• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:00
CEST 01:00
KST 08:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10395 users

[G] Speedray PvZ - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Horst
Profile Joined November 2010
338 Posts
December 20 2010 09:28 GMT
#81
The ground based builds described by plexa (IST composition, specifically) I still find to be much more... stable... than this build. Maybe its a lack of practice with this, but it just feels like its less gimmicky, and therefore harder for the zerg to deal with.
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-20 09:38:00
December 20 2010 09:34 GMT
#82
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
Praxis1452
Profile Joined August 2010
41 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-20 10:12:07
December 20 2010 10:11 GMT
#83
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
OK, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by Air.
2) P CANNOT Never scout a Zs gameplan until his First PhoeNix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for Hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, Speed overlords and 20 lings. At this Point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 Air units out (1 PhoeNix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with Hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit Into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your Natural.


Perhaps the build need to be slowed down a bit, but it's definitely viable. If zerg learns how to deal with it we'll see modifications.

I think you're way to negative on this one.
KevinIX
Profile Joined October 2009
United States2472 Posts
December 20 2010 11:54 GMT
#84
All those cannons definitely seem wasteful. Maybe a few less voids and a couple more zealot/stalkers would be ideal.
Liquid FIGHTING!!!
UFO
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
582 Posts
December 20 2010 14:01 GMT
#85
rofl. i guess i will switch to protoss because this is beyond ridicilous
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
December 20 2010 16:33 GMT
#86
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


Replay? I find it hard to believe a Zerg doing a standard opening can switch to a hydra drop that fast if they scout first before deciding.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 20 2010 16:59 GMT
#87
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


1) I don't understand what you're saying here. I can't make a stalker or sentry to prevent scouting, or hide my stargates or something?
2) My first stargate is done @ ~7mins, resulting in my first phoenix out a full minute earlier. I highly question your practice partners build order or macro.
3) No way you'll have 10 hydras at my doorstep at that time. Hydras are slow as molasses off creep. It'll take a while for hydras to truck it over to my base and if I scouted it I will have my defenses up. And no, I don't have to make 8 cannons "BLINDLY." Plus if you go double stargate into double robo you will have crazy excess minerals to dump regardless.

Also you need to stop theorycrafting. The protoss player will already have his deathball pushing out before you have the time to go lair -> OL speed -> OL drop.

And if you know your opponent is going FE into double stargate yes, fast hydra push is the best way to bust it w/o relying on luck like nydus. That's obvious. But don't act like there is no risk for the zerg player to cut econ and go fast hydras and push out when they could've easily gone 6 WG's. If they did it's instant loss for the zerg player since you won't be able to retreat with your slow off-creep hydras.

Now I don't actually follow the OP's unit composition as I don't make many initial voids and tech to colossus faster, as well as dump minerals into zealots. But the fact of the matter is FE is solid vs zerg on certain maps and it is wide open on what the protoss player transitions into. Double stargate opener is just one of those transitions, and it is very robust.
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
December 20 2010 21:15 GMT
#88
On December 21 2010 01:59 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


1) I don't understand what you're saying here. I can't make a stalker or sentry to prevent scouting, or hide my stargates or something?
2) My first stargate is done @ ~7mins, resulting in my first phoenix out a full minute earlier. I highly question your practice partners build order or macro.
3) No way you'll have 10 hydras at my doorstep at that time. Hydras are slow as molasses off creep. It'll take a while for hydras to truck it over to my base and if I scouted it I will have my defenses up. And no, I don't have to make 8 cannons "BLINDLY." Plus if you go double stargate into double robo you will have crazy excess minerals to dump regardless.

Also you need to stop theorycrafting. The protoss player will already have his deathball pushing out before you have the time to go lair -> OL speed -> OL drop.

And if you know your opponent is going FE into double stargate yes, fast hydra push is the best way to bust it w/o relying on luck like nydus. That's obvious. But don't act like there is no risk for the zerg player to cut econ and go fast hydras and push out when they could've easily gone 6 WG's. If they did it's instant loss for the zerg player since you won't be able to retreat with your slow off-creep hydras.

Now I don't actually follow the OP's unit composition as I don't make many initial voids and tech to colossus faster, as well as dump minerals into zealots. But the fact of the matter is FE is solid vs zerg on certain maps and it is wide open on what the protoss player transitions into. Double stargate opener is just one of those transitions, and it is very robust.


I was referring specifically to the OPs strategy and his replays. The way you play a 2 gate build off 2 base I cannot comment as I have no replays to look at.

