• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:07
CEST 22:07
KST 05:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6539 users

UK Politics Mega-thread - Page 31

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 648 Next
In order to ensure that this thread meets TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we ask that everyone please adhere to this mod note.

Posts containing only Tweets or articles adds nothing to the discussions. Therefore, when providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments will be actioned upon.

All in all, please continue to enjoy posting in TL General and partake in discussions as much as you want! But please be respectful when posting or replying to someone. There is a clear difference between constructive criticism/discussion and just plain being rude and insulting.

https://www.registertovote.service.gov.uk
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 10:20 GMT
#601
On September 24 2013 19:17 Zaros wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2013 19:11 Zealos wrote:
I think Miliband might be alright. He's just a shocking public speaker with no mass appeal.
It'll be interesting in the run up to the election as more and more of Labours policies get revealed.


I can't really think of anything worse tbh, at least David Cameron somewhat believes in the market and people, Miliband is openly hostile and would be an embarrassment on the world stage lol.

Openly hostile in what sense?
And regardless of the pro's and con's of Cameron himself, with only a small majority, the radical right parts of his party would have much more of a say in their policies, which seems like a disaster in waiting.
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom9999 Posts
September 24 2013 10:25 GMT
#602
David Cameron is openly hostile to about 50% of the people in this country.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 10:39 GMT
#603
On September 24 2013 19:25 Jockmcplop wrote:
David Cameron is openly hostile to about 50% of the people in this country.

When has he been openly hostile to 50% of the country?
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
September 24 2013 10:47 GMT
#604
I think it's embarrassing that economically sound policy seems to be diametrically opposed to what people want out of their country

I don't know whether that's due to economic illiteracy or simply the effect of incentives for oneself over the greater whole

The worst part about it is that economics isn't an exact science either as there are so many conflicting views, but we are usually assured that the result we get is the worst of both worlds...
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 10:57 GMT
#605
I don't understand your point. Do you mean that people don't understand that the best for the country isn't always themselves having as much money as possible or?
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44321 Posts
September 24 2013 11:05 GMT
#606
On September 24 2013 19:47 BrTarolg wrote:
I think it's embarrassing that economically sound policy seems to be diametrically opposed to what people want out of their country

I don't know whether that's due to economic illiteracy or simply the effect of incentives for oneself over the greater whole

The worst part about it is that economics isn't an exact science either as there are so many conflicting views, but we are usually assured that the result we get is the worst of both worlds...

I find it incredibly unlikely that you have any grasp upon what economically sound policy is, nor the knowledge to actually make such a judgement. The fact that you think you do is even more surprising and speaks volumes about you, Socrates has this to say about people like you.
I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do.


For the record, the economy of a country functions differently to that of a household and national debts function differently to credit cards.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Dapper_Cad
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom964 Posts
September 24 2013 11:45 GMT
#607
On September 24 2013 20:05 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2013 19:47 BrTarolg wrote:
I think it's embarrassing that economically sound policy seems to be diametrically opposed to what people want out of their country

I don't know whether that's due to economic illiteracy or simply the effect of incentives for oneself over the greater whole

The worst part about it is that economics isn't an exact science either as there are so many conflicting views, but we are usually assured that the result we get is the worst of both worlds...

I find it incredibly unlikely that you have any grasp upon what economically sound policy is, nor the knowledge to actually make such a judgement. The fact that you think you do is even more surprising and speaks volumes about you, Socrates has this to say about people like you.
Show nested quote +
I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do.


For the record, the economy of a country functions differently to that of a household and national debts function differently to credit cards.


Probably should also mention that economics is not a science at all. Anyone that says it is either doesnt understand science or doesnt understand economics.
But he is never making short-term prediction, everyone of his prediction are based on fundenmentals, but he doesn't exactly know when it will happen... So using these kind of narrowed "who-is-right" empirical analysis makes little sense.
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
September 24 2013 14:44 GMT
#608
So Ed Miliband wants price controls, land seizures 1970s NHS, I think he is definitely red Ed.
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 16:20:19
September 24 2013 16:07 GMT
#609
I think that the energy sector is just an easy target for politicians (and the media) because prices have increased a lot recently, when the fact is that the increases have been to cover new environmental costs. While the commercial divisions of energy firms makes large profits, the other divisions (generation, r&d, renewables etc) make losses, while leaves the overall net profit (for UK operations) in these companies of less than 5% of revenue. I think that is a bit harsh to say that companies are overcharging in this case.

I also do not really agree with letting 16 year olds vote. Heck, I would not be unhappy with raising the voting age to 25 :p . It will vary heavily from person to person, but when I was 16 neither myself or any of my friends knew the slightest thing about politics or anything involved with it.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
September 24 2013 17:59 GMT
#610
Ed Miliband has pledged that his Labour party would give people the right to vote from the age of 16, to a standing ovation from the Brighton conference floor.

He outlined a tough stance on land-grabbing developers, telling them they must "use or lose" the land they own. And he promised that Labour will tackle the housing crisis with 200,000 more homes a year and freeze gas and electricity prices until 2017, if voted into power.

Keeping schools open for breakfast clubs and afterschool clubs, free nursery care and a promise to "strengthen" the minimum wage were key pledges aimed at attracting parents and workers.


Source
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 18:09 GMT
#611
All pretty good stuff, but it's no surprise that he hasn't outlined any polices that may be deemed unpopular.
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
GhastlyUprising
Profile Joined August 2013
198 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 18:29:19
September 24 2013 18:20 GMT
#612
Freezing energy prices for two years isn't that big a deal. It's £120 over two years. Much more important is the idea of a regulator, which Miliband alluded to in his speech.

