• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:50
CEST 21:50
KST 04:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8716 users

Washington State Votes to Approve Gay Marriage - Page 10

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 29 Next All
Olinimm
Profile Joined November 2011
1471 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 10:18:01
February 09 2012 10:16 GMT
#181
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:
I live in Seattle and will be voting against gay marriage on this prop... For the record, I'm for gays in the military. I have nothing against gay people, I'm not religious, nor am I homophobic in the least. My political views are mostly liberal.

I think that marriage is something special between a man and a woman. A man and a woman are supposed to take their wedding vows to their grave. Society has begun to accept divorice as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. It used to always be shunned. Often spouses are quick to file for divorice, without trying to work out their marital issues. It's becoming increasingly common for couples to get married way too early in their relationships without figuring out if they're truly compatable with their mate. It seems to be especially true amongst celebrities, which sets a sickening example for society. Thanks Kim Kardashian and the countless others. I really do hope that this is only a phase.

I believe the average length of a male homosexual relationship is around 1 month. It's common knowledge amongst the community that they don't last for long. I have a bisexual female friend that has been hooking up with only girls for around 6 years now. She has a new girlfriend every 6-12 months. So my point is, if a vast majority of homosexual relationships are shortlived, why do they want to get married in the first place? I understand the "Just so we can" reason, but really? If you've been with your partner for 5+ years and want to get married I could understand why. But a fraction of a percent of homosexual relationships last that long. I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing. Like Kim Kardashians. That's just harmful to the concept of marriage.

Marriage has become way too loose with it's standards. I believe that if society allows homosexuals to partake in traditional marriage then the fundamental meaning of marriage would be devalued further. I would recommend calling it something else but that would be discrimination and unconstitutional. The way marriage works now is not discriminatory, as the definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Just because two homosexuals love each other and would like to spend the rest of their lives together doesnt mean they're entitled to marriage, because that's simply not what marriage is. Homosexual marriage would alter the true meaning of marriage, and I am against that.

Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.

Gay marriage would simply make marriage even more meaningless than it already is. We need to be heading in the other direction, not completely throw out the sanctity of marriage altogether.


I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing.

So do straight people.

Look, I don't care if you want marriage to always be some sacred unity, that's not what it should be in the legal sense. All it is is a social contract or union, and the notion that homosexual marriage would even devalue marriage more is silly. It's not as if heterosexual marriages are anything like you want them to be anymore, or that one between a man and a woman is more "special".
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
February 09 2012 10:20 GMT
#182
On February 09 2012 19:05 Vinland wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 17:54 Krzycho wrote:
Oh God, another step into demoralisation of people... Yet so many tl users approves. You have to look in your dictionary what marriage is... Then you'll find out that there cannot be a "gay marriage" unless you change the definition of marrige.

Then we just have to update every dictionary to the 21th century

Marriage is about love, its a commitment to spend and share your life with someone. Genitals/gender should not be in the way for that.
Also, a marriage doesnt really have to involve having kids. And even if it did, there are a ton of alternate ways to get one.


"Each new generation born is in effect an invasion of civilization by little barbarians, who must be civilized before it is too late"

Is what marriage is about, not love. If you think its not necessary, go into any suburb with very high illegitamacy rates . . .
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
February 09 2012 10:21 GMT
#183
What's stopping heteros from marrying and getting divorced like it's nothing? What actually makes marriage special? The fact that it's only available to a segregated few? BS. Give me a real argument.
OuchyDathurts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4588 Posts
February 09 2012 10:21 GMT
#184
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.


You can't actually believe that can you?

So if they made it legal you and your buddies would just start marrying the hell out of each other. But you don't do it now with a female friend because of R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

You honestly believe it's going to turn into thunderdome?

I'm sorry but that has to be the absolute worst excuse I've ever heard. My mind can't even comprehend.
LiquidDota Staff
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
February 09 2012 10:28 GMT
#185
On February 09 2012 19:16 Olinimm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:
I live in Seattle and will be voting against gay marriage on this prop... For the record, I'm for gays in the military. I have nothing against gay people, I'm not religious, nor am I homophobic in the least. My political views are mostly liberal.

I think that marriage is something special between a man and a woman. A man and a woman are supposed to take their wedding vows to their grave. Society has begun to accept divorice as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. It used to always be shunned. Often spouses are quick to file for divorice, without trying to work out their marital issues. It's becoming increasingly common for couples to get married way too early in their relationships without figuring out if they're truly compatable with their mate. It seems to be especially true amongst celebrities, which sets a sickening example for society. Thanks Kim Kardashian and the countless others. I really do hope that this is only a phase.

