• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:28
CEST 11:28
KST 18:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11376 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 257

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 255 256 257 258 259 900 Next
Galbwe
Profile Joined June 2011
United States13 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-11 02:49:31
July 11 2011 02:49 GMT
#5121
In ZvT, what is the fastest way to get mutalisks for harass off of 2 bases while staying relatively safe?
"I believe time wounds all heels" ~ John Lennon
Allred
Profile Joined November 2010
United States352 Posts
July 11 2011 03:47 GMT
#5122
i was hoping someone with experience could answer this question for me, i play protoss and have been struggling in pvt lately, specifically when they go like 3 stargate play, off 2 bases and turrets to deny observer scouting, my normal build is usually either 16 nexus or 1 gate expand except on certain maps usually i get 3 or 4 gates then a robo for the observer. the problem i have is that they will get like 10 vikings to go with the banshees and spread them out and scan and kill the observer and then with cloak there is nothing i can do. i realise i should probably create a thread on it since i couldn't find one using the search feature, i am not even sure if that terran build has a name. i normally come across it on maps like shakuras plateau. has anyone had any luck? i have tried double stargate when i scout the turrets going up everywhere, but i never have enough pheonix to kill the vikings, hi templar i never have enough to feedback which doesn't even kill the banshees always and not enough evergy for storm, i am sort of at a loss of a correct response...
An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault. ~William Castle
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
July 11 2011 04:48 GMT
#5123
Why do so many pro protoss players use their 30~ supply pylon for their low ground wall after a 3-gate expo? It feels like it just makes you go below your ramp before you really have to since it finishes a fair bit before the nexus goes up.

I'm figuring it's because then you have the pylon done when you start the nexus and you can start walling with forge/gates asap but I dont know. >_>
Pablito8
Profile Joined April 2011
6 Posts
July 11 2011 05:00 GMT
#5124
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams
Mikelius
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany517 Posts
July 11 2011 05:47 GMT
#5125
On July 11 2011 14:00 Pablito8 wrote:
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams

They are completely independent AFAIK
Less QQ, more PewPew
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
July 11 2011 07:44 GMT
#5126
On July 11 2011 14:00 Pablito8 wrote:
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams

They are independent of one another. And your MMR for each team you are in is also independent, so you can have a diamond 2v2 team and a bronze 2v2 team with a different partner, and they won't affect each other.
The frumious Bandersnatch
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-11 07:45:24
July 11 2011 07:44 GMT
#5127
On July 11 2011 14:47 Mikelius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2011 14:00 Pablito8 wrote:
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams

They are completely independent AFAIK

I really doubt that.

edit: then how exactly did minigun and destiny go 2-3 (or something like that) in their 5 placements for 2v2 and still get placed into masters? they even said it on stream themselves, paraphrasing: "even though we're gonna lose this we'll probably get put in masters 2v2 because of our mmr".
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
July 11 2011 09:59 GMT
#5128
On July 11 2011 16:44 tuestresfat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2011 14:47 Mikelius wrote:
On July 11 2011 14:00 Pablito8 wrote:
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams

They are completely independent AFAIK

I really doubt that.

edit: then how exactly did minigun and destiny go 2-3 (or something like that) in their 5 placements for 2v2 and still get placed into masters? they even said it on stream themselves, paraphrasing: "even though we're gonna lose this we'll probably get put in masters 2v2 because of our mmr".

It's possible (I think I've read that it's the case) that your MMR is a factor in determining your opponents in your placement matches.

You win two games against low masters, and lose three against high masters. Congratulations, you've gone 2-3 in your placement matches and are placed mid-masters.
The frumious Bandersnatch
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
July 11 2011 10:53 GMT
#5129
On July 11 2011 16:44 tuestresfat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2011 14:47 Mikelius wrote:
On July 11 2011 14:00 Pablito8 wrote:
does my low team mmr affect my 1v1 mmr?

im plat/diamond in 1v1 but i have a lot of silver teams

They are completely independent AFAIK

I really doubt that.

edit: then how exactly did minigun and destiny go 2-3 (or something like that) in their 5 placements for 2v2 and still get placed into masters? they even said it on stream themselves, paraphrasing: "even though we're gonna lose this we'll probably get put in masters 2v2 because of our mmr".


