• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:31
CEST 03:31
KST 10:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7529 users

Fountain Pens - Page 23

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All
Basulfc
Profile Joined August 2014
India2 Posts
August 05 2014 12:28 GMT
#441
Fountain Pens are good, i agree but it's expensive (sometimes).
Sabin010
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1892 Posts
August 05 2014 13:31 GMT
#442
I prefer the dip now. Once I used an oblique holder that was it for me.
bunnyroller
Profile Joined August 2014
10 Posts
August 06 2014 11:10 GMT
#443
I just read in a link that there is new concept of fountain coming , Really keen to see it what it looks like !!
Ahzz
Profile Joined May 2007
Finland780 Posts
August 06 2014 11:20 GMT
#444
Can someone enlighten me, what is it that makes fountain pens so much superior to ballpoint pens for example? Fountain pens are used just about never or anywhere in finland (dont know about super high officials, but even then I doubt it).

I've read some pages here in this thread and it got me intrigued, but why would I REALLY buy one?
The crafting and style doesn't matter much to me, though they are superior in that aspect.
It really isn't cheaper. Max 15 bucks for a decent ballpoint pen vs a passable fountain pen + ink. Regardless, we are not talking about big bucks here.

How exactly is it better to write with? What I see in this thread is many complaints about messy refills, dripping ink everywhere and stabbing you if you ever place it somewhere carelessly.
Daswollvieh
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
5553 Posts
August 06 2014 12:32 GMT
#445
A good pen writes softer and because it needs less pressure to write, it´s easier on the wrists. Though there a quite soft ball-points so I think it comes down to an appreciation of the tool.
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
August 06 2014 13:44 GMT
#446
If you're diligent and don't lose it, you will spend less money on fountain pens vs. similar quality ballpoints. If you're an eco nut, you'll use less plastic and resources using your fountain pen versus any other pen type.

But really it all comes down to writing experience. If you like the feel of a fountain pen, there's no comparison. I write with a Lamy Safari (not particularly high-end) and the floating feel of the pen is just remarkable when compared to any mid-tier readily available pens.
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4020 Posts
August 06 2014 14:51 GMT
#447
I don't think fountain pens are ever cheaper, easier, faster or more convenient. The softer point really isn't an argument either, imo. The only reason I can find is that you can write much more beautiful letters with them! So it's a niche, which is fine by me. Reason enough:
[image loading]
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
August 06 2014 14:54 GMT
#448
Guys, its just writing....

I don't get what is the big fuzz about.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
August 06 2014 15:15 GMT
#449
I use drafting pens and pencils for my profession, there's a difference in quality. I guess this is more of a hobby.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-06 15:30:58
August 06 2014 15:21 GMT
#450
On August 06 2014 20:20 Ahzz wrote:
Can someone enlighten me, what is it that makes fountain pens so much superior to ballpoint pens for example? Fountain pens are used just about never or anywhere in finland (dont know about super high officials, but even then I doubt it).

I've read some pages here in this thread and it got me intrigued, but why would I REALLY buy one?
The crafting and style doesn't matter much to me, though they are superior in that aspect.
It really isn't cheaper. Max 15 bucks for a decent ballpoint pen vs a passable fountain pen + ink. Regardless, we are not talking about big bucks here.

How exactly is it better to write with? What I see in this thread is many complaints about messy refills, dripping ink everywhere and stabbing you if you ever place it somewhere carelessly.



Just a few points

Fountain pen uses capillary action, whereby ink is drawn to the page, and this requires a lot less force, this is what people usually mean when they say it's easier to write with

Ink colours are countless, you can find any colour you can imagine, with various cool properties (washable vs nonwashable, 'invisible ink', etc.)

Width of the tip are numerous, from very fine to very broad, and there are things like obliques, stubs and italic, which offer line variations when you write, which I've never seen in ballpoints.

Nibs can be flexible, see above, again, line variations are cool.

Foutain pens are more expensive, and therefore more money had been invested into the physical design, generally speaking, a fountain pen is more comfortable to use than a ballpoint

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
August 06 2014 15:51 GMT
#451
On August 07 2014 00:21 Cambium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 06 2014 20:20 Ahzz wrote:
Can someone enlighten me, what is it that makes fountain pens so much superior to ballpoint pens for example? Fountain pens are used just about never or anywhere in finland (dont know about super high officials, but even then I doubt it).

I've read some pages here in this thread and it got me intrigued, but why would I REALLY buy one?
The crafting and style doesn't matter much to me, though they are superior in that aspect.
It really isn't cheaper. Max 15 bucks for a decent ballpoint pen vs a passable fountain pen + ink. Regardless, we are not talking about big bucks here.

How exactly is it better to write with? What I see in this thread is many complaints about messy refills, dripping ink everywhere and stabbing you if you ever place it somewhere carelessly.



Just a few points

Fountain pen uses capillary action, whereby ink is drawn to the page, and this requires a lot less force, this is what people usually mean when they say it's easier to write with

Ink colours are countless, you can find any colour you can imagine, with various cool properties (washable vs nonwashable, 'invisible ink', etc.)

Width of the tip are numerous, from very fine to very broad, and there are things like obliques, stubs and italic, which offer line variations when you write, which I've never seen in ballpoints.

