• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:35
CEST 19:35
KST 02:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10539 users

TvP the new way! - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
SCling
Profile Joined October 2010
18 Posts
October 29 2010 20:18 GMT
#81
Plz add more replays. I really don't feel that the two given give a very good showing of this build. I'm not exactly sure of the versatility of the build of different maps, as the replay only shows caverns. Also, both P in the replays were extremely passive, maybe show that this build can hold off early aggression? Maybe against HT/air?
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
October 29 2010 21:25 GMT
#82
On October 30 2010 04:57 Zarahtra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 30 2010 04:08 tehemperorer wrote:
On October 30 2010 04:02 ensis wrote:
i dont understand how thors with range 10 and marines with dps of a ultralisk with range lose to air. especially not with the ray nerfed

Cause VRs don't come without Zeals and sentries, and Thors do bonus to light air, which VRs are not. The VRs outrange the marines, and the marines cannot stand toe to toe with the zealots, so they must stim n run kite, which actually makes it worse for them because the VRs pick them off easy.

On the other hand I'd assume when you get a ball of Thors, they become more effective whilst the VRs become less so, due to splash. So either the VRs are forced to somewhat spread out, making it easier for the rines to get in range of them or face splash, which given enough thors would hurt. I mean after patch, a VR kills a thor taking ~50 hull dmg, but if each thor hits at least 2 VRs, I'd assume they'd be pretty cost effective.

In any case, not opening robo is quite close to suicide vs a 1/1/1, so stargate play I'd assume is even more risky than this build might be.

Yeha it's not really hard to spread void rays out, but getting a ball of Thors we are now talking 2-3 basing and it's different from what the OP said about his build I think. 1/1/1 does very poorly against 3gate/Stargate, check my replays
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
October 29 2010 21:43 GMT
#83
I'm just not convinced that this build can beat mass collossi play. By the time you add vikings he can probably get blink to help counter them.

now I understand that this build could be very powerful if you have your thors tanking for your marines in your opponent's base. But what if you're stuck trying to defend your bases against collossi? Thors are not mobile at all. He can peek up your cliff, start burning your buildings. you run over, he just runs down the cliff and away. He can kite your thors all day long with collossi as long as he has room to manuver (ie he chooses engagement area well). Honestly I wouldn't even build zealots against this in the late game, just pure stalker/collossi and abuse mobility. Also on alot of maps like metalopolis or LT he can literaly come around behind your ball with his collossi and start burning marines down while your thors are trapped in the front.
jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 29 2010 21:45 GMT
#84
omg RoyalTiger who is a 1300-1400 terran just beat a 2365 toss even if he had sub par macro with this strategy :O

I'm posting the replay right now on the main page
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 29 2010 21:48 GMT
#85
jemag just keeps on dissing my skills every time he posts something up. I don't want to help him no more.... =[
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-29 22:03:43
October 29 2010 22:03 GMT
#86
add me we'll play later, I just parsed your new replay... If it is as effective as you say I better get used to it :|

tehemperorer.343
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 29 2010 22:19 GMT
#87
another replay added
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
October 29 2010 23:32 GMT
#88
I'm online right now, and I can beat that with Stargate play! Let's do it!
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 00:01:58
October 29 2010 23:58 GMT
#89
Are you freaking joking me?

Just watched the two new replays.

A few things.

1. These were custom games. I would like to see it in action vs random people in Matchmaking. Otherwise, you've gotten me thoroughly convinced that these matches were set-up.

2. What is up with both Protoss going so heavy on Zealots/Templars. Templars are nice to have vs anyone, but going so heavy on Templars is useless because of EMP. The Zealots either could've done more but weren't properly micro'ed or were just useless in a lot of the situations. There was even one time when after a battle, NYD warps in enough Zealots to kill the remaining Thors, but decides to run his Zealots passed the Thors instead and get turned into dust. In the game against BigBadWeaver or whatever, he didn't even upgrade at all, and kept DT harassing. If he had just attacked with those DTs along with his forces, he would've won. He had enough DTs to do that much damage, you might not have even noticed the DTs until it was too late. And he kept using the DTs to attack the Thors instead of the Marines.

Any good player will watch those replays will be like WTF?

Are you just trying to get a strategy named after yourself?
jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 30 2010 00:08 GMT
#90
Are you freaking joking me?

Just watched the two new replays.

A few things.

1. These were custom games. I would like to see it in action vs random people in Matchmaking. Otherwise, you've gotten me thoroughly convinced that these matches were set-up.

