• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:31
CEST 10:31
KST 17:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11158 users

Simple Questions/Answers - Page 151

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 149 150 151 152 153 182 Next
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
February 22 2015 14:12 GMT
#3001
On February 20 2015 12:29 Antares777 wrote:
I think I'm having a problem with collapsible rock towers in the editor. I am clicking on the unit and nothing appears. When I click to try to place one on the map, nothing happens.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? It's like the units don't exist in the editor.

The units name "collapsible x" are actually placeholder units. You'll need to use the "cooling tower" or "rock tower" units instead.
not a community mapmaker
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
February 23 2015 09:04 GMT
#3002
Hello all,
I was just wondering what are some techniques or approaches you guys have when designing a map's layout. Do you jump straight into the editor, or do you do what I do and sketch it out first?
Thanks,
LComteVarauG
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
February 23 2015 10:18 GMT
#3003
On February 23 2015 18:04 LComteVarauG wrote:
Hello all,
I was just wondering what are some techniques or approaches you guys have when designing a map's layout. Do you jump straight into the editor, or do you do what I do and sketch it out first?
Thanks,
LComteVarauG

+ Show Spoiler +
personally, i get banned from tl
good luck to you though
"not enough rights"
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
February 23 2015 12:22 GMT
#3004
On February 23 2015 18:04 LComteVarauG wrote:
Hello all,
I was just wondering what are some techniques or approaches you guys have when designing a map's layout. Do you jump straight into the editor, or do you do what I do and sketch it out first?
Thanks,
LComteVarauG

I usually sketch it out on a piece of paper, with lines and shit to represent attack paths/drop paths/defender's movements/etc etc.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
February 23 2015 12:35 GMT
#3005
On February 23 2015 18:04 LComteVarauG wrote:
Hello all,
I was just wondering what are some techniques or approaches you guys have when designing a map's layout. Do you jump straight into the editor, or do you do what I do and sketch it out first?
Thanks,
LComteVarauG


sometimes I jump in the editor and just start scribbling there, but that rarely makes good maps, sometimes a new concept or idea comes out of it, but rarely as well.

to make whats imo a good map, you need to have a good concept or idea, they're more likely to come randomly than to try and force a new idea.

once there's a concept or idea, you can start thinking of ways to implement it, what other features would this synchronize well with, and what can be done in sc2.

now you have a full plan it's time to work it out in the editor, see if the proportions you have in mind can actualy be fitted in to shape the concept you want to achieve, and if not to try and find ways around it.

after you've drawn it out in the editor, the refining proces begins, has anything changed from the first concept that would make more sense now? what would make this map better etc.

that's when you start play testing, are the effects as desired? what can be done to fix seen effects?

after that you kick back to the refining proces, and repeat until you're satisfied.

now you move on to the art phase, what do you want your battlefield to represent? what feelings do you want it to give?
when you have selected a theme, you look for what fits in to it, what makes it feel more real?

and all that is usualy the proces I go through when making maps.
"Not you."
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
February 23 2015 13:14 GMT
#3006
On February 23 2015 18:04 LComteVarauG wrote:
Hello all,
I was just wondering what are some techniques or approaches you guys have when designing a map's layout. Do you jump straight into the editor, or do you do what I do and sketch it out first?
Thanks,
LComteVarauG

I would recommend just trying out different things and not get too attached to your original ideas. Don't hesitate to make big changes at any point in development

[image loading]
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
SwedenTheKid
Profile Joined July 2014
567 Posts
February 23 2015 19:08 GMT
#3007
Right now my WIP resembles a fusion of the BW maps Blue Storm and Overwatch, and I'm wondering whether I can just publish it admitting to using their maps as inspiration, or if I need to get the OK from the original map makers. It's not a port, but I don't want to break any terms of use or appear to be dishonest.
Casual Mapmaker
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
February 24 2015 07:47 GMT
#3008
Thanks guys!
Your answers were extremely helpful, and I went ahead and sketched out a new map, which I am quite pleased with:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
And G
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany491 Posts
February 25 2015 12:25 GMT
#3009
Is it okay to use the Niflheim lighting?
not a community mapmaker
derict
Profile Joined March 2015
United States3 Posts
March 01 2015 12:12 GMT
#3010
I new to both SC2 and Team Liquid, my question is how do I use some of these awesome custom maps???
Sholip
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
Hungary422 Posts
March 01 2015 16:10 GMT
#3011
On March 01 2015 21:12 derict wrote:
I new to both SC2 and Team Liquid, my question is how do I use some of these awesome custom maps???

Select Custom Game in the main menu, and you can search for the maps by their name.
"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. Also, Zest is best." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-02 11:53:56
March 02 2015 11:52 GMT
#3012
On March 01 2015 21:12 derict wrote:
I new to both SC2 and Team Liquid, my question is how do I use some of these awesome custom maps???

