• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:20
CEST 06:20
KST 13:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10048 users

[T] MTG Mini Mafia - Page 88

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 86 87 88
strongandbig
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4858 Posts
August 23 2012 08:12 GMT
#1741
Yeah so here's a few ideas.

(1) Be really clear on how all the mechanics work before the game and then stick to it - people's deck designs depend dramatically on what abilities they can or cannot use when. This isn't a criticism of this game, since it was the first one and that wasn't possible. I think this game was handled well. But next game can be better since we have some understanding to build off of.

(2) As for instants, counterspells, etcetera. I feel like having some instant-speed abilities but not others just doesn't really work out; it's both confusing for mtg newbs and confusing for experienced players. I would say there's a few options:

-- Go to only sorcery speed for all spells an abilities.

-- Go to what I'm calling "modified sorcery speed". This would be as follows:
---- no "in response" abilities.
---- All spells and abilities resolve as soon as they are cast.
---- Sorceries can only be cast during the main phases
---- Instants and instant-speed creature abilities can be cast during the main phase and will resolve as soon as they are cast, unless the player specifies that they want to resolve them during the attack phase (see below).
---- Players can also cast instants and instant-speed creature abilities to resolve as follows during the attack phase:
------- (1) at the start of the attack phase, as soon as the main phase has ended
------- (2) After attackers are delcared, but before blockers are declared
------- (3) After blockers are declared, but before damage goes on the stack
------- (4) After damage goes on the stack, but before it resolves
------- (5) After damage resolves, at the end of the attack phase right before the start of the next main phase.
---- These abilities can be cast at any time, including during the main phase. Players will play the card and specify "to resolve at time (1) during the attack phase". Then when that time comes around, the host will resolve the spells in the order they were cast. There is no stack, just a bunch of abilities that resolve at certain points in time.
---- This would use the same "three-deadline" system (main phase, attack, and block) that we had in the last MTG mafia. I think that was a promising system; definitely better than only having two deadlines, and also probably better than having more than three deadlines since at a certain point time zones make the thing really complicated.
---- I think this method allows more variety in viable decks and is more similar to actual MTG. For example, you could save a creature growth or destruction spell for after blockers are declared, you can use abilities that move damage around, etcetera.
---- This format would still not allow counterspells, since everything cast during the main phase just resolves when it is cast.
-- The last option would be to have a "real-time" priority system. This would only work either for a game with a really heavy activity commitment. Whenever anyone cast any spell, there would be a period during which priority would pass around the board before it resolved, during which people could counter it. Either there would be a specific amount of time during which people could cast stuff before the spell resolved, or each player in turn would have to agree to pass priority before it resolved. If you do the "agree to pass priority" method you would probably want lots of hydras so that someone would be around all the time.

I think the second option I outlined up there is a pretty good compromise.
"It's the torso" "only more so!"
Artanis[Xp]
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Netherlands12973 Posts
August 27 2012 00:50 GMT
#1742
Sorry for the late response.
@Strongandbig The first part of your 'modified sorcery speed' I've mostly put into play in the last game already, with the exception of player killing spells. I like the idea of players deciding when they want to have their instants resolve and I think I'll implement it next, with no reactions being possible of course. I think I'll use the second one for the next game.
@The rest I'm not sold on counterspells simply because it'd restrict playing time a lot in the main phase, and it's hard enough to get people active already.
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
August 27 2012 02:00 GMT
#1743
On August 27 2012 09:50 Artanis[Xp] wrote:
Sorry for the late response.
@Strongandbig The first part of your 'modified sorcery speed' I've mostly put into play in the last game already, with the exception of player killing spells. I like the idea of players deciding when they want to have their instants resolve and I think I'll implement it next, with no reactions being possible of course. I think I'll use the second one for the next game.
@The rest I'm not sold on counterspells simply because it'd restrict playing time a lot in the main phase, and it's hard enough to get people active already.

Did you see my post about playing with 1 deck that everyone draws from? That way no one's deck is OP
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
strongandbig
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4858 Posts
August 27 2012 08:27 GMT
#1744
On August 27 2012 11:00 Mattchew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2012 09:50 Artanis[Xp] wrote:
Sorry for the late response.
@Strongandbig The first part of your 'modified sorcery speed' I've mostly put into play in the last game already, with the exception of player killing spells. I like the idea of players deciding when they want to have their instants resolve and I think I'll implement it next, with no reactions being possible of course. I think I'll use the second one for the next game.
@The rest I'm not sold on counterspells simply because it'd restrict playing time a lot in the main phase, and it's hard enough to get people active already.

Did you see my post about playing with 1 deck that everyone draws from? That way no one's deck is OP


That might make for a slightly better mafia game strictly defined, but imo it would lose quite a bit of the fun of this game. Everyone would have the same goals with their mtg play, and I think that where this game gets its unique appeal is the interaction of the mtg play with the mafia play. I think that a really good deck-balancing process, which should be much more possible with all that we've learned from this game, would do just as well.
"It's the torso" "only more so!"
Artanis[Xp]
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
Netherlands12973 Posts
August 27 2012 12:07 GMT
#1745
Yeah, I don't like that idea since it takes away from the uniqueness and the fun of playing with 'your own' deck.
Promethelax
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada7089 Posts
August 27 2012 22:02 GMT
#1746
Yeah, as much as I don't know how to improve this (I thought it was great, thought utterly confusing) unique decks need to stay. A lot of the weird fun came from the way the decks played out against one another.
TL Mafia. Love it. Play it. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 I find Kennigit really attractive. If anyone has a picture of him please feel free to PM it to me.
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
August 27 2012 22:41 GMT
#1747
I don't mean to be rude, but until you've actually played cube and look at the decklist and rules for it, it hurts to read your comments. It isn't like everyone is drawing from one "sliver" deck or a theme deck. and the rules adjusted would make for a very balanced mafia games with a lot of interesting and possible outcomes
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
strongandbig
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4858 Posts
August 28 2012 10:47 GMT
#1748
On August 28 2012 07:41 Mattchew wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but until you've actually played cube and look at the decklist and rules for it, it hurts to read your comments. It isn't like everyone is drawing from one "sliver" deck or a theme deck. and the rules adjusted would make for a very balanced mafia games with a lot of interesting and possible outcomes


that's not the point. we all like the customization and variety of designing our own decks. That's why we don't want to play a type-four-style cube. and a booster draft might be "fairer" but it would be a huge pain in the ass to organize and also not as fun.
"It's the torso" "only more so!"
Prev 1 86 87 88
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft394
RuFF_SC2 210
Nina 87
-ZergGirl 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2162
Bale 20
sorry 17
yabsab 15
Terrorterran 10
910 10
Icarus 3
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 671
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1119
taco 546
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox825
Other Games
summit1g8723
Day[9].tv462
WinterStarcraft341
C9.Mang0291
Livibee161
Maynarde129
Sick126
ViBE94
ArmadaUGS54
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick868
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream148
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota274
League of Legends
• Stunt288
Other Games
• Day9tv462
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
6h 41m
Stellar Fest
8h 41m
The PondCast
1d 5h
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
OSC
1d 19h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.