• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:15
CEST 23:15
KST 06:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8654 users

Mafia Podcast! - Page 7

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 75 Next
MilkSuckler
Profile Joined February 2013
Swaziland597 Posts
March 08 2013 01:28 GMT
#121
On March 08 2013 10:12 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 10:04 MilkSuckler wrote:
How far away is night for you? i.e. how soon you looking at doing this

Im keen, but its 9am here!! (Friday)

In about 4-5 hours.

Do you feel comfortable enough with your english to do this kind of thing?

I am not sure what you mean by that?

+ With that timing, I cant dial in (I only wanted to listen)

But yeah, I live in an English =native language country...
Oatsmaster
Profile Joined October 2012
United States16628 Posts
March 08 2013 01:30 GMT
#122
On March 08 2013 10:28 MilkSuckler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 10:12 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On March 08 2013 10:04 MilkSuckler wrote:
How far away is night for you? i.e. how soon you looking at doing this

Im keen, but its 9am here!! (Friday)

In about 4-5 hours.

Do you feel comfortable enough with your english to do this kind of thing?

I am not sure what you mean by that?

+ With that timing, I cant dial in (I only wanted to listen)

But yeah, I live in an English =native language country...


No you live in Swaziland.

No gg, No skill.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 08 2013 01:38 GMT
#123
On March 08 2013 10:28 MilkSuckler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 10:12 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
On March 08 2013 10:04 MilkSuckler wrote:
How far away is night for you? i.e. how soon you looking at doing this

Im keen, but its 9am here!! (Friday)

In about 4-5 hours.

Do you feel comfortable enough with your english to do this kind of thing?

I am not sure what you mean by that?

+ With that timing, I cant dial in (I only wanted to listen)

But yeah, I live in an English =native language country...

Oh, here I was thinking you were actually in Swaziland.

If you want to listen, just listen when it's up!

Another imperative thing is that we assign roles:

1. Host - Keeps discussion moving forward, gets the other casters to chime in when appropriate
2. "Fact Checker" - Dives filters/threads looking for specific information that is relevant to discussion
3. Community Guy - Keeps an eye on the email looking for questions/comments

One specific question I want answers/ideas for (email to TLDoctorH@gmail.com) - What's the best way to get discussion rolling on Day 1?
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 08 2013 01:38 GMT
#124
I want in on this but not sure if I have a mic.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 08 2013 01:39 GMT
#125
On March 08 2013 10:38 VisceraEyes wrote:
I want in on this but not sure if I have a mic.

Do you have a smartphone that can get on skype?

We can also go tomorrow if people need some more time to prepare, I have the day off work.
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 08 2013 01:40 GMT
#126
I do at that - not used to this whole information age thing.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
March 08 2013 01:56 GMT
#127
here are some interesting questions... some of them were briefly mentioned yesterday

-games have been trending towards being longer and spammier... the threads often look like irc channels instead of forum threads. good, bad, neither?

-policy lynching. is it necessary? if not, what can you do to get people to play the way you want them to play? if it is necessary, then how do you go about it without ruining a game?

-there are lots of varying playstyles which often causes conflict between townies who see their way of playing the game as the only correct way. it's not as easy as pulling up a list of "scumtells," because townies often play "scummy." so what are the most common scumtells, which ones are the most reliable, least reliable, etc

-meta. good or bad? if you get players who play a ton of games together, they are going to be able to read each other extremely easily. is this an intended or desired part of the game?

-how the fuck do you run a newbie game without half the players quitting?

also I think it'd be a good idea to get people with opposing philosophies... that'd make for a much more entertaining show, rather than the same group of people agreeing with each other over everything, every episode
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Oatsmaster
Profile Joined October 2012
United States16628 Posts
March 08 2013 02:04 GMT
#128
Another question:

It seems like town has been stomping lately, Is scum play gettting worse? Or town play getting better? How would you try and solve this 'problem'.
No gg, No skill.
Corazon
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States3230 Posts
March 08 2013 02:27 GMT
#129
On March 08 2013 11:04 Oatsmaster wrote:
Another question:

It seems like town has been stomping lately, Is scum play gettting worse? Or town play getting better? How would you try and solve this 'problem'.


I don't think this is necessarily true.

Compare NMM 37 to Duel Mafia. One-sided wins for both sides.

