• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:02
CEST 21:02
KST 04:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8032 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 263

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 261 262 263 264 265 900 Next
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
July 13 2011 13:34 GMT
#5241
On July 13 2011 20:00 FlaminGinjaNinja wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 15:28 alphafuzard wrote:
On July 13 2011 14:19 ZeroTalent wrote:
On July 12 2011 06:52 Galbwe wrote:
Is it possible to friendly fire with fungal growth?


I have the general form of this question, which is, which units' splash damage has friendly fire, and which do not? I know tanks have it; so do Storm, EMP and Nuke, and Fungal doesn't; but I'm not sure about colossi, ultras, hellions, banelings, Thor air attack, archons, and raven HSM. I was shocked to see replays where the hellion flame went over friendly units and appeared to cause no damage...

colossi - no
ultras - no
hellions - no
banelings - no
thor air attack - i dont think so
archons - i dont think so
raven hsm - yes


Tanks - yes
EMP - yes
Storm - yes
Fungal - no
Nuke - yes (obviously)

Also thors don't do friendly air splash

And to be clear; archons certainly do not friendly fire, either.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Tommylew
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Wales2717 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-13 13:55:53
July 13 2011 13:39 GMT
#5242
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?
Live and Let Die!
Am0n3r
Profile Joined April 2010
United States254 Posts
July 13 2011 14:01 GMT
#5243
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.
Get comfortable being uncomfortable
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-13 14:05:27
July 13 2011 14:04 GMT
#5244
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


This isn't a balance thread. You can complain about balance and make your suggestions elsewhere.


On July 13 2011 22:39 Tommylew wrote:
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?


Do you mean a 1 base all in type dt rush or do you mean a dt expand type thing? If it's the latter then warp them in to defend. I believe MC at last MLG showcased this. Otherwise I don't know you most likely lost.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
July 13 2011 14:06 GMT
#5245
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


Ghosts actually have only 1 emp that does both. If it seems like there's more than one emp happening on your forces, that's because he may be emping your spellcasters more than once. To be clear; ghosts have 1 EMP spell that does both shield and energy damage, and any stacking you see is to deal more than 100 damage (the amount the spell does)
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Am0n3r
Profile Joined April 2010
United States254 Posts
July 13 2011 14:11 GMT
#5246
My questions was "if it was ever considered" or previously discussed... I am not complaining, I am just asking.
Get comfortable being uncomfortable
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
July 13 2011 14:28 GMT
#5247
On July 13 2011 23:04 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


This isn't a balance thread. You can complain about balance and make your suggestions elsewhere.


Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 22:39 Tommylew wrote:
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?


Do you mean a 1 base all in type dt rush or do you mean a dt expand type thing? If it's the latter then warp them in to defend. I believe MC at last MLG showcased this. Otherwise I don't know you most likely lost.


You haven't lost, definitely not, you can use your dts to defend, best-case-scenario with still having one in his base since you'll most likely lose some probes. Is it an extremely early, say 7-roaches-push? In that case you're in a tougher spot, but you should be able to get out some dts to defend I believe...
Tommylew
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Wales2717 Posts
July 13 2011 14:42 GMT
#5248
On July 13 2011 23:28 Tryxtira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 23:04 Numy wrote:
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


This isn't a balance thread. You can complain about balance and make your suggestions elsewhere.


On July 13 2011 22:39 Tommylew wrote:
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?


Do you mean a 1 base all in type dt rush or do you mean a dt expand type thing? If it's the latter then warp them in to defend. I believe MC at last MLG showcased this. Otherwise I don't know you most likely lost.


You haven't lost, definitely not, you can use your dts to defend, best-case-scenario with still having one in his base since you'll most likely lose some probes. Is it an extremely early, say 7-roaches-push? In that case you're in a tougher spot, but you should be able to get out some dts to defend I believe...


