• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:52
CEST 15:52
KST 22:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7069 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 243

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 241 242 243 244 245 900 Next
8D
Profile Joined June 2011
66 Posts
July 03 2011 16:45 GMT
#4841
On July 03 2011 14:49 ptrpb wrote:
I tried looking through about 8 pages backwards, I'm sure this question gets asked a lot so I'm very sorry if the answer is obvious and I am plain dumb.
I'm a Silver league Protoss looking to learn a strong and flexible ZvP build that I can use for most games until I improve my mechanics and game sense. I am currently using a defensive 3 gate expand with mass sentry, but it seems to be failing against mass ling because I FF like a baboon. Is there something more simplistic, or do I have to result to timing attacks and all-ins?
Thank you whoever answers this!

If you're having trouble with force fields, that is definatly something you want to improve, watch Huks force fields if you don't beleive me, they win games. But there is a really cool custom game that allows you to practice your force field micro. Search force field challenge in customs games to check it out. Also check out ForceSc2Strategy they did a really cool video on ForceFields. http://www.youtube.com/user/ForceSC2strategy?blend=1&ob=5#p/c/D481E0C4D4184836/9/XZkbP0Deqxw
release the gracken
Yozora
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland65 Posts
July 03 2011 17:36 GMT
#4842
Hey, l changed from Terran to Protoss today and l have played like 15 games on diamond rank and obviously lost them all.

I would like to ask some pointers how to learn protoss. I know some builds vs different races, but they arent so strict. Like 3Gate sentry expand vs zerg, 3 gate fe vs terran and 3 gate robo vs Protoss.

Like l play them, but l dont really know the builds more than the basics to like 20 supply.

Now l'm asking which is the fastest and the most effective way to learn the Protoss? Just massing ladder games without knowing the strict build orders feels kind of not worth it in the long run..

Thank you!
Everyone lies
audeamus
Profile Joined December 2010
15 Posts
July 03 2011 20:37 GMT
#4843
If in TvP I open 15 OC while building one marine and putting a reactor on my first barracks while building a second barracks and a tech lab, am I supposed to be able to beat a stalker/zealot poke? I am unsure if my timings or off or if I am just screwing up my micro.
BandonBanshee
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada437 Posts
July 04 2011 00:15 GMT
#4844
If a terran is 2raxing me what is the ratio of lings to marines I should have.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-04 00:33:28
July 04 2011 00:31 GMT
#4845
On July 04 2011 09:15 BandonBanshee wrote:
If a terran is 2raxing me what is the ratio of lings to marines I should have.

Enough. There is no solid ratio, but there are certain rules to remember that I go by:
Pull 8 drones right off the bat, if your opponent isn't committing much to the pressure then you may have only needed 4-6 but it is worth it to be safe, as you will pretty much always see a marine and an scv, but you will never see your opponent's mindset, and you will simply transfer the drones to your natural.
If your has 2 scvs heading toward your natural, start a spine crawler. Seeing more than just the scout scv means your opponent will commit to the bunker, instead of just faking it.
If your opponent continues rallying marines after the initial deflection, make 8 lings as soon as the pool finishes. Again, you may not need this many in some cases but the fact is you're sitting on 2 hatches worth of larva, so you may be behind economically during the pressure but you will spring back up with a drone pump as soon as it is done.
From here, you basically just add lings until the terran pulls out, or you clean everything up.

Note: everything mentioned above is defending from a hatch-first build. As surprising as it may be, hatch first deals with 2rax just as well, if not better, than a pool or gas first because of having creep at the expo faster, as well as extra larva.

edit: I guess a direct answer to your question would be above 2:1, even just one ling above 2:1 should be safe as long as you keep your opponent close to your spine crawler.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
July 04 2011 01:38 GMT
#4846
Why do protosses never get the shield upgrades?
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
Philip2110
Profile Joined April 2010
Scotland798 Posts
July 04 2011 01:40 GMT
#4847
On July 04 2011 10:38 Dalguno wrote:
Why do protosses never get the shield upgrades?


More expensive than attack/armour. Its alot better getting +2 to +3 armour than +0 to +1 shields. Most Protoss wont touch shields untill they are 3-3 attack/armour
Master Sc2 - Diamond LoL - Eu W
MaxField
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2386 Posts
July 04 2011 01:49 GMT
#4848
Some do prefer to get shield first, but that is usually for shield heavy units, or i could see it good for blink stalkers.
"Zerg, so bad it loses to hydras" IdrA.
Philip2110
Profile Joined April 2010
Scotland798 Posts
July 04 2011 02:09 GMT
#4849
On July 04 2011 10:49 MaxField wrote:
Some do prefer to get shield first, but that is usually for shield heavy units, or i could see it good for blink stalkers.


The idea with stalkers is to do damage and just let shields recharge when they are down. Weapon upgrades are better if you can blink well
Master Sc2 - Diamond LoL - Eu W
Go1den
Profile Joined June 2011
England116 Posts
July 04 2011 02:15 GMT
#4850
Best unit composition/reaction to seeing a 4rax from a Terran (i.e. he's going to hit early with MM having concussive and stimpack)? I can be up 5 units on this push and still get destroyed.
Quochobao
Profile Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
July 04 2011 02:25 GMT
#4851
On July 04 2011 11:15 TheGoldenShow wrote:
Best unit composition/reaction to seeing a 4rax from a Terran (i.e. he's going to hit early with MM having concussive and stimpack)? I can be up 5 units on this push and still get destroyed.


If Terran does not have medivac, you can fight with gateways units alone, mostly zealot and sentry. Forcefield behind them, and let zealot go to town.

Indeed, 2 stalkers = 2 zealot + 1 sentry, whereas the later gives you much heavier punch.

