• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:44
CEST 12:44
KST 19:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202617Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8686 users

Demonoid shut down - Page 18

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
August 11 2012 17:16 GMT
#341
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?
Unifex
Profile Joined September 2010
United States68 Posts
August 11 2012 17:17 GMT
#342
Or maybe they just have different priorities. Don't try to make some economic justification, if you have time to post on a niche sport / hobby website.


Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 17:22 GMT
#343
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 17:30:44
August 11 2012 17:26 GMT
#344
On August 12 2012 02:22 McBengt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.


Would you care to elaborate? I already made it clear that I understood the definitions. I've seen the cute cartoons a thousand times. Also note that I haven't been "using incorrect terminology to make a point". My point still stands.

Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.


Well, I guess my point was that you don't have to be rich to not torrent. Sure, it might make the decision easier, but I would think that someone who is inclined to torrent in the first place would be much less likely to spend disposable income on it anyway.
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 17:42 GMT
#345
On August 12 2012 02:26 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:22 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.


Would you care to elaborate? I already made it clear that I understood the definitions. I've seen the cute cartoons a thousand times. Also note that I haven't been "using incorrect terminology to make a point". My point still stands.

Show nested quote +
Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.


Well, I guess my point was that you don't have to be rich to not torrent. Sure, it might make the decision easier, but I would think that someone who is inclined to torrent in the first place would be much less likely to spend disposable income on it anyway.


Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant, how you choose to define internet piracy has no bearing whatsoever. You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better. Your point is based entirely on subjective opinions regarding filesharing, and is thus worthless. If you want to be taken seriously, do your research, use facts, and avoid embellishments and misrepresentations.
And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.

The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet. When people say things like "but it IS stealing", the implication is that those who correctly refer to it as copyright infringement, and correct those who don't, are trying to weasel themselves out of taking responsibility for their actions, which is blatantly untrue, at least based on that action alone.

If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.

If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
August 11 2012 18:00 GMT
#346
On August 12 2012 02:14 Alpino wrote:
I'll explain why this is bullcrap in my experience as a recording musician, record collector and owner of a review/download blog(I post only underground Black Metal so none of my files ever gets take down) with 230,000 pageviews and 10,000 pageviews/month.

New artists in this new age have in file sharing their best chance of getting known and listened. Almost all CDs/Vynils I have bought I had already downloaded. Liking those cds I downloaded and reading interviews, etc, basically content from the bands I liked made me want to support those bands by buying their stuff whenever I felt this band deserved it and I had the money. Had I never downloaded those bands I wouldn't have spent my money and my time on them(writing about them). This is bad for the artists and good for the big recording companies who own the more well known pop artists. The internet makes people aware of other kinds of music and this is not good for the big recording companies.

File sharing made my band more known than it would have been without it, made our art more valid because it was listened by more people and made it better because we had more influences and where to draw from. This is bullcrap sometimes hosting sites delete stuff without even contacting bands to know if they actually want to share(normally they want.)

If I didn't download stuff I wouldn't buy stuff, well actually now I'd only buy from a band who supports free-sharing of their songs...I get a lot of thank-you from bands when I post their albums in my blog. FREE-SHARING HELPS ART.

I agree with that at least for the most part. Free sharing helps the artists that need help and deserve recognition and remuneration for their work and talents.

It's detrimental to huge production and publishing companies, the "middlemen" that are a hog on the whole market. Those need to go away, or at least they shouldn't be necessary for an artist's success. They used to be important, now they artificially increase the price of art and benefit some suits that have made millions of dollars off of other people's work.

Torrents can be used for theft, but they can also be used for legitimate sharing. There are a lot of games and songs that I wouldn't own today if torrents didn't exist. Plus, I still would own the more well-known music that I like anyway.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
August 11 2012 18:00 GMT
#347
Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant


Nor should they be. You still haven't addressed my point, that "internet piracy" isn't piracy anymore than it is stealing.

You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better.


