• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:35
CEST 20:35
KST 03:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9018 users

Dwarf Fortress Mini Mafia - Page 10

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 34 Next All
Keirathi
Profile Joined May 2012
United States4679 Posts
August 08 2012 00:02 GMT
#181
EBWOP: ninja'd
My dear friend if I have gone pants on head, you have gone socks on ears!!! -ShiaoPi
Forumite
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden3280 Posts
August 08 2012 00:36 GMT
#182
On innocent child:
Maybe claim if we have the Tracker, but not D1. Maybe D2 or D3.

@sciberbia
Fair enough, we´ve talked too much about the innocent child and need to scumhunt. Any tips on where to start?
Also, did you write your first post with all the policy in advance?
:3
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 01:07 GMT
#183
On August 08 2012 09:36 Forumite wrote:
@sciberbia
Fair enough, we´ve talked too much about the innocent child and need to scumhunt. Any tips on where to start?
Also, did you write your first post with all the policy in advance?

@Forumite
Yes, I have some tips on where to start. See my next post.

And no, I didn't start actually writing my first post until I read my role PM. But I've been thinking a lot about the setup ever since I /in'd, and I outlined everything I wanted to say on some scratch paper (I was planning on making the same post regardless of my role). I didn't want to be too late for work this morning lol.
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 01:08 GMT
#184
OK I've made brief notes on everybody. Here are the people I find sketchiest so far:

Shiaopi
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

I agree with Forumite that this post seems off. Shiaopi is no vet, yet he starts off the thread with this bravado, confidence, and authority. It just doesn't seem to fit with the more reserved Shiaopi I remember from NMM XIV. I see this post as a conscious attempt to look bold, which fits in more with scum goals than town goals.

+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 05:39 ShiaoPi wrote:
@HiroPro:
Seeing as you seem to want a tracker to claim at some point, how do you plan to confirm him (like an innocent child would be)? I don't think we would get mod-confirmation for a tracker and therefore scum could fakeclaim just as well. Kind of defeats the entire purpose you had when you try to confirm a townie via claiming.


On August 08 2012 06:28 ShiaoPi wrote:
@risk:
It's more the general concept of Hiro to use a tracker claim as means of confirming town that I am against, not against claiming in general, but scum can easily counterclaim so it won't work that way.


Shiaopi's analysis of HiroPro's innocent child proposal really doesn't sit well with me. He objects to the innocent child plan on the grounds that the tracker wouldn't even be confirmed town because scum might counterclaim.

On August 08 2012 06:36 ShiaoPi wrote:
While it would be sub-optimal play for scum to trade 1 for 1 that early, you cannot dismiss the possibility.


This is the part I have an issue with. He admits that it would actually be suboptimal for scum to counterclaim, but says that you should consider the possibility anyway.

This suggests to me that he was just nitpicking the plan for the sake of nitpicking the plan. Why would townie Shiaopi object to a plan on the grounds that scum will play suboptimally and defeat the plan? Shouldn't he be assuming scum plays optimally? I'd really like other people's opinions on this point, because I might be biased by my own view of the innocent child proposal.

prplhz
On August 08 2012 06:43 prplhz wrote:
Too weak?

Callign ShiaoPi out for nothing and now you are actually complaining about the setup, in a game that already started. What exactly are you trying to do?

This post seems sketchy. He is basically just criticizing Fortumite's play for the sake of criticizing Fortumite's play. This isn't constructive in any way -- prplhz doesn't say or even directly imply that Fortumite is scummy.

Forumite
I'm surprised nobody is calling out Forumite as I write this. His wishy/washy suspicions on Shiaopi are clearly sketchy:

+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 00:46 Forumite wrote:
I think ShiaoPi is a Goblin

On August 08 2012 01:09 Forumite wrote:
I´d prefer not to discuss my read yet though, I hope you understand.

On August 08 2012 06:07 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 05:38 prplhz wrote:
Hey didn't read thread yet can anybody tell me who is scum?

Yay, prplhz!

ShiaoPi looks like scum, just read the few introposts.

On August 08 2012 06:37 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 06:08 marvellosity wrote:
On August 08 2012 06:07 Forumite wrote:
On August 08 2012 05:38 prplhz wrote:
Hey didn't read thread yet can anybody tell me who is scum?

Yay, prplhz!

ShiaoPi looks like scum, just read the few introposts.


don't be insidious, explain why you find them scummy or shut up about it.
Okay. It´s based on the first post, quoted below:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

When I read that I see someone who is rushing a greeting to show that he´s here, doesn´t say anything on his own views and wants to shut down policydiscussion. It´s the very first post of the game, and he wants us to NOT talk about the only thing there is to talk about.

