• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:07
CEST 18:07
KST 01:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9213 users

[Guide] Guitar - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
June 09 2009 16:10 GMT
#21
On June 10 2009 01:01 konadora wrote:
Kinda alien to the terms, what are 'pickups' and 'bad', and how do you tell a 'clean channel' apart from a 'dirty channel'?

@Zoler:
Yes, but let's not get there in this thread, shall we?



A clean channel is usually labeled "clean." If it isn't, just set your gain to zero (or some very low value) and you'll have a clean channel. clean refers to a lack of distortion, basically a clear and crisp sound.

bad was a typo, i think i meant bag
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
June 09 2009 16:11 GMT
#22
Cool... what equipment will be most recommended for a beginner like me? I don't know anyone who plays electric, so I gotta know which ones are good so that I can buy them. Also, price please
POGGERS
Powerpill
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States1693 Posts
June 09 2009 16:16 GMT
#23
Grabbed a Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH last year, and highly recommend it. Has a high fretboard radius (somewhat flat) and the strings are "very" close to the frets (great for finger play). Got one of the rare blue ones off ebay (around mid 600 price range, not the cheapest, but worth it imo) Doesn't sound like a typical tele at all though, more like a mid to high end PRS.
The pretty things are going to hell, they wore it out but they wore it well
Ryshi
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Canada361 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 16:20:53
June 09 2009 16:20 GMT
#24
Get this:
"Squire Strat (50-150 dollars) – If you are broke, this is the only guitar you can consider. No other electric guitar sounds remotely decent in this price range; that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. Squire’s are sometimes terrible, but sometimes very decent, so try a few out."
If you plan on playing outside of the house, you should get an amp, maybe just use a starter amp as wangsta has said (although I don't really trust bundle purchases, but I have not played with them). A cheap amp cost about $50?

While you are excited, I must warn you that if you buy bad equipment, your setup may produce a bad tone. It is very demotivating and may make you quit guitar. Bad equipment is also hard to resale.

If you plan on just making videos, I suggest getting a podxt or equivalent. It is basically an effect that you can plug and play. You plug your guitar into the effect and then plug into pc and use your speakers as amp. Or, you can just wear headphones and plug it right into your effect. It is around $150-250 I think. I can guarantee getting a podxt would produce a good tone. Even if you don't like it, you can resale it.
The World God Only Knows
Hypnosis
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States2061 Posts
June 09 2009 16:23 GMT
#25
DOn't bother playing guitar unless you are willing to practice at LEAST an hour every single day. Electric and acoustic are two completely different things, I can play electric pretty well now but still struggle will acoustic.. Its all in the time spent and make sure you do everything SLOWLY FIRST.
Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
June 09 2009 16:24 GMT
#26
On June 10 2009 01:11 konadora wrote:
Cool... what equipment will be most recommended for a beginner like me? I don't know anyone who plays electric, so I gotta know which ones are good so that I can buy them. Also, price please


What style of music do you want to play? Some are better suited for specific genres. Also, you should find one that catches your eye. You don't want to be stuck with one that you think looks shitty/doesn't appeal to your taste.
the courage to be a lazy bum
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 16:26:22
June 09 2009 16:24 GMT
#27
On June 10 2009 01:11 konadora wrote:
Cool... what equipment will be most recommended for a beginner like me? I don't know anyone who plays electric, so I gotta know which ones are good so that I can buy them. Also, price please


For a somewhat long term solution, get this setup used, together for about 300 bucks

Fender MIM Stratocaster
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=501158
roland 15X cube
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030


Or get the super cheap option, a starter pack (which you will definitely replace if you stay with guitar). On craigslist these go for as low as 50 bucks
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Affinity-Strat-HSS-and-Bullet-150-DSP-Amp-Value-Pack-512576-i1174771.gc

The only remotely decent starter pack I know of, is the one with the affinity squire strat and the fender frontman 15w. dont get other starter packs
SchOOl_VicTIm
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Greece2394 Posts
June 09 2009 16:26 GMT
#28
This guide looks good, I'll give it a better look later when I'll have time. For now, I want to inform you the link www.goodear.com you give somewhere, doesn't work.
King K. Rool
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada4408 Posts
June 09 2009 16:30 GMT
#29
I dunno. I learned classical guitar first, and I never bothered properly learning any electric/acoustic chords other than basic open stuff.

I just get the tab and I can play it if it's easy enough, or I practice and I can play it, I don't really know why you say you need to learn all those chords. I picked up alot of chords just by learning different songs. If you just want to play pieces, I'd say just learn how to strum, how to bar and stuff like fingerings then just play from a tab.
Skyze
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada2324 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 16:37:55
June 09 2009 16:33 GMT
#30
On June 10 2009 01:03 Ryshi wrote:
konadora:
From the video :-
Equipment: Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Gibson 490r 498t pickups $2000+
Fender Frontman 212r $300-400~
Pod XT Live $200-300
M-Audio fast track pro $100-200
Shure SM57 $???
Recorded with Audacity FREE

I'm canadian so I may have mixed some of the prices, but the higher end is what I estimate is that cost in American $. Also some of my prices are second hand from craigslist lol, like the pod xt and m-audio might be from 2nd hand. You don't really need such an expensive guitar to play a video like this.

