• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:12
CEST 18:12
KST 01:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12048 users

Answering Terran Questions - Page 25

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 All
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
October 18 2010 08:45 GMT
#481
~1900 terran here, btw. I'll answer questions I know I can answer safely enough, though me and the OP may disagree on some key areas.

How to stop muta/ling/bling? Attack him at ~13 mins and deny his third. And maybe keep attacking. You gotta stay aggressive, even if it seems bad for you, because if the Zerg army gets too big you'll never kill it.

The only way to stop this is to ensure his mutaflock does not get too large. If it does then you're fucked, well and true, as his army is far too big to handle, he'll have a third up and you struggle to get yours up likewise, and even if you do you struggle to get out of your base because 30 mutas >>> terran bases. If you cannot get out of your base then you cannot stop him from taking a 4th and 5th and eventually ultralisks. And then you're REALLY screwed.

And the only way to stop the mutaflock getting too large is to attack him. He won't attack you. He doesn't need to.

What with? I'm tinkering with a bioball meself, but thor/marine/marauder SHOULD do, as long as your fundamentals are solid.

And no, thor/marine/hellion does not shut down muta/ling/bling by it's own nature. Magic box >>> thors, banelings >>> marines and hellions. Hellions >>> lings, but not banelings, so big fucken deal there. Yes, these are useful units to have (perhaps not the thor, hence why I've been trying out TvZ without tanks or thors until 3rd base, which so far has been going surprisingly ok), but they won't win you the game just because you built them and attacked him.




Anyway, useful information above is over. Here contains my current experimentation with TvZ.

Fuck thors. Seriously. I liked them when their splash meant something, and now I'm over them. Screw tanks as well. Well, correction. Screw tanks BEFORE 3rd base. Tansk after 3rd is great beacuse the Zerg army is huge at that point and I could really do with some tanks to reduce their numbers. Until then, bugger it all.

Why? Well, thors require two things to be really good vs mutalisks. First is upgrades, a +2/+0 thor kills a muta in 2 hits, not 3. Considering how slowly the bastards shoot, that's quite important. Second, an opponent that doesnt' know about magic box, which is basically no-one at high level play. If you lack those things then they don't do particularly well against mutalisks or lings or blings, compared to other options. Thors are also slow to move, and I don't care for that much either.

I do like using thors to dissuade mutalisks from entering my base before I get turrets up. The huge range of thor AA is quite nice. But otherwise I'm going to give them a miss and just depend on a LOT of marines and a LOT of keeping marines alive. Marines don't need bullshit to kill mutas, they just point their guns upwards, hit the stims and pray to god the banelings aren't next to them yet, and they do quite well at that.

I'm not saying Thors are entirely useless. I just don't want to use them in my style of play right now. Maybe later, mighty steel titans, but not yet. I do like adding them against ultralisks because they do LOADS of damage to them, laughing off their thick armour (well, mostly).

As for tanks, I'm not getting any until my 3rd is up, at which point I'll add loads. It's mostly because I don't need them yet. With good micro and creep clearing, a bioball can hold their own long enough against muta/ling/bling and keep their numbers down whilst I get a third up. A bioball can do this without getting fucked by bad positioning. Well, not as much. I'll add tanks later because they are useful later, especially when the distances between bases are shorter (because we're expanding everywhere) and it's harder for the Zerg to find good counterattack paths (another huge reason I hate pushing out with tanks on 2-base, good zergs exploit my lack of mobility hard).

A bioball is also heaps easier to control and macro up. Plus, because I'm skipping mech upgrades so I can afford to get infantry armour, which I've started to value highly. I ignored it before, because I was getting mech upgrades and didn't want to over-upgrade my army, and also because I didn't think I needed it. Marines get splatted by 2 banelings no matter how much armoru you have, so why bother?

True, true, but ultras, lings and mutas do smaller amounts of damage, and that is definitely worth getting at least 1 or 2 points of armour for.

Well, that's over. I'll be trying this out for probably like a week before I decide it's trash and move on.
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-18 08:50:02
October 18 2010 08:49 GMT
#482
On October 18 2010 17:45 iaguz wrote:
~1900 terran here, btw. I'll answer questions I know I can answer safely enough, though me and the OP may disagree on some key areas.

How to stop muta/ling/bling? Attack him at ~13 mins and deny his third. And maybe keep attacking. You gotta stay aggressive, even if it seems bad for you, because if the Zerg army gets too big you'll never kill it.

The only way to stop this is to ensure his mutaflock does not get too large. If it does then you're fucked, well and true, as his army is far too big to handle, he'll have a third up and you struggle to get yours up likewise, and even if you do you struggle to get out of your base because 30 mutas >>> terran bases. If you cannot get out of your base then you cannot stop him from taking a 4th and 5th and eventually ultralisks. And then you're REALLY screwed.