There's no econ cutting. You go 2 fully saturated bases of hydras and just kill their shit because they have no way to stop the incoming stream of hydras at 9:00. Upload some of your replays and then I will comment on them as your post makes you seem like the theorycrafter.
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 20 2010 21:26 GMT
#89
On December 21 2010 06:15 ChickenLips wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 21 2010 01:59 Skyro wrote:
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


1) I don't understand what you're saying here. I can't make a stalker or sentry to prevent scouting, or hide my stargates or something?
2) My first stargate is done @ ~7mins, resulting in my first phoenix out a full minute earlier. I highly question your practice partners build order or macro.
3) No way you'll have 10 hydras at my doorstep at that time. Hydras are slow as molasses off creep. It'll take a while for hydras to truck it over to my base and if I scouted it I will have my defenses up. And no, I don't have to make 8 cannons "BLINDLY." Plus if you go double stargate into double robo you will have crazy excess minerals to dump regardless.

Also you need to stop theorycrafting. The protoss player will already have his deathball pushing out before you have the time to go lair -> OL speed -> OL drop.

And if you know your opponent is going FE into double stargate yes, fast hydra push is the best way to bust it w/o relying on luck like nydus. That's obvious. But don't act like there is no risk for the zerg player to cut econ and go fast hydras and push out when they could've easily gone 6 WG's. If they did it's instant loss for the zerg player since you won't be able to retreat with your slow off-creep hydras.

Now I don't actually follow the OP's unit composition as I don't make many initial voids and tech to colossus faster, as well as dump minerals into zealots. But the fact of the matter is FE is solid vs zerg on certain maps and it is wide open on what the protoss player transitions into. Double stargate opener is just one of those transitions, and it is very robust.


I was referring specifically to the OPs strategy and his replays. The way you play a 2 gate build off 2 base I cannot comment as I have no replays to look at.

There's no econ cutting. You go 2 fully saturated bases of hydras and just kill their shit because they have no way to stop the incoming stream of hydras at 9:00. Upload some of your replays and then I will comment on them as your post makes you seem like the theorycrafter.


No theorycraft, FE into double stargate into double robo is my standard build on LT, Scrap, Jungle, and Shakuras. I'm at work ATM but I don't know if I have a saved replay where they tech'ed straight to hydras since it is not a very popular ATM. I probably have a recent one vs roach or muta though since those are the most common responses to protoss FE. But I can assure your first stargate is done ~7mins if you FE correctly (double pylon).

Also FYI you can't "stream" hydras to my base. Phoenixes pick off hydras super fast if at anytime the phoenixes outnumber your hydras. You run this risk unless you keep your hydras protected in your base, which further delays the push.
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-20 21:59:16
December 20 2010 21:58 GMT
#90
On December 21 2010 06:26 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 21 2010 06:15 ChickenLips wrote:
On December 21 2010 01:59 Skyro wrote:
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


1) I don't understand what you're saying here. I can't make a stalker or sentry to prevent scouting, or hide my stargates or something?
2) My first stargate is done @ ~7mins, resulting in my first phoenix out a full minute earlier. I highly question your practice partners build order or macro.
3) No way you'll have 10 hydras at my doorstep at that time. Hydras are slow as molasses off creep. It'll take a while for hydras to truck it over to my base and if I scouted it I will have my defenses up. And no, I don't have to make 8 cannons "BLINDLY." Plus if you go double stargate into double robo you will have crazy excess minerals to dump regardless.

Also you need to stop theorycrafting. The protoss player will already have his deathball pushing out before you have the time to go lair -> OL speed -> OL drop.

And if you know your opponent is going FE into double stargate yes, fast hydra push is the best way to bust it w/o relying on luck like nydus. That's obvious. But don't act like there is no risk for the zerg player to cut econ and go fast hydras and push out when they could've easily gone 6 WG's. If they did it's instant loss for the zerg player since you won't be able to retreat with your slow off-creep hydras.

Now I don't actually follow the OP's unit composition as I don't make many initial voids and tech to colossus faster, as well as dump minerals into zealots. But the fact of the matter is FE is solid vs zerg on certain maps and it is wide open on what the protoss player transitions into. Double stargate opener is just one of those transitions, and it is very robust.


I was referring specifically to the OPs strategy and his replays. The way you play a 2 gate build off 2 base I cannot comment as I have no replays to look at.

There's no econ cutting. You go 2 fully saturated bases of hydras and just kill their shit because they have no way to stop the incoming stream of hydras at 9:00. Upload some of your replays and then I will comment on them as your post makes you seem like the theorycrafter.


No theorycraft, FE into double stargate into double robo is my standard build on LT, Scrap, Jungle, and Shakuras. I'm at work ATM but I don't know if I have a saved replay where they tech'ed straight to hydras since it is not a very popular ATM. I probably have a recent one vs roach or muta though since those are the most common responses to protoss FE. But I can assure your first stargate is done ~7mins if you FE correctly (double pylon).

Also FYI you can't "stream" hydras to my base. Phoenixes pick off hydras super fast if at anytime the phoenixes outnumber your hydras. You run this risk unless you keep your hydras protected in your base, which further delays the push.