No one is redefining anything, not legally. In terms of parlance, who are you to judge?

And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.


How so? You keep saying this but I don't see how I've used this "incorrect terminology" that you keep accusing me of.

The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet.


Ironic, since much of this thread is random persons 1 through 1727711 complaining about how wrong the law is.

If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.


A better example would be not going on trial for premeditated murder for running over someone while drunk - the act being much less severe than the charge, but not entirely dissimilar.

If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.


I'm not fundamentally mistaken.
superstartran
Profile Joined March 2010
United States4013 Posts
August 11 2012 18:01 GMT
#348
On August 12 2012 02:42 McBengt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:26 Warlock40 wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:22 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.


Would you care to elaborate? I already made it clear that I understood the definitions. I've seen the cute cartoons a thousand times. Also note that I haven't been "using incorrect terminology to make a point". My point still stands.

Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.


Well, I guess my point was that you don't have to be rich to not torrent. Sure, it might make the decision easier, but I would think that someone who is inclined to torrent in the first place would be much less likely to spend disposable income on it anyway.


Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant, how you choose to define internet piracy has no bearing whatsoever. You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better. Your point is based entirely on subjective opinions regarding filesharing, and is thus worthless. If you want to be taken seriously, do your research, use facts, and avoid embellishments and misrepresentations.
And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.

The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet. When people say things like "but it IS stealing", the implication is that those who correctly refer to it as copyright infringement, and correct those who don't, are trying to weasel themselves out of taking responsibility for their actions, which is blatantly untrue, at least based on that action alone.

If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.

If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.



Piracy is theft in that sense that you are "stealing" somebody's intellectual property and distributing it without that person's permission. It may not fit the legal definition of theft, but from a moral standpoint it comes extremely close.
Alpino
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil4390 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 18:18:05
August 11 2012 18:17 GMT
#349
On August 12 2012 03:01 superstartran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:42 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:26 Warlock40 wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:22 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.


Would you care to elaborate? I already made it clear that I understood the definitions. I've seen the cute cartoons a thousand times. Also note that I haven't been "using incorrect terminology to make a point". My point still stands.

Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.


Well, I guess my point was that you don't have to be rich to not torrent. Sure, it might make the decision easier, but I would think that someone who is inclined to torrent in the first place would be much less likely to spend disposable income on it anyway.


Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant, how you choose to define internet piracy has no bearing whatsoever. You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better. Your point is based entirely on subjective opinions regarding filesharing, and is thus worthless. If you want to be taken seriously, do your research, use facts, and avoid embellishments and misrepresentations.
And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.

The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet. When people say things like "but it IS stealing", the implication is that those who correctly refer to it as copyright infringement, and correct those who don't, are trying to weasel themselves out of taking responsibility for their actions, which is blatantly untrue, at least based on that action alone.

If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.

If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.



Piracy is theft in that sense that you are "stealing" somebody's intellectual property and distributing it without that person's permission. It may not fit the legal definition of theft, but from a moral standpoint it comes extremely close.


And when they take down your art which you purposefully distributed?
20/11/2015 - never forget EE's Ember
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 18:21:07
August 11 2012 18:18 GMT
#350
On August 12 2012 03:00 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant


Nor should they be. You still haven't addressed my point, that "internet piracy" isn't piracy anymore than it is stealing.

Show nested quote +
You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better.


No one is redefining anything, not legally. In terms of parlance, who are you to judge?

Show nested quote +
And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.


How so? You keep saying this but I don't see how I've used this "incorrect terminology" that you keep accusing me of.

Show nested quote +
The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet.


Ironic, since much of this thread is random persons 1 through 1727711 complaining about how wrong the law is.

Show nested quote +
If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.


A better example would be not going on trial for premeditated murder for running over someone while drunk - the act being much less severe than the charge, but not entirely dissimilar.

Show nested quote +
If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.


I'm not fundamentally mistaken.