And the only way to stop the mutaflock getting too large is to attack him. He won't attack you. He doesn't need to.

What with? I'm tinkering with a bioball meself, but thor/marine/marauder SHOULD do, as long as your fundamentals are solid.

And no, thor/marine/hellion does not shut down muta/ling/bling by it's own nature. Magic box >>> thors, banelings >>> marines and hellions. Hellions >>> lings, but not banelings, so big fucken deal there. Yes, these are useful units to have (perhaps not the thor, hence why I've been trying out TvZ without tanks or thors until 3rd base, which so far has been going surprisingly ok), but they won't win you the game just because you built them and attacked him.




Anyway, useful information above is over. Here contains my current experimentation with TvZ.

Fuck thors. Seriously. I liked them when their splash meant something, and now I'm over them. Screw tanks as well. Well, correction. Screw tanks BEFORE 3rd base. Tansk after 3rd is great beacuse the Zerg army is huge at that point and I could really do with some tanks to reduce their numbers. Until then, bugger it all.

Why? Well, thors require two things to be really good vs mutalisks. First is upgrades, a +2/+0 thor kills a muta in 2 hits, not 3. Considering how slowly the bastards shoot, that's quite important. Second, an opponent that doesnt' know about magic box, which is basically no-one at high level play. If you lack those things then they don't do particularly well against mutalisks or lings or blings, compared to other options. Thors are also slow to move, and I don't care for that much either.

I do like using thors to dissuade mutalisks from entering my base before I get turrets up. The huge range of thor AA is quite nice. But otherwise I'm going to give them a miss and just depend on a LOT of marines and a LOT of keeping marines alive. Marines don't need bullshit to kill mutas, they just point their guns upwards, hit the stims and pray to god the banelings aren't next to them yet, and they do quite well at that.

I'm not saying Thors are entirely useless. I just don't want to use them in my style of play right now. Maybe later, mighty steel titans, but not yet. I do like adding them against ultralisks because they do LOADS of damage to them, laughing off their thick armour (well, mostly).

As for tanks, I'm not getting any until my 3rd is up, at which point I'll add loads. It's mostly because I don't need them yet. With good micro and creep clearing, a bioball can hold their own long enough against muta/ling/bling and keep their numbers down whilst I get a third up. A bioball can do this without getting fucked by bad positioning. Well, not as much. I'll add tanks later because they are useful later, especially when the distances between bases are shorter (because we're expanding everywhere) and it's harder for the Zerg to find good counterattack paths (another huge reason I hate pushing out with tanks on 2-base, good zergs exploit my lack of mobility hard).

A bioball is also heaps easier to control and macro up. Plus, because I'm skipping mech upgrades so I can afford to get infantry armour, which I've started to value highly. I ignored it before, because I was getting mech upgrades and didn't want to over-upgrade my army, and also because I didn't think I needed it. Marines get splatted by 2 banelings no matter how much armoru you have, so why bother?

True, true, but ultras, lings and mutas do smaller amounts of damage, and that is definitely worth getting at least 1 or 2 points of armour for.

Well, that's over. I'll be trying this out for probably like a week before I decide it's trash and move on.


I would like to see some replays of examples to your bio statement, as infestors to me feel like they would shut down your entire play. Maybe a few examples of this working? As you can get infestors around the same time as mutalisks it shouldn't be too difficult to stop your aggression.

However I do hope you are on to something as tanks are very slow. 8)
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-18 09:14:39
October 18 2010 09:13 GMT
#483
Good infestor play could shut this down, for sure. Thors still wouldn't help in that situation, mind! Tanks would though. Tanks are fun. Also drops. I hate dropping mutalisk players out because it's a huge risk trying to sneak a loaded dropship out, only to have it caught my roaming mutas and lose it all. fuck that. But against infestors it's a much safer bet. And it's easier to shoot down overlords with vikings too!

But against muta/ling/bling, hells fucking yes.

As I said, I will work on a bit more.
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
October 18 2010 09:15 GMT
#484
On October 18 2010 18:13 iaguz wrote:
Good infestor play could shut this down, for sure. Thors still wouldn't help in that situation, mind! Tanks would though. Tanks are fun. Also drops. I hate dropping mutalisk players out because it's a huge risk trying to sneak a loaded dropship out, only to have it caught my roaming mutas and lose it all. fuck that. But against infestors it's a much safer bet. And it's easier to shoot down overlords with vikings too!

But against muta/ling/bling, hells fucking yes.

As I said, I will work on a bit more.


Looking forward to your results, however if you are going bio play. add cloak ghosts for emp shots.
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
October 18 2010 10:37 GMT
#485
Hmmmm, ghosts, now that's not a bad idea.

