• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:34
CEST 19:34
KST 02:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9882 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 1710

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 5997 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
July 24 2019 13:42 GMT
#34181
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.

Neosteel Enthusiast
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 13:53:07
July 24 2019 13:46 GMT
#34182
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 13:55:14
July 24 2019 13:51 GMT
#34183
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.

Yes, there have been several media interviews with people trapped in the Fox bubble that have indicated they literally don’t know what is in the report. Having people explicitly talking about it may help inform people of what is going on.

Edit: but yes I agree that this probably won’t change anything and those who are too far into the bubble won’t see any of this anyway.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
July 24 2019 13:52 GMT
#34184
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this. I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.

Heh. I'm actually quite pessimistic by now and kind of agree with your assessment. The system does not seem to be very resistant to consistently giving it the middle finger.
Neosteel Enthusiast
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:15:36
July 24 2019 14:03 GMT
#34185
On July 24 2019 22:51 Ben... wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.

Yes, there have been several media interviews with people trapped in the Fox bubble that have indicated they literally don’t know what is in the report. Having people explicitly talking about it may help inform people of what is going on.

Edit: but yes I agree that this probably won’t change anything and those who are too far into the bubble won’t see any of this anyway.


This hoping Republicans would change their opinions if they heard this stuff has always bought into Republican's own bullshit too much for me.

At the political level at least (and wide swaths of the electorate) their problem with Trump isn't his bigotry, criminality, etc... it's that he makes it hard for them to pretend it's not real/problematic/beliefs they share. "I wouldn't say it like that..." is a common refrain, but it's not that they disagree with what he's saying, but that he didn't say it in a way that allows "plausible" deniability of the worst aspects of it.

EDIT: The difference in perspective of the US/electorate is what allowed a lot of people like me to see Trump's success/avoiding accountability coming while a lot of professional pollsters, pundits, and people in general were caught completely off guard.

Trump isn't an anomaly imo, but an inevitability of the US. If it wasn't Trump specifically, another Trump like figure was coming.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 24 2019 14:11 GMT
#34186
--- Nuked ---
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
July 24 2019 14:13 GMT
#34187
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
July 24 2019 14:14 GMT
#34188
Crazy how you can be blind and recognize Republicans 90% of the time by their characteristic Southern-ish accent.

Had a bit of time this morning to tune in and try seeing what the hype was about, good lord what a waste of time. Not a single person (Mueller included) is interested in further objective analysis of the report and are instead driving through whatever talking points they want, with Mueller agreeing with Dems and forcing Repubs to soliloquy. Sunk cost fallacy is keeping me watching though (I’ve already spent this long watching, surely SOMETHING meaningful will come out of this!)
Hakuna Matata B*tches
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:20:49
July 24 2019 14:16 GMT
#34189
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
July 24 2019 14:23 GMT
#34190
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:28:02
July 24 2019 14:25 GMT
#34191
Why are republicans angry that he wrote a lot of words

I guess I shouldnt take Gaetz too seriously. He's really really mad that he had to read 3500 words
Neosteel Enthusiast
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:26:17
July 24 2019 14:25 GMT
#34192
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


He’s implying the checks and balances system was actually designed from the beginning to benefit those who were in power, while putting up the facade that its purpose was to serve as a just and fair government system.
Hakuna Matata B*tches
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:31:00
July 24 2019 14:26 GMT
#34193
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?

On July 24 2019 23:25 Ryzel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


He’s implying the checks and balances system was actually designed from the beginning to benefit those who were in power, while putting up the facade that its purpose was to serve as a just and fair government system.


My experiences and research has lead me to that conclusion, so I'm asking others to ask themselves whether what they believe/d matches the reality of US checks and balances past and present.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
July 24 2019 14:31 GMT
#34194
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
July 24 2019 14:37 GMT
#34195
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?

Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:25 Ryzel wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


He’s implying the checks and balances system was actually designed from the beginning to benefit those who were in power, while putting up the facade that its purpose was to serve as a just and fair government system.


My experiences and research has lead me to that conclusion, so I'm asking others to ask themselves whether what they believe/d matches the reality of US checks and balances past and present.