I think ill just have to keep trying and see what I come up to, like mayb get a sentry earlier to delay a lot longer, problem was i lost pylons and had to pull probes twhile my darkshrine finished and I got dt's out. Probably should only do this vs a expansion zerg now and switch to eithier 4 gate or 3 gate robo if I dont see an expansion from the zerg. Suppose only way to learn what it works vs and doesnt work vs is by trying.Problem is ive learnt how to do sentry expand by doing it lots and now im working on learning a few more buillds to try get into masters wihtout doing the same strategy in each matchup.
Live and Let Die!
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 13 2011 15:53 GMT
#5249
I was thinking aboout making a post about how i've never tried to master one single strategy or style.

I am a diamond zerg (haven't played much since I got promoted about a month ago due to work/school), but I started out as silver Soon after SC2 was released.

I'm planning on showing some various replays and talking about practicing and stuff.
I almost never go for a specific "build order" (obviously i go the standard 14/14 openers, 15 hatch, etc), but beyond that I rarely have a game plan.

Would this be a viable/good post? What would I have to do to make it so? and where would i post it? (i'm almost thinking as a [L] post on strat forum...)

P.S. i am thinking about asking for people to review the games as well and just provide possible pointers, etc (if i do this i will definitely be analyzing my games in the thread, so don't worry about me just trolling for help). Should that be part of the same thread or a different thread?
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
deathly rat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom911 Posts
July 13 2011 16:27 GMT
#5250
In PvZ, why wouldn't you choose to upgrade sheilds over base health?

Zerg has no way to take advantage of sheilds (like EMP), and they also regen unlike base health.
No logo (logo)
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 13 2011 16:38 GMT
#5251
On July 14 2011 01:27 deathly rat wrote:
In PvZ, why wouldn't you choose to upgrade sheilds over base health?

Zerg has no way to take advantage of sheilds (like EMP), and they also regen unlike base health.


Shield upgrades are more expensive than armor upgrades and take longer to research.

If you don't have air units, you're upgrading the same kind of units with both upgrades.

Protoss units tend to have more health point than shield points.

Gateway units already have 1 base armor. It's always a lot more efficient to have 0 shield upgrade and 2 armor than 1/1 . (see critical upgrade analysis).
geiko.813 (EU)
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 13 2011 16:42 GMT
#5252
On July 14 2011 00:53 galtdunn wrote:
I was thinking aboout making a post about how i've never tried to master one single strategy or style.

I am a diamond zerg (haven't played much since I got promoted about a month ago due to work/school), but I started out as silver Soon after SC2 was released.

I'm planning on showing some various replays and talking about practicing and stuff.
I almost never go for a specific "build order" (obviously i go the standard 14/14 openers, 15 hatch, etc), but beyond that I rarely have a game plan.

Would this be a viable/good post? What would I have to do to make it so? and where would i post it? (i'm almost thinking as a [L] post on strat forum...)

P.S. i am thinking about asking for people to review the games as well and just provide possible pointers, etc (if i do this i will definitely be analyzing my games in the thread, so don't worry about me just trolling for help). Should that be part of the same thread or a different thread?


I'm pretty sure telling people not to have a game plan is bad advice. Anyone can get to any league by just "winging it", but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I misunderstood you message, and you want to create a thread asking for advice, then yes, it's a good idea to analyse your games and provide replays asking for help.
geiko.813 (EU)
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 13 2011 16:50 GMT
#5253
On July 14 2011 01:42 Geiko wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 14 2011 00:53 galtdunn wrote:
I was thinking aboout making a post about how i've never tried to master one single strategy or style.

I am a diamond zerg (haven't played much since I got promoted about a month ago due to work/school), but I started out as silver Soon after SC2 was released.

I'm planning on showing some various replays and talking about practicing and stuff.
I almost never go for a specific "build order" (obviously i go the standard 14/14 openers, 15 hatch, etc), but beyond that I rarely have a game plan.