On August 08 2012 07:00 Forumite wrote:
On ShiaoPi, I wanted to see if my scumsenses were working after my break with a quick read. No, I´m not convinced he´s scum.



Seems like he makes a falsely confident read, voices a falsely confident case, and then backs off when marv and prplhz call him out on it.


I'd appreciate some thoughts on any of the points I brought up.
Forumite
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden3280 Posts
August 08 2012 01:39 GMT
#185
On me
HiroPro called me out too.
I agree that my case was bad and that it makes me look bad, but I object to one thing; I´m always falsely confident of my bad reads.

On prplhz
Right now I´m in danger of falling into the OMGUS-trap, because the only thing I´ve gotten from him is the greeting and him calling me out. prplhz calling me out makes me think there´s something wrong with MY play, which makes prplhz a nulltell.
:3
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 01:43 GMT
#186
@forumite
Can you more fully explain your initial read on shiaopi, your current read on shiaopi, and why your read has changed? That last post makes it look like you have completely thrown out your initial suspicions on shiaopi. Is this solely because people such as prplhz have disagreed with you?
Forumite
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden3280 Posts
August 08 2012 02:11 GMT
#187
On August 08 2012 10:43 sciberbia wrote:
@forumite
Can you more fully explain your initial read on shiaopi, your current read on shiaopi, and why your read has changed? That last post makes it look like you have completely thrown out your initial suspicions on shiaopi. Is this solely because people such as prplhz have disagreed with you?

Initial read:
On August 08 2012 06:37 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

When I read that I see someone who is rushing a greeting to show that he´s here, doesn´t say anything on his own views and wants to shut down policydiscussion. It´s the very first post of the game, and he wants us to NOT talk about the only thing there is to talk about.
Basically I thought I saw some kind of anti-town motivation here. I´ve gotten good reads from initial posts in other games, so I thought I had found something here.

Current read:
Nullread. I´ve thrown out my initial scumread, it was probably just the one odd post, especially as ShiaoPi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post. I changed my mind because I knew I wasn´t getting anywhere. I didn´t have much to start with, and I got conflicting reads the first time I reexamined the case. That HiroPro, marvel and prplhz spoke up against me making accusations and/or against the actual case mattered a lot too, because I doubted my read if none of the other "veterans" agreed, and because I didn´t want to distract the thread more than I had allready done.

That´s about it, I´m back to square one on ShiaoPi.
:3
Keirathi
Profile Joined May 2012
United States4679 Posts
August 08 2012 03:28 GMT
#188
On August 08 2012 11:11 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 10:43 sciberbia wrote:
@forumite
Can you more fully explain your initial read on shiaopi, your current read on shiaopi, and why your read has changed? That last post makes it look like you have completely thrown out your initial suspicions on shiaopi. Is this solely because people such as prplhz have disagreed with you?

Initial read:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 06:37 Forumite wrote:
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

When I read that I see someone who is rushing a greeting to show that he´s here, doesn´t say anything on his own views and wants to shut down policydiscussion. It´s the very first post of the game, and he wants us to NOT talk about the only thing there is to talk about.
Basically I thought I saw some kind of anti-town motivation here. I´ve gotten good reads from initial posts in other games, so I thought I had found something here.

Current read:
Nullread. I´ve thrown out my initial scumread, it was probably just the one odd post, especially as ShiaoPi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post. I changed my mind because I knew I wasn´t getting anywhere. I didn´t have much to start with, and I got conflicting reads the first time I reexamined the case. That HiroPro, marvel and prplhz spoke up against me making accusations and/or against the actual case mattered a lot too, because I doubted my read if none of the other "veterans" agreed, and because I didn´t want to distract the thread more than I had allready done.

That´s about it, I´m back to square one on ShiaoPi.

So do you think for yourself, or are you going to let HiroPro, marv, and prplhz do the thinking for you for the rest of the game as well?

Do I think your initial read was suspicious? Maybe a tiny bit. It was really early, but at least you were taking a solid stand.

I understand changing your mind can happen. I've changed my mind a lot in the past. But your reasoning for changing your mind is bogus. "Because the 'vets' questioned me" is just flat out boggling.
My dear friend if I have gone pants on head, you have gone socks on ears!!! -ShiaoPi
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 03:51 GMT
#189
@keirathi
I'm glad you find Forumite's explanation suspicious as well, because I don't think I've ever felt this good about a scumread after only 12 hours of D1. I'm planning on writing a sizeable case against him as soon as I finish playing my evening starcraft.

