• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:19
CEST 19:19
KST 02:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War245.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8683 users

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories - Page 24

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 37 Next All
Ryalnos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1946 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 15:25:29
May 14 2013 15:19 GMT
#461
Feels out of my element here reading all these armchair music critics - not too hard to float some bullshit 'intellectual' reasons when something doesn't match your taste or genre expectations. This is not to say that legitimate arguments can't be made, but I find it more interesting reading e.g. the twitter reactions of other electronic musicians, especially the ones that haven't 'made it' yet so don't have to worry about who's 'listening' so to say.

That said, not too hard to see why not everyone would be happy with this album. I find it interesting how controversial some tracks, e.g. 'Touch' are.

Also interesting are various interviews were Daft Punk predicted that the fan reaction was probably going to be mixed at best.

Here we go: Daft Punk Can't Wait for You to Hate Their New Album
baldgye
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom1114 Posts
May 14 2013 15:49 GMT
#462
Some people love to hate, I remember all the anger about Human After All... which I still can't grasp... but RAM is amazing and I couldn't be happier!

:D
TimENT
Profile Joined November 2012
United States1425 Posts
May 14 2013 15:53 GMT
#463
Here's my review-

1. I think 'Touch' is one of those songs that immediately touched me emotionally (no pun intended). It reminds me of the feeling I got when I first heard 'Stairway To Heaven' and 'Time', by Zeppelin & Pink Floyd respectively. When the chanting of "if love is the answer, hold, hold on" I had massive goosebumps and began to have tears of joy. Less than 5 songs have managed to do that to me in my entire life. And when he says "touch almost makes me feel real", it made me realize that surrounding yourself with people you love is the key to happiness in life. To me, the meaning of 'Touch' is both physical and emotional. In 30 years, I will listen to this song and have such overwhelming nostalgia, similar to when I played 'Stairway To Heaven' for my parents.

2. Game of Love and Within shocked me. Both gave off a sad/melancholy vibe, and once again, I was deeply touched.

3. Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Get Lucky are the most 'radio' sounding songs. However, this is not a bad thing. If these songs are constantly played for the next year, I will be so overjoyed because they just make me smile so much.

4. Giorgio by Moroder is just a fucking masterpiece. The speech where he says something along the lines of "once you let go of what something SHOULD be, you can create something amazing", followed by the strings just blew my mind. This and Touch are truly two of the most amazing pieces of music I have ever heard.

5. Beyond is another classic for me.

6. Fragments of Time is slightly repetitive, and one of the two songs I don't love.

7. Motherboard bothered me because of the water sounds. I absolutely hate the sound of water dripping.

8. Doin' it Right is the most surprising song of the album. The bass hits were very unexpected, but greatly appreciated. Of course Panda Bear compliments Daft Punk, as they are both geniuses.

9. Give Life Back to Music was a great intro, and Contact was a great conclusion.

In the end, I give it a 10/10 (the water drops in Motherboard can be overlooked)

Personally, this stands next to my other favorite albums of all time:
-Dark Side of the Moon
-Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
-Discovery
-Illmatic
-Good Kid, MAAD City
Barcelona / Arsenal Fan!
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
May 14 2013 15:58 GMT
#464
Damnit. I'm addicted to Instant Crush haha.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 16:10:42
May 14 2013 16:10 GMT
#465
To understand 'Touch', it helps to understand who Paul Williams is.

It's a song in the spirit of operatic, musical, 70's psychedelic rock that predates New Wave or Glam Rock hit.

Think The Who's Tommy, Pink Floyd's the Wall, Rocky Horror Picture Show, David Bowie or Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals.



Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
May 14 2013 16:19 GMT
#466
On May 14 2013 22:49 HazMat wrote:
Diverse? It's honestly the same retro synth sounds throughout all the songs. It's not bad... but I wouldn't call it diverse.


The whole album covers the dawn of electronic and synth music, from disco to synth pop to to prog to glam rock.

It terms of composition and pure songwriting, it's wickedly inventive. Anyone that says they can hear Giorgio by Moroder, Touch or Contact coming is a liar. A liar I say!
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
May 14 2013 16:24 GMT
#467
On May 15 2013 00:19 Ryalnos wrote:
Feels out of my element here reading all these armchair music critics - not too hard to float some bullshit 'intellectual' reasons when something doesn't match your taste or genre expectations. This is not to say that legitimate arguments can't be made, but I find it more interesting reading e.g. the twitter reactions of other electronic musicians, especially the ones that haven't 'made it' yet so don't have to worry about who's 'listening' so to say.

