• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:04
CEST 18:04
KST 01:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9395 users

How many REAL friend do you have? - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
October 04 2006 23:43 GMT
#21
As you get older, finish school, and everybody moves on, you definately realize who your real friends are.

Once it becomes an effort to stay in touch, and you don't see every single person you know every single day, it changes things. Some people, who you considered friends, simply aren't worth the effort.

What I mean is this - my entire graduating class at highschool was pretty tight. It was ~300 people and you'd party with different people 5 nights a week, all of whome were friends. At this point in my life I thought of about 50 of these people as my 'close' friends. Enter University - again, a tight class where everyone drank together and hung out together every night. I became close friends with about 20 of these guys, and stopped talking to about 30 of the 50 people from highschool. I continued to meet new people but would think "gee, this seems like a good guy. I bet we could be good friends if I actually wanted another fucking friend."

Priorities change. In highschool, you want lots of friends. You want lots to do and you want to be a part of as many social groups as you can get your fingers in. Everything is a popularity contest and you need lots of friends to feel adequate.

Nowadays, all I care about is have a few good friends to drinks beers with and watch the hockey game.

I know who my real friends are - they are the ones who I could not talk to for 6 months and it didn't matter. I didn't need to keep in touch with them because our friendships didn't require constant attention and maintenance to keep running. I could only see them twice a year while I was away at school but that was fine - no catching up was necessary. The friendship simply resumed as it always had.

So, now that I'm done rambling, I can say that if I were to have a party there would be about 40-50 people I'd make sure to call. About 20 of those I would really hope to show up above the others. About 5 of those would be there already drinking all of my beer the day before. They are my real friends.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-10-04 23:50:25
October 04 2006 23:47 GMT
#22
Flaccid sums it up very nicely I think. Again, that's why I said that most of you who say 10+ are just in school. When you get out of school for a while, see what happens.

To throw myself into this, I'd say I have around 30 people or so I'd consider good friends, but only 4-5 non-family people who I feel I could trust with anything.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
October 04 2006 23:49 GMT
#23
it's easy to think of someone as your "real" friend by definition when you are in high school or college, because you are in an environment where you regularly see them every day.

once you graduate and are working or move to different locations and it takes lots of effort to hang out (rather than just show up to school or walk down the hall) then you really see who you're friends with. its super easy to be "close friends" with someone when they are conveniently near. most people who are in HS or college who are reading this no doubt are thinking "whatever, these guys/girls i will stick with forever, they will always be there" but trust me, you are wrong. you will always feel the sense of nostalgia, but you'll see them less and less and become more distant and everyone will get new friends who are more convenient to hang out with. you will always be their friend, but you will never have the closeness you once did--sucks but it just happens that way.

Firebatlover, that's what ETT means, its not a personal attack, please don't throw a hissy fit. You will realize eventually that its literally impossible once you're out of college to maintain 10+ true friendships by the definition of the thread creator. You simply are in different locations and don't have the time you did during school.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 04 2006 23:50 GMT
#24
By your definition, there are about 10 from university and 6-7 from home. I don't know why this is so hard for you to believe.
Moderator
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
October 04 2006 23:51 GMT
#25
he is saying you are just in school, its easy to maintain friendships there... wait until after you graduate.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
October 04 2006 23:53 GMT
#26
Even moreso, wait til people start getting married O_O.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 04 2006 23:54 GMT
#27
I'm not in school. Thanks for your sweeping assumptions though.
Moderator
Binky1842
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States2599 Posts
October 04 2006 23:57 GMT
#28
"Someone you can really trust on and who can help you when you have problems and you are 100% sure that he will never betray you etc...REAL friend ok?"

1 for me.
I have a hard time trusting people 100%
"The zoo could not confirm that Binky was the attacker, but only Binky had blood on his face following the incident"
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
October 05 2006 00:04 GMT
#29
On October 05 2006 08:54 Chill wrote:
I'm not in school. Thanks for your sweeping assumptions though.

its funny that you are having such an attitude about this.

maybe you are just this amazing person who everyone is just best friends with, or maybe you just have a weaker definition of "close friend" than everyone else.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-10-05 00:28:12
October 05 2006 00:17 GMT
#30
On October 05 2006 08:50 Chill wrote:
By your definition, there are about 10 from university and 6-7 from home. I don't know why this is so hard for you to believe.


It's not 'hard to believe', but trust me, you're just in school. There is the obvious convenience factor, and that'll change once you're out. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just being honest. Try telling me a year+ out of school that you still have 16-17 REAL friends you can trust with ANYTHING.

Edit - I was working on this post intermittently at work, so I didn't see you claiming you're not at school. I strongly suspect you're either just fresh out of school, or you're claiming you're friendships are stronger than they really are(or you're lying and are still in school). I'm not trying to be cynical or difficult, but it's just what I've seen, from my own experiences and from others.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 05 2006 00:20 GMT
#31
An attitude? Everything I've posted has been immediately challenged.

have a lot of friends from university and some from home.


