• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:07
CEST 01:07
KST 08:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War665.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13099 users

WCG Ultimate Gamer: Tuesday 10pm (EST) WATCH IT - Page 82

Forum Index > General Forum
2917 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 146 Next
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 21:50:49
March 25 2009 21:40 GMT
#1621
On March 26 2009 06:08 Chef wrote:
\ It's just a fact that most people stick to one game genre (that they're at all competetive with), and suck at everything else.

That's what I disagree with. I know serious gamers (and I used to consider myself one) that can jump from platform to platform and make it to the top. FPS -> RTS -> Fighting -> etc. They only truly specialize in one (I mostly know CS players) but they're very good at multiple types.

EDIT: Alyson's boobs definitely should've stayed. I will say that an entire show of Dante failing irl would be good, so so far they've been good.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
RyanS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States620 Posts
March 25 2009 21:41 GMT
#1622
General question: Are they only playing games that were played in WCG on this show, or just any game developer that pays to have their game put on?
zizou21
Profile Joined September 2006
United States3683 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 21:56:25
March 25 2009 21:53 GMT
#1623
btw the challenge between dante and jamal at virtua fighter is the worst acting ive ever seen

and i really agree with jibba. I think to be a real "all around gamer" you must have mastered AT LEAST the FPS, RTS, and fighting genres. i kno this sounds like a lot and that the people in that house dont fit those demands at all, but there are lots of these talented gamers (who would probably not start drama like a lil bitch on tv so they would never get hired, yada yada yada)
its me, tasteless,s roomate LOL!
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 22:02:09
March 25 2009 22:00 GMT
#1624
wtf alyson is not hot. ciji is hot. just look at their figures yo!
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
March 25 2009 22:02 GMT
#1625
On March 26 2009 07:00 Kentor wrote:
wtf alyson or whatever is not hot. ciji is hot


omg I totally disagree

Though I'm always grateful for diverse opinions on this field
And all is illuminated.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 22:18:50
March 25 2009 22:09 GMT
#1626
Here's another quote I enjoyed.

I'm the WCG PGR4 USA Champion. Can't get much better than that.


Apparently you can.
WCG PGR4 Grand Finals:
1st - Handewasser
2nd - Live
3rd - SteVeK


EDIT: BTW, does anyone know the song being played at around 27 minutes? It's so familiar but I can't figure it out.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
March 25 2009 22:16 GMT
#1627
On March 26 2009 06:53 zizou21 wrote:
btw the challenge between dante and jamal at virtua fighter is the worst acting ive ever seen

and i really agree with jibba. I think to be a real "all around gamer" you must have mastered AT LEAST the FPS, RTS, and fighting genres. i kno this sounds like a lot and that the people in that house dont fit those demands at all, but there are lots of these talented gamers (who would probably not start drama like a lil bitch on tv so they would never get hired, yada yada yada)

Sure, but if you're good at one RTS, even though your skills will translate, you won't be familiar with another RTS. The same goes for FPS games, especially those with different control set ups, but just for the fact that guns react differently too. I'm sure a lot of these players would have done better if they weren't using the retarded big wheel and pedals (and just a normal control in instead) but again, it's marketing. Anyway... My point is that a lot of times these players are playing the game for the first time. It doesn't matter how good you think you are at games in general I could call myself an 'all around' gamer, since I'm good at a variety of different games, and tend to do better than my friends who aren't as good at games when trying for the first time... But absolutely, even when just moving onto game sequels, I can't compete with people who've played them a lot. I'm really good at Super Smash Brothers on N64, but I get killed by people who play Brawl all the time. Add in the pressure of playing in some crazy room with strange controllers and then trying to play on a screen that's 40 feet away in the elimination... You get what you're seeing. It's not a serious legitimate competition where they get a bunch of people to show up to a LAN after practicing all their games for 2 months. If it were they wouldn't be forced to all live in the same house lol. It's just a game themed reality TV show.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
zizou21
Profile Joined September 2006
United States3683 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 22:36:11
March 25 2009 22:34 GMT
#1628
dUDE yes what is up with that TV being so damn far?

and do ppl really play PGR4 with wheels Dx
its me, tasteless,s roomate LOL!
DhakhaR
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United Kingdom721 Posts
March 25 2009 22:42 GMT
#1629
On March 26 2009 07:09 Jibba wrote:
Here's another quote I enjoyed.

Show nested quote +
I'm the WCG PGR4 USA Champion. Can't get much better than that.