Would this be a viable/good post? What would I have to do to make it so? and where would i post it? (i'm almost thinking as a [L] post on strat forum...)

P.S. i am thinking about asking for people to review the games as well and just provide possible pointers, etc (if i do this i will definitely be analyzing my games in the thread, so don't worry about me just trolling for help). Should that be part of the same thread or a different thread?


I'm pretty sure telling people not to have a game plan is bad advice. Anyone can get to any league by just "winging it", but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I misunderstood you message, and you want to create a thread asking for advice, then yes, it's a good idea to analyse your games and provide replays asking for help.


Well I wouldn't necessarily be advocating it, probably just discussing its strengths and weaknesses (at least in lower leagues, obviously having a build in mind is a good idea).

I'll probably create a thread asking for advice just because I love other people's input. Being self-critical is useful but it's nowhere near as interesting as getting outside commetary on your own play.

Then again, I'm sure I''m not the opnly person in diamond/plat with no gameplan. I guess getting to diamond isn't what it used to be. It's probably a bad idea that will just get shot down.

Anyways thanks for the reply.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
July 13 2011 16:54 GMT
#5254
On July 13 2011 23:42 Tommylew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 23:28 Tryxtira wrote:
On July 13 2011 23:04 Numy wrote:
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


This isn't a balance thread. You can complain about balance and make your suggestions elsewhere.


On July 13 2011 22:39 Tommylew wrote:
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?


Do you mean a 1 base all in type dt rush or do you mean a dt expand type thing? If it's the latter then warp them in to defend. I believe MC at last MLG showcased this. Otherwise I don't know you most likely lost.


You haven't lost, definitely not, you can use your dts to defend, best-case-scenario with still having one in his base since you'll most likely lose some probes. Is it an extremely early, say 7-roaches-push? In that case you're in a tougher spot, but you should be able to get out some dts to defend I believe...


I think ill just have to keep trying and see what I come up to, like mayb get a sentry earlier to delay a lot longer, problem was i lost pylons and had to pull probes twhile my darkshrine finished and I got dt's out. Probably should only do this vs a expansion zerg now and switch to eithier 4 gate or 3 gate robo if I dont see an expansion from the zerg. Suppose only way to learn what it works vs and doesnt work vs is by trying.Problem is ive learnt how to do sentry expand by doing it lots and now im working on learning a few more buillds to try get into masters wihtout doing the same strategy in each matchup.


Absolutely, what you could definitely try as well, is that while your Twilight Council finishes up, if you do not see an expansion by then, you go for blink stalkers and then 3gate blinkstalker pressure into expand. Even if he gets a delayed expansion, or even stops your scouting, this will be a solid way to not get too far behind. If you see an expansion, your DTs will be up before any roach-all-in he throws at you and you will be reasonably safe. I feel that will be a much more solid build than blindly going for DTs and risking these problems. I doubt you would wanna go for another early sentry though since 100 gas is a lot and will delay your tech immensely!

I really like blink stalkers early on as I think it is extremely good micro training! Perfectly executed and it's insanely hard to stop unless he's gone for some superfast infestors.
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
July 13 2011 17:02 GMT
#5255
On July 14 2011 01:50 galtdunn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 01:42 Geiko wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 14 2011 00:53 galtdunn wrote:
I was thinking aboout making a post about how i've never tried to master one single strategy or style.

I am a diamond zerg (haven't played much since I got promoted about a month ago due to work/school), but I started out as silver Soon after SC2 was released.

I'm planning on showing some various replays and talking about practicing and stuff.
I almost never go for a specific "build order" (obviously i go the standard 14/14 openers, 15 hatch, etc), but beyond that I rarely have a game plan.

Would this be a viable/good post? What would I have to do to make it so? and where would i post it? (i'm almost thinking as a [L] post on strat forum...)

P.S. i am thinking about asking for people to review the games as well and just provide possible pointers, etc (if i do this i will definitely be analyzing my games in the thread, so don't worry about me just trolling for help). Should that be part of the same thread or a different thread?