NMM 33-37 was 3 town wins and 2 mafia wins if I recall correctly.
Grubby's #1 Fan
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 08 2013 02:41 GMT
#130
I guess we'll delay this until tomorrow, it'll be a bit much to throw together at the last minute today.
RIP Aaliyah
Oatsmaster
Profile Joined October 2012
United States16628 Posts
March 08 2013 02:55 GMT
#131
On March 08 2013 11:27 cDgCorazon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 11:04 Oatsmaster wrote:
Another question:

It seems like town has been stomping lately, Is scum play gettting worse? Or town play getting better? How would you try and solve this 'problem'.


I don't think this is necessarily true.

Compare NMM 37 to Duel Mafia. One-sided wins for both sides.

NMM 33-37 was 3 town wins and 2 mafia wins if I recall correctly.


Newbies dont count

No gg, No skill.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
March 08 2013 15:15 GMT
#132
There have been a lot of one-sided town wins recently. And a one-sided mafia win (LVIII).

The best games are the close games. Like Hero Mini Mafia, where both sides played pretty well and it was a genuine battle.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
March 08 2013 16:38 GMT
#133
On March 09 2013 00:15 marvellosity wrote:
There have been a lot of one-sided town wins recently. And a one-sided mafia win (LVIII).

The best games are the close games. Like Hero Mini Mafia, where both sides played pretty well and it was a genuine battle.

yeah think so too. Out of the last 5 games I had 4 ended up with a mafia lynch on d1 I think. Or 3 out of 4, I only know the one where I sheeped palmar d1 was the only one that didn't actually get mafia d1 in a loooong time. And before the pause I had we had the game with Matt claiming self-aware miller in a game without self-aware millers, so another d1 mafia lynch (though it's not in a row for you guys because as mentioned I was away from mafia for a bit after that).

The one game I mentioned, with palmar mislynching d1 and Supersoft being mafia really was the only decent game for mafia I saw in a long long time. So yeah, we probably need some more advice for mafias. After each and every game you're told what you did wrong as town and you can reflect on those things. It's hard to get those advices for mafias, especially considering that from a mafias point of view it highly depends on the situation you're in in that specific moment about wether the calls you're making are right, without the knowledge you have postgame. That makes it hard to reflect upon yourself as mafia even with advice because it's rarely applicable outside the vacum-situation you have when reading advices. Because again, it's usually not about making the right or wrong calls as mafia but more about wether you're able to make them in the situation you're in and that's just really hard to give advice for unless you're doing it live I guess.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
March 08 2013 16:58 GMT
#134
On March 09 2013 01:38 Toadesstern wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 00:15 marvellosity wrote:
There have been a lot of one-sided town wins recently. And a one-sided mafia win (LVIII).

The best games are the close games. Like Hero Mini Mafia, where both sides played pretty well and it was a genuine battle.

yeah think so too. Out of the last 5 games I had 4 ended up with a mafia lynch on d1 I think. Or 3 out of 4, I only know the one where I sheeped palmar d1 was the only one that didn't actually get mafia d1 in a loooong time. And before the pause I had we had the game with Matt claiming self-aware miller in a game without self-aware millers, so another d1 mafia lynch (though it's not in a row for you guys because as mentioned I was away from mafia for a bit after that).

The one game I mentioned, with palmar mislynching d1 and Supersoft being mafia really was the only decent game for mafia I saw in a long long time. So yeah, we probably need some more advice for mafias. After each and every game you're told what you did wrong as town and you can reflect on those things. It's hard to get those advices for mafias, especially considering that from a mafias point of view it highly depends on the situation you're in in that specific moment about wether the calls you're making are right, without the knowledge you have postgame. That makes it hard to reflect upon yourself as mafia even with advice because it's rarely applicable outside the vacum-situation you have when reading advices. Because again, it's usually not about making the right or wrong calls as mafia but more about wether you're able to make them in the situation you're in and that's just really hard to give advice for unless you're doing it live I guess.


yeah I pretty much agree. Playing mafia like you say is very situation-dependent. A lot of playing good scum, I think, is sensing where the thread is or what the thread sentiment is, or even more importantly maybe, is going to be shortly in the future. This is especially true for bussing decisions. Your mafiabuddy only has one or two votes. Question is, are you going to be able to save him, either with defence or a good case on someone else? The sooner you decide the better. And sometimes after the game you don't even know if you made the right choice!

Generally speaking mafia need to post more. Mafia need to grab some thread presence Day 1. Day 1 is really important. If you're not impactful in any way on Day 1, it's really really hard to grab influence later. And if a mafia team has no influence, then when things start going wrong (as they often do) you have no way to combat it because you're all unimportant. Far too many mafia teams these days are unable to push their agendas because none of them have any thread presence.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
March 08 2013 17:36 GMT
#135
On March 09 2013 01:58 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 01:38 Toadesstern wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:15 marvellosity wrote:
There have been a lot of one-sided town wins recently. And a one-sided mafia win (LVIII).

