• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:54
CEST 05:54
KST 12:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8740 users

TvP the new way! - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 08:06 GMT
#101
Well, if you notice a large number of colossi then start throwing in vikings. Scouting is still key. You cannot just stick to one unit and win the game. Scouting still plays a big roll.
actionbastrd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Congo598 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 08:14:07
October 30 2010 08:10 GMT
#102
I personally find this build annoying to deal with, Royal has used it on my plenty of times thus far and i havent beaten it. We are all working on the build. I think the biggest misconception with threads like this are that people are so bone headed about it.

Well he is saying the build is X, so obviously he is not getting anything but X units, ever, no matter what. Thats just plain dumb.

I also hate micro arguments since its always one sided. Well if the protoss micros he will win. Well what if terran micros as well? Might not be the auto win you claim it would be.

And not all builds can be executed well at all levels of play, keep that in mind. Just because you see a pro gamer do it in gsl doesn't mean you can do it and win with easy like they may have. Does that make the build a fail? obviously not. (but then again if a pro used it successfully we wouldn't have a discussion about it would we :-/) A couple of these responses are B.net forum quality too. D:
It rained today inside my head...
Sgtcrispy
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3 Posts
October 30 2010 09:05 GMT
#103
Thanks a lot for this, It's been working great in my TvP matches. For me a lot of times the Protoss will over commit to Immortals once they see 3 Thors allowing my marines to clean up everything.

Again, thanks. Was having trouble in TvP before this but now on a win streak.
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
October 30 2010 12:30 GMT
#104
very excited to try this, thanks for the post. going to do the day9 10 times before deciding either way.

bit worried about the fact that emping, then casting the cannons and microing my army out of storm might be a bit much for my skill level

also, so you really use no marauders at all? how do u hold a 2 or 4 gate? thanks
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
October 30 2010 13:21 GMT
#105
people generally seem to end up mass thor with no ghosts and barely any rines in the replays, any comments on this from people? the ghosts and rines definitely helped early game though.
MiKTeX
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States234 Posts
October 30 2010 17:41 GMT
#106
hi

when I see biomech (tanks or thors + a smaller bio army) I tech to templar and use immortal/templar and skip colossus entirely

I do not understand how you expect to beat my army with your composition, which seems to be tailored to counter standard robotics armies
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 17:58 GMT
#107
people generally seem to end up mass thor with no ghosts and barely any rines in the replays, any comments on this from people? the ghosts and rines definitely helped early game though.


I end up not having enough ghosts because I keep forgetting late game. This strategy is still new to me and I still need to get used to it. Do not try to use 250mm in battle, it can get you killed. Only use 250mm when most of his army are gone and you are only facing colossi and they're right next to you. Use it as an opportunistic approach.

hi

when I see biomech (tanks or thors + a smaller bio army) I tech to templar and use immortal/templar and skip colossus entirely

I do not understand how you expect to beat my army with your composition, which seems to be tailored to counter standard robotics armies


That is the army composition that this combo shine best against. The only unit combo that the terran's army have problem with is mass colossi, literally MASS colossi with stalkers. However, good scouting and good viking counts will solve that problem. Who said you have to only mass thors, marines and ghosts?
Tyrannon
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany113 Posts
October 30 2010 18:03 GMT
#108
I´d love to see a replay against blinkstalkers or a really aggressive play by Protoss. Every Replay added was 20minute Freedom + One big Fight.

Do you have any of those? Maybe even posting some you are losing with this?
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 18:19 GMT
#109
I´d love to see a replay against blinkstalkers or a really aggressive play by Protoss. Every Replay added was 20minute Freedom + One big Fight.

Do you have any of those? Maybe even posting some you are losing with this?


I do have replays of me losing to TofuD (a lot of 4 gate until I made the opener stronger). And I did lost to him when he mass colossi with stalkers (no blinking ones). But that's because I failed to scout his mass colossi so it was my fault.

I have not run into any blinking stalkers yet, if you are willing to do that with me we can have a go or two. Or you can find me some protoss players that are willing to do that.

RoyaLTigeR.723

=]
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 18:25 GMT
#110
Oh, about the 20 minutes freedom, TofuD started doing harassment on me as the testing progress. It doesn't work that well though because I just use the thors to stay at the at the front line while using the more mobile marines to run around and deal with threats (unless it's his whole big army then I bring everything).

