• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:34
CEST 05:34
KST 12:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6566 users

Heroes Large General Thread - Page 143

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
9055 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 141 142 143 144 145 453 Next
Add yourself in the TL Player list if you want to play with TL people, and /join teamliquid channel ingame. Also check out the new Heroes Liquipedia.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
October 20 2014 10:48 GMT
#2841
I thought League wasn't good enough to be an eSport title and I was wrong, I thought Hearthstone wasn't good enough and I was wrong. As long as the community wills it or enough money will be pumped in it it will be fine.

On a sidenote I wasn't saying that HOTS won't be succesfull(it will be), I just doubt the level of success due to the current payment model.
WriterXiao8~~
Deleted User 26513
Profile Joined February 2007
2376 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 12:53:02
October 20 2014 11:21 GMT
#2842
On October 20 2014 18:34 Klowney wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2014 09:01 Pr0wler wrote:
On October 20 2014 06:05 crms wrote:
well this argument is a straw man anyway. no reasonable person is saying HOTS will be doomed to fail and go bankrupt if they lock heroes etc., we've only said as a consumer, it sucks compared to dota 2's completely f2p model. if you want to start a separate argument on 'what will make blizzard more money', go ahead but it's not really something I personally care about.

Because free things exist. Blessed are the believers.
I can agree ,that Valve's way of milking its customers, is better thought out... But most certainly it is not "completely free to play".
And by the way, I can't see anything wrong when company expects people to pay for its products. Since when, this is anti-consumer behavior ?


So what part of dota 2 isn't free to play? and there is someting wrong when the prices are so ridiculously expensive.

The whole game isn't free to play. Such thing doesn't and can't exist. If for some reason all the players decide to play it for free, the game will stop existing. So if you are buying skins, you should know that you are paying for the gaming experience of RandomJoe that is playing the game "completely" for free.
"Ridiculously expensive" is a subjective category. I think IPhone is ridiculously expensive, others think otherwise and are buying it as soon as its released.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10961 Posts
October 20 2014 11:37 GMT
#2843
What i learnt today:
True free to play whiteout pay to win (more) doesn't exist, despite its existance.

Why? Because some People like to spend money on skins..


Do you even read your argument before you post it? If no one would freely buy said Skins and stuff the game would likely not be supported after some time... But that doesn't change the fact that there are real free to play games.
Deleted User 26513
Profile Joined February 2007
2376 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 11:50:05
October 20 2014 11:49 GMT
#2844
On October 20 2014 20:37 Velr wrote:
What i learnt today:
True free to play whiteout pay to win (more) doesn't exist, despite its existance.

Why? Because some People like to spend money on skins..


Do you even read your argument before you post it? If no one would freely buy said Skins and stuff the game would likely not be supported after some time... But that doesn't change the fact that there are real free to play games.

Free to play and pay to win are completely different things. SC2 is not free to play and is not pay to win either. As I said "completely free to play" doesn't and can't exist. The whole idea of that model is that some are paying more than others and it balances out at the end.
Maybe you should read the argument... Where did I say that dota is pay to win ? For some reason you think that f2p is the opposite of pay to win... And its not. Well at least you learnt something, indeed.
Laserist
Profile Joined September 2011
Turkey4269 Posts
October 20 2014 12:07 GMT
#2845
About Dota and f2p
+ Show Spoiler +
Dota 2 is completely free to play if you don't want to pay any money. It is to be said, the game itself offers all of it's content to you without you paying single penny to the company.
Of course Valve makes money from the game with hats, compendiums, steam exposure etc.. but as an individual, it is possible for you to not paying any money and play the game with the whole content from the beginning.
Money itself doesn't give you "any" advantage to you too.
It is called free to play cause it is really free to play.

