• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:48
CEST 19:48
KST 02:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7157 users

[M] (4) CarZera

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-14 18:35:48
April 01 2011 19:17 GMT
#1
CarZera -> Mar Zera

This thread concist of the older version of Mar Zera and are more or less abondoned.

I have a new thread for the latest version.

(I could no longer keep all the info in the same thread, which is the main reason I posted a new thread)

Ver 1

Overveiw Image
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Players: 4
Map size: 166x166 (playable)
Bases: 16 (main, nat, third, fourth x4, all regular, no gold)
XelNaga Towers: 3 around the centre
Mains cross-distance: ~158
Mains short distance: ~136

- Third and fourth positioned on each side of the main
- Backdoor ramp between third and nat blocked by rocks.
- Destroy additional rocks on the map to open alternative attacking paths for late game (early game you can sneak through the gaps).
- 3 Xel'Naga Towers in the map middle.


Ver 2

Overveiw Image
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Bases: 16 (4 gold)
XelNaga Towers: 4
Short main-to-main: 140.3
Cross main-to-main: 164
Short nat-to-nat: 101
Cross nat-to-nat: 126

- Nat is no longer siegable to the same extent
- Fourth replaced with gold expo closer ot the centre.
- Rotational symetry instead of mirrored. The path around the map centre is no longer blocked by rocks, but is quite narrow and surrounds the high ground gold.
- Rocks by the gold bases and nat backdoors only.
- 4 Xel'Naga Towers by the gold bases, spotting the short rush distance paths rather than the centre area.
- Middle area changed completely. See images below.


Detail images ver 1
+ Show Spoiler +


Middle
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Rocked paths between thirds (pathing)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Close-up on 1/4 slice (pathing)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Map Analyzer Images

+ Show Spoiler +


Overview
[image loading]

(does not display huge DSRs. Does not display some path-blocking doodads)

Shortest path, 2 to 8
[image loading]

Shortest path, 4 to 8
[image loading]

(again, ignores some doodads - the distance is a bit longer. That cliff-walk path ignores the huge DSRs)

Shortest path, 10 to 8
[image loading]

(same error here)






Detail images ver 2

+ Show Spoiler +


The new middle
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



The 3rd, gold and XNT
(if XNTs could reveal pathing )
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Scenario 1
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


In this story, the zerg has mass-expanded - both nat, third and a fourth is taken. Two creep tumors created a lane between main and nat and she destroyed the backdoor rocks to access the third with only one additional tumor. Zerg has also expanded at the gold, but this treck takes three creep tumors to create a creep lane to.

Players may choose to keep the rocks between nat and third and take a gold as third instead.


Scenario 2
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


In this other scenario, probably cross-position 1v1 play, the zerg has left the nat backdoor rocks intact, expanding to the nearby golds instead, using a total of 3 creep tumors for the closer left-hand gold and a total of 4 to reach the right-hand gold.


http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
oneil
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada73 Posts
April 01 2011 19:36 GMT
#2
Hey I don't have much time to type it all out so I put it in point-form:

Pros:
- Great use of symmetry
- No analyzer for distances? Looks like all the same distance
- Great detail work (doodads, organic vs. manmade cliffs, height tool, textures)
- Original design, with lots of alternative paths (enabled by rocks)

Cons:
- The three rocks seperating horizontal spawns have an opening; intentional?
- Without knocking down rocks, all paths go through middle; Consider opening edges of the map w/ ramps?
- Middle area only has 1 fog doodad; intentional?

Great looking map, I'd love to see more of the texture work in-game..
You all look up to me, and I forever look down on the world. | Go to my profile to see my maps!
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
April 01 2011 19:43 GMT
#3
Haha oneil, I like your cons best. Yeah the gap is intentional (updating OP), which effectively nullifies your second point .. I think?

I thought four or two fog doodads might get too heavy on some comps It does look a bit weird though. However, the visuals are subject to change (I have two or three textures I havn't used yet - I'd like to make the map overall lighter if possible).

Please focus on gameplay cons and pros, though
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
April 01 2011 19:46 GMT
#4
why is the exterior so plain? is it water, sorta hard to tell. the middle area looks pretty cool.
bahunto28
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada262 Posts
April 01 2011 20:27 GMT
#5
great looking map!
my only comment is the chokes to the 3rd/4ths seem narrow and too easily blocked off with bunkers/cannons... anyway of opening up the paths to the bases?
meh
oneil
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada73 Posts
April 01 2011 22:49 GMT
#6
I just want to make sure you're aware the natural is quite vulnerable to lower-ground tanks and the vespene placement hinders troops rushing the cliff to shoot down at them:

(red is approx. tank range, I guestimated based on the 13 range)
[image loading]
You all look up to me, and I forever look down on the world. | Go to my profile to see my maps!
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
April 02 2011 10:35 GMT
#7
Thats a good valid point. I was aware of it when I made it, but eventually felt I had to squeece in the nat there. Perhaps that high ground next to the geysers does not help either?