Apparently you can.
WCG PGR4 Grand Finals:
1st - Handewasser
2nd - Live
3rd - SteVeK


EDIT: BTW, does anyone know the song being played at around 27 minutes? It's so familiar but I can't figure it out.



ROFL yeah some of the quote are priceless.

the song is probably by Celldweller, and the reason it sounds familiar is because theyve used it at least once in every episode lol. i think its called Stay With Me.

I can definitly agree with Chef that there are many adverse factors contributing to the sub stanrd performances, such as screens, controls, pressure etc etc.
also, i dont think anyone was expecting hyper competitive games because at the end of the day It is a reality TV show and not even things like the CGS, which was supposed to be highly competitive had games like 1.6/SC etc etc.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 22:57:41
March 25 2009 22:57 GMT
#1630
On March 26 2009 07:16 Chef wrote:
Anyway... My point is that a lot of times these players are playing the game for the first time.


But they get a whole day to practice for the competitions, and they're told exactly what they need to practice . For example if you're playing the same (easy) song over and over in Rock Band, it really doesn't take that long to get good at it.

But I can't deny that I'm getting hooked on this show. It annoys me soooo much but I can't stop watching lol.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
March 25 2009 22:59 GMT
#1631
On March 26 2009 07:42 DhakhaR wrote:

ROFL yeah some of the quote are priceless.

the song is probably by Celldweller, and the reason it sounds familiar is because theyve used it at least once in every episode lol. i think its called Stay With Me.

There we go, thanks.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
violett
Profile Joined July 2007
Germany143 Posts
March 25 2009 23:22 GMT
#1632
On March 26 2009 02:27 Chef wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2009 00:56 Klive5ive wrote:
Wow, just watched episode3. Really great episode.
+ Show Spoiler +

I feel gutted for Alyson tbh. To be eliminated before any of her strong games are played and because she was so far ahead in the race at some point.
Seems like Geoff is just sort of ghosting through right now, but he still has his 2 strong genres to come.


+ Show Spoiler [Ep3] +
I did too until I realised she was wearing heels to play a game that involved pedals... That's just dumb lol. Still... It's a shame, since I really don't like Jamal.


she pulled her shoes off on stage before playing, she played with bare feet.

sad she is out, was definitely the cutest one.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 23:27:44
March 25 2009 23:27 GMT
#1633
On March 26 2009 07:00 Kentor wrote:
wtf alyson is not hot. ciji is hot. just look at their figures yo!


Alyson got curves
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
Xenixx
Profile Joined June 2008
United States538 Posts
March 25 2009 23:35 GMT
#1634
some ppl just really like that goth skanky girl look is all... hey men will fuck anything
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 23:47:20
March 25 2009 23:45 GMT
#1635
Haha Dante vs Jamal is funny.

I'm happy that Jamal is still on the show. Allison was cute but he is funnier.
Looking for more drama.

so far:
Good guys ( and girls lol ):
- the girls ( except Chelsea )
- Inc ( obviously )

Neutral:
- Mark
- Swoozie

Vilains:
- Robert ( huge ego + fake killer face )
- Chelsea ( tricky b**** )

Fun people:
- Dante and Jamal

:D

This is getting better and better. I hope the Jamal vs Dante rivalry will stand longer.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
March 25 2009 23:52 GMT
#1636
Damn Inc you lucked out, why didn't you practice? Were you too upset about Kelly?

Dante seemed annoying as fuck at the beginning, and even though he still seems annoying, it looks like he is just being picked on now. He tries to find the best outcome to every situation (and he is in a lot), and yet everyone shits on him anyways. Feel a little bad for him now.
Peace~
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 23:57:34
March 25 2009 23:57 GMT
#1637
On March 26 2009 08:52 fanatacist wrote:
Dante seemed annoying as fuck at the beginning, and even though he still seems annoying, it looks like he is just being picked on now. He tries to find the best outcome to every situation (and he is in a lot), and yet everyone shits on him anyways. Feel a little bad for him now.

Agreed. It seems like the show is being edited to make him look as bad as possible so that we're all rooting for him to get eliminated, sort of like Omarosa from the Apprentice. My guess is that he will be one of the final 2.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-25 23:58:24
March 25 2009 23:57 GMT
#1638
I would agree, except that every time he loses anything, he hangs his head like it's some deep shame. IMO it's melodramatic and hammed up. But then, everyone on the show is really melodramatic... Someone gets eliminated and they act like the person just died. It's ridiculous lol.