You know perfectly well that internet piracy in no way pertains to actual seafaring pirates, it was a cute moniker that was adopted by the filesharing community as a brand of sorts. The fact that copyright infringement resembles stealing more than plundering ships on the high seas is apparent to anyone with a brain, and completely beside the point.

I judge you based on the merits of your argument. It has very little. Again, I infer no personal opinions into what I wrote. If I had, you could judge me on that just as well. I said you were factually incorrect, which is true. Anything else is of no interest.

What people think of the law is, wait for it, also irrelevant! Until it's changed, it is what it is, period, end of discussion, basta etc. It is also binary, you are either wrong or right. You are wrong.

Your example is poor, murder and manslaughter involve more or less the same act in different circumstances. Stealing and copyright infringement are not nearly as closely related in legal terms(again, the only terms that hold any weight).

If you are not mistaken you are willfully obtuse.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 18:19 GMT
#351
On August 12 2012 03:01 superstartran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:42 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:26 Warlock40 wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:22 McBengt wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:16 Warlock40 wrote:
It's not semantics though, it's a different category all together. Stealing and copyright violation/infringement are two distinct types of crime with clearly defined criteria.

I know stealing sounds better because it implies a behaviour which is typically considered more morally repellant for some reason, probably historical implications concerning thievery, but it does not change the legal definition of internet piracy. You are not being corrected because people are nitpicking at you in order to defend criminal acts, you are being corrected because you are wrong.

Stealing = object is removed, copyright infringement = object is duplicated without permission. Please refrain from using incorrect terminology to make a point, it's dishonest and a tool for populists.


So did you completely miss my point about how "piracy" has much less to do with copyright infringement than "theft"?


I did not, I simply judged your point to be very poor, vaguely defined and mostly wrong.

You made your postion abundantly clear, don't worry. It's just not very smart.


Would you care to elaborate? I already made it clear that I understood the definitions. I've seen the cute cartoons a thousand times. Also note that I haven't been "using incorrect terminology to make a point". My point still stands.

Don't know about you but my priority is rent. When it won't be maybe then I'll buy stuff, until then I won't. And being good/liking starcraft definitely doesn't pay the bills.


Well, I guess my point was that you don't have to be rich to not torrent. Sure, it might make the decision easier, but I would think that someone who is inclined to torrent in the first place would be much less likely to spend disposable income on it anyway.


Because your personal feelings on the subject are irrelevant, how you choose to define internet piracy has no bearing whatsoever. You are not allowed to redefine a crime simply because you like the sound of the other one better. Your point is based entirely on subjective opinions regarding filesharing, and is thus worthless. If you want to be taken seriously, do your research, use facts, and avoid embellishments and misrepresentations.
And yes, you were using incorrect terminology to support your position, in fact what you did was more or less a textbook example.

The only thing of any interest is what the law says, not random person 1727711 on the internet. When people say things like "but it IS stealing", the implication is that those who correctly refer to it as copyright infringement, and correct those who don't, are trying to weasel themselves out of taking responsibility for their actions, which is blatantly untrue, at least based on that action alone.

If you get busted for running someone over while drunk, you don't get to go before the judge on trial for speeding, you go up for manslaughter. The exact same principle applies here.

If you are opposed to filesharing, that's fine. Just try not to be fundamentally mistaken when debating the subject.



Piracy is theft in that sense that you are "stealing" somebody's intellectual property and distributing it without that person's permission. It may not fit the legal definition of theft, but from a moral standpoint it comes extremely close.


Moral standpoints are utterly devoid of any interest or relevance in this case. Demonstrable facts matter, not opinions.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
August 11 2012 18:27 GMT
#352
On August 12 2012 03:00 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 02:14 Alpino wrote:
I'll explain why this is bullcrap in my experience as a recording musician, record collector and owner of a review/download blog(I post only underground Black Metal so none of my files ever gets take down) with 230,000 pageviews and 10,000 pageviews/month.