I believe the average length of a male homosexual relationship is around 1 month. It's common knowledge amongst the community that they don't last for long. I have a bisexual female friend that has been hooking up with only girls for around 6 years now. She has a new girlfriend every 6-12 months. So my point is, if a vast majority of homosexual relationships are shortlived, why do they want to get married in the first place? I understand the "Just so we can" reason, but really? If you've been with your partner for 5+ years and want to get married I could understand why. But a fraction of a percent of homosexual relationships last that long. I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing. Like Kim Kardashians. That's just harmful to the concept of marriage.

Marriage has become way too loose with it's standards. I believe that if society allows homosexuals to partake in traditional marriage then the fundamental meaning of marriage would be devalued further. I would recommend calling it something else but that would be discrimination and unconstitutional. The way marriage works now is not discriminatory, as the definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Just because two homosexuals love each other and would like to spend the rest of their lives together doesnt mean they're entitled to marriage, because that's simply not what marriage is. Homosexual marriage would alter the true meaning of marriage, and I am against that.

Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.

Gay marriage would simply make marriage even more meaningless than it already is. We need to be heading in the other direction, not completely throw out the sanctity of marriage altogether.


Show nested quote +
I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing.

So do straight people.

Look, I don't care if you want marriage to always be some sacred unity, that's not what it should be in the legal sense. All it is is a social contract or union, and the notion that homosexual marriage would even devalue marriage more is silly. It's not as if heterosexual marriages are anything like you want them to be anymore, or that one between a man and a woman is more "special".


Glad that you brought up that marriage is a social contract: between the couple and the rest of society. In return for the priveleges that society grants married couples, there also come a couple obligations, (that while difficult to legally enforce, are generally socially enforeced), such as have children, show your children how they are supposed to behave, both with respect to strangers and between husband and wife, contribute to the social, economic and cultural capital of the community.

If not, what are the obligations of marriage? Are there any? Is it just another thing that is all rights, entitlement and no duty? Do you believe that anyone has duties to society? Or do you believe you can be one of societies free riders, contributing to the destruction of the social, cultural and material capital of the west . . .
OuchyDathurts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4588 Posts
February 09 2012 10:38 GMT
#186
Having children is an obligation of marriage now?

What ever happened to minding your own damn business and just living your life?
LiquidDota Staff
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 10:39:25
February 09 2012 10:39 GMT
#187
On February 09 2012 19:28 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 19:16 Olinimm wrote:
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:
I live in Seattle and will be voting against gay marriage on this prop... For the record, I'm for gays in the military. I have nothing against gay people, I'm not religious, nor am I homophobic in the least. My political views are mostly liberal.

I think that marriage is something special between a man and a woman. A man and a woman are supposed to take their wedding vows to their grave. Society has begun to accept divorice as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. It used to always be shunned. Often spouses are quick to file for divorice, without trying to work out their marital issues. It's becoming increasingly common for couples to get married way too early in their relationships without figuring out if they're truly compatable with their mate. It seems to be especially true amongst celebrities, which sets a sickening example for society. Thanks Kim Kardashian and the countless others. I really do hope that this is only a phase.

I believe the average length of a male homosexual relationship is around 1 month. It's common knowledge amongst the community that they don't last for long. I have a bisexual female friend that has been hooking up with only girls for around 6 years now. She has a new girlfriend every 6-12 months. So my point is, if a vast majority of homosexual relationships are shortlived, why do they want to get married in the first place? I understand the "Just so we can" reason, but really? If you've been with your partner for 5+ years and want to get married I could understand why. But a fraction of a percent of homosexual relationships last that long. I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing. Like Kim Kardashians. That's just harmful to the concept of marriage.

Marriage has become way too loose with it's standards. I believe that if society allows homosexuals to partake in traditional marriage then the fundamental meaning of marriage would be devalued further. I would recommend calling it something else but that would be discrimination and unconstitutional. The way marriage works now is not discriminatory, as the definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Just because two homosexuals love each other and would like to spend the rest of their lives together doesnt mean they're entitled to marriage, because that's simply not what marriage is. Homosexual marriage would alter the true meaning of marriage, and I am against that.

Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.

Gay marriage would simply make marriage even more meaningless than it already is. We need to be heading in the other direction, not completely throw out the sanctity of marriage altogether.


I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing.

So do straight people.

Look, I don't care if you want marriage to always be some sacred unity, that's not what it should be in the legal sense. All it is is a social contract or union, and the notion that homosexual marriage would even devalue marriage more is silly. It's not as if heterosexual marriages are anything like you want them to be anymore, or that one between a man and a woman is more "special".