To get a good tone, you just need a good amp/effect. If you do recording, you can get away with just a $200+ guitar and a pod xt (live not necessary). It will produce a good tone already.


Umm.. a Epiphone LP Custom would be like $600 used. No more than $900 new, or you are getting ripped off.

I dont know what to think of this guide, as some information is not that good. But maybe thats because I am pursuing a career in music (guitar is my primary too) as opposed to a hobby.

Such as Squires being the only guitar that sounds decent in an under 500 pricerange?? Thats "fact"??? That can't be further away from the truth. Fenders and Gibsons are both overpriced and bank off their brand/name rather than quality instruments, there are many really good companies that make guitars for under $500 that are much better, such as Ibanez or even Agile. Squires are alright but to say they are the best guitar for their price is like saying Terran is the best race by far in SC. Just flat out wrong.

I can find faulty info in pretty much every paragraph in this guide.. So anyone who is actually new at guitar, take it with a grain of salt.
Canada Gaming ~~ The-Feared
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
June 09 2009 16:37 GMT
#31
On June 10 2009 01:26 SchOOl_VicTIm wrote:
This guide looks good, I'll give it a better look later when I'll have time. For now, I want to inform you the link www.goodear.com you give somewhere, doesn't work.


Thank you.

I put up an alternate link now
http://www.musictheory.net/
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
June 09 2009 16:39 GMT
#32
On June 10 2009 01:33 Skyze wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2009 01:03 Ryshi wrote:
konadora:
From the video :-
Equipment: Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Gibson 490r 498t pickups $2000+
Fender Frontman 212r $300-400~
Pod XT Live $200-300
M-Audio fast track pro $100-200
Shure SM57 $???
Recorded with Audacity FREE

I'm canadian so I may have mixed some of the prices, but the higher end is what I estimate is that cost in American $. Also some of my prices are second hand from craigslist lol, like the pod xt and m-audio might be from 2nd hand. You don't really need such an expensive guitar to play a video like this.

To get a good tone, you just need a good amp/effect. If you do recording, you can get away with just a $200+ guitar and a pod xt (live not necessary). It will produce a good tone already.


Umm.. a Epiphone LP Custom would be like $600 used. No more than $900 new, or you are getting ripped off.

I dont know what to think of this guide, as some information is not that good. But maybe thats because I am pursuing a career in music (guitar is my primary too) as opposed to a hobby.



A lot of explanations are really short on purpose since this is a beginners guide, and I don't want it to be longer than it already is.

I'm also far from a professional musician, so if you have corrections please let me know. I'll fix and credit you in the guide
Skyze
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada2324 Posts
June 09 2009 16:42 GMT
#33
Also, I would NOT recommend a Pod for anyone new at sound/musical instruments, as the ammount of tweaking required to get a "good tone" is so massive, it would overwhelm any new player. The best way to get a "good tone" at a cheap/affordable price, is getting a decent low cost amp, depending on what you do. If all you want is that dry blues overdriven sound, get a Fender Blues Jr or one of those amps, but the main idea is when starting out you need an amp that IS SIMPLE, has volume, gain, bass/mid/treble, and reverb. Nothing more, because having to deal with a Pod or any ME unit is a double edged sword; it can sound great if used properly, or can sound like total shit if you don't know what you're doing.
Canada Gaming ~~ The-Feared
Ryshi
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Canada361 Posts
June 09 2009 16:43 GMT
#34
On June 10 2009 01:33 Skyze wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2009 01:03 Ryshi wrote:
konadora:
From the video :-
Equipment: Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Gibson 490r 498t pickups $2000+
Fender Frontman 212r $300-400~
Pod XT Live $200-300
M-Audio fast track pro $100-200
Shure SM57 $???
Recorded with Audacity FREE

I'm canadian so I may have mixed some of the prices, but the higher end is what I estimate is that cost in American $. Also some of my prices are second hand from craigslist lol, like the pod xt and m-audio might be from 2nd hand. You don't really need such an expensive guitar to play a video like this.

To get a good tone, you just need a good amp/effect. If you do recording, you can get away with just a $200+ guitar and a pod xt (live not necessary). It will produce a good tone already.


Umm.. a Epiphone LP Custom would be like $600 used. No more than $900 new, or you are getting ripped off.

