

From the Liquipedia article on (Wiki)Xel&s
Xel Naga Tower Article wrote:
When two enemy units are within activation range of a Xel'Naga Tower, it will deactivate.


Haha wan't even my post but thatnk you for clearing this up.

I searched liquidpedia by there was no article specifically on watchtowers
someone should get on that.


Oh, my bad. I thought this post was you. I guess the forum auto-quote thing must have mis-labeled it.

It turns out there actually is an article in liquipedia on xel'naga towers, and after many hours of careful research, I found it in the post of mine you just quoted.
(Wiki)Xel&
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 18:29:35
July 22 2011 18:29 GMT
#5682
Does anyone have the 21 drone or 24 drone roachling timing attack? Like the build order or a video or something? I have been struggling with it a lot.

in ZvP.
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 19:30:55
July 22 2011 19:29 GMT
#5683
On July 23 2011 03:29 AustinCM wrote:
Does anyone have the 21 drone or 24 drone roachling timing attack? Like the build order or a video or something? I have been struggling with it a lot.

in ZvP.


Here you go. Hope it helps.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=224227

This is a roach ling all-in that works fairly well in both ZvZ and ZvP.
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 19:59:13
July 22 2011 19:58 GMT
#5684
Sry but that's not even close to what i was talking about, I don't want just some timing, I want the roachling timing. That's a 1 base build...
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 20:22:38
July 22 2011 20:09 GMT
#5685
On July 23 2011 04:29 HardCorey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2011 03:29 AustinCM wrote:
Does anyone have the 21 drone or 24 drone roachling timing attack? Like the build order or a video or something? I have been struggling with it a lot.

in ZvP.


Here you go. Hope it helps.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=224227

This is a roach ling all-in that works fairly well in both ZvZ and ZvP.

This is not a good build for ZvP, I wouldn't recommend using it in that match-up.

As for a ZvP roach ling timing, the one I use if I see a vulnerability in my opponent, then I will simply modify my 14p/14g/15h. With my opener, I only put 2 drones on gas until speed, then if I see the need to transition to the aggressive path, I'll but a 3rd drone on the gas as soon as speed starts then build the roach warren on 25. You should start saving up larva and build extra overlords about this time, as you should have enough resources for around 10 roaches as soon as the warren pops. At this point, I'll pull all but one drone off of gas and, depending on how the attack is going, start rallying lings or drone.

Here is a replay of me seeing a protoss go 1 gate expand before core... so I decided to just kill him/her. I was thrown off a bit because of the pylon block but the build is relativity the same, I just had 1 roach short and 5 less drones because of the lost larva from the late hatch.
http://drop.sc/20624

edit: OH wait, you're a protoss struggling with the build? lol misinterpretation for the win.
edit2: double misinterpretation!
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 20:17:37
July 22 2011 20:17 GMT
#5686
no im a zerg that needs to learn this timing, does this work against the standard 3g sentry expand with like 8 sentries and 2 zealots?
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 20:28:17
July 22 2011 20:26 GMT
#5687
On July 23 2011 05:17 AustinCM wrote:
no im a zerg that needs to learn this timing, does this work against the standard 3g sentry expand with like 8 sentries and 2 zealots?


It becomes a micro battle and it is also very map dependent. On a map like xel'naga or typhon you should have a definitive advantage because of the natural's openness. As long as you hit your timings right this should give a lot of trouble to a standard 3 gate expand. One thing I like about this build is that if your initial pressure doesn't look like it did too much damage, then you can simply take a third behind it and thanks to all the sentry energy you've burned, it will be a while until your opponent can move about the map again.

One thing I want to note, is that on closed naturals like shakuras or tal'darim this wouldn't work so well, but on these maps your opponent should be forge expanding anyway which is veeeery safe against this kind of pressure.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
July 22 2011 20:46 GMT
#5688
i dnt do this against anybody going ffe but i seriously have trouble hitting a good timing, sometimes i hit iwth 6 roaches at 7:15 or 8 roaches at 7:40 and i reinforce with ligns until i supply cap myself at 52. should i be making more reinforcements?
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 22 2011 20:51 GMT
#5689
On July 23 2011 05:46 AustinCM wrote:
i dnt do this against anybody going ffe but i seriously have trouble hitting a good timing, sometimes i hit iwth 6 roaches at 7:15 or 8 roaches at 7:40 and i reinforce with ligns until i supply cap myself at 52. should i be making more reinforcements?

It depends on what you see in your opponent's base and on the map. For scouting, you should have your initial 4 lings poking the front and seeing the angle you need to attack, what you should attack, if you can win the battle etc. If you feel like you could win the game right there, like if your opponent had no cannons or stalkers when your roaches hit, then rallying speedlings could win you the game right there. In most cases, however, it is better to use this push as an aggressive contain, burn force fields, and cover a third base. In this case you should probably use your larva for droning.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
ShadowSerpent
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands5 Posts
July 22 2011 21:04 GMT
#5690
I've recently noticed that on maps with neutral supply depots, some Protoss players tend to destroy the depot on their own base. I was wondering why this was and why I haven't seen any other race do it.
Are Protoss players just more easily bored, or is it an actual strategic decision?
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 22 2011 21:08 GMT
#5691
On July 23 2011 06:04 ShadowSerpent wrote:
I've recently noticed that on maps with neutral supply depots, some Protoss players tend to destroy the depot on their own base. I was wondering why this was and why I haven't seen any other race do it.
Are Protoss players just more easily bored, or is it an actual strategic decision?