I don't need a specific Z response, any replay will you do as you are essentially blind until your first phoenix reaches his base and your BO should essentially be the same provided the Z is 2 base.

If Phoenixes outnumber the Zs Hydras he is indeed doing something wrong. Looking forward to your replay though.
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-20 22:12:13
December 20 2010 22:01 GMT
#91
In my PvZ, I usually have 3 phoenixes out at 7:15...

EDIT: My bad, 3 phoenixes and a VR being cb'ed at 7:30, plus a few zealots, stalker, sentry.
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/116316-1v1-protoss-zerg-jungle-basin
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
ChickenLips
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
2912 Posts
December 20 2010 22:25 GMT
#92
On December 21 2010 07:01 tehemperorer wrote:
In my PvZ, I usually have 3 phoenixes out at 7:15...

EDIT: My bad, 3 phoenixes and a VR being cb'ed at 7:30, plus a few zealots, stalker, sentry.
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/116316-1v1-protoss-zerg-jungle-basin


thanks for posting a useless 1 base replay. This is imo even weaker than 2 base stargate play but has absolutely nothing to do with this build. please read the thread before you join a discussion
❤Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 20 2010 23:26 GMT
#93
On December 21 2010 06:58 ChickenLips wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 21 2010 06:26 Skyro wrote:
On December 21 2010 06:15 ChickenLips wrote:
On December 21 2010 01:59 Skyro wrote:
On December 20 2010 18:34 ChickenLips wrote:
Ok, i can save all you guys even contemplating this strategy.

1) Z can easily scout it and adapt his BO to his liking since you do not prevent Stargate scouting by air.
2) P CANNOT NEVER scout a Zs gameplan until his first phoenix is out (8:25).
3) Z goes for hydra/ling bust and hits at around 8:30-9:00 with 10 hydras, speed overlords and 20 lings. At this point Protoss has 3 cannons and 2 air units out (1 phoenix, 1 voidray)

instant loss every single time.

I have regularly beaten a practice partner with hydra busts when he went for 2 stargate openings and even crushed someone who did it to me on ladder. It's not viable, period.

To be safe against this kind of 2 base you have to put around 5-8 cannons at your front BLINDLY. Then Z comes 1 min later with OLs and drops all his shit into your main while you still have nothing more than a few stargate units and 8 cannons in your natural.


1) I don't understand what you're saying here. I can't make a stalker or sentry to prevent scouting, or hide my stargates or something?
2) My first stargate is done @ ~7mins, resulting in my first phoenix out a full minute earlier. I highly question your practice partners build order or macro.
3) No way you'll have 10 hydras at my doorstep at that time. Hydras are slow as molasses off creep. It'll take a while for hydras to truck it over to my base and if I scouted it I will have my defenses up. And no, I don't have to make 8 cannons "BLINDLY." Plus if you go double stargate into double robo you will have crazy excess minerals to dump regardless.

Also you need to stop theorycrafting. The protoss player will already have his deathball pushing out before you have the time to go lair -> OL speed -> OL drop.

And if you know your opponent is going FE into double stargate yes, fast hydra push is the best way to bust it w/o relying on luck like nydus. That's obvious. But don't act like there is no risk for the zerg player to cut econ and go fast hydras and push out when they could've easily gone 6 WG's. If they did it's instant loss for the zerg player since you won't be able to retreat with your slow off-creep hydras.

Now I don't actually follow the OP's unit composition as I don't make many initial voids and tech to colossus faster, as well as dump minerals into zealots. But the fact of the matter is FE is solid vs zerg on certain maps and it is wide open on what the protoss player transitions into. Double stargate opener is just one of those transitions, and it is very robust.


I was referring specifically to the OPs strategy and his replays. The way you play a 2 gate build off 2 base I cannot comment as I have no replays to look at.

There's no econ cutting. You go 2 fully saturated bases of hydras and just kill their shit because they have no way to stop the incoming stream of hydras at 9:00. Upload some of your replays and then I will comment on them as your post makes you seem like the theorycrafter.


No theorycraft, FE into double stargate into double robo is my standard build on LT, Scrap, Jungle, and Shakuras. I'm at work ATM but I don't know if I have a saved replay where they tech'ed straight to hydras since it is not a very popular ATM. I probably have a recent one vs roach or muta though since those are the most common responses to protoss FE. But I can assure your first stargate is done ~7mins if you FE correctly (double pylon).

Also FYI you can't "stream" hydras to my base. Phoenixes pick off hydras super fast if at anytime the phoenixes outnumber your hydras. You run this risk unless you keep your hydras protected in your base, which further delays the push.


I don't need a specific Z response, any replay will you do as you are essentially blind until your first phoenix reaches his base and your BO should essentially be the same provided the Z is 2 base.