Yeah I'm probably wrong, I quoted it from google.
The World God Only Knows
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
June 09 2009 16:45 GMT
#35
On June 10 2009 01:33 Skyze wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2009 01:03 Ryshi wrote:
konadora:
From the video :-
Equipment: Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Gibson 490r 498t pickups $2000+
Fender Frontman 212r $300-400~
Pod XT Live $200-300
M-Audio fast track pro $100-200
Shure SM57 $???
Recorded with Audacity FREE

I'm canadian so I may have mixed some of the prices, but the higher end is what I estimate is that cost in American $. Also some of my prices are second hand from craigslist lol, like the pod xt and m-audio might be from 2nd hand. You don't really need such an expensive guitar to play a video like this.

To get a good tone, you just need a good amp/effect. If you do recording, you can get away with just a $200+ guitar and a pod xt (live not necessary). It will produce a good tone already.


Umm.. a Epiphone LP Custom would be like $600 used. No more than $900 new, or you are getting ripped off.

I dont know what to think of this guide, as some information is not that good. But maybe thats because I am pursuing a career in music (guitar is my primary too) as opposed to a hobby.

Such as Squires being the only guitar that sounds decent in an under 500 pricerange?? Thats "fact"??? That can't be further away from the truth. Fenders and Gibsons are both overpriced and bank off their brand/name rather than quality instruments, there are many really good companies that make guitars for under $500 that are much better, such as Ibanez or even Agile. Squires are alright but to say they are the best guitar for their price is like saying Terran is the best race by far in SC. Just flat out wrong.

I can find faulty info in pretty much every paragraph in this guide.. So anyone who is actually new at guitar, take it with a grain of salt.



Uh you should reread my words, I said 50-150 dollar price range and I've never editted that portion of the guide. Here's the quote

Squire Strat (50-150 dollars) – If you are broke, this is the only guitar you can consider. No other electric guitar sounds remotely decent in this price range; that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. Squire’s are sometimes terrible, but sometimes very decent, so try a few out.


Fenders strats are also probably the best value out of any guitar for beginners. They relatively cheap and are designed for playability (lightweight and comfortable) and versatility (wide range of sounds) which is exactly what you want if you are new. If you disagree with me on this, then I don't know what to say, this isn't an opinion that I made up on my own

I never anywhere said that gibsons are a best value (for anything)
Ryshi
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Canada361 Posts
June 09 2009 16:48 GMT
#36
Azusa uses a fender =)
The World God Only Knows
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
June 09 2009 16:55 GMT
#37
On June 10 2009 01:48 Ryshi wrote:
Azusa uses a fender =)


yea, unfortunately it's not a strat
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
June 09 2009 17:00 GMT
#38
On June 10 2009 01:24 ZoW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2009 01:11 konadora wrote:
Cool... what equipment will be most recommended for a beginner like me? I don't know anyone who plays electric, so I gotta know which ones are good so that I can buy them. Also, price please


What style of music do you want to play? Some are better suited for specific genres. Also, you should find one that catches your eye. You don't want to be stuck with one that you think looks shitty/doesn't appeal to your taste.

Including 'fuwa fuwa time' in the OP, something like these?





POGGERS
Wangsta
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States776 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-09 17:07:36
June 09 2009 17:05 GMT
#39
if you're always gonna be playing around with distortion you might as well get an ibanez (or epiphone lp if you care about looks, since I think those look nice )

fender strats are great for a lot of music but the single coils arent that great with heavy distortion, you'll probably want something with a humbuckler, so ignore my earlier suggestions


edit: that song in the first video might take a while to learn lol.
my love is a stapler would be good to start with though, you can probably jump into that as soon as you learn power chords
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
June 09 2009 17:09 GMT
#40
I'm mostly aiming to play at home though. Is it big? Humbuckler? Single coils? What's that? (Sorry, really noob with all the guitar terms, although they're awesome :3 )
POGGERS
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM383
TaKeTV 51
BRAT_OK 0
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 383
ProTech145
TKL 74
UpATreeSC 68
Codebar 35
Rex 33
BRAT_OK 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1303
Shuttle 1114
EffOrt 514
ggaemo 336
Mini 329
Stork 265
firebathero 200
Light 181
Dewaltoss 103
Rush 102
[ Show more ]
Barracks 85
910 75
Zeus 56
sorry 56
Killer 53
Mong 45
Shine 44
Hyun 43
Shinee 42
Bale 23
ToSsGirL 23
soO 22
Aegong 21
Sexy 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
Trap 12
Sacsri 10
yabsab 9
zelot 7
Dota 2
qojqva4311
Dendi1946
BananaSlamJamma432
LuMiX0
Counter-Strike
Fnx 712
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes592
Other Games
singsing2073
Liquid`RaSZi2040
hiko1196
B2W.Neo1021
Liquid`VortiX238
Sick170
ArmadaUGS155
Trikslyr43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream518
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile130
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2263
• TFBlade759
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 53m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.