Glad that you brought up that marriage is a social contract: between the couple and the rest of society. In return for the priveleges that society grants married couples, there also come a couple obligations, (that while difficult to legally enforce, are generally socially enforeced), such as have children, show your children how they are supposed to behave, both with respect to strangers and between husband and wife, contribute to the social, economic and cultural capital of the community.

If not, what are the obligations of marriage? Are there any? Is it just another thing that is all rights, entitlement and no duty? Do you believe that anyone has duties to society? Or do you believe you can be one of societies free riders, contributing to the destruction of the social, cultural and material capital of the west . . .


The obligations that come with marriage mostly consist about the couple caring for eachother. It has nothing to do with raising children, because unmarried couples can have kids and there are plenty of single parents.

People that live as a couple generally require less welfare money and services and they are less of a burden on the medical system (since partners can take care of eachother). From a purely rational point of view, the marriage is an agreement between the 2 partners to remain a couple in exchange for tax benefits and things like the option to make life-or-death decisions for the other when the other is hospitalized and unable to act.

Your second obligation that married people should have is "contribute to the social, economic and cultural capital of the community" and I don't see how straight people can do this any better than gay people.
Such flammable little insects!
Darkong
Profile Joined February 2010
United Kingdom418 Posts
February 09 2012 10:56 GMT
#188
On February 09 2012 19:28 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 19:16 Olinimm wrote:
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:
I live in Seattle and will be voting against gay marriage on this prop... For the record, I'm for gays in the military. I have nothing against gay people, I'm not religious, nor am I homophobic in the least. My political views are mostly liberal.

I think that marriage is something special between a man and a woman. A man and a woman are supposed to take their wedding vows to their grave. Society has begun to accept divorice as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. It used to always be shunned. Often spouses are quick to file for divorice, without trying to work out their marital issues. It's becoming increasingly common for couples to get married way too early in their relationships without figuring out if they're truly compatable with their mate. It seems to be especially true amongst celebrities, which sets a sickening example for society. Thanks Kim Kardashian and the countless others. I really do hope that this is only a phase.

I believe the average length of a male homosexual relationship is around 1 month. It's common knowledge amongst the community that they don't last for long. I have a bisexual female friend that has been hooking up with only girls for around 6 years now. She has a new girlfriend every 6-12 months. So my point is, if a vast majority of homosexual relationships are shortlived, why do they want to get married in the first place? I understand the "Just so we can" reason, but really? If you've been with your partner for 5+ years and want to get married I could understand why. But a fraction of a percent of homosexual relationships last that long. I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing. Like Kim Kardashians. That's just harmful to the concept of marriage.

Marriage has become way too loose with it's standards. I believe that if society allows homosexuals to partake in traditional marriage then the fundamental meaning of marriage would be devalued further. I would recommend calling it something else but that would be discrimination and unconstitutional. The way marriage works now is not discriminatory, as the definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Just because two homosexuals love each other and would like to spend the rest of their lives together doesnt mean they're entitled to marriage, because that's simply not what marriage is. Homosexual marriage would alter the true meaning of marriage, and I am against that.

Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.

Gay marriage would simply make marriage even more meaningless than it already is. We need to be heading in the other direction, not completely throw out the sanctity of marriage altogether.


I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing.

So do straight people.

Look, I don't care if you want marriage to always be some sacred unity, that's not what it should be in the legal sense. All it is is a social contract or union, and the notion that homosexual marriage would even devalue marriage more is silly. It's not as if heterosexual marriages are anything like you want them to be anymore, or that one between a man and a woman is more "special".


Glad that you brought up that marriage is a social contract: between the couple and the rest of society. In return for the priveleges that society grants married couples, there also come a couple obligations, (that while difficult to legally enforce, are generally socially enforeced), such as have children, show your children how they are supposed to behave, both with respect to strangers and between husband and wife, contribute to the social, economic and cultural capital of the community.

If not, what are the obligations of marriage? Are there any? Is it just another thing that is all rights, entitlement and no duty? Do you believe that anyone has duties to society? Or do you believe you can be one of societies free riders, contributing to the destruction of the social, cultural and material capital of the west . . .


Since when was having children an obligation or even perceived obligation of marriage? If this was true then infertile people, women 50 and over and people who just don't want children wouldn't be allowed to marry any more than gay couples.