If you're still online, can you tell you me if you agree with anything I said about shiaopi?
Keirathi
Profile Joined May 2012
United States4679 Posts
August 08 2012 04:07 GMT
#190
Ok:

On August 08 2012 10:08 sciberbia wrote:
Shiaopi
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

I agree with Forumite that this post seems off. Shiaopi is no vet, yet he starts off the thread with this bravado, confidence, and authority. It just doesn't seem to fit with the more reserved Shiaopi I remember from NMM XIV. I see this post as a conscious attempt to look bold, which fits in more with scum goals than town goals.

I dunno if I buy this point very much. Its been what...3, maybe 4? months since XIV. I didn't go back to check, but assuming his gameplay hasn't changed in that amount of time. I would expect someone to get more confident the longer the are around mafia games. Hell, I've gradually gotten more confident in just the last month of being around TLMafia.

On August 08 2012 10:08 sciberbia wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 05:39 ShiaoPi wrote:
@HiroPro:
Seeing as you seem to want a tracker to claim at some point, how do you plan to confirm him (like an innocent child would be)? I don't think we would get mod-confirmation for a tracker and therefore scum could fakeclaim just as well. Kind of defeats the entire purpose you had when you try to confirm a townie via claiming.


On August 08 2012 06:28 ShiaoPi wrote:
@risk:
It's more the general concept of Hiro to use a tracker claim as means of confirming town that I am against, not against claiming in general, but scum can easily counterclaim so it won't work that way.


Shiaopi's analysis of HiroPro's innocent child proposal really doesn't sit well with me. He objects to the innocent child plan on the grounds that the tracker wouldn't even be confirmed town because scum might counterclaim.

Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 06:36 ShiaoPi wrote:
While it would be sub-optimal play for scum to trade 1 for 1 that early, you cannot dismiss the possibility.


This is the part I have an issue with. He admits that it would actually be suboptimal for scum to counterclaim, but says that you should consider the possibility anyway.

This suggests to me that he was just nitpicking the plan for the sake of nitpicking the plan. Why would townie Shiaopi object to a plan on the grounds that scum will play suboptimally and defeat the plan? Shouldn't he be assuming scum plays optimally? I'd really like other people's opinions on this point, because I might be biased by my own view of the innocent child proposal.

You're right. We *SHOULD* assume that mafia are going to play optimally. However, I can't find any scum motive by saying they might play suboptimally. Maybe you could clarify why you think its scummy?

Nitpicking just to nitpick is suspicious, but I've seen tons of townies do it too. Not sure if its enough for me to think he is scum yet, but enough that I'll keep a closer eye on him.
My dear friend if I have gone pants on head, you have gone socks on ears!!! -ShiaoPi
Keirathi
Profile Joined May 2012
United States4679 Posts
August 08 2012 04:08 GMT
#191
EBWOP: I didn't go back to check, but assuming his gameplay hasn't changed in that amount of time is folly
My dear friend if I have gone pants on head, you have gone socks on ears!!! -ShiaoPi
Custos Luna
Profile Joined August 2012
United States96 Posts
August 08 2012 04:18 GMT
#192
hmm, had less time than i anticipated tonight, can't do much heavy analysis.

shiaopi triggers my scumdar.
prplhz raised an eyebrow, but i keep looking

night - gotta go protect the moon
We are the guardians of the moon, foes to the sun. Embrace the heresy.
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 06:52 GMT
#193
my case on Forumite. Sorry for the length, but I think it's worth a thorough read.

His read on shiaopi (the logical inconsistencies)


1) Why didn't he explain his initial read on shiaopi?+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 00:46 Forumite wrote:
I think shiaopi is a Goblin

On August 08 2012 01:09 Forumite wrote:
I´d prefer not to discuss my read yet though, I hope you understand.

On August 08 2012 03:17 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 01:12 shiaopi wrote:
Well, I understand if you understand me not taking it serious at all then.

That´s okay, you are more likely to scumslip if you don´t think there´s any danger.


If Forumite wanted shiaopi to feel a sense of security, why did Forumite voice his suspicions of shiaopi at all? I see no good explanation for why Forumite voiced his suspicions, but would not explain them. I find it suspicious that Forumite tried to provide townie motivation for his behavior, but it didn't really make sense.


2) What exactly did Forumite find scummy about shiaopi?+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 06:37 Forumite wrote:
Okay. It´s based on the first post, quoted below:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 shiaopi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

When I read that I see someone who is rushing a greeting to show that he´s here, doesn´t say anything on his own views and wants to shut down policydiscussion. It´s the very first post of the game, and he wants us to NOT talk about the only thing there is to talk about.