New artists in this new age have in file sharing their best chance of getting known and listened. Almost all CDs/Vynils I have bought I had already downloaded. Liking those cds I downloaded and reading interviews, etc, basically content from the bands I liked made me want to support those bands by buying their stuff whenever I felt this band deserved it and I had the money. Had I never downloaded those bands I wouldn't have spent my money and my time on them(writing about them). This is bad for the artists and good for the big recording companies who own the more well known pop artists. The internet makes people aware of other kinds of music and this is not good for the big recording companies.

File sharing made my band more known than it would have been without it, made our art more valid because it was listened by more people and made it better because we had more influences and where to draw from. This is bullcrap sometimes hosting sites delete stuff without even contacting bands to know if they actually want to share(normally they want.)

If I didn't download stuff I wouldn't buy stuff, well actually now I'd only buy from a band who supports free-sharing of their songs...I get a lot of thank-you from bands when I post their albums in my blog. FREE-SHARING HELPS ART.

I agree with that at least for the most part. Free sharing helps the artists that need help and deserve recognition and remuneration for their work and talents.

It's detrimental to huge production and publishing companies, the "middlemen" that are a hog on the whole market. Those need to go away, or at least they shouldn't be necessary for an artist's success. They used to be important, now they artificially increase the price of art and benefit some suits that have made millions of dollars off of other people's work.

Torrents can be used for theft, but they can also be used for legitimate sharing. There are a lot of games and songs that I wouldn't own today if torrents didn't exist. Plus, I still would own the more well-known music that I like anyway.


Interested about the middle paragraph. The same can be said about companies like amazon. Should vendors like amazon go away as well?
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
August 11 2012 18:30 GMT
#353
You know perfectly well that internet piracy in no way pertains to actual seafaring pirates, it was a cute moniker that was adopted by the filesharing community as a brand of sorts.


If you have the right to brand copyright infringement with a completely unrelated term, I don't see how you can justify preventing others from doing the same.

The fact that copyright infringement resembles stealing more than plundering ships on the high seas is apparent to anyone with a brain, and completely beside the point.


No, that is the point.

I judge you based on the merits of your argument. It has very little.


It's a simple argument. Theft is no more related to copyright infringement than piracy is.

What people think of the law is, wait for it, also irrelevant! Until it's changed, it is what it is, period, end of discussion, basta etc. It is also binary, you are either wrong or right. You are wrong.


My impression has always been that the "filesharing community" as you put it has always been free in spirit and against the establishment, so it's nice to see that you respect "the law" so much. But you of all people should know that there should never be an "end of discussion" regarding law. And it's not as binary as you'd think.

Your example is poor, murder and manslaughter involve more or less the same act in different circumstances. Stealing and copyright infringement are not nearly as closely related in legal terms(again, the only terms that hold any weight).


It is most definitely not the same act, unless by "same act" you mean "same outcome", which would bring us right back to "copyright infringement =/= theft".
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
August 11 2012 18:37 GMT
#354
On August 12 2012 03:27 Zocat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 03:00 Djzapz wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:14 Alpino wrote:
I'll explain why this is bullcrap in my experience as a recording musician, record collector and owner of a review/download blog(I post only underground Black Metal so none of my files ever gets take down) with 230,000 pageviews and 10,000 pageviews/month.

New artists in this new age have in file sharing their best chance of getting known and listened. Almost all CDs/Vynils I have bought I had already downloaded. Liking those cds I downloaded and reading interviews, etc, basically content from the bands I liked made me want to support those bands by buying their stuff whenever I felt this band deserved it and I had the money. Had I never downloaded those bands I wouldn't have spent my money and my time on them(writing about them). This is bad for the artists and good for the big recording companies who own the more well known pop artists. The internet makes people aware of other kinds of music and this is not good for the big recording companies.

File sharing made my band more known than it would have been without it, made our art more valid because it was listened by more people and made it better because we had more influences and where to draw from. This is bullcrap sometimes hosting sites delete stuff without even contacting bands to know if they actually want to share(normally they want.)