I feel like one of the reasons the protoss do not want to commit to any attacks is because they know that they will have a disadvantage if they come to my base and attack. Same goes for me, if I move out before reaching a critical number, I will get melt away. This build is TOO passive for my taste though. So I am thinking of getting a starport up faster and start doing 8 marines drop all around the map while getting up to a big number. That should give the protoss more on their plate. =]
chickensnack
Profile Joined August 2010
United States21 Posts
October 30 2010 20:14 GMT
#111
I watched some of the replays. This is a rather passive build that doesn't use much aggression. I guess its a turtle style of play.

What I noticed from the replays is that the Thors are the real meat of the composition. They simply obliterate every ground unit the protoss can throw at them especially with upgrades. The infantry is really just fodder to soak up damage otherwise meant for the Thors.

Personally I think that any protoss who gets colossus with thermal lances would probably stuff this strategy. Pure speculation of course as I don't play toss myself but as a Terran player, that would be what I would worry about if I went this Thor/Marine build.
RoyaL-TigeR
Profile Joined May 2010
59 Posts
October 30 2010 20:19 GMT
#112
I watched some of the replays. This is a rather passive build that doesn't use much aggression. I guess its a turtle style of play.

What I noticed from the replays is that the Thors are the real meat of the composition. They simply obliterate every ground unit the protoss can throw at them especially with upgrades. The infantry is really just fodder to soak up damage otherwise meant for the Thors.

Personally I think that any protoss who gets colossus with thermal lances would probably stuff this strategy. Pure speculation of course as I don't play toss myself but as a Terran player, that would be what I would worry about if I went this Thor/Marine build.


That's why you get vikings if they have a lot of colossi. And yes, the build is quite passive right now and I'm trying to make it more aggressive by adding the starport earlier and bring out medivacs to do 8 marines drops around the map. It turn out to work really well, especially if they decided to rush you really quick with colossi, then you have the vikings to back it up. =]
Shlowpoke
Profile Joined August 2010
United States102 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-30 20:52:41
October 30 2010 20:42 GMT
#113
I really like the idea and look of the build. However, I think it has some issues.

1) Why do you need to get ghosts that fast? I assume you're worried about fast immortal pushes, but since you have tons of Marines you should be able to use them to focus down an Immortal's shields immediately. I think you might be okay if you just get a bunker and Thor rush while building a CC in your base. Especially since Thor Marine seems very good defensively (at least on paper). Why not get ghosts after you expand, and try to time it so that you'll have some EMPs out in time for a Templar rush or a big 4-5+ Immortal attack?

2) What's up with that fast engineering bay and turrets? I'm down with rushing for a +1 upgrade if you're going mass marine, but the turrets at least seem unnecessary unless you suspect DTs. You have plenty of marines to deal with void rays and phoenixes.

If there are reasons for any of the above, please enlighten me.

If you cut those things out you could maybe expand earlier, get some marauders to make it harder for Zealots to get to your Thors, get more upgrades, or get a faster starport for emergency vikings or banshee harass. And I think you really will need vikings against a careful Colossus user. The guys you played against just kind of a-moved their whole army, which hilariously makes the Colossus AI target the Thors instead of the Marines.

If I was playing against this build, I'd either Gate Core FE or 2 Gate Robo FE into Colossi with 1-2 Immortals. During the battles I'd move my Colossi forward and try to poke at your Thors/Marines since I have range advantage. If you move the marines forward I can force field them back and pick them off. I think the only thing that would really give me pause there is Viking support. Another issue is that late game incorporating a few Void Rays into your Gateway/Colossus ball will make all the Thors waste their fire on the air, so having a good Viking count will be very important.

That said, I think this could be made into a workable strategy. Keep at it, guys!
EDIT: If you want to try an early push, you might have a timing window when you hit 3 Thors, since 3 Thors one-shot all Protoss gateway units and the Immortal/Colossus count should be low.

jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 30 2010 23:30 GMT
#114
1) Why do you need to get ghosts that fast? I assume you're worried about fast immortal pushes, but since you have tons of Marines you should be able to use them to focus down an Immortal's shields immediately. I think you might be okay if you just get a bunker and Thor rush while building a CC in your base. Especially since Thor Marine seems very good defensively (at least on paper). Why not get ghosts after you expand, and try to time it so that you'll have some EMPs out in time for a Templar rush or a big 4-5+ Immortal attack?

2) What's up with that fast engineering bay and turrets? I'm down with rushing for a +1 upgrade if you're going mass marine, but the turrets at least seem unnecessary unless you suspect DTs. You have plenty of marines to deal with void rays and phoenixes.