That said, not too hard to see why not everyone would be happy with this album. I find it interesting how controversial some tracks, e.g. 'Touch' are.

Also interesting are various interviews were Daft Punk predicted that the fan reaction was probably going to be mixed at best.

Here we go: Daft Punk Can't Wait for You to Hate Their New Album


People were whining about "One More Time" when that single landed, because it was so synth and pop compared to the no-bullshit house of Homework.

Then Discovery became one of the most influential and praised albums of the last decade.

People will come around
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
May 14 2013 17:08 GMT
#468
On May 15 2013 01:24 Defacer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2013 00:19 Ryalnos wrote:
Feels out of my element here reading all these armchair music critics - not too hard to float some bullshit 'intellectual' reasons when something doesn't match your taste or genre expectations. This is not to say that legitimate arguments can't be made, but I find it more interesting reading e.g. the twitter reactions of other electronic musicians, especially the ones that haven't 'made it' yet so don't have to worry about who's 'listening' so to say.

That said, not too hard to see why not everyone would be happy with this album. I find it interesting how controversial some tracks, e.g. 'Touch' are.

Also interesting are various interviews were Daft Punk predicted that the fan reaction was probably going to be mixed at best.

Here we go: Daft Punk Can't Wait for You to Hate Their New Album


People were whining about "One More Time" when that single landed, because it was so synth and pop compared to the no-bullshit house of Homework.

Then Discovery became one of the most influential and praised albums of the last decade.

People will come around

Pretty much, I think we will be talking about this album for years to come, whether it's disappointment or success in the end.
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
May 14 2013 17:20 GMT
#469
Contact is so amazing. I've listened to it like 5 times in a row.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
May 14 2013 17:58 GMT
#470
quite a letdown for me. i am eagerly waiting for boards of canada's new album, which i am sure would be better than this..
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
May 14 2013 18:09 GMT
#471
On May 15 2013 00:01 Scaramanga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2013 22:45 Duka08 wrote:
People are overthinking this album lol. Guess that's what happens with hype.

I think it's all good. Very diverse. Which is what I expected. I definitely didn't expect an album full of songs like Get Lucky, like some seemed to.

My favorite part of this whole ordeal is the spectrum of negative reactions. Some saying it's still "too electronic", some saying it's "too retro". Central limit theorem at its finest I suppose.

This album is pretty much what I expected, and I wouldn't even call myself a rabid Daft Punk fan. Not sure what others were waiting for.

You don't appear to have a good grasp of what the central limit theorem is, might want to double check your understanding.

It's a TL standard to throw out random mathematical and argumentative terms with no understanding of them to appear smarter. We play Starcraft, after all. Strawman fallacy anyone?
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
May 14 2013 18:10 GMT
#472
On May 15 2013 02:20 Ben... wrote:
Contact is so amazing. I've listened to it like 5 times in a row.

Yeah it is, though it feels like it's missing something. Almost like it's leading up to another song, but it's the last one
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
Mig
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States4714 Posts
May 14 2013 18:14 GMT
#473
Not my favorite Daft Punk album but it is definitely growing on me the more I listen to it. Instant Crush/Doin' It Right are probably my favorite songs so far.
Moderator
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 18:16:44
May 14 2013 18:15 GMT
#474
On May 15 2013 02:08 Zaphid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2013 01:24 Defacer wrote:
On May 15 2013 00:19 Ryalnos wrote:
Feels out of my element here reading all these armchair music critics - not too hard to float some bullshit 'intellectual' reasons when something doesn't match your taste or genre expectations. This is not to say that legitimate arguments can't be made, but I find it more interesting reading e.g. the twitter reactions of other electronic musicians, especially the ones that haven't 'made it' yet so don't have to worry about who's 'listening' so to say.

That said, not too hard to see why not everyone would be happy with this album. I find it interesting how controversial some tracks, e.g. 'Touch' are.

Also interesting are various interviews were Daft Punk predicted that the fan reaction was probably going to be mixed at best.

Here we go: Daft Punk Can't Wait for You to Hate Their New Album


People were whining about "One More Time" when that single landed, because it was so synth and pop compared to the no-bullshit house of Homework.

Then Discovery became one of the most influential and praised albums of the last decade.

People will come around

Pretty much, I think we will be talking about this album for years to come, whether it's disappointment or success in the end.