When I asked Forumite to explain precisely why he has changed his mind about shiaopi, Forumite said this:
On August 08 2012 11:11 Forumite wrote:
Current read:
Nullread. I´ve thrown out my initial scumread, it was probably just the one odd post, especially as shiaopi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post.


What I gather from this is that:
-- Forumite's main beef with shiaopi was shiaopi's stance on policy discussion
-- Forumite later decided to null this suspicion because shiaopi showed willingness to discuss the setup

This logic is dubious to me, but what I find really suspicious is that Forumite continued to talk about his bold, red scumread on shiaopi even after shiaopi made some posts about setup and policy. The timing doesn't match up.

Here are the relevant posts in chronological order:+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 00:46 Forumite wrote:
I think shiaopi is a Goblin

On August 08 2012 00:51 shiaopi wrote:
@scib:

I can agree with your thoughts about the roleclaims, but I have a question about the 1+ Lynches.
In your 2nd example you say that we can get an extralynch off if we lynch 2 instead of 1 at 6 vs 1
wouldn't it end still in 2 cycles as the night following a double mislynch would be 4-1. with the subsequent nighthit it gets to 3-1 and another mislynch ends the game as it will be 1-1 after the NK.
Just my maths being wrong or an oversight from your side?


On August 08 2012 00:55 shiaopi wrote:
Watcher/Tracker are probably weaker than DT. Speculating on them being in the possible setups does not get us far though imo. Maybe for balance purposes but as marv points out the watcher at least has 2 things to watch.

On August 08 2012 00:58 shiaopi wrote:
Ah so another doublelynch instead of a single one. Makes sense now.

On August 08 2012 05:39 shiaopi wrote:
@HiroPro:
Seeing as you seem to want a tracker to claim at some point, how do you plan to confirm him (like an innocent child would be)? I don't think we would get mod-confirmation for a tracker and therefore scum could fakeclaim just as well. Kind of defeats the entire purpose you had when you try to confirm a townie via claiming.

On August 08 2012 05:54 shiaopi wrote:
So your scenario would not differ much from a standard claim and therefore it should be examined and then judged based on the situation and not just accepted (like child claim would be), would be too easy for scum then.
Too bad I thought you found a way to circumvent the gamerules to modconfirm a tracker

On August 08 2012 06:07 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 05:38 prplhz wrote:
Hey didn't read thread yet can anybody tell me who is scum?

Yay, prplhz!

shiaopi looks like scum, just read the few introposts.

On August 08 2012 06:21 shiaopi wrote:
But stilll there is no need for him to claim. Just with his presence it would let our doc work much easier as scum cannot do too many RB's with his potential check. Do not see the need to lynch both claimers, just evaluate on the claims independently,I dislike both options , whether it is giving it a freepass or lynching.

On August 08 2012 06:36 shiaopi wrote:
While it would be sub-optimal play for scum to trade 1 for 1 that early, you cannot dismiss the possibility.

On the other hand I could see it working out for the better if he claims as early as you suggest. He would leave scum fishing for the doc between the other townies.

On August 08 2012 06:37 Forumite wrote:Okay. It´s based on the first post, quoted below:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 shiaopi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

When I read that I see someone who is rushing a greeting to show that he´s here, doesn´t say anything on his own views and wants to shut down policydiscussion. It´s the very first post of the game, and he wants us to NOT talk about the only thing there is to talk about.

...
On August 08 2012 11:11 Forumite wrote:
Current read:
Nullread. I´ve thrown out my initial scumread, it was probably just the one odd post, especially as shiaopi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post.


To recap
1) shiaopi is aganist discussing setup/policy
2) Forumite finds shiaopi very suspicious for not discussing setup/policy
3) shiaopi discusses a good deal of setup/policy
4) Forumite still finds shiaopi quite suspicious
...
5) Forumite no longer finds shiaopi suspicious because of the posts shiaopi made in phase (3)

I trust you can all see the inconsistency here. In Forumite's explanation to me on why he has retracted his suspicions on shiaopi, Forumite references that "shiaopi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post".

But this did not stop Forumite from telling prplhz all about how shiaopi is scum. And I don't believe for a second that Forumite wasn't paying close attention to shiaopi's posts after he stuck his neck out and accused shiaopi.

I see a significant contradiction here.