My current impression is that it certainly doesn’t seem to be effective today, but I have trouble understanding how the concept of judicial, executive, and legislative branches holding each other accountable results in concentrating power into ingroups. The exception, of course, is if there was an ingroup that the majority of each of those three branches belonged to. Which for a while there was (landowning white dudes), but given that there’s a lot less of those proportionally today than 200 years ago, that would imply it’s doing a bad job at that as well, right?
Hakuna Matata B*tches
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:42:33
July 24 2019 14:38 GMT
#34196
On July 24 2019 23:31 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.


Not exactly what "checks and balances" is supposed to refer to, but point taken. I think you can still answer the question in that context though. With the limitation of "making sure the president isn't a complete lunatic" is that something it's doing/done or simply something it does in name only?

On July 24 2019 23:37 Ryzel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
I don't think the clips for this are going to be worth much politically and holding Trump accountable for his campaign and presidency is basically completely off the table now. The best we'll get is keeping him to one term and giving him a pile of money as far as I can tell.

Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?

On July 24 2019 23:25 Ryzel wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
[quote]
Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


He’s implying the checks and balances system was actually designed from the beginning to benefit those who were in power, while putting up the facade that its purpose was to serve as a just and fair government system.


My experiences and research has lead me to that conclusion, so I'm asking others to ask themselves whether what they believe/d matches the reality of US checks and balances past and present.


My current impression is that it certainly doesn’t seem to be effective today, but I have trouble understanding how the concept of judicial, executive, and legislative branches holding each other accountable results in concentrating power into ingroups. The exception, of course, is if there was an ingroup that the majority of each of those three branches belonged to. Which for a while there was (landowning white dudes), but given that there’s a lot less of those proportionally today than 200 years ago, that would imply it’s doing a bad job at that as well, right?


The capitalist class would be the largest umbrella group with increasing shares of power and wealth as you tread through white club and approach the oligarchs of US society (which granted, is more phenotypically diverse than it was before). + Show Spoiler +
That might not make a lot of sense if you didn't follow those conversations here in the thread. If so let me know and I can reword it.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
July 24 2019 14:42 GMT
#34197
On July 24 2019 23:38 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:31 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:27 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
[quote]
Yeah I think it's sad but true

All the Sessions/Rosenstein manipulation stuff sure does sound really bad for Trump when spoken out loud though. Maybe it will have an effect on everyone who didnt read it


None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.


Not exactly what "checks and balances" is supposed to refer to, but point taken. I think you can still answer the question in that context though. With the limitation of "making sure the president isn't a complete lunatic" is that something it's doing/done or simply something it does in name only?
It, eventually, removed Nixon. Its not going to remove Trump.
And yeah sure complain about Nixon getting away with it, but atleast something happened.
Which is a lot more then we're seeing now.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 14:49:37
July 24 2019 14:43 GMT
#34198
On July 24 2019 23:42 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:38 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:31 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:37 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]

None of this is anything that wasn't reported and exaggerated for months if not years before the report came out. The report was basically less bad than the years of reporting on what it would say before it.

That's to say the report is less damning than it was billed to be (and even described by media after it came out) so it's more likely to result in feelings of disappointment for Democrats and "meh" for Republicans.

Mueller was supposed to be a fire-breathing locomotive of justice and he turned out to be a power wheels car with half a charge.

A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.


Not exactly what "checks and balances" is supposed to refer to, but point taken. I think you can still answer the question in that context though. With the limitation of "making sure the president isn't a complete lunatic" is that something it's doing/done or simply something it does in name only?
It, eventually, removed Nixon. Its not going to remove Trump.
And yeah sure complain about Nixon getting away with it, but atleast something happened.
Which is a lot more then we're seeing now.


I mean it didn't technically remove him, he walked away (before he could potentially be forced, who knows what might have happened if he would have called their bet and made them vote him out) with a bag of money and 0 accountability from my perspective.

"More than now" is vague and a pretty low bar, and retiring with loads of cash and your freedom isn't what I would consider accountability or "making sure the president wasn't a lunatic".
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 15:08:07
July 24 2019 15:04 GMT
#34199
On July 24 2019 23:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:38 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:31 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
[quote]
A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.


Not exactly what "checks and balances" is supposed to refer to, but point taken. I think you can still answer the question in that context though. With the limitation of "making sure the president isn't a complete lunatic" is that something it's doing/done or simply something it does in name only?
It, eventually, removed Nixon. Its not going to remove Trump.
And yeah sure complain about Nixon getting away with it, but atleast something happened.
Which is a lot more then we're seeing now.