If Phoenixes outnumber the Zs Hydras he is indeed doing something wrong. Looking forward to your replay though.


Hopefully I have something in my recent folder. If I do I will post when I get home. I just hope you realize that any opener you do after a FE is blind and the Phoenix is probably the quickest scout you can get (outside of chrono'ing hallucination out immediately). The zerg can be just as blind. What if your sac OLs don't scout the stargate(s)? You are essentially making a very squishy, very slow army. There's a reason why teching straight to hydras is not very popular in PvZ.

And the point about Phoenixes outnumbering hydras is that the protoss will initially have a number of phoenixes out while you are getting your hydra mass up. So lone/stray hydras can easily get picked off if you're not careful.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
December 20 2010 23:35 GMT
#94
I've been doing something very similar for a few days now. It works well vs most zergs because they're so so roach focused. I've met two zergs in the last two days that put down a third hatch and went for a speedling all in with a bunch of extra queens and it absolutely crushed me though.
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
December 20 2010 23:38 GMT
#95
On December 16 2010 16:51 JeanLuc wrote:
I watched one game and I kept thinking "corrupters"


Void rays eat corruptors...
the UMP says YER OUT
eth3n
Profile Joined August 2010
718 Posts
December 21 2010 00:19 GMT
#96
to be fair, hydra bust on most maps pretty much entails you are prepping for the creep highway, I know OLs are vulnerable, but this makes a HUGE difference on the attack timing
Idra Potter: I don't use avada kedavra because i have self-respect.
Geovu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Estonia1344 Posts
December 21 2010 00:38 GMT
#97
On December 20 2010 18:27 Vaporak wrote:
After seeing GuineaPig's games in the GSL and reading this thread I decided to give this strategy a go in my PvZ. So far I'm 4:3 W:L with it, but every time I've made it to the mid game I've won in a commanding fashion at ~2K diamond level. This strategy really lets you go toe to toe with a zerg in a pure macro game, I've just got to work on the early defense now really.

Lol when I saw GuineaPig's games I thought "omg does he read teamliquid?" xD
The transition into making a bunch of zealots along with the rest of your army seems really smart though. Really you can make as many cannons as you want but if you make zealots instead you can have a maxed out army MUCH faster and it is a lot stronger against hydras and just about anything because zealots can tank so much damage and after charge is researched they can even dish it out too.
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 21 2010 02:13 GMT
#98
Here is the only recent replay I have:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/118692-1v1-protoss-zerg-scrap-station

My stargate is a little bit late, but you can see the rough timing. My opponent is like a 2400-2500 rated zerg player, so mid-diamond. He has a weird reaction to my FE though, going for both spire and hydra den at the same time and not really focusing on his economy much.

You can see I scout the spire but not the den with my suicide probe, so I spend some time pumping phoenix a bit before transitioning into robo tech.

I pump out an initial void ray to deny any potential 3rd hatch but he didn't make a fast 3rd so it just became part of my army.

Like I said I deviate a lot from the OP's unit composition as I only really make multiple voids if corruptors come into play.

I've practiced many iterations of this FE into stargate opener and right now you seem to have to toss down 2 stargates in case of mutas, but with the patch with reduced phoenix build time I may be able to get away with 1 stargate but I will need to test it out.
Quixxotik
Profile Joined December 2010
United States54 Posts
December 21 2010 03:57 GMT
#99
Highlights from your game v allowicious : most of your battles up until the last battle you had significantly lower supply, yet you rolled over his maxed armies in air to air combat.

Also the part where he sent a changeling zealot in your base after having witnessed only Voidrays and Phoenixes up until that point XD.
SlimeBagly
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
356 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-21 04:54:12
December 21 2010 04:50 GMT
#100
I've been working on a pretty similar build. A couple of things I'm still refining:

When to get beacon and flux vanes (once I have 6ish)
when/how many phoenixes to mix in. (one early to scout, one now and then to find stray overloads. Only more if they REALLY are massing mutas)
double cybernetics core? ( I like it. You can use it to help wall off your third.)
When/why for getting mothership (MOTHERSHIPS ARE AWESOME!!!)
mutalisks are awesome!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE169
Nina 104
Nathanias 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14156
Artosis 535
White-Ra 255
ToSsGirL 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever391
NeuroSwarm141
League of Legends
Doublelift4308
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox997
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1869
Liquid`Hasu1377
Trikslyr69
Other Games
summit1g7440
Grubby3475
ArmadaUGS759
shahzam590
JimRising 339
C9.Mang0281
ZombieGrub60
Mew2King44
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
Other Games
gamesdonequick113
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 62
• davetesta40
• musti20045 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1207
• imaqtpie1059
• Shiphtur251
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 1m
OSC
14h 1m
Stellar Fest
14h 1m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.