2. What is up with both Protoss going so heavy on Zealots/Templars. Templars are nice to have vs anyone, but going so heavy on Templars is useless because of EMP. The Zealots either could've done more but weren't properly micro'ed or were just useless in a lot of the situations. There was even one time when after a battle, NYD warps in enough Zealots to kill the remaining Thors, but decides to run his Zealots passed the Thors instead and get turned into dust. In the game against BigBadWeaver or whatever, he didn't even upgrade at all, and kept DT harassing. If he had just attacked with those DTs along with his forces, he would've won. He had enough DTs to do that much damage, you might not have even noticed the DTs until it was too late. And he kept using the DTs to attack the Thors instead of the Marines.

Any good player will watch those replays will be like WTF?

Last edit: 2010-10-30 09:01:58
Are you just trying to get a strategy named after yourself?


I don't really know what you're trying to insinuate to be honest. All the replays were 100% legit, you can simply go and ask the Protoss players in it if you want.

Of course they could have played better but Royal didnt play that good either. Royal actually had problems with his late game macro and still managed to take the win.

I'd be glad to put it against better players but I do not know much players above 2365 and 2065 rating. If you do, just msg me or add me in-game jemag (char code : 336)
dandelion
Profile Joined October 2010
6 Posts
October 30 2010 00:23 GMT
#91
Tried this twice in plat. league. Both times they scout my heavy marine count early and start chronoboosting collossi from 2 robos. The army was basicly collossi and stalker. I was dead before either of us got a third.

My micro/macro wasn't too good, but I don't like how this strategy left me so decimated.

kme
Profile Joined March 2010
Serbia176 Posts
October 30 2010 01:50 GMT
#92
jemag, can you (or one of those practice partners) try to play against this thor/marine but do this: Make 3 robos and pump colossi with the intention of having at least the same amount as he has thors if not more. The rest should be zealots/chargelots or stalkers if he starts getting vikings. Engage him somewhere close to his base and/or far from yours. As soon as all of the zealots die just retreat and rebuild them at home. He shouldn't be able to survive a couple of those trades, but who knows.

I am curious how will the strat fare against such play.
jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 30 2010 02:16 GMT
#93
jemag, can you (or one of those practice partners) try to play against this thor/marine but do this: Make 3 robos and pump colossi with the intention of having at least the same amount as he has thors if not more. The rest should be zealots/chargelots or stalkers if he starts getting vikings. Engage him somewhere close to his base and/or far from yours. As soon as all of the zealots die just retreat and rebuild them at home. He shouldn't be able to survive a couple of those trades, but who knows.

I am curious how will the strat fare against such play.


Yeah I will try to find a good toss to try this. I could do it but I don't want it to feel bias, as some posters seem to doubt.
Goliathsorrow
Profile Joined September 2010
Italy317 Posts
October 30 2010 02:50 GMT
#94
Colossi completly owns Thors unless u have medivacs to help Thors chasing them down.

With the + range and speed the Colossi can kill Thors without taking any damage whatsoever... and u can cancel the strike cannon attack if u run away with ur colossi soon enough from what I saw on the unit test map.

With that said I would not make immortals but colossi instead and micro them.

I don't see how u can chase and kill colossi... I feel like the protoss could just micro them until he finally gets the critical amount to own everything on the ground.

dthree
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia150 Posts
October 30 2010 02:51 GMT
#95
I really like how people are against this build without testing it themselves. Reminds me of kcdc's thread for 1gate FE as toss where everyone exclaimed that it wasn't possible (and now we see HuK using it as standard)

Claiming the replays are setup? What kind of stupid response is that, i'm sure he is setting up replays and writing long responses so that he can fool us into thinking his strategy is good... idiot

jemag, thanks for your effort in this guide and strategy i definitely like the idea of using thors more in this matchup and was looking for a way to go into macro situations with protoss and come out on top without being forced to be overly aggressive in order to stay in it with low-tech units.
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 03:30 GMT
#96
I really like how people are against this build without testing it themselves. Reminds me of kcdc's thread for 1gate FE as toss where everyone exclaimed that it wasn't possible (and now we see HuK using it as standard)

Claiming the replays are setup? What kind of stupid response is that, i'm sure he is setting up replays and writing long responses so that he can fool us into thinking his strategy is good... idiot

jemag, thanks for your effort in this guide and strategy i definitely like the idea of using thors more in this matchup and was looking for a way to go into macro situations with protoss and come out on top without being forced to be overly aggressive in order to stay in it with low-tech units.