I have to agree. Some songs are definitely growing on me. I've listened to Instant Crush about 15 times today.

Not my favorite Daft Punk album but it is definitely growing on me the more I listen to it. Instant Crush/Doin' It Right are probably my favorite songs so far.


Mine as well I believe it's growing on me because once you get past the initial shock that it's not the Daft Punk you know, you realize there is actually great music to be found, just different than what you expected.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
May 14 2013 18:20 GMT
#475
On May 15 2013 03:10 HazMat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2013 02:20 Ben... wrote:
Contact is so amazing. I've listened to it like 5 times in a row.

Yeah it is, though it feels like it's missing something. Almost like it's leading up to another song, but it's the last one


It is leading to something, just not a song.

It's leading to your hopes and dreams and the great unknown! DON'T YOU SEE!?!?!

Sorry, I'm really enjoying this album.
Slaughter
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States20255 Posts
May 14 2013 18:26 GMT
#476
Just sat down and streamed the whole thing on iTunes. While I enjoyed Discovery more, this is a very good album. It has some forget able lows but some extremely great highs to it.
Never Knows Best.
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
May 14 2013 18:42 GMT
#477
On May 15 2013 00:01 Scaramanga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2013 22:45 Duka08 wrote:
People are overthinking this album lol. Guess that's what happens with hype.

I think it's all good. Very diverse. Which is what I expected. I definitely didn't expect an album full of songs like Get Lucky, like some seemed to.

My favorite part of this whole ordeal is the spectrum of negative reactions. Some saying it's still "too electronic", some saying it's "too retro". Central limit theorem at its finest I suppose.

This album is pretty much what I expected, and I wouldn't even call myself a rabid Daft Punk fan. Not sure what others were waiting for.

You don't appear to have a good grasp of what the central limit theorem is, might want to double check your understanding.

I didn't mean it literally. >_>
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 20:00:08
May 14 2013 19:59 GMT
#478
On May 15 2013 02:08 Zaphid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2013 01:24 Defacer wrote:
On May 15 2013 00:19 Ryalnos wrote:
Feels out of my element here reading all these armchair music critics - not too hard to float some bullshit 'intellectual' reasons when something doesn't match your taste or genre expectations. This is not to say that legitimate arguments can't be made, but I find it more interesting reading e.g. the twitter reactions of other electronic musicians, especially the ones that haven't 'made it' yet so don't have to worry about who's 'listening' so to say.

That said, not too hard to see why not everyone would be happy with this album. I find it interesting how controversial some tracks, e.g. 'Touch' are.

Also interesting are various interviews were Daft Punk predicted that the fan reaction was probably going to be mixed at best.

Here we go: Daft Punk Can't Wait for You to Hate Their New Album


People were whining about "One More Time" when that single landed, because it was so synth and pop compared to the no-bullshit house of Homework.

Then Discovery became one of the most influential and praised albums of the last decade.

People will come around

Pretty much, I think we will be talking about this album for years to come, whether it's disappointment or success in the end.


I'm putting it up there with Kid A, Paul's Boutique and Pet Sounds. It may not have the band's most memorable hits but it's definitely a complete, innovative album made at the peak of their career and abilities.
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
May 14 2013 20:47 GMT
#479
You are the night you are the ocean
You are the life behind the cloud
You are the end in the beginning


Are these lyrics a joke lol.
Erandorr
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
2283 Posts
May 14 2013 21:27 GMT
#480
After listening to the entire thing a couple of times in a row im starting to really like it. Just give it time with an open mind
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 348
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26434
Calm 5374
Rush 168
Light 158
Barracks 118
Free 112
910 93
Mind 88
Zeus 84
Killer 46
[ Show more ]
Trap 43
Hyun 34
Aegong 27
ToSsGirL 25
Rock 24
soO 24
Sexy 15
Noble 8
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9179
XaKoH 354
Counter-Strike
fl0m5496
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby838
Other Games
singsing2049
FrodaN804
B2W.Neo642
Beastyqt555
mouzStarbuck273
crisheroes260
Livibee192
Hui .164
RotterdaM123
C9.Mang0113
KnowMe96
Trikslyr84
QueenE71
BRAT_OK 21
edward16
MindelVK9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 22
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2472
Other Games
• Shiphtur858
• imaqtpie77
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 41m
Big Brain Bouts
16h 41m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
23h 41m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
Patches Events
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.