MMR from different leagues have an influence on your initial MMR (placement matches).

Your results in the different leagues however have no influence on your 1vs1 MMR and vice versa.
geiko.813 (EU)
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
July 11 2011 15:08 GMT
#5130
Hi, I'm wondering:

Many many zergs and protosses are saying that if you can deny/kill zerg's FE, it's an out and out win for protoss. If my opponent doesn't straight up gg when this occurs, how do I turn my advantage into a game winning scenario? I can't find any pro replays of this, since zergs always quit =(, and I'm not quite sure how to secure my lead/"finish" the game. Do I 4 gate? Do I take my own expansion? (this feels risky) What do I do?
To3-Knee
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada100 Posts
July 11 2011 15:25 GMT
#5131
On July 12 2011 00:08 Selkie wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering:

Many many zergs and protosses are saying that if you can deny/kill zerg's FE, it's an out and out win for protoss. If my opponent doesn't straight up gg when this occurs, how do I turn my advantage into a game winning scenario? I can't find any pro replays of this, since zergs always quit =(, and I'm not quite sure how to secure my lead/"finish" the game. Do I 4 gate? Do I take my own expansion? (this feels risky) What do I do?


If you contain zerg on 1 base, I would just stay on one base and tech up. If you take down an expo or deal significant damage to the zerg that you aren't afraid of any 1 base aggression, you can expand and win later. I wouldn't do a 4 gate as it will be delayed as well.
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-11 15:29:36
July 11 2011 15:29 GMT
#5132
why does everyone go brood lord in late game zvz? it seems nonsensical to me, since you need a massive gas advantage to make it work, and lacking that I just need to match your corruptor numbers to make all your brood lords gas wasted... yet even pros go for it. why?
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
July 11 2011 15:33 GMT
#5133
On July 12 2011 00:08 Selkie wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering:

Many many zergs and protosses are saying that if you can deny/kill zerg's FE, it's an out and out win for protoss. If my opponent doesn't straight up gg when this occurs, how do I turn my advantage into a game winning scenario? I can't find any pro replays of this, since zergs always quit =(, and I'm not quite sure how to secure my lead/"finish" the game. Do I 4 gate? Do I take my own expansion? (this feels risky) What do I do?


A good way to finish the game is to go 1 base blink stalkers. its very hard for zerg to secure an expansion with 1 hatch larva against that.
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
July 11 2011 15:40 GMT
#5134
When should I start to use map specific builds?

I'm currently high plat, I was diamond last season got demoted after a two month break, and didnt manage to make it back before the ladder lock.

So far I stuck to the good ole 1 build per matchup in order to practice mechanics and stuff, But as I climb back up again some weaknesses start to show. 11/12 rax TvZ on Tal'darim cross position, isn't that effective, same for say, 2rax pressure TvP on Shakuras.

So yeah, at high plat/low diamond is it worth it to start learning more builds depending on the maps (mostly 1rax gasless FE) or should I just stick to what I know until later?

I would personally lend towards the "stick to what i know" but i dont know if I'm underestimating the benefit of using builds adapted to the maps.

For reference, I use those builds :
TvZ: 11/12 Rax > Expand
TvP: 2 Rax (reactor first) Pressure > Expand
TvT: 1/1/1 Cloak Banshees

Romanes eunt domus
Absentia
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom973 Posts
July 11 2011 16:50 GMT
#5135
Zerg vs Terran
Given the popularity of heavy drop play following MMA's run at MLG, i'm wondering about optimal building placements in order to minimize drop damage potential.
For example, I will usually place my spire and spawning pool behind the mineral line, (mainly from just habit). However, doing this enables a good terran to get much more out of a drop as lings can't get any kind of surround.
In short, would I be better leaving behind my mineral line devoid of buildings, or is there greater benefit leaving them there, (to block hellions for example)?
blagoonga123
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2068 Posts
July 11 2011 17:45 GMT
#5136
I think i remember hearing that the new season is starting next week..