I'm pretty sure telling people not to have a game plan is bad advice. Anyone can get to any league by just "winging it", but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I misunderstood you message, and you want to create a thread asking for advice, then yes, it's a good idea to analyse your games and provide replays asking for help.


Well I wouldn't necessarily be advocating it, probably just discussing its strengths and weaknesses (at least in lower leagues, obviously having a build in mind is a good idea).

I'll probably create a thread asking for advice just because I love other people's input. Being self-critical is useful but it's nowhere near as interesting as getting outside commetary on your own play.

Then again, I'm sure I''m not the opnly person in diamond/plat with no gameplan. I guess getting to diamond isn't what it used to be. It's probably a bad idea that will just get shot down.

Anyways thanks for the reply.


I just wanna make some stuff clear. To start with, as a Zerg not having a specific build order in mind if most of the times just fine, because Zerg works differently than the other races. You kind of want to drone your brains out as long as it doesn't kill you. However, you should definitely have a "gameplan". You should have some kind of idea that can be very general, it could be, "I want to scout him a lot, and respond to A with B and respond to X with Y. You could also have a gameplan that consists of making it alive into mid-game and then make a strong push from three bases.

The reason why these idea of general gameplans is brilliant is because it makes you have a clear goal that you're aiming for. This makes your play a lot more focused and won't allow for as many indecisive situations.

To actually respond to whether it's a good idea to make a thread about it, why not? I agree with you that a lot of Plat/Diamond players enter games with no gameplans so why not make a thread to discuss it's pros and cons. I'm not all-knowing and even though I think that the general response will favor having a gameplan, it's always great to see different perspectives of things!
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
July 13 2011 17:17 GMT
#5256
On July 13 2011 23:42 Tommylew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2011 23:28 Tryxtira wrote:
On July 13 2011 23:04 Numy wrote:
On July 13 2011 23:01 Am0n3r wrote:
Was it ever considered to have ghosts have 2 different EMPs, one to remove only shields and one to remove energy. It just seems that in PvT, one EMP can reduce both shields and energy and completely change any outcome of the battle.


This isn't a balance thread. You can complain about balance and make your suggestions elsewhere.


On July 13 2011 22:39 Tommylew wrote:
if ive commited to doing a dt rush and the zerg attacks with a early roach push what do u reckon would be the best way to deal? or have i already lost? should I warp in dt's on the proxy or in base to try and defend when the roaches are in my base?

EDIT: It was also on a smaller map, should you really only do this strategy on large maps? less likely to be scouted and less chance of a rush?


Do you mean a 1 base all in type dt rush or do you mean a dt expand type thing? If it's the latter then warp them in to defend. I believe MC at last MLG showcased this. Otherwise I don't know you most likely lost.


You haven't lost, definitely not, you can use your dts to defend, best-case-scenario with still having one in his base since you'll most likely lose some probes. Is it an extremely early, say 7-roaches-push? In that case you're in a tougher spot, but you should be able to get out some dts to defend I believe...


I think ill just have to keep trying and see what I come up to, like mayb get a sentry earlier to delay a lot longer, problem was i lost pylons and had to pull probes twhile my darkshrine finished and I got dt's out. Probably should only do this vs a expansion zerg now and switch to eithier 4 gate or 3 gate robo if I dont see an expansion from the zerg. Suppose only way to learn what it works vs and doesnt work vs is by trying.Problem is ive learnt how to do sentry expand by doing it lots and now im working on learning a few more buillds to try get into masters wihtout doing the same strategy in each matchup.

Here are some comments about DTs that may help you in PvZ:
If you've no proxy pylon, you can warp in up to 2 sentries as long as you've already placed your shrine. From the time your shrine is placed to the time it finishes you will get around 325 gas if you are on 2 geysers. If you think you can hold out until the shrine finishes, warp in zeals to mess around and make sure your WGs are available when shrine finishes. For every sentry you warp in, you lose a dark templar (this is all post shrine placement). If you need 3 sentries, you can do it, but your shrine will pop with a slight delay on warping in a lone DT.