If I didn't download stuff I wouldn't buy stuff, well actually now I'd only buy from a band who supports free-sharing of their songs...I get a lot of thank-you from bands when I post their albums in my blog. FREE-SHARING HELPS ART.

I agree with that at least for the most part. Free sharing helps the artists that need help and deserve recognition and remuneration for their work and talents.

It's detrimental to huge production and publishing companies, the "middlemen" that are a hog on the whole market. Those need to go away, or at least they shouldn't be necessary for an artist's success. They used to be important, now they artificially increase the price of art and benefit some suits that have made millions of dollars off of other people's work.

Torrents can be used for theft, but they can also be used for legitimate sharing. There are a lot of games and songs that I wouldn't own today if torrents didn't exist. Plus, I still would own the more well-known music that I like anyway.


Interested about the middle paragraph. The same can be said about companies like amazon. Should vendors like amazon go away as well?

The same cannot be said for Amazon at all, they're the perfect minimalist middle man for sales. You can be sure they don't take the same massive cut producers and publishers take. We still need those platforms because they're reasonably prices and like torrents, they give a platform for the artists to be heard and discovered. I never said that we should abolish everything that stands between customers and artists. Artists should always be allowed to decide how to market themselves, but luckily because of the Internet, things are getting better.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 18:45 GMT
#355
On August 12 2012 03:30 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
You know perfectly well that internet piracy in no way pertains to actual seafaring pirates, it was a cute moniker that was adopted by the filesharing community as a brand of sorts.


If you have the right to brand copyright infringement with a completely unrelated term, I don't see how you can justify preventing others from doing the same.

Show nested quote +
The fact that copyright infringement resembles stealing more than plundering ships on the high seas is apparent to anyone with a brain, and completely beside the point.


No, that is the point.

Show nested quote +
I judge you based on the merits of your argument. It has very little.


It's a simple argument. Theft is no more related to copyright infringement than piracy is.

Show nested quote +
What people think of the law is, wait for it, also irrelevant! Until it's changed, it is what it is, period, end of discussion, basta etc. It is also binary, you are either wrong or right. You are wrong.


My impression has always been that the "filesharing community" as you put it has always been free in spirit and against the establishment, so it's nice to see that you respect "the law" so much. But you of all people should know that there should never be an "end of discussion" regarding law. And it's not as binary as you'd think.

Show nested quote +
Your example is poor, murder and manslaughter involve more or less the same act in different circumstances. Stealing and copyright infringement are not nearly as closely related in legal terms(again, the only terms that hold any weight).


It is most definitely not the same act, unless by "same act" you mean "same outcome", which would bring us right back to "copyright infringement =/= theft".


If the whole point was to prove filesharing is more akin to stealing than actual piracy, then...congrats? I mean, I agree with you and everything, it just seems like kind of a superfluous point to make.

Also, you're attributing opinions to me that I have never held or expressed. I did not label the filesharing community pirates, at least no one asked for my vote on the topic, nor am I a part of it. I have no personal vested interest in it.

As for the law, you are correct that it is often open to interpretation. In this case however, the cases are distinct, and not open for a popular vote.

I should have worded the murder/manslaughter argument better, apologies. Same outcome is more appropriate, which again would make it fundamentally different from copyright infringement vs stealing. In the case of murder and manslaughter, someone ends up dead in both scenarios. In the case of stealing, a piece of property is permanently removed, whereas in the case of copyright infringement it is copied. Different outcomes.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 18:57:39
August 11 2012 18:56 GMT
#356
If the whole point was to prove filesharing is more akin to stealing than actual piracy, then...congrats? I mean, I agree with you and everything, it just seems like kind of a superfluous point to make.


Then surely you cannot object if people on high horses decide to equate copyright infringement with theft, so long as they understand the legal differences.

Also, you're attributing opinions to me that I have never held or expressed. I did not label the filesharing community pirates, at least no one asked for my vote on the topic, nor am I a part of it. I have no personal vested interest in it.