He's a gametester though (ie plays lots of games, including the new ones) so I expect he'll get quite far too. It might also be why he's primarily good against computers
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
March 26 2009 00:03 GMT
#1639
On March 26 2009 08:57 Chef wrote:
I would agree, except that every time he loses anything, he hangs his head like it's some deep shame. IMO it's melodramatic and hammed up. But then, everyone on the show is really melodramatic... Someone gets eliminated and they act like the person just died. It's ridiculous lol.

He's a gametester though (ie plays lots of games, including the new ones) so I expect he'll get quite far too. It might also be why he's primarily good against computers

True but there are lots of people like that, and that feeling is definitely magnified in team competitions, more-so with strangers and on a reality TV show. I can't say that I don't understand what he feels, just he is a lot more up front about it.

And I agree with that last statement.
Peace~
Shivaz
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1783 Posts
March 26 2009 00:07 GMT
#1640
On March 26 2009 05:01 DhakhaR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2009 04:34 motbob wrote:
On March 26 2009 04:22 DhakhaR wrote:
Like many people posting here, I am disappointed in the quality of play we have been seeing. Some blame has to be place at the feet of the producers, as the format is pretty terrible:

Eliminations are likely to be the worst player vs and equally bad player or someone much better than them. This results in noob vs noob or just a noob stomp.*

*+ Show Spoiler +
when i say 'noob' i mean in the sense of that game, irrelevant of other gaming strengths.


The Isolation challenges are pretty suspect aswell. The VF5 challenge agaiinst the computers was just silly, and no real test of skill. The PGR laps didnt start with a rolling start as far as i can tell, making the first lap pretty much void.

Additionally, the gamers picked for the show all seem to be focused on one game/genre. Furthermore we have yet to see a competitor playing thier chosen game/genre and stepping it up. I mean no offense to StarSlayer but from the clips shown on the RB2 episode the level of play wasnt that amazing. This may have been down to the editing or whatnot, but a rhythm game expert should not be dropping multiplyers on 'Come out and Play'.

This week i was disappointed that Alyson went home as i was eager to see if she really could shine on Halo 3, as its one of my favorite games and I follow the pro circuit so I would be able to spot if they were actually good. Jamal wasnt great at PGR and considering his speciality is billed as 'fighting games' he wasnt great at VF5 either.
In terms of PGR, I didnt see one perfect corner. Again this may come down to editing and the terrible Elimination format, but i really expected better.

/rant

If you want to find out if it's editing or not, just play a few games with one of the people involved. They seem pretty friendly and would probably be willing to play a few rounds of PGR4 or Halo with you.


I hope my post didnt come off the wrong way. I'm not attempting to say that i could take down this competition (although I'd LOVE a shot haha).

I'm mainly just annoyed at the producers. considering the show is the Ultimate Gamer, a very small portion of the show is based on games and like Luddite said, considering its the search for the best all round gamer there are some terrible performances.

Concerning actually playing with them, I would love to. Imo you get better when you lose, so if i am really outclassed then at least i'll learn something.

for those interested in H3, here is Alysons profile
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/RankHistory.aspx?player=Nin9tyNin9

She has a high rank and progressed quickly which is impressive, although it doesnt show the game with her highst skill. I'm guessing its Team Swat, given her high Battle Rifle percentage.


Rather disappointed after looking at those stats after Alyson claimed she "destorys". Having more death than kills is not very good at all.

Anyone who has played Halo 3 knows the ranking system is not very accurate and having a high rank and playing against someone high rank does not in anyway mean you are good and/or you are playing someone very good. All it takes to reach high ranks is playing time.

If anyone actually cares here is my account when I played Halo 3 casually with my friends when they forced me into buying that game. (Note: I am not bragging about my Halo "skills" at all, infact my stats are pretty bad as well considering the online difficulty of that game)

http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/CareerStats.aspx?player=The Shivaz

Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 146 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta0
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O124
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10200
Artosis 626
ZZZero.O 124
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
League of Legends
Doublelift5059
JimRising 181
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4293
Other Games
summit1g8779
FrodaN2348
Liquid`RaSZi2060
C9.Mang0298
Livibee194
ToD179
Pyrionflax109
Maynarde103
ArmadaUGS48
Mew2King39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1143
StarCraft 2
CranKy Ducklings17
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• musti20045 40
• Sammyuel 30
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1502
• Scarra687
• Shiphtur615
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 53m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.