IF you have a proxy pylon, I usually warp in 2 at home and 1 at proxy. The reasons for this are:
You need to clear your base faster than you clear his base because he is probably up significantly on macro compared to you and you can't suffer too much damage, but 1 DT in his base will force multitasking and will do damage, shift click the workers because the DT will typically chase the queen around if he's not being babysat.

Basically you shouldn't spend gas until your shrine is placed, if you do DTs are delayed. Once you place your shrine, if you are properly saturated you will get about 900-1000 minerals to work with before it is finished, but only about 325-350 gas, therefore, any stalkers or sentries built will cut into DT count when shrine is done.
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-13 17:22:43
July 13 2011 17:20 GMT
#5257
I just wanna make some stuff clear. To start with, as a Zerg not having a specific build order in mind if most of the times just fine, because Zerg works differently than the other races. You kind of want to drone your brains out as long as it doesn't kill you. However, you should definitely have a "gameplan". You should have some kind of idea that can be very general, it could be, "I want to scout him a lot, and respond to A with B and respond to X with Y. You could also have a gameplan that consists of making it alive into mid-game and then make a strong push from three bases.

The reason why these idea of general gameplans is brilliant is because it makes you have a clear goal that you're aiming for. This makes your play a lot more focused and won't allow for as many indecisive situations.

To actually respond to whether it's a good idea to make a thread about it, why not? I agree with you that a lot of Plat/Diamond players enter games with no gameplans so why not make a thread to discuss it's pros and cons. I'm not all-knowing and even though I think that the general response will favor having a gameplan, it's always great to see different perspectives of things!




Oh thanks
Good point. What kind of thread would that be then, a [D]?
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-13 17:54:51
July 13 2011 17:52 GMT
#5258
On July 14 2011 02:20 galtdunn wrote:
Show nested quote +
I just wanna make some stuff clear. To start with, as a Zerg not having a specific build order in mind if most of the times just fine, because Zerg works differently than the other races. You kind of want to drone your brains out as long as it doesn't kill you. However, you should definitely have a "gameplan". You should have some kind of idea that can be very general, it could be, "I want to scout him a lot, and respond to A with B and respond to X with Y. You could also have a gameplan that consists of making it alive into mid-game and then make a strong push from three bases.

The reason why these idea of general gameplans is brilliant is because it makes you have a clear goal that you're aiming for. This makes your play a lot more focused and won't allow for as many indecisive situations.

To actually respond to whether it's a good idea to make a thread about it, why not? I agree with you that a lot of Plat/Diamond players enter games with no gameplans so why not make a thread to discuss it's pros and cons. I'm not all-knowing and even though I think that the general response will favor having a gameplan, it's always great to see different perspectives of things!




Oh thanks
Good point. What kind of thread would that be then, a [D]?


Indeed a [D] (Discussion) Thread. A great tip is also to think twice about the topic. You want it to be as clear as possible for people to click it. In the OP you should also be very specific about what you want the thread to be about, make clear that you do know that the general thesis is that you need a gameplan but that you're interested in discussing the positive sides of not having one The better the OP the better the thread and discussion will be!

Read through this post to get an idea about how a good thread looks!
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
July 13 2011 17:58 GMT
#5259
On July 14 2011 02:52 Tryxtira wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 02:20 galtdunn wrote:
I just wanna make some stuff clear. To start with, as a Zerg not having a specific build order in mind if most of the times just fine, because Zerg works differently than the other races. You kind of want to drone your brains out as long as it doesn't kill you. However, you should definitely have a "gameplan". You should have some kind of idea that can be very general, it could be, "I want to scout him a lot, and respond to A with B and respond to X with Y. You could also have a gameplan that consists of making it alive into mid-game and then make a strong push from three bases.