You've referred to copyright infringement as piracy in your posts several times.

should have worded the murder/manslaughter argument better, apologies. Same outcome is more appropriate, which again would make it fundamentally different from copyright infringement vs stealing. In the case of murder and manslaughter, someone ends up dead in both scenarios. In the case of stealing, a piece of property is permanently removed, whereas in the case of copyright infringement it is copied. Different outcomes.


Fair enough, but they are different outcomes only in degree. As far as the perpetrator is affected, the outcome is the same - he gets something that he didn't pay for. This is what those opposed to file sharing emphasize. Those in favour of file sharing emphasize the opposite aspect - how the "victim" (justifications against evil corporations aside) is affected. I've seen the statistics, I understand that torrented copies don't correspond to lost sales on a 1:1 basis. But the opposite, that torrents don't affect sales at all, is no more truthful. Perhaps a better example would be the difference between assault and murder.
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 19:22 GMT
#357
On August 12 2012 03:56 Warlock40 wrote:
Show nested quote +
If the whole point was to prove filesharing is more akin to stealing than actual piracy, then...congrats? I mean, I agree with you and everything, it just seems like kind of a superfluous point to make.


Then surely you cannot object if people on high horses decide to equate copyright infringement with theft, so long as they understand the legal differences.

Show nested quote +
Also, you're attributing opinions to me that I have never held or expressed. I did not label the filesharing community pirates, at least no one asked for my vote on the topic, nor am I a part of it. I have no personal vested interest in it.


You've referred to copyright infringement as piracy in your posts several times.

Show nested quote +
should have worded the murder/manslaughter argument better, apologies. Same outcome is more appropriate, which again would make it fundamentally different from copyright infringement vs stealing. In the case of murder and manslaughter, someone ends up dead in both scenarios. In the case of stealing, a piece of property is permanently removed, whereas in the case of copyright infringement it is copied. Different outcomes.


Fair enough, but they are different outcomes only in degree. As far as the perpetrator is affected, the outcome is the same - he gets something that he didn't pay for. This is what those opposed to file sharing emphasize. Those in favour of file sharing emphasize the opposite aspect - how the "victim" (justifications against evil corporations aside) is affected. I've seen the statistics, I understand that torrented copies don't correspond to lost sales on a 1:1 basis. But the opposite, that torrents don't affect sales at all, is no more truthful. Perhaps a better example would be the difference between assault and murder.


People may refer to copyright infringement in any way they please, freedom of speech is cool like that.

Calling it piracy is a result of habit and I daresay social conditioning at this point, it's just that the term is so firmly ingrained by now I use it without thinking. What I meant was that I was not involved in coining the term from the beginning, I merely adopted it because it was how everyone around me referred to it. Probably could have worded that better as well.

On the final paragraph I suppose I can sort of agree, but as you pointed out, it depends largely on the angle of approach. And currently, the law sees from the perspective of the victim, not the perpetrator. Regarding the correlation between torrenting and lost sales, I have never disputed that.

Ultimately my argument was that calling copyright infringement stealing is not merely a matter of semantics, but of actual distinct misrepresentation.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Warlock40
Profile Joined September 2011
601 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 19:38:09
August 11 2012 19:36 GMT
#358
Ultimately my argument was that calling copyright infringement stealing is not merely a matter of semantics, but of actual distinct misrepresentation.


Well, I can't argue with that, because calling it stealing is indeed misrepresentation. But because of the way language can change over time to adapt to new circumstances, I don't think it's fair to say that people are wrong to draw parallels between some instances of copyright infringement and theft.

People may refer to copyright infringement in any way they please, freedom of speech is cool like that.


This is my view.

I guess what we can agree on is that opponents of file sharing shouldn't rely on hyperbolic metaphors about right and wrong to express their argument.
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
August 11 2012 19:42 GMT
#359
On August 12 2012 04:36 Warlock40 wrote:

Show nested quote +
People may refer to copyright infringement in any way they please, freedom of speech is cool like that.