3) Why exactly did Forumite change his mind on shiaopi?+ Show Spoiler +

This post took him 28 minuts to come up with after I asked him to more fully explain why he changed his opinion on shiaopi:
On August 08 2012 11:11 Forumite wrote:
Current read:
Nullread. I´ve thrown out my initial scumread, it was probably just the one odd post, especially as shiaopi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup just a few posts after the initial incriminating post. I changed my mind because I knew I wasn´t getting anywhere. I didn´t have much to start with, and I got conflicting reads the first time I reexamined the case. That HiroPro, marvel and prplhz spoke up against me making accusations and/or against the actual case mattered a lot too, because I doubted my read if none of the other "veterans" agreed, and because I didn´t want to distract the thread more than I had allready done.

That´s about it, I´m back to square one on shiaopi.


OK so let me break this down:
1) shiaopi showed that he was willing to discuss the setup -- I discussed my issues with this logic previously
2) Forumite knew he wasn't getting anywhere -- This means nothing to me
3) Forumite didn't have much to start with and got conflicting reads -- That's not what it sounded like when he told prplhz how shiaopi is scum
4) The vets didn't agree

This last point about the vets I find especially bad. Forumite references marv, HiroPro, and prplhz

marv
On August 08 2012 06:08 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 06:07 Forumite wrote:
On August 08 2012 05:38 prplhz wrote:
Hey didn't read thread yet can anybody tell me who is scum?

Yay, prplhz!

shiaopi looks like scum, just read the few introposts.


don't be insidious, explain why you find them scummy or shut up about it.

This is all marv says on shiaopi. Marv doesn't actually give any read on shiaopi whatsoever. Marv merely expresses displeasure at Forumite's behavior. This does not count as 'disagreeing with the case'

HiroPro
On August 08 2012 05:00 HiroPro wrote:
(directed at Mordanis)
What do you think of Forumite witholding his reason for thinking Shiao is scum?

On August 08 2012 06:49 HiroPro wrote:
Forumite, what do you make of the fact that Shiao has been willing to discuss the setup right after that?

In the first quote, HiroPro casts some doubt on Forumite's behavior, but doesn't address shiaopi at all. In the second quote, unless I'm mistaken, HiroPro is actually supporting the idea that shiaopi is scum, by showing how shiaopi has contradicted his own distaste for discussing setup/policy. HiroPro certainly doesn't "disagree" with the case in any way.

prplhz
On August 08 2012 06:43 prplhz wrote:
Too weak?

Callign shiaopi out for nothing and now you are actually complaining about the setup, in a game that already started. What exactly are you trying to do?


prplhz does think that Forumite's case on shiaopi is bad, but like Keirathi said, why on earth is Forumite taking prplhz's opinion into account here? First of all, prplhz has done nothing to convince anyone that he is town. And secondly, prplhz doesn't even explain why the case on shiaopi is bad.

Put yourself in Forumite's shoes:
1) You have a scumread on shiaopi that you feel good enough about to announce to the thread
2) some vet comes into the thread and calls you an idiot but doesn't justify himself
3) You conclude that you must have been wrong about your scumread???

It just doesn't follow. See his thoughts on prplhz here:
On August 08 2012 10:39 Forumite wrote:
On prplhz
Right now I´m in danger of falling into the OMGUS-trap, because the only thing I´ve gotten from him is the greeting and him calling me out. prplhz calling me out makes me think there´s something wrong with MY play, which makes prplhz a nulltell.


I have a hard time believing that this would be any townie's reaction to essentially being called an idiot with no justification given.



Other scummy points

the way in which he discredits his own reads+ Show Spoiler +

On August 08 2012 10:39 Forumite wrote:
On me
HiroPro called me out too.
I agree that my case was bad and that it makes me look bad, but I object to one thing; I´m always falsely confident of my bad reads.


I find this response suspicious. It looks like he is trying to garner sympathy and not inflate the issue.

I don't know why a townie would call his own cases bad and cast doubt on his own scumhunting ability.


he seems scared of marv, prplhz, me + Show Spoiler +

Not sure if all of this really fits under the term buddying, but I get the feeling that he is playing a bit scared of influential players:

marv
-- Forumite explains his read on shiaopi only when demanded by marv
-- "I agree with marvellosity, not tracking nightkills make the Tracker and Watcher too weak."
-- changes his read on shiaopi based on opinion of vet marv

prplhz
His interactions with prplhz seem really odd. It's like he worships prplhz. I looked through Forumite's D1 of Wheel of Fortune, where Forumite was scum and spent some time defending prplhz, so I find this especially suspicious.

On August 08 2012 06:07 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 05:38 prplhz wrote:
Hey didn't read thread yet can anybody tell me who is scum?

Yay, prplhz!

shiaopi looks like scum, just read the few introposts.