The best games are the close games. Like Hero Mini Mafia, where both sides played pretty well and it was a genuine battle.

yeah think so too. Out of the last 5 games I had 4 ended up with a mafia lynch on d1 I think. Or 3 out of 4, I only know the one where I sheeped palmar d1 was the only one that didn't actually get mafia d1 in a loooong time. And before the pause I had we had the game with Matt claiming self-aware miller in a game without self-aware millers, so another d1 mafia lynch (though it's not in a row for you guys because as mentioned I was away from mafia for a bit after that).

The one game I mentioned, with palmar mislynching d1 and Supersoft being mafia really was the only decent game for mafia I saw in a long long time. So yeah, we probably need some more advice for mafias. After each and every game you're told what you did wrong as town and you can reflect on those things. It's hard to get those advices for mafias, especially considering that from a mafias point of view it highly depends on the situation you're in in that specific moment about wether the calls you're making are right, without the knowledge you have postgame. That makes it hard to reflect upon yourself as mafia even with advice because it's rarely applicable outside the vacum-situation you have when reading advices. Because again, it's usually not about making the right or wrong calls as mafia but more about wether you're able to make them in the situation you're in and that's just really hard to give advice for unless you're doing it live I guess.


yeah I pretty much agree. Playing mafia like you say is very situation-dependent. A lot of playing good scum, I think, is sensing where the thread is or what the thread sentiment is, or even more importantly maybe, is going to be shortly in the future. This is especially true for bussing decisions. Your mafiabuddy only has one or two votes. Question is, are you going to be able to save him, either with defence or a good case on someone else? The sooner you decide the better. And sometimes after the game you don't even know if you made the right choice!

Generally speaking mafia need to post more. Mafia need to grab some thread presence Day 1. Day 1 is really important. If you're not impactful in any way on Day 1, it's really really hard to grab influence later. And if a mafia team has no influence, then when things start going wrong (as they often do) you have no way to combat it because you're all unimportant. Far too many mafia teams these days are unable to push their agendas because none of them have any thread presence.

yeah d1 performance from mafias are really bad these days and I have to include myself in there due to laziness in my last game as mafia as well I guess :p

It's incredibly hard to be wrong on a townread as a townie, like really hard unless you're in that one game you have once a year where literally everything you say is just flat out wrong. Being wrong on a townread really shouldn't ever happen and the way games go you usually have at least 50% of the game figured out as town with a likeliness of everyone in that group really being town high enough to bet your own balls on them being town. You probably will have more than 50% down as town pretty easily in most games on d1. That leaves a bunch of randoms who didn't perform well and mafias in the group called "the rest" and it's really not that hard to find mafia based on that knowledge + some basic reads even without reading the thread.
That's basicly how every single game turns out to be except for very few exceptions nowadays and a mafia actually looking townish or leading town is a very rare situation these days when in fact it is really easy to look good, especially on d1
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
wherebugsgo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Japan10647 Posts
March 08 2013 18:50 GMT
#136
sup y'all, I have a great (IMO) discussion topic and I think we could make a good long productive talk around it alone.

I'd definitely like to be there for this one, so if whoever is gonna organize this could let me know when it's gonna be and whatnot that'd be great (I assume Dr. H)

I'm excited to hear/discuss opinions ^^
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 08 2013 18:55 GMT
#137
Fake-claims. When to do them, how to do them.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 08 2013 18:55 GMT
#138
I'm aiming for about 7-8PM PST.

I tried to do a little solocast this morning but after about 10 minutes I just lose my train of thought.
RIP Aaliyah
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 08 2013 18:56 GMT
#139
I can think of several town-aligned reasons to fake-claim. That would be an hilarious topic.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 08 2013 18:58 GMT
#140
Actually just lying in general. Why LAL is the stupidest policy ever imagined.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 274
SteadfastSC 103
Nina 96
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2422
910 62
Bale 12
Super Smash Bros
PPMD47
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1064
Other Games
summit1g6774
Grubby2343
shahzam573
ToD242
C9.Mang0184
UpATreeSC58
Liquid`Ken2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 72
• Hupsaiya 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 34
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21023
League of Legends
• TFBlade562
Other Games
• imaqtpie885
• Shiphtur294
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 45m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
13h 45m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.