I supose tank siegeing of the nat gas/minerals is something that should be avoided. Most maps do, when thinking about it.

What change do you suggest?
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
PandaBlunt
Profile Joined September 2010
United States292 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-02 11:19:53
April 02 2011 11:19 GMT
#8
You could take the left and right high grounds (where the lava is) & move the expansion to where they are, make them high yields. In close positions this would encourage a player to expand away from his/her opponent. Then alter it so that the siege tanks cannot hit it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, very nice looking and clean map ^_^.

Idk, just an idea.
-cLvPanda
(╮°-°)╮┳━┳
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-03 00:20:23
April 02 2011 13:57 GMT
#9
@PandaBlunt

Thanks but I'm not sure I'm getting what you suggest exactly. Are you saying I should move the third expo (the left hand one) closer to the map centre and make it into a HY? I think that would be a very close HY expo, although I've been thinking about moving the third closer to the map centre. However, beacuse of the general layout the thirds would be very close to one another (look at the overview image) with only rocks between. Did I get your suggestion right?

Edit: I think I could make the map 1/4 rotational instead. That would look so much better and I could have the right hand third remain mostly as it is while the left hand third is closer to the map centre.

Do you think the map centre plays well btw? The overall concept with three towers and the ring of high ground..
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
oneil
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada73 Posts
April 04 2011 12:41 GMT
#10
I do like the middle yes, it's esthetically pleasing and performs a tactical purpose..
You all look up to me, and I forever look down on the world. | Go to my profile to see my maps!
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-04 13:00:39
April 04 2011 13:00 GMT
#11
To solve the natural problem you'd probably have to extend the lava a bit, kinda like this:
[image loading]

Obviously you'd have to make the part between those two regions a bit tighter.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-05 11:26:41
April 04 2011 16:20 GMT
#12
@FlopTurnReaver Thanks for taking your time to draw a sweet pic I made a bigger change instead, since it was so much I wasn't content with.

I made a new version. It's like a remake and it has rotational symetry. I embraced PandaBlunt's idea to change the third into gold and move it closer to the centre (at least I think that's what he meant). I think 4 golds for a map is a bit much, but on a 4p rotational symetry map it makes sense to have 4 rather than 2, just as 4 towers rather than 2 makes more sense.

I'll update the thread about the details later. Here's an overview though:

[image loading]

XelNaga Towers: 4
Bases: 16 (4 gold)

Distances
Short main-to-main: 140.3
Cross main-to-main: 164
Short nat-to-nat: 101
Cross nat-to-nat: 126

The middle has two distinct features. The absolute centre is narrow and risky late game, but provides for short rush distances early game. The other feature is the small high grounds that overlook the main path. On the other side of the gap, there is the gold base with XNT that spots those high grounds.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
oneil
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada73 Posts
April 04 2011 18:53 GMT
#13
Please provide a screenshot of the new middle, it was definitely a selling point previously.
You all look up to me, and I forever look down on the world. | Go to my profile to see my maps!
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-04 20:32:47
April 04 2011 20:30 GMT
#14
Sure.

The new middle

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



The 3rd, gold and XNT
(if XNTs could reveal pathing )
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Compare to old middle:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-05 14:14:58
April 05 2011 12:21 GMT
#15
New main, nat third and gold scenarios

Scenario 1
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


In this story, the zerg has mass-expanded - both nat, third and a fourth is taken. Two creep tumors created a lane between main and nat and she destroyed the backdoor rocks to access the third with only one additional tumor. Zerg has also expanded at the gold, but this treck takes three creep tumors to create a creep lane to.

Players may choose to keep the rocks between nat and third and take a gold as third instead.


Scenario 2
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


In this other scenario, probably cross-position 1v1 play, the zerg has left the nat backdoor rocks intact, expanding to the nearby golds instead, using a total of 3 creep tumors for the closer left-hand gold and a total of 4 to reach the right-hand gold.


Edit: Just realized the first scenario was invalid, so changed it some.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-09 12:37:09
April 09 2011 12:32 GMT
#16
OP updated with both versions described. Now you can influence me on what I should throw away and keep from both versions The goal is to have one better version of the map in the end.