This is my view.

I guess what we can agree on is that opponents of file sharing shouldn't rely on hyperbolic metaphors about right and wrong to express their argument.


Indeed, and partly because there is no need to. Their ulterior motive has always been to assert or imply that filesharing is a criminal activity, in which case calling it copyright infringement is every bit as viable as calling it stealing.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 21:12:55
August 11 2012 20:56 GMT
#360
On August 12 2012 03:37 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2012 03:27 Zocat wrote:
On August 12 2012 03:00 Djzapz wrote:
On August 12 2012 02:14 Alpino wrote:
I'll explain why this is bullcrap in my experience as a recording musician, record collector and owner of a review/download blog(I post only underground Black Metal so none of my files ever gets take down) with 230,000 pageviews and 10,000 pageviews/month.

New artists in this new age have in file sharing their best chance of getting known and listened. Almost all CDs/Vynils I have bought I had already downloaded. Liking those cds I downloaded and reading interviews, etc, basically content from the bands I liked made me want to support those bands by buying their stuff whenever I felt this band deserved it and I had the money. Had I never downloaded those bands I wouldn't have spent my money and my time on them(writing about them). This is bad for the artists and good for the big recording companies who own the more well known pop artists. The internet makes people aware of other kinds of music and this is not good for the big recording companies.

File sharing made my band more known than it would have been without it, made our art more valid because it was listened by more people and made it better because we had more influences and where to draw from. This is bullcrap sometimes hosting sites delete stuff without even contacting bands to know if they actually want to share(normally they want.)

If I didn't download stuff I wouldn't buy stuff, well actually now I'd only buy from a band who supports free-sharing of their songs...I get a lot of thank-you from bands when I post their albums in my blog. FREE-SHARING HELPS ART.

I agree with that at least for the most part. Free sharing helps the artists that need help and deserve recognition and remuneration for their work and talents.

It's detrimental to huge production and publishing companies, the "middlemen" that are a hog on the whole market. Those need to go away, or at least they shouldn't be necessary for an artist's success. They used to be important, now they artificially increase the price of art and benefit some suits that have made millions of dollars off of other people's work.

Torrents can be used for theft, but they can also be used for legitimate sharing. There are a lot of games and songs that I wouldn't own today if torrents didn't exist. Plus, I still would own the more well-known music that I like anyway.


Interested about the middle paragraph. The same can be said about companies like amazon. Should vendors like amazon go away as well?

The same cannot be said for Amazon at all, they're the perfect minimalist middle man for sales. You can be sure they don't take the same massive cut producers and publishers take. We still need those platforms because they're reasonably prices and like torrents, they give a platform for the artists to be heard and discovered. I never said that we should abolish everything that stands between customers and artists. Artists should always be allowed to decide how to market themselves, but luckily because of the Internet, things are getting better.


How much is amazon taking for just shipping around a product?
And how much is no longer okay for such a service?

Edit: not only limited to music
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko194
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27773
Calm 4288
Rain 2683
Hyuk 1501
Bisu 863
FanTaSy 644
Horang2 492
Jaedong 307
Soma 304
Rush 252
[ Show more ]
BeSt 244
Zeus 240
Stork 194
Mong 186
Mini 92
Larva 82
Mind 79
Pusan 70
ZerO 70
Light 62
Barracks 53
Sexy 49
ToSsGirL 47
910 42
Killer 39
Shinee 33
NaDa 30
Free 20
sorry 19
Hm[arnc] 15
Noble 14
Snow 13
Terrorterran 11
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5679
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1133
byalli854
shoxiejesuss539
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns49840
singsing1499
dupreeh312
crisheroes246
ZerO(Twitch)5
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• iopq 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1829
• Stunt327
Other Games
• WagamamaTV33
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 16m
Big Brain Bouts
23h 16m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.