• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:26
CEST 01:26
KST 08:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10420 users

Retired cop shoots son, mistook him as burglar - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 22 Next All
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
October 12 2012 13:17 GMT
#121
I agree that it is a mentality problem, not a gun problem.

Why?
In Switzerland it's also quite easy to get a gun... Or you have one from the Military service... Yet still just about no one thinks about shooting a burglar. Maybe because its stupid and barbaric, maybe because we are all cowards, maybe because the cost of a live is higher than the cost of a Notebook or TV....
GohgamX
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada1096 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 13:18:49
October 12 2012 13:18 GMT
#122
Funny. Something like this happened in my hometown last month, except it was another cop who shot the son of another cop thinking he was a burglar. Turns out the kid was autistic and confused...

Edit for story link:
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/27/investigation-continues-into-teen-shot-by-cops
Time is a great teacher, unfortunate that it kills all its pupils ...
BlitzerSC
Profile Joined May 2011
Italy8800 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 13:21:32
October 12 2012 13:20 GMT
#123
On October 12 2012 22:14 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:09 BlitzerSC wrote:
I thought that hyberboles were still taught in school. I guess I was wrong.


Apparently not in your school, because using hyperbole to justify your otherwise invalid argument is inappropriate.


"This bag weights a ton, I can't carry it !"
"INVALID ARGUMENT, in fact it only weights 3Kg"

So if I switch "every single" with "a lot of" then my argument suddenly become valid ? :|
Nizaris
Profile Joined May 2010
Belgium2230 Posts
October 12 2012 13:20 GMT
#124
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 13:27:28
October 12 2012 13:25 GMT
#125
On October 12 2012 22:14 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:09 BlitzerSC wrote:
I thought that hyberboles were still taught in school. I guess I was wrong.


Apparently not in your school, because using hyperbole to justify your otherwise invalid argument is inappropriate.

The hyperbole wasn't the part that justified the argument, just like putting words in italic doesn't justify your faulty statement.

On October 12 2012 22:20 Nizaris wrote:
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.

Well that's how it is now isn't it. We're all so individualistic and selfish, shooting at people is just fine because our own life is worth a thousand others. Especially if they're poor.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
CaptainCrush
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States785 Posts
October 12 2012 13:30 GMT
#126
On October 12 2012 22:20 Nizaris wrote:
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.


I think its ridiculous that you think you should be able to waltz into someones home without fear of getting hurt, but both of our views are just opinions. However, I think yours is the more wrong one here but posts like these contribute very little to what actually happened here...
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
October 12 2012 13:34 GMT
#127
On October 12 2012 22:30 CaptainCrush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:20 Nizaris wrote:
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.


I think its ridiculous that you think you should be able to waltz into someones home without fear of getting hurt, but both of our views are just opinions. However, I think yours is the more wrong one here but posts like these contribute very little to what actually happened here...

Getting hurt is something else than getting instantly murdered. Who the fuck shoots a burglar in the head anyway? Not even a warning shot.. not even a non fatal shot... nope.. just straight for the head.
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46480 Posts
October 12 2012 13:44 GMT
#128
On October 12 2012 22:20 BlitzerSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:14 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 12 2012 22:09 BlitzerSC wrote:
I thought that hyberboles were still taught in school. I guess I was wrong.


Apparently not in your school, because using hyperbole to justify your otherwise invalid argument is inappropriate.


"This bag weights a ton, I can't carry it !"
"INVALID ARGUMENT, in fact it only weights 3Kg"

So if I switch "every single" with "a lot of" then my argument suddenly become valid ? :|


No, what I mean is your underlying argument about gun ownership implying this unnecessary gun death is invalid at face value, and you brushing it off as *just* hyperbole (but still implying that you've made a valid point looking past the exaggeration) is incorrect, because there's data on both sides of the gun control issue. Giving someone a gun doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to do something stupid like this. There is not a causal relationship between more guns and more gun-related deaths. You can even check out some data here (specifically, the table): http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

On October 12 2012 22:25 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:14 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 12 2012 22:09 BlitzerSC wrote:
I thought that hyberboles were still taught in school. I guess I was wrong.