Melee maps to play (I assume that is what you mean) are available in both
custom games
and
arcade
via normal use of sc2 game

If you need/want to open the maps in the editor:
open the editor (it opens on a "default" map)
then select open
select where you want to look (blizzard platform/your own computer)
and open
(local files are in sc2/../Mod/ + Show Spoiler +
(not in Maps lol)
)
in case of blizzard file, it could take a while to showcase the list of uploaded maps on your screen
then open the map.. allow for download time
then save it on your own computer (names must be changed in document name and in map info / name
edit: save it in sc2/Mods/
then play with the map

have fun
"not enough rights"
SwedenTheKid
Profile Joined July 2014
567 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-04 02:25:14
March 04 2015 02:24 GMT
#3013
Is there a way to make neutral structures visible to players at the start of the game like rocks, while keeping it a melee map? There are a lot of things I can think of doing with neutral buildings/units but it would make it more legit if they were visible like rocks.
Casual Mapmaker
fluidrone
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
France1478 Posts
March 04 2015 10:00 GMT
#3014
On March 04 2015 11:24 SwedenTheKid wrote:
Is there a way to make neutral structures visible to players at the start of the game like rocks, while keeping it a melee map? There are a lot of things I can think of doing with neutral buildings/units but it would make it more legit if they were visible like rocks.

no, sorry + Show Spoiler +
the loss of the tag is problematic yes.. mostly because "melee" players like their self imposed blinkers
"not enough rights"
Tric
Profile Joined March 2015
United States21 Posts
March 04 2015 18:51 GMT
#3015
Hey everyone, I was wondering how to use the analyzer/terrain preview that I see a lot of maps put up. I can't for the life of me find out anywhere how to produce that image and timings. Thanks in advance.
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
March 04 2015 19:08 GMT
#3016
On March 05 2015 03:51 Tric wrote:
Hey everyone, I was wondering how to use the analyzer/terrain preview that I see a lot of maps put up. I can't for the life of me find out anywhere how to produce that image and timings. Thanks in advance.

I think most people use this?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/414326-map-analyser-tool
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Tric
Profile Joined March 2015
United States21 Posts
March 04 2015 19:47 GMT
#3017
On March 05 2015 04:08 The_Templar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2015 03:51 Tric wrote:
Hey everyone, I was wondering how to use the analyzer/terrain preview that I see a lot of maps put up. I can't for the life of me find out anywhere how to produce that image and timings. Thanks in advance.

I think most people use this?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/414326-map-analyser-tool



That would indeed be it! Thanks much! :D
Tric
Profile Joined March 2015
United States21 Posts
March 07 2015 23:57 GMT
#3018
Hey here I am for another question.

So I noticed in a lot of the tournaments from the past that they actually used 2v2 maps for a lot of the games. Is this common practice still or do they use the 1v1 ladder maps for tourneys more so? I tried to find an answer for this but there really isn't any concurrent evidence that says one way or the other (at least that I could find).

Gwavajuice
Profile Joined June 2014
France1810 Posts
March 10 2015 09:06 GMT
#3019
On March 08 2015 08:57 Tric wrote:
Hey here I am for another question.

So I noticed in a lot of the tournaments from the past that they actually used 2v2 maps for a lot of the games. Is this common practice still or do they use the 1v1 ladder maps for tourneys more so? I tried to find an answer for this but there really isn't any concurrent evidence that says one way or the other (at least that I could find).




what tournanments/maps are you referencing too? I m watching a lot of sc2 but never seen a 1v1 played on a 2v2 map...

Dear INno and all the former STX boys.
Gwavajuice
Profile Joined June 2014
France1810 Posts
March 10 2015 09:15 GMT
#3020
Heys guys I decided to try to make a map, but I m really bad, so I decided to take a blizzard map and see how I could edit it into a map that I'd like to play on (taht's how I discovered that wonderful symetric design tool, until now I was trying to copy and rotate stuff lol)

Anyway, when I remove some cliffs made by blizzard, they are a lof doodads or trees that I need to remove manually but even when it's done there are still some "red squares" on my grid (as opposed to green squares in a normal grid) :

- do these red squares prevent a player from building stuff on them?
- how do I add/remove this red squares?
- is there a simple way to totally erase an area (and what's on it) to redesign it from scratch again?


sorry it this is adressed in one of the tutorials, I haven't had the time to read them all yet...

(the map I choosed to edit is secret spring)
Dear INno and all the former STX boys.
Prev 1 149 150 151 152 153 182 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 813
Hyuk 545
soO 444
Mini 185
ZerO 121
Killer 58
Shinee 49
Mind 40
Mong 31
Bale 26
[ Show more ]
PianO 17
HiyA 16
ZergMaN 12
yabsab 10
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
XaKoH 761
XcaliburYe311
League of Legends
JimRising 462
Counter-Strike
byalli525
Other Games
olofmeister833
ceh9621
Happy350
Livibee171
crisheroes155
Mew2King67
ArmadaUGS53
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick605
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH393
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2289
League of Legends
• Jankos1166
• Rush1144
• Stunt401
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 29m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
2h 29m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.