My opening that I've been tinkering with is like 12 rax reaper, FE, into 2 cloaked banshees (you do lose a bit of timing with it, but they'll come before mutas arrive, if only just! I'm not 100% I need them to be cloaked because the lair is always up by the time they get there, although almost never an overseer. They do hatch very quickly, but I do get a cool window to shoot drones in whilst it morphs) into lots of rax and bioball, into 3rd at which at point I add factories and tanks.

Some ghosts though, instead of cloak tech (keep teh banshees as they are pretty useful. Even if they do get shot down, you do kill a good amount of drones whilst I get everything else in place.) is not a bad idea. I can see it working. Only thing I don't like is the fact I probably lack the apm to snipe all them banelings AND control my marines at the same time. I dunno. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I scout infestor play (scouting zerg tech is another use of the banshees, unfortunately I usually just sit and shoot drones instead, hehe)
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
October 18 2010 10:45 GMT
#486
On October 18 2010 19:37 iaguz wrote:
Hmmmm, ghosts, now that's not a bad idea.

My opening that I've been tinkering with is like 12 rax reaper, FE, into 2 cloaked banshees (you do lose a bit of timing with it, but they'll come before mutas arrive, if only just! I'm not 100% I need them to be cloaked because the lair is always up by the time they get there, although almost never an overseer. They do hatch very quickly, but I do get a cool window to shoot drones in whilst it morphs) into lots of rax and bioball, into 3rd at which at point I add factories and tanks.

Some ghosts though, instead of cloak tech (keep teh banshees as they are pretty useful. Even if they do get shot down, you do kill a good amount of drones whilst I get everything else in place.) is not a bad idea. I can see it working. Only thing I don't like is the fact I probably lack the apm to snipe all them banelings AND control my marines at the same time. I dunno. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I scout infestor play (scouting zerg tech is another use of the banshees, unfortunately I usually just sit and shoot drones instead, hehe)


I hope you are watching the GSL as it shows just how easy it is to stop banshee's.
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
October 18 2010 11:05 GMT
#487
On October 18 2010 19:45 Vegasminion wrote:
I hope you are watching the GSL as it shows just how easy it is to stop banshee's.


...

ButterflyEffect's banshees were -extremely- late.

He even built tanks before the banshees.

REAL 2-port banshee (gas before rax, etc.) can be really tricky to stop.
BEARDiaguz
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia2362 Posts
October 18 2010 11:28 GMT
#488
Didn't watch GSL, but note that part where I said it's an FE build that uses banshees to poke around a bit and kill some drones, and scout. The other option is a drop. I don't like drops quite as much as you don't kill as many drones with a drop (well, generally) as you would with banshees. I'm here to kill drones goddammit, not fuckaround with some lings!

A lot of the inspiration for this build actually came from watching Drewbie wreck Ret and Slush. I'm not entirely sure with the banshees and cloak, I'll hand ye that, but the 12rax reaper opening is a winner. It gives me a tech lab to handle early pressure, allows me to put pressure on him, get great scouting and expand fast. What's to lose?
ProgamerAustralian alcohol user follow @iaguzSC2
Yosho
Profile Joined June 2010
585 Posts
October 19 2010 03:49 GMT
#489
On October 18 2010 20:28 iaguz wrote:
Didn't watch GSL, but note that part where I said it's an FE build that uses banshees to poke around a bit and kill some drones, and scout. The other option is a drop. I don't like drops quite as much as you don't kill as many drones with a drop (well, generally) as you would with banshees. I'm here to kill drones goddammit, not fuckaround with some lings!

A lot of the inspiration for this build actually came from watching Drewbie wreck Ret and Slush. I'm not entirely sure with the banshees and cloak, I'll hand ye that, but the 12rax reaper opening is a winner. It gives me a tech lab to handle early pressure, allows me to put pressure on him, get great scouting and expand fast. What's to lose?


You won't have reaper speed as early though, remember that new portion.
For master league random race videos and replays go to www.youtube.com/sc2yosho
Prev 1 23 24 25 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM728
IndyStarCraft 202
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 728
ByuN 307
Reynor 306
TKL 292
IndyStarCraft 202
Railgan 79
BRAT_OK 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55520
Bisu 2919
Calm 2409
FanTaSy 879
Stork 596
Rush 457
hero 297
firebathero 170
actioN 133
Sharp 98
[ Show more ]
Free 50
Sea.KH 49
ToSsGirL 37
Mong 34
Pusan 30
soO 25
Rock 24
Aegong 18
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 12
Noble 12
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10396
Dendi934
Counter-Strike
fl0m4898
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King96
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK7
Other Games
singsing2084
Liquid`RaSZi1536
B2W.Neo684
Beastyqt664
Mlord480
Khaldor472
olofmeister447
KnowMe359
crisheroes112
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV252
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 8
• Adnapsc2 6
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach20
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV546
League of Legends
• Nemesis3226
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1540
Other Games
• Shiphtur532
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 49m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 49m
OSC
6h 49m
Replay Cast
6h 49m
OSC
19h 49m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.