-- backs off his read on shiaopi after scolded by prplhz
-- concludes that he himself must be playing bad because prplhz thinks he is scummy

me
On August 08 2012 09:36 Forumite wrote:

@sciberbia
Fair enough, we´ve talked too much about the innocent child and need to scumhunt. Any tips on where to start?

On August 08 2012 10:39 Forumite wrote:
On me
HiroPro called me out too.
I agree that my case was bad and that it makes me look bad, but I object to one thing; I´m always falsely confident of my bad reads.




It's actually remarkable how much of his filter I take issue with considering we are like 15 hours into D1. As I've been writing this case, I have a pretty good feeling about it. The only thing that really makes me hesitate is it seems almost too obvious, and that no scum would be so obvious on D1. Forumite doesn't seem like a bad/noob player, and I think he made it to the end of Wheel of Fortune as scum.

I really want opinions on this case. If you are online, please post your thoughts.

I think Forumite is more likely scum than not, and he is far and away my top scum candidate at this point, so

##Vote Forumite
slOosh
Profile Joined October 2009
3291 Posts
August 08 2012 07:00 GMT
#194
Hey guys, didn't anticipate the early deadline so yea ...

Anyways, any of the blue roles can be used to the "innocent child" effect. Scum are extremely limited in their ability to fakeclaim because it is a blue-wise open setup (we might not know the 2nd blue identity but we can still cc any blue claim instantly). I recommend whoever is blue to consider this and not hastily throw away a potential advantage here by claiming early (mainly tracker but same thing extends to watcher/cop).

No go on double lynch. Too exploitable / volatile in a game this small.

On August 08 2012 03:34 Mordanis wrote:
I actually disagree that talking policy early on is bad. It is only bad when the policy talk tells scum how to get off free. "We will only lynch active players" tells scum that they can get one or two players to the late-game with as little content to hold against them as possible. On a similar note, it's probably not a good idea to discuss your heuristics for finding scum until you find examples of them in people's play. If you start talking about them right now, unless you list 173 of them, scum probably will actively avoid fitting your heuristic, thus ruining your chance of finding scum.
On August 08 2012 05:23 Mordanis wrote:
Wow, Forumite's accusation came much earlier than I expected. All Shiao had done was come out as anti-policy, and then when pressed came out against lying and lurking. What in that is scummy, I have no idea. I think its clear that Forumite has some type of plan hatching, but until we find out what the plan is, his early accusation is sort of weightless. It could be an attempt to draw scum out or to force townie mistakes in order to mislynch.

Hey Mordanis, could you explain this contradiction? If this was an attempt to draw scum out, you have now just alerted them all with the second post, which goes against what you said in the first post. You said you are currently null on Forumite yet it seems like you are leaning a certain direction in your read of him.
slOosh
Profile Joined October 2009
3291 Posts
August 08 2012 07:35 GMT
#195
Read sciberbia's case and it's pretty good - there are some clear inconsistencies in Forumite's play, and he does seem to be "taking the temperature" of the thread according to player sentiments. I'd disagree with some of your interpretations of said players' intentions but it doesn't change the fact of Forumite's reactionary play. It could possibly be a result of lowered confidence in play due to a period of inactivity, so I'll be waiting to see how he responds to it.

I do, however, have a question with one of your prior posts:
On August 08 2012 10:08 sciberbia wrote:
OK I've made brief notes on everybody. Here are the people I find sketchiest so far:

Shiaopi
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 00:08 ShiaoPi wrote:
Well well, let's get started!
Skip policytalking, we all know lurkers suck, you should not lie etc. etc. LiquidTomb's fallen demand justice, so let's go hammer some goblins.

I agree with Forumite that this post seems off. Shiaopi is no vet, yet he starts off the thread with this bravado, confidence, and authority. It just doesn't seem to fit with the more reserved Shiaopi I remember from NMM XIV. I see this post as a conscious attempt to look bold, which fits in more with scum goals than town goals.

Here you take issue with the same post that your case on Forumite is based off. What are your current thoughts on ShiaoPi, and how do they play in relation with Forumite?
sciberbia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1359 Posts
August 08 2012 08:04 GMT
#196
On August 08 2012 16:35 slOosh wrote:
Here you take issue with the same post that your case on Forumite is based off. What are your current thoughts on ShiaoPi, and how do they play in relation with Forumite?


@sloOsh
Earlier, I pointed out two things in Shiaopi's filter that I feel are a cause for concern. Nothing in his filter jumps out at me as especially townie-looking, so overall I'm slightly suspicious of Shiaopi.

My personal views on shiaopi's posts don't really factor into my case on Forumite at all. I'm not saying Forumite is scummy because he made a bad case on a townie looking player. Rather, I think Forumite is scummy (in part) due to inconsistencies in the way in which he presented his case, explained his case, and backed down from his case. His first actual points about shiaopi's first post seem reasonable IMO, although I think he overstates their importance by calling shiaopi scum.

