• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:09
CEST 02:09
KST 09:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7351 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 3250

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 3248 3249 3250 3251 3252 6000 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
June 22 2021 00:04 GMT
#64981
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 00:32 GMT
#64982
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

So I just want to be very specific: I am not saying people should be less involved.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 00:34 GMT
#64983
On June 22 2021 07:13 plasmidghost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Maybe from your perspective, but I have to worry every day of my life that the GOP is going to legislate my community out of existence like they've been trying all year


True but what do you really get out of being hyper-aware of everything? Remember the recent Texas thing? It didn't end up happening, so did you really benefit from knowing about it at all? Wouldn't you be happier if you didn't know about it to begin with? There are of course plenty of things that are good to know about, but I think people should take an opportunity to consider "wait, is what I am doing a good thing?"
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12022 Posts
June 22 2021 04:14 GMT
#64984
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 05:37 GMT
#64985
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
June 22 2021 07:55 GMT
#64986
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Archeon
Profile Joined May 2011
3274 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-06-22 08:31:37
June 22 2021 08:20 GMT
#64987
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.


Sweet summer child. Germany has maybe 40 years of unity within the last 2k years. And then Prussia finally drew their first real moron for the throne.

Like believe me, Germany knows everything there is to know about civil war and divide.

On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.

I'd assume that that strongly diverges based on age group. Like most of the Germans older than 60 don't give a flying fuck and these are a lot. Most of them don't even have internet. Most of the early teens or pre-teens don't give a fuck either according to my experience, although they numerically barely matter.
low gravity, yes-yes!
StasisField
Profile Joined August 2013
United States1086 Posts
June 22 2021 08:24 GMT
#64988
On June 22 2021 09:34 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 07:13 plasmidghost wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Maybe from your perspective, but I have to worry every day of my life that the GOP is going to legislate my community out of existence like they've been trying all year


True but what do you really get out of being hyper-aware of everything? Remember the recent Texas thing? It didn't end up happening, so did you really benefit from knowing about it at all? Wouldn't you be happier if you didn't know about it to begin with? There are of course plenty of things that are good to know about, but I think people should take an opportunity to consider "wait, is what I am doing a good thing?"

People in truly oppressive positions can't afford to not be "hyper-aware of everything" because the minute they stop could be the minute they lose even more rights or even their lives. I think plasmidghost's constant concern over the GOP's efforts against trans people is a great example of why people on the left like GH and myself take such issue with the Brunch Democrats. Just because Orange Man is gone does not mean things are better. The GOP is doing so much at the state level to harm the American people and they're doing a great job of stone-walling at the federal level to make sure Congress can't do anything about it with legislation. Sure, Trump is out of the White House but things can definitely still get worse even with him gone.
What do you mean Immortals can't shoot up?
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 13:23 GMT
#64989
On June 22 2021 16:55 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.


His country used to be divided. Mine still is. That’s what I was saying lol
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-06-22 14:01:44
June 22 2021 13:52 GMT
#64990
Since I know there are more than a few west coast folks on this board:

You can still buy air purifiers and furnace filters online. Time to stock up. You know the fires will be back this year so don't wait until then to stock up on air filters. Remember to also buy lots of tape to seal up your doors and windows. I wasn't able to get my particle levels in my home down to healthy levels until I taped my doors/windows last year.

Now to make this thread-appropriate: I hope Kate Brown doesn't give a helicopter to Afghanistan this time. I am confident Biden will help more than Trump did.
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
June 22 2021 14:47 GMT
#64991
--- Nuked ---
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-06-22 15:40:03
June 22 2021 15:23 GMT
#64992
On June 22 2021 22:23 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 16:55 KwarK wrote:
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.


His country used to be divided. Mine still is. That’s what I was saying lol

Half of what used to be Germany is currently in Poland buddy. Another big chunk likes to go by the name Austria. The United States will never be as divided as Germany has been because Germany as a united entity is a bit of a fiction. Much of the 19th Century was spent with German speakers trying to work out what Germany was and how that would work with the non German elements of the German states, principally the Austrian (and later the Austro-Hungarian) Empire. Everyone was pretty sure that Austria would lead the other German states but Austria didn’t want to give up their multiethnic Balkan empire and so you end up with a Prussian dominated Germany that excludes the large amount of German speaking land under Austrian rule. Then Germany briefly takes over Eastern Europe in 1917 before being split into a dozen states based on somewhat arbitrary territorial divisions with lots of Germans in Czechoslovakia, Poland, Estonia, and France. Plus Switzerland which was just doing its own thing. Austria hasn’t got Hungary anymore so they get the band back together for one last shot at greater Germany but end up split into an even weirder shape because the Soviets wanted more land but the Poles wanted the same amount of land as before and so Poland was moved a hundred miles west onto Germany which was now three countries if you include Austria. They’re back to just nominally two countries now, Germany and Austria, but a fair chunk of historical German speaking land isn’t in either of them.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 15:27 GMT
#64993
On June 23 2021 00:23 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 22:23 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 16:55 KwarK wrote:
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.


His country used to be divided. Mine still is. That’s what I was saying lol

Half of what used to be Germany is currently in Poland buddy.


It feels like you are trying to pretend I am misunderstanding. I am not. Germany is a united country. The US is not. I am aware history exists and that current Germany is not previous Germany. Germany got mad at each other and ended up parting ways. The US decided neither one could afford their own place so they still live together. The cultural civil war never ended and is the reason we have our current issues. If you still don't understand what I am trying to say, I am not bothered by it.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12022 Posts
June 22 2021 15:28 GMT
#64994
There are a bunch of east-west conflicts in Germany currently.
PoulsenB
Profile Joined June 2011
Poland7760 Posts
June 22 2021 15:33 GMT
#64995
On June 23 2021 00:23 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2021 22:23 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 16:55 KwarK wrote:
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 06:54 Mohdoo wrote:
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how much less all of us think about politics nowadays. So thankful

Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.