“Are you with the Cartel? Because you’re definitely an Angel.”
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
October 20 2014 12:25 GMT
#2846
Pr0wler's right.
You can't expect anyone to offer a game 'free to play', somebody has to pay for the expenses. True free to play doesnt exist.
But honestly, I find HotS model extremely expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
October 20 2014 12:29 GMT
#2847
DotA2 is extremely fair when it comes to F2P models, however I don't think DotA2 could be sustainable on its own. Either players are investing a lot more into it than I think or the fact that Valve does a lot of stuff on the side is helping keeping the game alive.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
October 20 2014 12:48 GMT
#2848
On October 20 2014 21:29 KeksX wrote:
DotA2 is extremely fair when it comes to F2P models, however I don't think DotA2 could be sustainable on its own. Either players are investing a lot more into it than I think or the fact that Valve does a lot of stuff on the side is helping keeping the game alive.


It's rather interesting that this is such a popular opinion when with a tiny amount of research one can find a whole wealth of data that suggests Dota 2 is profitable on it's own. I guess people just can't handle the fact that the model works.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 12:58:52
October 20 2014 12:55 GMT
#2849
Its intention was not neccesarily to make money off Dota 2 but to install Steam on every machine, it has outperformed itself by quite a margin though. Any money they make off Dota 2 is a bonus, and it is a significant bonus.

Either way lets not get too offtopic, HOTS doesn't really have Steam, they have the Battlenet client which is limited to Diablo, WoW, Starcraft and HS only(and 3/th of that are AAA games basically). So while they would probably make some money from people having the battlenet client and a large overflow from its franchises and vice verca it won't be as good as with Steam.

What I would like to see is that the basic package of HOTS gets offered for free, for example in League you have/had the initial pack which contained quite a few champions. They don't have to adept the Dota 2 model but a compensation in between having to grind a lot and getting a fair amount of options early on would be good I feel. The problem occurs of course when you start adding more and more content and it becomes disproportionate but hopefully by then a fair amount of people will have already invested into HOTS.
WriterXiao8~~
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
October 20 2014 12:58 GMT
#2850
On October 20 2014 21:48 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2014 21:29 KeksX wrote:
DotA2 is extremely fair when it comes to F2P models, however I don't think DotA2 could be sustainable on its own. Either players are investing a lot more into it than I think or the fact that Valve does a lot of stuff on the side is helping keeping the game alive.


It's rather interesting that this is such a popular opinion when with a tiny amount of research one can find a whole wealth of data that suggests Dota 2 is profitable on it's own. I guess people just can't handle the fact that the model works.

If you look at the amount of money workshop creators like Anuxi earn (pretty sure she bought a house with her cosmetics earnings), I think it's safe to say Dota easily makes money for itself. Naturally Valve probably didn't anticipate this level of success, even with their experience in the TF2 hatconomy, so the idea that Dota is an advertisement for Steam is still totally valid.
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Laserist
Profile Joined September 2011
Turkey4269 Posts
October 20 2014 13:02 GMT
#2851
I wonder how much growth Dota 2 added to overall Steam sales(comparing with and without(fictional guess) Dota2). I assume most people willing to pay money for games already installed steam and those piracy lovers probably don't pay for anything even though steam is installed on their computer.
Just wondering, not implying anything.
“Are you with the Cartel? Because you’re definitely an Angel.”
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
October 20 2014 13:06 GMT
#2852
Also, can "real" free to play truly exist? Can anything be truly free in this world?
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 13:15:11
October 20 2014 13:14 GMT
#2853
On October 20 2014 21:48 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2014 21:29 KeksX wrote:
DotA2 is extremely fair when it comes to F2P models, however I don't think DotA2 could be sustainable on its own. Either players are investing a lot more into it than I think or the fact that Valve does a lot of stuff on the side is helping keeping the game alive.


It's rather interesting that this is such a popular opinion when with a tiny amount of research one can find a whole wealth of data that suggests Dota 2 is profitable on it's own. I guess people just can't handle the fact that the model works.


You are missing the point. It works for Valve. You can't just copy a business model from a game and then expect it to work the exact same way. There are so many variables left in the equation. Can you put your finger on the fact that this works? Do you have data to back that up?

I do not, hence why I don't claim to tell the truth, just telling my thoughts.