I'm not sure if you are trying to ask if I think Shiaopi and Forumite can both be scum, but the answer would be that I'm not really thinking about them that way right now. Forumite looks rather suspicious to me regardless of Shiaopi's alignment.
Forumite
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden3280 Posts
August 08 2012 08:45 GMT
#197
On August 08 2012 16:35 slOosh wrote:
Read sciberbia's case and it's pretty good - there are some clear inconsistencies in Forumite's play, and he does seem to be "taking the temperature" of the thread according to player sentiments. I'd disagree with some of your interpretations of said players' intentions but it doesn't change the fact of Forumite's reactionary play. It could possibly be a result of lowered confidence in play due to a period of inactivity, so I'll be waiting to see how he responds to it.
I think it went like;
"Hey guys, ShiaoPi looks scum to me! Let´s pressure him!"
"Nah, I don´t see it, let´s not pressure him."
"Oh, okay, nevermind then."

Continuing without revealing what I initially felt was scummy would have derailed the thread, and once I did reveal my "case" and reexamined it, it felt silly, weak and premature to me too. Even my first post accusing ShiaoPi of being scum was premature, it would have been better to take that initial read as a sign to watch ShiaoPi more closely, but at the time I wanted to create some pressure.
:3
Forumite
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden3280 Posts
August 08 2012 08:48 GMT
#198
Hey, Custos Luna! You are supposed to be a well-known Veteran, what are your reads on the game so far, apart from weak suspicion on prplhz and ShiaoPi?
:3
ShiaoPi
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
TAIWAN NUMBAH WAN5956 Posts
August 08 2012 10:00 GMT
#199
I just read sciberbia's case on Forumite, while it has merit, I am unsure of him being scum. I can also see the early scumread on me simply as an early attempt to get some discussion/pressure going, he succeeded in that regard for sure. Regarding the logical inconsistencies they are a concern, but for now I would just like to keep an eye on him.

@Custos
I would really like you to contribute more. All you have done until now is pointing out a rather silly (read almost nonexistent) contradiction in one of sciberbia's posts and voicing some concern regarding me and prphlz. Mind elaborating why?

Currently I am having an issue with Mordanis:

Take a look at his opening post:

+ Show Spoiler +
On August 08 2012 03:34 Mordanis wrote:
I actually disagree that talking policy early on is bad. It is only bad when the policy talk tells scum how to get off free. "We will only lynch active players" tells scum that they can get one or two players to the late-game with as little content to hold against them as possible. On a similar note, it's probably not a good idea to discuss your heuristics for finding scum until you find examples of them in people's play. If you start talking about them right now, unless you list 173 of them, scum probably will actively avoid fitting your heuristic, thus ruining your chance of finding scum. Discussing when/how to use novel mechanics is simply a rational thing to do early in the game, though. Personally, I haven't had too much time to think about when/how to use the double lynch mechanic, but I can say that in my experience it happens fairly often that neither candidate up for lynching D1 is scum, and going from 9 town 3 scum D1 to 6 town 3 scum D2 would be pretty brutal. In short, I am strongly against D1 multi-lynching unless something very convincing happens to change my mind. Aside from that, the only other bit of policy I have to offer is that we should probably wait until night to discuss power roles, NKs, etc. During the day, all that really matters (in the absence of Day-vigis) is town/mafia. Daytime is for hunting scum, not deciding power role strategy. Enough with the policy now, I'm off to find scum.


He is against cutting policy talk short and proceeds to do a good amount of it. The next sentence marks Mord as anti-lurker, but then he says that policy-talk should not be done, since it gives scum a pattern to avoid. But then he goes back to say that policytalk is useful based on the ground that there is nothing else to be done.

This entire paragraph is extremely redundant and makes me think of him trying to boost the look of his filter by seemingly contributing in a circular logic pattern.

His next two posts are hitting Custos, he questions why he quotes that part of scib.

+ Show Spoiler +
On August 08 2012 04:26 Mordanis wrote:
-snip-
Funnily enough, the first person I'd like to ask a question is Mr. CL himself. In a way, Sciberbia's post telling people not to claim VT doesn't make any sense, especially when he comes out and says that he's a dwarf. On the other hand though, I don't see why you called out that illogical passage. Are you implying that bad logic is scummy? Or are you just poking fun at him?