Apparently not in your school, because using hyperbole to justify your otherwise invalid argument is inappropriate.

The hyperbole wasn't the part that justified the argument, just like putting words in italic doesn't justify your faulty statement.


The hyperbole was attempting to justify it, because it's an argument that more guns in America = more needless deaths, and there's data on both sides of that argument, so simply saying that everyone having a gun means that it makes sense that this guy was wrongfully shot is ridiculous (as opposed to any other country that has a smaller percentage of guns, this scenario can't happen? that's absurd. it's the man's fault, not the fact that more guns exist in this country).
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
CaptainCrush
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States785 Posts
October 12 2012 13:44 GMT
#129
On October 12 2012 22:34 solidbebe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:30 CaptainCrush wrote:
On October 12 2012 22:20 Nizaris wrote:
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.


I think its ridiculous that you think you should be able to waltz into someones home without fear of getting hurt, but both of our views are just opinions. However, I think yours is the more wrong one here but posts like these contribute very little to what actually happened here...

Getting hurt is something else than getting instantly murdered. Who the fuck shoots a burglar in the head anyway? Not even a warning shot.. not even a non fatal shot... nope.. just straight for the head.


And if he is armed, then what? It's actually very likely that a burglar is armed in the united states. So you shoot him in the leg and then he shoots you in the head, great idea... not even police are taught to shoot to intimidate or shoot to disable. This guy was a retired cop so he had been instructed to shoot to kill for his entire life. If I was put in a situation where I had to shoot a burglar, it would be his head.

This debate has been brought up here a million times and it always seems like Denmark and Netherlands (among a few other european nations) are at the extreme opposite end of Americans on gun control. You aren't going to change my mind just like I'm not going to change yours, but just put yourself in this situation for one second. That might be what actually changes your mind, I dunno.
AlphaWhale
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia328 Posts
October 12 2012 13:47 GMT
#130
This will really scare kids into not sneaking in and out of the house to avoid getting grounded. Might end up catching a slug, way worse than getting grounded.

Total bummer, man.
The icon for diamond league is actually a sapphire.
3772
Profile Joined May 2010
Czech Republic434 Posts
October 12 2012 13:48 GMT
#131
What's the point of shooting burglars, you don't have your stuff insured in America?
TheRealArtemis
Profile Joined October 2011
687 Posts
October 12 2012 13:49 GMT
#132
I think people have to remember that this is the USA. Not some other country that you refer to that also have the opportunity own guns and nothing goes wrong. It is a violent country.

I have heard of so many cases from the US where the burglars arent just stealing your shit when they break in, but they will beat, torture, and even kill you if they discover that somebody is home. I understand that he shot first, but he shouldnt have gone for the head. He should have made a leg shot.

If this actually was a burgler with a history of violence etc. I bet nobody would hear and care for the guy who died. I for one wouldnt.
religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
October 12 2012 13:50 GMT
#133
On October 12 2012 22:44 CaptainCrush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 22:34 solidbebe wrote:
On October 12 2012 22:30 CaptainCrush wrote:
On October 12 2012 22:20 Nizaris wrote:
It is ridiculous that you can even shoot some1 if your life isn't in any danger.


I think its ridiculous that you think you should be able to waltz into someones home without fear of getting hurt, but both of our views are just opinions. However, I think yours is the more wrong one here but posts like these contribute very little to what actually happened here...

Getting hurt is something else than getting instantly murdered. Who the fuck shoots a burglar in the head anyway? Not even a warning shot.. not even a non fatal shot... nope.. just straight for the head.


And if he is armed, then what? It's actually very likely that a burglar is armed in the united states. So you shoot him in the leg and then he shoots you in the head, great idea... not even police are taught to shoot to intimidate or shoot to disable. This guy was a retired cop so he had been instructed to shoot to kill for his entire life. If I was put in a situation where I had to shoot a burglar, it would be his head.

This debate has been brought up here a million times and it always seems like Denmark and Netherlands (among a few other european nations) are at the extreme opposite end of Americans on gun control. You aren't going to change my mind just like I'm not going to change yours, but just put yourself in this situation for one second. That might be what actually changes your mind, I dunno.