Both are published on EU as as CarZera (ver 2) and Core Delta (ver 1) if you want to try them out.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
lovablemikey
Profile Joined October 2010
264 Posts
April 09 2011 16:20 GMT
#17
It looks like if the players spawn vertically or horizontally then one player's third is toward the opponent's while the opponent's is away. I had the same issue with Moon Sailor, which is why I changed it to mirrored symmetry. Plus, it looks like a Terran opponent could set up camp on the gold money high ground area and safely blast away. I drew some pictures to give a better idea of what I mean.

[image loading]

[image loading]

In this last picture, the purple dotted lines are the paths that ground units would have to take in order to reach any units on the high ground.

Aside from those two points, the rest would be about how sweet this map looks. I like how you used different cliff styles, organic and man-made, to section off the mains from the rest of the map. From what I can see, the texture work looks nice and organized and the blue fog is pretty cool in contrast with the lava. All in all I would say you're sitting on a winner.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
April 09 2011 17:38 GMT
#18
On April 10 2011 01:20 lovablemikey wrote:
It looks like if the players spawn vertically or horizontally then one player's third is toward the opponent's while the opponent's is away. I had the same issue with Moon Sailor, which is why I changed it to mirrored symmetry. Plus, it looks like a Terran opponent could set up camp on the gold money high ground area and safely blast away. I drew some pictures to give a better idea of what I mean.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


In this last picture, the purple dotted lines are the paths that ground units would have to take in order to reach any units on the high ground.

Aside from those two points, the rest would be about how sweet this map looks. I like how you used different cliff styles, organic and man-made, to section off the mains from the rest of the map. From what I can see, the texture work looks nice and organized and the blue fog is pretty cool in contrast with the lava. All in all I would say you're sitting on a winner.


I generally don't mind rotational imbalance, but I think it might be nice to make the 3rds more neutral here.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 12:37:03
April 10 2011 12:35 GMT
#19
@lovablemikey haha your pictures are lovable, especially the zerg in the last one :D The imbalance of rotational symetry has been on my mind like a pest since I made this latest version, so I'm aware of it, which is why I show of the first version for comparision.

I was hoping for more suggestions on how to fix this imbalance.

About the gold.. I'll either make it low ground or have the tower on a spot where it overlooks the gold, but not too close to it... I think ><

@monitor - the imbalance is worse on my map than most rotational symetry maps? Please give me some examples of when rotational imbalance is fine?

Proposed change
I think I'll just add another possible third pretty identical to the excisting third, but on the right side of the main. That means two backdoor ramps into the nat. I'll keep the golds, but move them closer to the map centre and make them half expos with 4 mineral and 1 gas, so I wont have crazily full 20 expos on the map, rather 16 + 4 half. What do you think?
I can't help but thinking NOT having the gold bases at all and still having the possible thirds so far from the map centre would be bad for the general flow of the map - no flow towards the centre.

Something like this?

[image loading]


(a quick sketch .. faster than changing the map I think)
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
lovablemikey
Profile Joined October 2010
264 Posts
April 10 2011 16:17 GMT
#20
Ooo, I like that idea. I say go with that.

I was going to suggest bringing the third's resources closer to the main, but that idea seems stupid now. Your's is much better.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
22:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1095
SteadfastSC876
ComeBackTV 790
TaKeTV 618
IndyStarCraft 237
Rex121
EnkiAlexander 77
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 876
IndyStarCraft 240
ProTech151
Rex 125
UpATreeSC 61
BRAT_OK 47
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 39240
Shuttle 805
Mini 432
Rush 197
Hyuk 126
Dewaltoss 105
firebathero 82
Trap 38
ToSsGirL 32
Bale 23
[ Show more ]
Rock 19
Sacsri 18
Shine 15
Dota 2
Gorgc10373
qojqva1722
Counter-Strike
fl0m1495
Fnx 793
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1524
Khaldor1289
Liquid`Hasu3
Other Games
FrodaN1546
Beastyqt483
Mlord227
XBOCT221
DeMusliM210
ArmadaUGS146
KnowMe130
C9.Mang0110
XaKoH 99
QueenE96
Mew2King74
CosmosSc2 13
summit1g9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV277
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream63
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH354
• StrangeGG 43
• Hinosc 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 7
• FirePhoenix6
• 80smullet 0
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie620
• Shiphtur351
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 12m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 12m
Online Event
17h 12m
FEL
22h 12m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 12m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.