1) Yeah actually we been looking at that and it might be as good if not better to get the ghosts a little later on. Still testing it, I'd have to ask Royal if he has updates on this.

2) The engineering bay is mainly for the +1 and as a safety. But yeah I removed the turret from the build order as it's really up to the user to decide on that.
Wartortle
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia504 Posts
October 31 2010 02:28 GMT
#115
early chargelot pushes have really been a worry for me as ive tried this build, i feel so naked without marauders to slow things down.
Zvendetta
Profile Joined July 2010
United States321 Posts
October 31 2010 02:55 GMT
#116
Really good strategy developing here, however I still see a big problem with chargelots.

What the OP suggested was to add on blue hellions in RESPONSE to that, however, given the units/upgrades you're already producing, you will be severely outproduced by protoss warpgates already churning out lots.

To start getting blue hellions to manageable deal with mass charge lots you need tech lab on a factory, then a reactor factory (how you get them is dependent on your choice), by the time you scout the TC and the lots, I doubt you'll be able to get those hellions up fast in time.

The one thing I do find detrimental is the fact that there is no inclusion of ways to deny expos, it almost feels as if this "macro- geered" play style is reliant on outbasing your opponent midlategame, then just overwhelming his army with a very diverse composition strong against alot of things. Just because you want to play "macro oriented" doesn't mean it has to be passive the ENTIRE game. At no point in the build do I just feel, explode, make the enemy feel absolutely afraid. There is no critical turning point where you can 100% say I have the game, and if that IS the exact play style you want, then bravo, because this build is perfect for it.

If you really want to add a literal explosion to this, then plan on transitioning into nukes, (not nuke rush or anything), once you are gearing up that macro army off 3/4 base, then add some real firepower to those ghosts. Honestly, when a terran gets a fourth base that's so much income he can get whatever he pleases.

"Its as if I can see the gears of the Eternal Alchemy spinning before, and I can almost reach out and turn them with my hands."
SCling
Profile Joined October 2010
18 Posts
October 31 2010 04:45 GMT
#117
In your more recent replays, you started changing around the build timings and such. Are they better timings? Or should people still refer to your OP?
Bixs
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark66 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-31 04:55:07
October 31 2010 04:46 GMT
#118
Would just like to add that I as a 1800 terran really feel (like the authors) that this build is realy good :D. I have won twice on ladder now using this mass thor marine ghost build (executed very poorly), where I would otherwise do the tricky 2 rax FE bio select style. The build seems to completly destroy gateways units AND immortals (due to the emps) very well. Each match I won with an inferior cost army.

I however can not say what the specific timing weakness are or what the lategame counter is :S (maybe like someone said about mass gateway and colossus)

Chargelots don't seem to be that much of a threat, because of the marines (zealots just evaporat and stalkers spontaneously combust)

Something to think about, is that you might be able to get away with expanding MUCH earlier, like 1 rax FE, if you get a reaper (for scouting) and bunker up with marines and a ghost?

Ohh and one last thing, I have always had the feeling that marauders suck versus chargelots? The slow is kinda an offensive ability imo
jemag
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada98 Posts
October 31 2010 05:38 GMT
#119
In your more recent replays, you started changing around the build timings and such. Are they better timings? Or should people still refer to your OP?


Well like I said we're still testing out some timings about the ghosts. Also, the timings really depend on wether or not the Protoss goes for a fast expansion.

I'll try to come with more and more precise timings as we refine the build. The thing is there is only 1 terran that I know testing it, so it does take time.
positron.
Profile Joined May 2010
634 Posts
October 31 2010 06:09 GMT
#120
I hope you guys figure out how to deal with chargelot and colossi. That combo seem like it would absolutely destroy rines, thors and ghost. Will you be able to get enough vikings to make a difference give you spent so much gas on the ghost and thors?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft425
RuFF_SC2 203
Nina 92
-ZergGirl 90
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2235
Bale 18
yabsab 14
Terrorterran 9
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1157
taco 374
minikerr19
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox731
Other Games
summit1g7628
JimRising 681
Day[9].tv471
C9.Mang0305
WinterStarcraft287
Maynarde152
Sick148
Livibee144
ViBE101
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick936
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream171
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota216
League of Legends
• Stunt302
Other Games
• Day9tv471
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 7m
Stellar Fest
9h 7m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.