I mean it didn't technically remove him, he walked away (before he could potentially be forced, who knows what might have happened if he would have called their bet and made them vote him out) with a bag of money and 0 accountability from my perspective.

"More than now" is vague and a pretty low bar, and retiring with loads of cash and your freedom isn't what I would consider accountability or "making sure the president wasn't a lunatic".


He also has a nice center dedicated to him in Yorba Linda. Very classy, talks about all the great things he did. No mention of the scandal. Elementary schools go there for field trips all the time.

AFA our convo GH, I’ve been keeping up with the thread and I believe I’m familiar with the White Club terminology being used, but I’m unclear which ingroup you’re referring to; White Club or capitalists? And if a capitalist is defined by one who owns the means of production, isn’t it almost tautological to say that members of the capitalist ingroup have all the power?

By that I mean, wouldn’t it be more likely that the government being filled with capitalists is a byproduct of a capitalist society than as a byproduct of checks and balances?
Hakuna Matata B*tches
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
July 24 2019 15:09 GMT
#34200
On July 24 2019 23:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 24 2019 23:42 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:38 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:31 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:23 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:16 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 23:13 Gorsameth wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:46 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 24 2019 22:42 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
[quote]
A lot of republicans wouldn't have followed the reporting because evil fake news media. So for them it could be a first.



If they managed to not hear it this long, I'm pretty sure they won't get it from this (how would this penetrate their bubble more effectively than the last 2 years of non-stop coverage?). I appreciate the undying optimism from folks though. The question I suppose is whether the system is dysfunctional or working as intended. I think it's far too consistent in protecting powerful people from accountability for this to not be a feature rather than a bug.
The governmental system of checks and balances is certainly dysfunctional, I think that much is plain to see.


Is it? Or just dysfunctional relative to its nominal purpose?
what do you mean? Its way to warm here for mental exercise. Speak plainly.


Do US "checks and balances" function to ensure that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups generally or is that simply their nominal (in name only) purpose?
Considering you have a President and a 2 party system its purpose is entirely designed to concentrate power in the hands of individual and groups.

I'm talking about Congress making sure the President isn't a complete lunatic.


Not exactly what "checks and balances" is supposed to refer to, but point taken. I think you can still answer the question in that context though. With the limitation of "making sure the president isn't a complete lunatic" is that something it's doing/done or simply something it does in name only?
It, eventually, removed Nixon. Its not going to remove Trump.
And yeah sure complain about Nixon getting away with it, but atleast something happened.
Which is a lot more then we're seeing now.


I mean it didn't technically remove him, he walked away (before he could potentially be forced, who knows what might have happened if he would have called their bet and made them vote him out) with a bag of money and 0 accountability from my perspective.

"More than now" is vague and a pretty low bar, and retiring with loads of cash and your freedom isn't what I would consider accountability or "making sure the president wasn't a lunatic".
And?
Show me somewhere where those in power are actually held accountable and I will show you a fantasy.

Welcome to life.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Prev 1 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 5997 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 311
ProTech171
UpATreeSC 112
BRAT_OK 76
MindelVK 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3376
Bisu 1986
Soulkey 1066
EffOrt 649
Mini 419
Larva 396
ZerO 211
Dewaltoss 168
hero 95
Sharp 82
[ Show more ]
Mind 74
sorry 62
Shinee 58
Sea.KH 39
Barracks 35
Bale 26
Trap 26
Terrorterran 22
ToSsGirL 18
NaDa 18
Rock 13
scan(afreeca) 13
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6153
Dendi1465
XaKoH 430
420jenkins345
League of Legends
Reynor70
Counter-Strike
fl0m4202
pashabiceps783
Fnx 663
x6flipin623
edward33
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu423
Other Games
Grubby2283
Liquid`RaSZi1575
FrodaN704
XBOCT262
Livibee189
TKL 131
C9.Mang0118
QueenE87
RotterdaM43
Mew2King34
ZerO(Twitch)21
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 63
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV622
League of Legends
• Nemesis3086
• TFBlade781
Other Games
• Shiphtur621
• imaqtpie417
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 26m
Patches Events
22h 26m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.