His country used to be divided. Mine still is. That’s what I was saying lol

Half of what used to be Germany is currently in Poland buddy.

But the Germans in that part did not stay there when Poland took over, they were forcibly removed and Polish settlers were brouhgt in from the eastern territories we lost to USSR. And nobody in Germany (except of some fringe groups) is crying out for Poland to give the land back.
IdrA fan forever <3 || the clueless one || Marci must be protected at all costs
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 22 2021 15:35 GMT
#64996
On June 23 2021 00:28 Simberto wrote:
There are a bunch of east-west conflicts in Germany currently.


Then maybe I just don't know enough about German politics. From my perspective, you guys have not had any failed insurrections lately or anything close to that. I do not hear about German families being completely torn apart due to elections, but maybe it happens. Here in the US, most families have started to splinter into their conservative and liberal components, whether they say it or not.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for me to learn. And just to be clear, this is not a dick measuring contest. Are you saying there are issues currently going on in Germany that indicate Germany is equally divided as the US right now?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-06-22 16:16:31
June 22 2021 15:37 GMT
#64997
On June 23 2021 00:33 PoulsenB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2021 00:23 KwarK wrote:
On June 22 2021 22:23 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 16:55 KwarK wrote:
On June 22 2021 14:37 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 13:14 Simberto wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:32 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 09:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:30 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 22 2021 07:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]
Not all of us, but the back to brunch crowd seems to have returned to their comfort zone of hoping for better things while perpetuating the not good things as many predicted from my perspective.


Hyper-fixation is a common response to anxiety. When people focus on something bad, it makes them feel artificially more prepared. It isn't healthy. There were major mental health issues created by Trump's presidency. I'm still involved and I still care, but it is important for people to give themselves a mental health break too.

Think there's a difference between a mental health break and just generally/currently thinking less about politics while Trump is not president (Biden's been president for ~5 months).

I (and many others on the left) don't have the same appreciation for people "thinking less about politics nowadays" and find it undesirable. I'd agree the fixation on and centralizing of Trump in people's politics wasn't helpful imo. Moreover, that it's emblematic of all the forecasts about what to expect from the "back to brunch" Democrats for the reasons laid out around the election and since.

I think not fixating on and centralizing Trump (as an individual) in one's political thoughts is good, and breaks are fine, but the faded political awareness/engagement isn't something to be welcomed imo.


For me its all about using your emotional energy efficiently. For most people, the amount of time they spend thinking/consuming political stuff is 1000000x the time they spend DOING anything political. By all means, people should be as active in politics as they can physically muster. But people DO NOT benefit from f5'ing every politics website they know of. A lot of people essentially torture themselves with negative information because it gives them a fake sense of being in control of their lives.

Is that really true, though? I have recently heard (and absolutely not fact-checked) that in Germany, people on average spend about 5 minutes/week with politics. I think that the selection bias of "people who discuss politics on the internet" greatly shifts the perception of how much time people actually spend on politics.


It must be nice to live in a country that has a shared identity but we never ended our civil war.

Not sure how much luck you’ll have complaining about how your country was divided to a German.


His country used to be divided. Mine still is. That’s what I was saying lol

Half of what used to be Germany is currently in Poland buddy.

But the Germans in that part did not stay there when Poland took over, they were forcibly removed and Polish settlers were brouhgt in from the eastern territories we lost to USSR. And nobody in Germany (except of some fringe groups) is crying out for Poland to give the land back.

I know, I’m saying that the idea that because there is a country called Germany does not mean that there was no division. There was a country called the United States during the US Civil War but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t divided. Germany is like the poster child for a nation divided by war, they’re just not as sore losers as the Confederates (they were pretty sore losers after WW1 but got most of that out of their system in the 1940s). There’s currently more than one German country and it’s not even located in the right historical place.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Silvanel
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
Poland4769 Posts
June 22 2021 18:44 GMT
#64998
For those who do not know, thats how Germany looked around the time of American independence: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Europe_1783-1792_en.png

And thats how it looked around the time of US Civil War: https://omniatlas.com/maps/europe/18600529/

Hardly a united country. Divided by religion, politics, culture and history. United only by language.

Pathetic Greta hater.
AlexJuvion
Profile Joined June 2021
1 Post
June 23 2021 06:03 GMT
#64999
--- Nuked ---
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
June 23 2021 06:23 GMT
#65000
I think people might just be a little extra burnt out from 2020 to really want to dig back in. Most people voted for biden because he was a safe boring old white dude in a nightmare year for politics.

We truly live in the age of a lack of conclusions.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Prev 1 3248 3249 3250 3251 3252 6000 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 229
SpeCial 121
ViBE99
Nathanias 76
ProTech16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11969
Rain 1364
GuemChi 881
Artosis 647
Bale 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever357
Counter-Strike
minikerr2
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox788
Mew2King106
Other Games
summit1g6413
Liquid`RaSZi2148
shahzam644
WinterStarcraft412
JimRising 392
C9.Mang0331
Trikslyr56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick701
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• davetesta10
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Heroes of the Storm
• SuperDab0
Other Games
• Shiphtur245
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 51m
INu's Battles
10h 51m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
12h 51m
OSC
22h 6m
Replay Cast
22h 51m
OSC
1d 22h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.