What kind of situation is that... kill him because he might kill you first. Honestly I dont know how things go in America and I understand your reasoning. Ultimately it makes sense ( sort of), but no matter how you look at it thats just a completely fucked up situation.
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
Paperplane
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands1823 Posts
October 12 2012 13:57 GMT
#134
That's the thing with guns. You can't just shoot the gun out of their hand Lucky Luke style. If you shoot, you shoot to kill.
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 14:10:08
October 12 2012 14:09 GMT
#135
Such a sad story. Just goes to show that when guns are involved, shit can happen even in if the user is a highly trained person. Still, though I am generally in favor of gun control, I still fully accept that ex-cops need guns. It's a matter of being prepared if a criminal comes back looking for revenge.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Zirob13
Profile Joined November 2011
Costa Rica44 Posts
October 12 2012 14:10 GMT
#136
Isn´t that what guns are supposed to do? To kill each other? So I see nothing wrong here besides stupidity to shoot without even knowing for sure who is behind the door or wearing a mask... and everyone jumps out of their seat for this death instead of really speaking for those who dont have a voice.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 14:17:07
October 12 2012 14:16 GMT
#137
By the logic of shooting at a "might be" burglar you could also drop mines before your door before going to sleep... Don't ask don't tell, just kill.
Warillions
Profile Joined November 2010
United States215 Posts
October 12 2012 14:22 GMT
#138
On October 12 2012 15:11 Cascade wrote:
Even if it he would be 100% sure that it was a burglar, taking the decision to kill another person over having some stuff stolen, is completely beyond my understanding. Killing before even being sure who it is, is just sad.


Sorry but I do not value your life greater than household possessions. Break into my house and try to steal my shit and you will die If I have the power to do so.

Come into my home and try to steal my son's or wife's shit. I will murder you and piss on the gunshot wounds.

Actually just break into my home. you will be dead before you have a chance to see what I have to steal.
ddrddrddrddr
Profile Joined August 2010
1344 Posts
October 12 2012 14:25 GMT
#139
On October 12 2012 23:22 Warillions wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 12 2012 15:11 Cascade wrote:
Even if it he would be 100% sure that it was a burglar, taking the decision to kill another person over having some stuff stolen, is completely beyond my understanding. Killing before even being sure who it is, is just sad.


Sorry but I do not value your life greater than household possessions. Break into my house and try to steal my shit and you will die If I have the power to do so.

Come into my home and try to steal my son's or wife's shit. I will murder you and piss on the gunshot wounds.

Actually just break into my home. you will be dead before you have a chance to see what I have to steal.

Pretty sure that last sentence is how this happened. Good to know that this can happen again.
Holytornados
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1022 Posts
October 12 2012 14:28 GMT
#140
On October 12 2012 15:22 TheVanillaCoke wrote:
Jesus people... He's not some gun toting psychopath.

This guy was a HOMICIDE detective for 40 years. Do you have any idea what that can do to a guy? If you think examining a homicide doesn't leave scar tissue in the brain, You're crazy. This guy might have had PTSD, he might have had a flash back of some fucked up shit he saw in his 40 years of homicide, and when his son came in the back door, His instincts took over and he cracked.


So basically he should not have been deemed sufficiently mentally stable to own a gun?

That's what I got out of this. That the man has been mentally scarred and gun laws should have prevented him from owning a firearm.
CLG/Liquid ~~ youtube.com/reddedgaming
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 22 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft196
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft196
Nina 81
ViBE79
SpeCial 42
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 179
Noble 63
Hyuk 60
NaDa 37
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm166
League of Legends
Doublelift4701
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox319
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4862
Khaldor666
Other Games
summit1g7994
FrodaN1844
Coldzera 784
shahzam501
JimRising 392
C9.Mang0282
KnowMe225
ArmadaUGS68
Mew2King55
PPMD39
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick652
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream67
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH361
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21284
Other Games
• imaqtpie767
• Shiphtur161
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 34m
Online Event
11h 34m
FEL
16h 34m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.