The most important thing in his speech, however, almost certainly seems to be the house-building. Apparently £120 over two years for the middle class is a bigger deal to the BBC and the Guardian than the entire livelihoods of those on low income, who will need those new houses just to cope with the cost of living come 2020.
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 18:41 GMT
#613
Labour making the UK into the new Blade Runner.
Labour disband pls.
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 18:43:43
September 24 2013 18:43 GMT
#614
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10331267/Ed-Miliband-has-shown-he-knows-nothing-about-business-or-the-economy.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100237733/milibands-cunning-plan-republish-labours-1983-manifesto/
GhastlyUprising
Profile Joined August 2013
198 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 18:48:11
September 24 2013 18:45 GMT
#615
On September 25 2013 03:41 Zealos wrote:
Labour making the UK into the new Blade Runner.
Labour disband pls.
As goes without saying, there's a difference between house-building to accommodate our current and naturally growing population, and house-building just for the sake of future immigrants.
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
September 24 2013 21:40 GMT
#616
On September 24 2013 20:05 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2013 19:47 BrTarolg wrote:
I think it's embarrassing that economically sound policy seems to be diametrically opposed to what people want out of their country

I don't know whether that's due to economic illiteracy or simply the effect of incentives for oneself over the greater whole

The worst part about it is that economics isn't an exact science either as there are so many conflicting views, but we are usually assured that the result we get is the worst of both worlds...

I find it incredibly unlikely that you have any grasp upon what economically sound policy is, nor the knowledge to actually make such a judgement. The fact that you think you do is even more surprising and speaks volumes about you, Socrates has this to say about people like you.
Show nested quote +
I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do.


For the record, the economy of a country functions differently to that of a household and national debts function differently to credit cards.


I don't get it, I haven't even made any economic assertion or provided an argument for any particular policy in this post (regardless if I have a few in mind)

Why is this a cue to launch an attack on me? Saying that i can't possibly know anything about what i'm talking about (especially in a subject that interests me intensely and is partly my job to do so), referring to "people like me" and pulling some *completely* unrelated quote out which essentially declares in some weird, passive aggressive way that you're wiser than me?

I mean.. ok...

Am i missing something? Did i write something bad earlier?
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
September 24 2013 22:03 GMT
#617
I think your post was very vague. I had no idea what you meant by your post, so it is possible it was misunderstood to mean something you did not intend.

I for one would welcome clarification, as it seemed like an interesting post.
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44321 Posts
September 24 2013 22:06 GMT
#618
On September 25 2013 06:40 BrTarolg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 24 2013 20:05 KwarK wrote:
On September 24 2013 19:47 BrTarolg wrote:
I think it's embarrassing that economically sound policy seems to be diametrically opposed to what people want out of their country

I don't know whether that's due to economic illiteracy or simply the effect of incentives for oneself over the greater whole

The worst part about it is that economics isn't an exact science either as there are so many conflicting views, but we are usually assured that the result we get is the worst of both worlds...

I find it incredibly unlikely that you have any grasp upon what economically sound policy is, nor the knowledge to actually make such a judgement. The fact that you think you do is even more surprising and speaks volumes about you, Socrates has this to say about people like you.
I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do.


For the record, the economy of a country functions differently to that of a household and national debts function differently to credit cards.


I don't get it, I haven't even made any economic assertion or provided an argument for any particular policy in this post (regardless if I have a few in mind)

Why is this a cue to launch an attack on me? Saying that i can't possibly know anything about what i'm talking about (especially in a subject that interests me intensely and is partly my job to do so), referring to "people like me" and pulling some *completely* unrelated quote out which essentially declares in some weird, passive aggressive way that you're wiser than me?

I mean.. ok...

Am i missing something? Did i write something bad earlier?

Economists cannot agree amongst themselves what economically sound policy is and yet an awful lot of people in this country seem very happy to condemn an awful lot of other people for pursuing economically unsound policy which is generally just whatever they disagree with politically. Nowhere is this more obvious than when people on the right blame entitlements and explain how national debt is unequivocally always bad.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
GhastlyUprising
Profile Joined August 2013
198 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-24 22:31:14
September 24 2013 22:28 GMT
#619
If Britain is broke now, it has been broke for most of the last 300 years:

[image loading]

(Our current debt is about 91% of GDP.)
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
September 24 2013 23:15 GMT
#620
I think the debt is just a false argument, yes the deficit is very high and should be reduced but that is more a symptom of a bigger problem being too large of a state rather than being the problem in itself.
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 648 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 988
TKL 286
IndyStarCraft 191
MaxPax 159
ZombieGrub109
BRAT_OK 89
JuggernautJason57
Nathanias 45
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 576
White-Ra 161
firebathero 81
910 45
Killer 27
Trap 22
Counter-Strike
Fnx 782
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0182
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby10341
crisheroes1814
Liquid`Hasu1702
Trikslyr75
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi6011
summit1g5401
Beastyqt813
shahzam450
B2W.Neo323
KnowMe132
ArmadaUGS124
Pyrionflax84
UpATreeSC60
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream404
Other Games
BasetradeTV182
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 188
• Reevou 2
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV211
League of Legends
• TFBlade918
Other Games
• imaqtpie664
• Shiphtur313
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 53m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.