If you do have more units than him but still lose, please post a replay.
Best or nothing.
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
July 04 2011 03:58 GMT
#4852
There needs to be a way to compile this so that the search function can be used. Maybe create an external doc and copy/paste/sort? I'd be down if anyone wanted to do it with me D=

I play Terran, and my question is, why do zergs whine about imbalance on close pos metal, but not on close pos shattered? I play against a lot of 1 base baneling busts and things of the sort on metal, and have played none on shattered. The rush distances seem nearly identical, naturals are both fairly wide. Securing 3rds are also far away.
PaleRider09
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States70 Posts
July 04 2011 03:58 GMT
#4853
How do I make an SCV stop working on a building? Like, have it build up to 10% and then leave it there.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 04 2011 04:23 GMT
#4854
On July 04 2011 12:58 PaleRider09 wrote:
How do I make an SCV stop working on a building? Like, have it build up to 10% and then leave it there.

Hit 'halt construction' when selecting the building scv. Standard hotkey is t, I believe.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 04 2011 04:25 GMT
#4855
On July 04 2011 12:58 phiinix wrote:
There needs to be a way to compile this so that the search function can be used. Maybe create an external doc and copy/paste/sort? I'd be down if anyone wanted to do it with me D=

I play Terran, and my question is, why do zergs whine about imbalance on close pos metal, but not on close pos shattered? I play against a lot of 1 base baneling busts and things of the sort on metal, and have played none on shattered. The rush distances seem nearly identical, naturals are both fairly wide. Securing 3rds are also far away.

Ummm...I think your working with false assumptions and bad statistics. Me and every other zerg I know feel like batting someone's kneecaps in every time we get close positions on either map. I guess it is just coincidence if you have never been busted on shattered.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
July 04 2011 05:18 GMT
#4856
Should I ever use roaches to hold early hellion pressure and if so when?
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 04 2011 05:44 GMT
#4857
On July 04 2011 14:18 AustinCM wrote:
Should I ever use roaches to hold early hellion pressure and if so when?

Copy pasted answer from a few pages back:


There are three things to guide whether to go for roaches or not:
1) Is the entry point of the hellions open?
2) Is he trying to kill you with them? Or simply trying to assert map control?
3) Do you want your third as the terran takes his/her natural?
The more 'yes' that is in the answers to questions 1, 3 and the first part of 2 is the more likelihood that you will need roaches. For example: On a map like shakuras where there is a double ramp outside your natural, you can basically wall it off with spines, evo chambers, and queens to defend so you will be 100% safe against harass that is not supported by a medivac. This will allow you to go strait for your spire without sacrificing any gas for anything, making your mid-game mutalisk force much more potent. However, say you are on metalopolis close air positions. This would mean that taking your third is going to be rather easy, so you will likely want to go for it before lair as your opponent is landing the orbital. This, combined with the open natural, means that you will need something that can zone territory better than spine crawlers and queens, and with the blue flame becoming ever so more popular a raw speedling defense will not be enough to cover 2 open bases.
More about the second point: basically if your opponent is just going for 4-6 hellions on one reactor-fact then delaying mutas for roaches is kind-of a waste. There are, however, some completely ridiculous 2fact builds that will pump a completely stupid number of hellions at you, in this case you are fine going with roaches because defending the attack without damage will put you ridiculously far ahead.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Gladiator6
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden7024 Posts
July 04 2011 12:47 GMT
#4858
Maybe silly question but yeah. Know when the ladder lock is 5th July I believe, will I still be able to play ladder and win for getting better portraits?
Flying, sOs, free, Light, Soulkey & ZerO
Timm
Profile Joined February 2011
34 Posts
July 04 2011 13:14 GMT
#4859
On July 04 2011 21:47 eYeball wrote:
Maybe silly question but yeah. Know when the ladder lock is 5th July I believe, will I still be able to play ladder and win for getting better portraits?


Yes, only promotion and demotion is locked.
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
July 04 2011 14:27 GMT
#4860
When you 2 rax pressure / expand in TvZ, how do you manage to not get your expand denied for ages by the zerg after the pressure has stopped? The zergs i play tend to overreact quite a lot to 2Rax and I end up not being able to move my OC out before having BFH or Siege mode, because of the high number of slings waiting outside.
Romanes eunt domus
Prev 1 241 242 243 244 245 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech133
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4422
Jaedong 2397
Leta 2249
Soulkey 1875
EffOrt 1036
Soma 643
Mini 452
Horang2 388
BeSt 314
Light 294
[ Show more ]
Rush 265
Stork 261
Larva 209
Snow 173
ggaemo 139
Killer 131
Pusan 127
Barracks 124
Zeus 113
hero 100
firebathero 94
JYJ 86
Mong 60
Sea.KH 58
Sharp 39
ToSsGirL 33
Aegong 29
Shinee 28
Bale 28
sorry 23
zelot 21
Sexy 19
Sacsri 10
Rock 9
Shine 9
JulyZerg 9
Terrorterran 8
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6476
qojqva1263
Dendi741
XaKoH 457
Counter-Strike
Fnx 553
kRYSTAL_276
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4213
Khaldor158
Other Games
gofns44799
singsing1662
olofmeister1268
B2W.Neo797
byalli551
Lowko385
Livibee195
DeMusliM195
mouzStarbuck172
Liquid`VortiX133
ArmadaUGS99
OGKoka 91
Chillindude13
Railgan10
amsayoshi0
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV403
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream185
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 24
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV359
League of Legends
• Jankos1779
• Nemesis1568
• TFBlade406
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
10h 8m
Kung Fu Cup
21h 8m
The PondCast
1d 20h
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.