Thank you, the few people who makes sense here. You should come and explore the build with us and refine it even more.
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
October 30 2010 03:43 GMT
#97
I merely asked you try this against the general population. If it works, great. Like i said... as a twrran player it would be nice to have different options against protoss. In just not convinced it would work and doing it custom games against people you know doesn't really prove anything to me. I could try it myself but if it fails obviously it'll be because im not good with the build. If you could post like 2 or 3 replays from matchmaking that would be great.
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 03:55 GMT
#98
I merely asked you try this against the general population. If it works, great. Like i said... as a twrran player it would be nice to have different options against protoss. In just not convinced it would work and doing it custom games against people you know doesn't really prove anything to me. I could try it myself but if it fails obviously it'll be because im not good with the build. If you could post like 2 or 3 replays from matchmaking that would be great.


You are more than welcome to find me some protoss to play against. I'm not in the mood for laddering right now and I'm focusing a lot on this build to get it to work out nicely so I've been playing with a lot of protoss players that I know and people introduced me to. Most protoss players who played against this build are all convinced that it can work and they would need to find a good counter to it. But I guess if I'm in the mood I can go do a few ladder games and find some protoss to try this build against.
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
October 30 2010 04:25 GMT
#99
I am convinced that this is a legit strat. I don't see my replay up here, but even though I played not too well, it is very hard to beat. At no point did I think I was ahead, even when I tried to outmacro. The Terran player, if good, can defend his expansion quite easily with mass marine to allow him to get to the point where he has 2 bases and can let the thors flow. I usually do air vs T and have great success, but this strat was pretty hard to handle, and I did lose. It is the range of 9 to air that really seals the deal on stargate tech. Im not sayin that I will give up the fight against this build, but please know that it is really hard to deal with!!
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 07:59:58
October 30 2010 07:57 GMT
#100
On October 29 2010 10:47 jemag wrote:
Show nested quote +
i feel like a robo-centric build would demolish this. colossus destroy marine/ghost and immoral WRECKS thors. also your 250mm portion is somewhat invalid vs good players, because they wont sit there in the AOE and take the full brunt of the damage. I can personally say that i've never lost to thor users as a protoss player... i actually prefer Terran to use them because of how ineffective they are

im not trying to bash on the OP, merely stating that theoretic descriptions (250mm example) aren't always applicable in actual-game scenarios


I know it totally sound weird and non intuitive lol. The truth tho is that emp-ed immortals are really not that effective.

Also a single 250 mm cannon will kill a colossus and will stun him. So you can't "run away from it" no matter how pro you are.

Range 7 with massive load-up time vs range 9 means you will never ever hit him with Thors... Thors might be good but colossus rape them hard so still gonna need vikings.

On October 30 2010 11:50 Goliathsorrow wrote:
Colossi completly owns Thors unless u have medivacs to help Thors chasing them down.

With the + range and speed the Colossi can kill Thors without taking any damage whatsoever... and u can cancel the strike cannon attack if u run away with ur colossi soon enough from what I saw on the unit test map.

With that said I would not make immortals but colossi instead and micro them.

I don't see how u can chase and kill colossi... I feel like the protoss could just micro them until he finally gets the critical amount to own everything on the ground.


Exactly what I think -.-
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 657
IntoTheiNu 609
SteadfastSC463
Rex93
CosmosSc2 63
EnkiAlexander 52
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 463
UpATreeSC 114
Rex 93
CosmosSc2 63
BRAT_OK 56
MindelVK 13
Codebar 12
JuggernautJason8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40638
Jaedong 1442
Soma 760
Hyuk 750
Mini 485
BeSt 445
Larva 353
Rush 291
Soulkey 252
ZerO 238
[ Show more ]
Snow 166
hero 112
Dewaltoss 86
Liquid`Ret 61
Mind 41
sorry 28
yabsab 27
Killer 25
ToSsGirL 24
Shine 19
Terrorterran 15
Trap 15
Dota 2
qojqva1227
Dendi808
Counter-Strike
Fnx 742
fl0m543
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King69
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3621
crisheroes2301
Khaldor1960
Liquid`Hasu500
Other Games
ArmadaUGS1724
byalli465
B2W.Neo440
ceh9386
KnowMe120
QueenE97
Trikslyr42
Chillindude39
Railgan22
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream100
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• Adnapsc2 6
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• FirePhoenix12
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3609
League of Legends
• TFBlade945
Other Games
• imaqtpie837
• Shiphtur323
• WagamamaTV246
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 25m
OSC
19h 25m
Stellar Fest
19h 25m
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 19h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.