The reason why these idea of general gameplans is brilliant is because it makes you have a clear goal that you're aiming for. This makes your play a lot more focused and won't allow for as many indecisive situations.

To actually respond to whether it's a good idea to make a thread about it, why not? I agree with you that a lot of Plat/Diamond players enter games with no gameplans so why not make a thread to discuss it's pros and cons. I'm not all-knowing and even though I think that the general response will favor having a gameplan, it's always great to see different perspectives of things!




Oh thanks
Good point. What kind of thread would that be then, a [D]?


Indeed a [D] (Discussion) Thread. A great tip is also to think twice about the topic. You want it to be as clear as possible for people to click it. In the OP you should also be very specific about what you want the thread to be about, make clear that you do know that the general thesis is that you need a gameplan but that you're interested in discussing the positive sides of not having one The better the OP the better the thread and discussion will be!

Read through this post to get an idea about how a good thread looks!


I actually had that open before i posted on here
Thanks for all the great feedback tho Tryxtira
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 13 2011 18:08 GMT
#5260
On July 14 2011 02:58 galtdunn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2011 02:52 Tryxtira wrote:
On July 14 2011 02:20 galtdunn wrote:
I just wanna make some stuff clear. To start with, as a Zerg not having a specific build order in mind if most of the times just fine, because Zerg works differently than the other races. You kind of want to drone your brains out as long as it doesn't kill you. However, you should definitely have a "gameplan". You should have some kind of idea that can be very general, it could be, "I want to scout him a lot, and respond to A with B and respond to X with Y. You could also have a gameplan that consists of making it alive into mid-game and then make a strong push from three bases.

The reason why these idea of general gameplans is brilliant is because it makes you have a clear goal that you're aiming for. This makes your play a lot more focused and won't allow for as many indecisive situations.

To actually respond to whether it's a good idea to make a thread about it, why not? I agree with you that a lot of Plat/Diamond players enter games with no gameplans so why not make a thread to discuss it's pros and cons. I'm not all-knowing and even though I think that the general response will favor having a gameplan, it's always great to see different perspectives of things!




Oh thanks
Good point. What kind of thread would that be then, a [D]?


Indeed a [D] (Discussion) Thread. A great tip is also to think twice about the topic. You want it to be as clear as possible for people to click it. In the OP you should also be very specific about what you want the thread to be about, make clear that you do know that the general thesis is that you need a gameplan but that you're interested in discussing the positive sides of not having one The better the OP the better the thread and discussion will be!

Read through this post to get an idea about how a good thread looks!


I actually had that open before i posted on here
Thanks for all the great feedback tho Tryxtira


I would really like to warn you about making threads that go against the general consensus. You have to be really careful because you get immediately flammed for saying something like "having a game plan isn't always a good thing".

My advice to you would be to take it from another angle. Maybe present your ideas through a different problematic such as "Why it is more important to be reactive than to stick with a precise build order".
geiko.813 (EU)
Prev 1 261 262 263 264 265 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 221
ProTech147
BRAT_OK 54
JuggernautJason36
MindelVK 29
CosmosSc2 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21891
Shuttle 691
White-Ra 139
Hyuk 126
Dewaltoss 104
firebathero 72
Trap 47
ToSsGirL 28
Sacsri 22
Rock 17
[ Show more ]
Bale 16
Dota 2
Gorgc9885
qojqva1482
Counter-Strike
fl0m1515
Fnx 838
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King100
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2872
Khaldor1216
crisheroes1149
Liquid`Hasu517
Other Games
summit1g4649
FrodaN1582
Beastyqt451
XBOCT259
C9.Mang0185
ArmadaUGS175
QueenE79
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH342
• StrangeGG 74
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie877
• Shiphtur261
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 58m
CranKy Ducklings
14h 58m
Online Event
15h 58m
FEL
20h 58m
AI Arena Tournament
21h 58m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 58m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.