It is just idling units with nothing to do. I've seen all three races destroy it literally because "why not?"
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
ShadowSerpent
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands5 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-22 21:14:42
July 22 2011 21:14 GMT
#5692
On July 23 2011 06:08 Soluhwin wrote:
It is just idling units with nothing to do. I've seen all three races destroy it literally because "why not?"

Allright. I haven't seen any other race do it yet, but then again I only watch a few casters. So basically it's the "easily bored" thing =p.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46489 Posts
July 22 2011 21:16 GMT
#5693
On July 23 2011 06:08 Soluhwin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2011 06:04 ShadowSerpent wrote:
I've recently noticed that on maps with neutral supply depots, some Protoss players tend to destroy the depot on their own base. I was wondering why this was and why I haven't seen any other race do it.
Are Protoss players just more easily bored, or is it an actual strategic decision?

It is just idling units with nothing to do. I've seen all three races destroy it literally because "why not?"


Sometimes, players will do it to put their own buildings in a strategic position. For example, that might be where a Protoss player wants to put a photon cannon.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
ShadowSerpent
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands5 Posts
July 22 2011 21:24 GMT
#5694
On July 23 2011 06:16 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Sometimes, players will do it to put their own buildings in a strategic position. For example, that might be where a Protoss player wants to put a photon cannon.


Well, I've only seen it in games where they didn't put any buildings in it's place; hence the question. I also think this would be a bit odd, since the 2 squares off doesn't matter that much in that location (and imo it's a really stupid place to wall off when you can just wall off at your high ground instead).
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 22 2011 21:26 GMT
#5695
When doing a 1 rax Fast Expand in TvP on a long rush distance map, how many bunkers do you need, and when should you lay them down, to combat a 3 gate robo allin?
This is assuming it's on a map like shakuras or shattered where the choke at the natural is small.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
July 22 2011 21:47 GMT
#5696
On July 23 2011 06:26 Blazinghand wrote:
When doing a 1 rax Fast Expand in TvP on a long rush distance map, how many bunkers do you need, and when should you lay them down, to combat a 3 gate robo allin?
This is assuming it's on a map like shakuras or shattered where the choke at the natural is small.


As many bunkers as you can afford units! It's never a bad thing being overly safe vs a 1 base. Generally 3-4 bunkers with scvs repairing will be fine. Also you want to stagger the bunkers so one step of FF can't eliminate all the repairing.
BlasiuS
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States2405 Posts
July 22 2011 21:57 GMT
#5697
On July 23 2011 03:29 AustinCM wrote:
Does anyone have the 21 drone or 24 drone roachling timing attack? Like the build order or a video or something? I have been struggling with it a lot.

in ZvP.


don't have an exact build order on hand but here's a replay:

EGIdrA v DREAMlegosu

IdrA stops at 21 drones for his attack. This should provide a good build order.
next week on Everybody Loves HypnoToad:
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 22 2011 22:03 GMT
#5698
On July 23 2011 06:47 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2011 06:26 Blazinghand wrote:
When doing a 1 rax Fast Expand in TvP on a long rush distance map, how many bunkers do you need, and when should you lay them down, to combat a 3 gate robo allin?
This is assuming it's on a map like shakuras or shattered where the choke at the natural is small.


As many bunkers as you can afford units! It's never a bad thing being overly safe vs a 1 base. Generally 3-4 bunkers with scvs repairing will be fine. Also you want to stagger the bunkers so one step of FF can't eliminate all the repairing.


Should I be cutting bunkers for rax, or vice versa, at any point? or just add more rax and more bunkers?
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 22 2011 22:48 GMT
#5699
On July 23 2011 06:08 Soluhwin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 23 2011 06:04 ShadowSerpent wrote:
I've recently noticed that on maps with neutral supply depots, some Protoss players tend to destroy the depot on their own base. I was wondering why this was and why I haven't seen any other race do it.
Are Protoss players just more easily bored, or is it an actual strategic decision?

It is just idling units with nothing to do. I've seen all three races destroy it literally because "why not?"


Woah woah. Definitely not an idling thing to do. It's critical to kill it in PvZ for defending against speedling runbys, since a great way to stop them is just to block your ramp with a gateway when you see it coming.
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
July 22 2011 23:49 GMT
#5700
In ZvZ on maps like Backwater Gulch how do I control my infestors and Roaches when going on the offensive to avoid getting demolished by FGs? because every expansion on that map is guarded by a choke.
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Prev 1 283 284 285 286 287 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2434
RotterdaM784
TaKeTV 326
IndyStarCraft 194
BRAT_OK 84
ZombieGrub78
SteadfastSC25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2434
RotterdaM 784
ByuN 363
IndyStarCraft 194
MaxPax 178
RuFF_SC2 111
BRAT_OK 84
ZombieGrub78
UpATreeSC 57
SteadfastSC 25
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3249
Shuttle 732
Mini 442
EffOrt 396
Dewaltoss 158
910 76
Mind 74
HiyA 65
Zeus 64
hero 56
[ Show more ]
sorry 21
Bale 20
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 14
zelot 10
scan(afreeca) 8
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
qojqva3572
Counter-Strike
fl0m5758
pashabiceps1021
Fnx 627
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3678
Liquid`Hasu1
Other Games
singsing2105
Beastyqt721
ceh9705
mouzStarbuck231
XaKoH 124
C9.Mang0118
QueenE62
Trikslyr53
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV226
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 125
• StrangeGG 45
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV373
Other Games
• imaqtpie683
• Shiphtur289
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 44m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h 44m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.