Does that mean leagues are now locked out and there's no reason for me to try to get to master?
FOOL! Pain is my friend! Now let me introduce you to it!
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
July 11 2011 17:48 GMT
#5137
On July 12 2011 02:45 blagoonga123 wrote:
I think i remember hearing that the new season is starting next week..

Does that mean leagues are now locked out and there's no reason for me to try to get to master?


Leagues are locked but you can still make it into masters now. You just won't get promoted till next season. So keep going.
Sporadic44
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States533 Posts
July 11 2011 18:00 GMT
#5138
On July 12 2011 01:50 Absentia wrote:
Zerg vs Terran
Given the popularity of heavy drop play following MMA's run at MLG, i'm wondering about optimal building placements in order to minimize drop damage potential.
For example, I will usually place my spire and spawning pool behind the mineral line, (mainly from just habit). However, doing this enables a good terran to get much more out of a drop as lings can't get any kind of surround.
In short, would I be better leaving behind my mineral line devoid of buildings, or is there greater benefit leaving them there, (to block hellions for example)?


there's a million different ways to discuss this topic. Put simply it shouldnt be a big deal so long as you react to the drop properly. keep in mind the terrans forces must also navigate those buildings. I usually place my pool between my minerals and extractor, or on the outer part of my extractor away from the minerals. I'll put my evo chambers in front of my hatch along with my infestation pit.

If you're worried about your spire getting sniped you can put it closer to your natural's ramp, assuming you connect your hatches with creep tumors. A few spines in the main can do wonders late game.
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
July 11 2011 18:02 GMT
#5139
On July 11 2011 13:48 Bibbit wrote:
Why do so many pro protoss players use their 30~ supply pylon for their low ground wall after a 3-gate expo? It feels like it just makes you go below your ramp before you really have to since it finishes a fair bit before the nexus goes up.

I'm figuring it's because then you have the pylon done when you start the nexus and you can start walling with forge/gates asap but I dont know. >_>

It lessens the choke up your ramp.

Advantages:
  • More likely to place a FF in the split of a second blocking the whole entrance.
  • Allows you to block the bottom of your ramp with a variety of different unit "sim-cities". For example you can place a probe in front of two sentries, which is very annoying for Zerglings since they try to ignore the probe. You can block your choke with just 2 units and chase around a stray ling near your Nexus.
  • Easier time warping in units on low ground.
  • Faster way to set up a sim-city at your Nexus.

The disadvantages would include a more slightly more exposed Pylon, and a slight inclination that you are going to FE (though you can fake the pylon on low ground and 4 gate).

Basically it's a very low-risk move that gives you some nice advantages.
Trepp
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada3 Posts
July 11 2011 19:07 GMT
#5140
Hello everyone, I have what is probably the most retarded question ever asked here. In build order posts when it says to build a Supply Depot at 10, does it mean to build it when the top right supply count reads 10 (which means the 10th worker has started building), or when it actually exits the Command Center??

**I'm 99% sure that a building SCV is counted in the supply count, but disregard my post if that isn't the case. I'm at work and I can't check**

Thanks!
Trololol
Prev 1 255 256 257 258 259 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech45
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 622
Hyuk 320
910 319
Soma 305
Horang2 230
BeSt 199
Light 198
Dewaltoss 79
EffOrt 67
Pusan 55
[ Show more ]
Killer 53
Shinee 49
Yoon 45
Mong 38
Mind 31
NotJumperer 30
ZerO 29
Bale 27
sorry 23
ZergMaN 19
yabsab 18
Rush 15
Sharp 10
Noble 9
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe260
League of Legends
JimRising 412
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1352
pashabiceps296
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2710
Khaldor588
Other Games
gofns27272
singsing1301
ceh9641
XBOCT328
Pyrionflax121
Mew2King114
DeMusliM80
ArmadaUGS42
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick633
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream271
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH218
• LUISG 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2263
League of Legends
• Jankos1229
• Stunt457
Other Games
• WagamamaTV148
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 32m
Stellar Fest
3h 32m
The PondCast
1d
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.