@ahswtini:
Do you have actual data for that? Because if that is the case it's certainly impressive, that would create a whole economy in the game itself which is something many games are far away from.


About your question:
I think free to play can certainly exist for some people, but for that to happen you need those "whales" people always talk about who spend BIG money on a certain game, allowing the company to make it completely fair and f2p for others. I think we might actually have that in DotA2: A few people spending the big bucks on the game while others spend nothing, or very little.
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-20 13:23:00
October 20 2014 13:14 GMT
#2854
I can testify that Dota as an advertisement for Steam works extremely well.

I had barely any games on Steam before playing Dota, and now rip wallet T.T


OT, I got a key for HOTS a few weeks ago. I didnt really like it, everything felt way too gated and expensive and the game was quite boring.
The games felt weirdly very slow and sluggish despite having very short animations, no turn rates and games being short. I dont really know why. Maybe the fact that ranges are very short, heroes move quite slowly and spells do no damage and are very cheap relative to the health/mana pools.

Maybe I didnt play enough to really get the strategic depth of the game but it seemed quite shallow on that side too :/

I hope that it's because it's an alpha and that it is still going to improve, but given the state of the game/emerging "pro-scene" I kinda suspect that they named it alpha just to avoid the over-hype debacle that the Hearthstone beta was, with people on the brink of selling kidneys for beta keys.
Romanes eunt domus
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 20 2014 13:22 GMT
#2855
The big point with Dota and Valve is that they were able to develop a game that they did not know how they would make it profitable during the development process, which likely cost millions of dollars. They likely didn’t even have a time line on when it would be profitable and they have been tweeking the cosmetic and ticket system every since.

Its works for Valve because of steam, but that is not responsible for any other company including Blizzard. They can't spend money not knowing how they will make it back because that will cost people jobs.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
October 20 2014 13:32 GMT
#2856
On October 20 2014 22:14 KeksX wrote:

@ahswtini:
Do you have actual data for that? Because if that is the case it's certainly impressive, that would create a whole economy in the game itself which is something many games are far away from.

The item trading scene is very developed, although Valve recently removed the main currency (treasure keys). Either way, there are traders who are making a profit through clever buying and selling.

So now we’re in this strange world where we have people who are using the Steam workshop who are making $500,000 per year building items for other customers


http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Although I think it meant that $500k was the total amount Valve paid out to workshop artists.
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
October 20 2014 13:45 GMT
#2857
I see, well that is indeed very impressive. I did know that it existed, had no idea that it was that huge though.

I highly doubt that Blizzard could pull of something similar though, the amount of engineering power that must have gone into this is probably way above their capabilities.
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
October 20 2014 13:47 GMT
#2858
I don't think it requires that much engineering power, although I don't know how skins in Heroes work. I mean it's theoretically as simple as taking skin submissions from artists and paying them a cut of any revenue it generates.
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
October 20 2014 14:10 GMT
#2859
You have to setup departments, modify tools for individual useage if needed. Administrative work, communication channels etc. It has a decently high first "product" cost, moreover it is possible that blizzard wants full control over ita productions, community based submissions is not without risk, Riot also has no community tools.

Not saying they shouldnt do it or that it is impossible but it is not without consequences or that easy.
WriterXiao8~~
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10961 Posts
October 20 2014 14:25 GMT
#2860
Remember Bnet2.0?

I doubt Blizzrad could get something halfway decent out in any halfway decent amount of time, at least it probably wouldn't be ready for Hots....
Prev 1 141 142 143 144 145 453 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings145
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft482
RuFF_SC2 202
ViBE107
Nina 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 5102
GuemChi 1274
Terrorterran 94
910 73
Bale 29
NaDa 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever480
Counter-Strike
taco 523
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1073
Other Games
summit1g8072
JimRising 597
C9.Mang0250
Trikslyr40
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick768
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP128
• Hupsaiya 74
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo970
• Stunt309
Other Games
• Shiphtur564
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 26m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.