He is again extremely wishy-washy. Just look at it, first he critisizes scib for claiming alignment (which is pretty much a nulltell in my opinion), but then he also "does not see" how that could be called out. When Hiro says that it is a nulltell and differentiates between alignment claim and VT claim Mord responds like this:

+ Show Spoiler +
On August 08 2012 04:35 Mordanis wrote:
He is still implying that he's VT though, or else just asking for scum to kill him. When someone claims town, they are trying to make other people perceive them as VT. Why else would you claim town?



Now he suddenly is much more concerned about claiming alignment (which he again links to VT). Flip-flopping at its best.

Also on his latest post:
+ Show Spoiler +
On August 08 2012 05:23 Mordanis wrote:
Right, and so saying that you shouldn't claim VT when you make a statement that's only purpose is to make yourself be perceived as VT seems illogical to me. Enough on that subject though ^^

Wow, Forumite's accusation came much earlier than I expected. All Shiao had done was come out as anti-policy, and then when pressed came out against lying and lurking. What in that is scummy, I have no idea.
I think its clear that Forumite has some type of plan hatching, but until we find out what the plan is, his early accusation is sort of weightless. It could be an attempt to draw scum out or to force townie mistakes in order to mislynch. Or it could be something completely different, or even some amazing, irrefutable meta-read that paints Shiao as scum already. I don't see how that could be possible, but without further information, it's sort of a null read on Forumite for now. I think Forumite does deserve some extra attention, as I'm always kind of wary of people who are scheming.



Keep in mind that Forumite had already accused me much earlier than Mord posted. He only gives his opinion on it when Hiro asked him specifialy to do so. Mord sees no reason to suspect me, but hadn't he said that he also dislikes cutting policy short? Shouldn't he agree with Forumite's accusation based on that? Furthermore examine the rest of the post after the part I bolded. It is actually pure fluff.

I feel that Mord has a higher chance of flipping scum than Forumite does, so

##vote: Mordanis
LiquidDota Staff@TW_ShiaoPi
TL+ Member
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
August 08 2012 11:06 GMT
#200
On August 08 2012 08:47 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2012 08:38 risk.nuke wrote:
On August 08 2012 08:28 Bluelightz wrote:
Agh. Clarifying nao. Watcher tracks everything that visits his target, while tracker tracks role actions. Yes one person can both rb/kill in 1 night

Okey, I'm still not sure but I'm starting to lean that if we have a tracker (which we probably don't have if we're lucky) he should claim. At first I thought hiros suggestion was dumb as crap but thinking about it more and including things that hiro probably didn't even realise I'm starting to feel this might be the best action. I think he should claim Day 3 or preferably during night 2. Just before the daypost. (He could put some effort into making sure he'll be around for that time) but otherwise day 3 will be fine.

thoughts?


I think postulating about a setup we only have 1/3 of the time with various unknown lynches/nightkills in the way is quite an unproductive use of thread space. Even in your post you say "for things without Hiro realises" without expanding upon them. Looks like crap designed to spam up the thread.

Well let me explain further what I ment. When hiro first brought up the idea of using the tracker as an innocent child because tracking sucked in this setup, his idea was crap. When I gave it more thought and realising that doing this at a specific time gives us a mid-lategame confirmed townie and a high chance to stop a kp with a medic the idea started to look good. However the idea he explained to us was crap, so no matter where this leads hiro should still be held accountable for proposing a shitty plan.

Last night was a good time to discuss these things marv. You claim I was spamming up the thread when what I was doing was discussiong ideas. Which is infinitly close to scumhunting then what you have been doing. Which is nothing.

Prplhz also have done nothing.

Glad to see we got some scumhunting going. I'll be on later and join the fray.
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 34 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM840
TaKeTV 320
TKL 319
IndyStarCraft 206
BRAT_OK 114
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 840
TKL 319
IndyStarCraft 206
MaxPax 173
BRAT_OK 114
UpATreeSC 90
EmSc Tv 18
MindelVK 15
JuggernautJason13
Nathanias 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 714
ggaemo 176
White-Ra 124
firebathero 122
910 56
Barracks 52
Hyun 36
Trap 29
Bale 25
Killer 24
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 21
Shine 15
soO 14
yabsab 8
Dota 2
qojqva4017
Counter-Strike
Fnx 776
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby7048
crisheroes1742
Liquid`Hasu1513
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi3701
singsing1496
Beastyqt768
ceh9678
B2W.Neo487
ArmadaUGS161
C9.Mang0150
KnowMe90
Trikslyr54
Dewaltoss33
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream437
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 18
EmSc2Tv 18
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 102
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 18
• FirePhoenix14
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2439
• TFBlade874
Other Games
• Shiphtur309
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 25m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.