Nibs can be flexible, see above, again, line variations are cool.

Foutain pens are more expensive, and therefore more money had been invested into the physical design, generally speaking, a fountain pen is more comfortable to use than a ballpoint


In general, there are lots of reasons to use a fountain pen, but the one I didn't see here is that it is almost like a status symbol. Even the cheap ones are like a stick-shift car and the expensive ones are like having a nice watch. They have a vintage-ness and a coolness factor to them in my opinion.
User was warned for too many mimes.
Zess
Profile Joined July 2012
Adun Toridas!9144 Posts
August 06 2014 15:53 GMT
#452
I had a fountain pen in college but now I've found that I never write anything on paper any more. I just talk to my phone and it makes a note that I can access digitally from almost anywhere.

Or I'm writing emails.
Administrator@TL_Zess
| (• ◡•)|八 (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4020 Posts
August 06 2014 15:58 GMT
#453
On August 07 2014 00:53 xes wrote:
I had a fountain pen in college but now I've found that I never write anything on paper any more. I just talk to my phone and it makes a note that I can access digitally from almost anywhere.

Or I'm writing emails.

Or forum posts.
The status symbol reason, while very present, is the one I dislike the most. Pay money for stuff that offers better usability or more features, having a expensive fountain pen because it's expensive is just stupid (just like with watches).
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
August 06 2014 16:01 GMT
#454
On August 06 2014 23:51 aseq wrote:
I don't think fountain pens are ever cheaper, easier, faster or more convenient. The softer point really isn't an argument either, imo. The only reason I can find is that you can write much more beautiful letters with them! So it's a niche, which is fine by me.


Lol ok

If you try writing a lot with a ballpoint pen your hand will hurt. It's really less tiring to write with a real pen.

Of course, writing is an unneccessary niche today. (jk, I just spent the whole day doing math with my safari)
maru G5L pls
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-06 17:03:34
August 06 2014 16:59 GMT
#455
About the pressure of ball points, just look at the paper below the one you're writing on in a pad when you use a ball point vs when you write with a nib, the nib flows over the paper creating no bevel of the paper below. This means that you need to push harder with a ball point, which means you need to use more force from your wrist to the fingers you grip the pen with, creating more strain while you write. The strain is not as noticeable in terms of ache or stress unless you write a shit tonne during a day. However this also makes it harder to let your hand flow better over the page, the less strain you have on your muscles the better precision you will have when writing. So less pressure means it becomes prettier.
And this is the biggest reason I use a nib (or fountain pen since I rarely use dip pens) is because I like to put more effort into my writing and my "hand" so it looks better, and if I put a little bit more effort into it when I write I gain practice and I will improve. And paying more money for a pen, and using a more technically challenging one (either a soft nib or an italic flat nib) helps me doing that.

Also there's some really cheap disposable fountain pens, and some really cheap cartridge ones as well. For me a fountain pen is not an accessory, it's not to show of status or wealth, mostly because I abhor the sort of show-offieness of wealth with items that too many people seem to want to do, to me that just tells me someone is shallow and has weird priorities. I do enjoy seeing skill, so if someone has a really expensive pen but has it because it helps them write like a god I'm fine with that.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
August 06 2014 17:04 GMT
#456
Jesus Christ, how much physical writing do you guys do everyday? I think that unless you are writing essays/script or doing a load of math exercises, the choice of the writing utensil would most likely not give you carpal tunnel.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Zinnwaldite
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1567 Posts
August 06 2014 17:09 GMT
#457
If i didn't have the handwriting of a monkey, i might want to get one of these,, they sure are classy..
We promise with a view to hope, but the reason to "accomplish" what we promised would be fear.
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
August 06 2014 17:21 GMT
#458
On August 07 2014 02:09 Zinnwaldite wrote:
If i didn't have the handwriting of a monkey, i might want to get one of these,, they sure are classy..


Many say that their handwriting improves with a real pen.

On August 07 2014 02:04 Xiphos wrote:
Jesus Christ, how much physical writing do you guys do everyday? I think that unless you are writing essays/script or doing a load of math exercises, the choice of the writing utensil would most likely not give you carpal tunnel.


Doesn't matter how much you write, after getting a real pen you will want to write more. It's like mechanical keyboards. Expensive, rare, seemingly meaningless to most people.. but so worth the extra money and so wonderful to use.
maru G5L pls
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
August 07 2014 01:27 GMT
#459
On August 07 2014 02:04 Xiphos wrote:
Jesus Christ, how much physical writing do you guys do everyday? I think that unless you are writing essays/script or doing a load of math exercises, the choice of the writing utensil would most likely not give you carpal tunnel.


To a lot of people, spending $20 or even $100 for a better writing experience is just not a big deal... A small price for a small improvement on life.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
bunnyroller
Profile Joined August 2014
10 Posts
August 07 2014 11:14 GMT
#460
I know some fountain pens are really expensive but not all are expensive there are some which are quite reasonable .
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings103
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech128
RuFF_SC2 125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 320
Bale 13
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm225
League of Legends
Doublelift6378
JimRising 723
Counter-Strike
minikerr25
Other Games
summit1g10303
C9.Mang0337
PiLiPiLi6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1106
BasetradeTV183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP147
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 29m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 29m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 29m
Replay Cast
21h 29m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.