Those can't all be good friends

By your definition there are around 15 good friends.


That's because your in school.

I'm not in school. Thanks for your sweeping assumptions though.


You have an attitude. You're either sarcastically amazing, or have an inferior definition of friend.


Yea you're right, I guess I have an attitude now because you make it sound like it's actually not possible to have 10+ close friends. I say it is. If you've lived in two different places or more, it's not difficult ot have 6 close friends at each place and keep them after you move. You don't have to be "this amazing person who every is just best friends with."
Moderator
HeMaN
Profile Joined October 2002
275 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-10-05 00:25:19
October 05 2006 00:22 GMT
#32
3 maybe.

and it's true what people pointed out, i've met some really close friends during school, like the kind of friends I did trust to 100% and we did all kind of shit and got a long history together, but when people grow older, mature, graduate, move, find new social circles etc. you meet them less and less untill they just fade away from your life.

some time ago I caught up with this old friend of mine who I haven't really seen after we graduated, i've hung with him for over 10 years, we always planned how we would do all kinds of crazy shit after we graduated, like backpack traveling the world and shit. anyway I met him and found out he had a wife and kid, he had really matured. I couldn't believe this was the same crazy dude from high school who always wanted to make bongs out of everything. we were in completly different periods of life it felt awkward taling to him
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 05 2006 00:22 GMT
#33
Holy shit. I'm not in school.
Moderator
Vo-
Profile Joined November 2004
United States435 Posts
October 05 2006 00:24 GMT
#34
5. But I also consider my girlfriend to be one of those.
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
October 05 2006 00:26 GMT
#35
so you're saying in 10-15 years you're still going to have these people at some random location you lived at for a few years be your "close friends" ?

as i said, you just have a weaker definition of the term than most... id expect your "close friends" to be people who are your friends for life
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
ImRaveTastic
Profile Joined January 2006
Canada25 Posts
October 05 2006 00:28 GMT
#36
2 Real Friends, plus my Girlfriend Which has done more for me then any friend, So 3

I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
October 05 2006 00:31 GMT
#37
Saying i have 10 REAL friends is one step away in absurdity from i have 10 REAL loves of my life.
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
Return
Profile Joined June 2005
Ivory Coast859 Posts
October 05 2006 00:33 GMT
#38
ETT and Hot_Bid can you people stop be so narrowminded. Chill has said he is no longer in school and u people still use that as your one and only argument. Even tho he has said its false.
Seriously just chill.

I'd say i have 4 that i would consider REAL CLOSE FRIENDS.
Diiiscoo-oh, thats where the happy people go!
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-10-05 00:36:02
October 05 2006 00:34 GMT
#39
On October 05 2006 09:33 Return wrote:
ETT and Hot_Bid can you people stop be so narrowminded. Chill has said he is no longer in school and u people still use that as your one and only argument. Even tho he has said its false.
Seriously just chill.

I'd say i have 4 that i would consider REAL CLOSE FRIENDS.

if you read what i wrote i said he probably just has a weaker definition of "close friend" than everyone else here and is a little too optimistic about his chances of keeping his friends at the places he's moved away from

thats two more reasons i've stated than my "one and only argument" of him being at school

plus he's likely not more than 1 year removed from school, so it still kinda applies
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
vGl-CoW
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Belgium8305 Posts
October 05 2006 00:37 GMT
#40
wow this thread sure went down the shitter

i agree with ETT's definition but you guys need to lay back and just accept that someone has a bunch of really good close friends
Moderatorfollow me on twitter if u think ur so tough @BooyaCow
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 93
BRAT_OK 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5026
Bisu 1945
Soulkey 1609
EffOrt 828
Mini 596
Horang2 388
Larva 357
ZerO 327
ggaemo 255
actioN 251
[ Show more ]
Yoon 116
Dewaltoss 112
Mind 92
sorry 84
hero 76
Shinee 70
Sharp 70
Barracks 65
Sea.KH 63
Pusan 57
Snow 48
Hyun 43
Bale 33
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 20
Rock 17
Terrorterran 16
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 11
Noble 9
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5500
qojqva2516
Dendi1281
420jenkins290
League of Legends
Reynor65
Counter-Strike
fl0m3168
x6flipin1212
Fnx 673
edward40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes365
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1272
hiko1039
B2W.Neo448
DeMusliM316
XBOCT255
Livibee231
Liquid`VortiX211
FrodaN180
QueenE98
TKL 49
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)19
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV72
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 76
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV630
League of Legends
• Nemesis3660
• TFBlade587
Other Games
• Shiphtur474
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 56m
Patches Events
23h 56m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.