There ARE no obligations of marriage, there were in the past but this is not that time.
Trolling the Battle.Net forums, the most fun you can have with your pants on.
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 11:09:06
February 09 2012 11:03 GMT
#189
Should unmarried couples have kids? Cohabitating couples, as opposed to married couples are much more unstable, while single parents are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

I would argue that from a purely rational point of view, the point of commitment, love and marriage is to provide a stable environment in which to raise children. I would point to the studies of "orchid" children vs "dandelion" children, to understand its importance. (dandelion children turn out ok almost no matter how bad their childhood environment. Orchid children go badly if they grow up in an unstable environment, but turn out better than dandelion children if they grow up in stable environments.) Hence, the reason why we subsidise marriage, but not roommates/cohabitating couples is because we want to encourage a behaviour that makes it feasible to raise the next generation effectively.

As I have stated before: it is no surprise that the highest rates of illegitimacy and divorce are within the ranks of the poor.

On February 09 2012 19:56 Darkong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 19:28 vetinari wrote:
On February 09 2012 19:16 Olinimm wrote:
On February 09 2012 19:02 HypnotyZ wrote:
I live in Seattle and will be voting against gay marriage on this prop... For the record, I'm for gays in the military. I have nothing against gay people, I'm not religious, nor am I homophobic in the least. My political views are mostly liberal.

I think that marriage is something special between a man and a woman. A man and a woman are supposed to take their wedding vows to their grave. Society has begun to accept divorice as a perfectly normal and acceptable thing. It used to always be shunned. Often spouses are quick to file for divorice, without trying to work out their marital issues. It's becoming increasingly common for couples to get married way too early in their relationships without figuring out if they're truly compatable with their mate. It seems to be especially true amongst celebrities, which sets a sickening example for society. Thanks Kim Kardashian and the countless others. I really do hope that this is only a phase.

I believe the average length of a male homosexual relationship is around 1 month. It's common knowledge amongst the community that they don't last for long. I have a bisexual female friend that has been hooking up with only girls for around 6 years now. She has a new girlfriend every 6-12 months. So my point is, if a vast majority of homosexual relationships are shortlived, why do they want to get married in the first place? I understand the "Just so we can" reason, but really? If you've been with your partner for 5+ years and want to get married I could understand why. But a fraction of a percent of homosexual relationships last that long. I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing. Like Kim Kardashians. That's just harmful to the concept of marriage.

Marriage has become way too loose with it's standards. I believe that if society allows homosexuals to partake in traditional marriage then the fundamental meaning of marriage would be devalued further. I would recommend calling it something else but that would be discrimination and unconstitutional. The way marriage works now is not discriminatory, as the definition of marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Just because two homosexuals love each other and would like to spend the rest of their lives together doesnt mean they're entitled to marriage, because that's simply not what marriage is. Homosexual marriage would alter the true meaning of marriage, and I am against that.

Lastly I'd like to make the point of the loophole that gay marriage would create. Let's say I'm young, tight on my budget, and share an apartment with a friend. What prevents me from filing a marriage with my buddy so that we can reap the financial benefits that are given to married couples? Then once we move out of the apartment a year or 2 later we file divorice. Seems like just about everyone could do that right? How special is marriage now? Seriously. And the reason male+female friends don't abuse this with each other is because they realize that marriage is supposed to be special.

Gay marriage would simply make marriage even more meaningless than it already is. We need to be heading in the other direction, not completely throw out the sanctity of marriage altogether.


I think if gay marriage is passed then homosexuals will get married and divoriced like it's absolutely nothing.

So do straight people.

Look, I don't care if you want marriage to always be some sacred unity, that's not what it should be in the legal sense. All it is is a social contract or union, and the notion that homosexual marriage would even devalue marriage more is silly. It's not as if heterosexual marriages are anything like you want them to be anymore, or that one between a man and a woman is more "special".


Glad that you brought up that marriage is a social contract: between the couple and the rest of society. In return for the priveleges that society grants married couples, there also come a couple obligations, (that while difficult to legally enforce, are generally socially enforeced), such as have children, show your children how they are supposed to behave, both with respect to strangers and between husband and wife, contribute to the social, economic and cultural capital of the community.

If not, what are the obligations of marriage? Are there any? Is it just another thing that is all rights, entitlement and no duty? Do you believe that anyone has duties to society? Or do you believe you can be one of societies free riders, contributing to the destruction of the social, cultural and material capital of the west . . .


Since when was having children an obligation or even perceived obligation of marriage? If this was true then infertile people, women 50 and over and people who just don't want children wouldn't be allowed to marry any more than gay couples.

There ARE no obligations of marriage, there were in the past but this is not that time.


I'm so glad that there weren't any riots in london lately.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
February 09 2012 11:08 GMT
#190
On February 09 2012 20:03 vetinari wrote:
Should unmarried couples have kids? Cohabitating couples, as opposed to married couples are much more unstable, while single parents are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

I would argue that from a purely rational point of view, the point of commitment, love and marriage is to provide a stable environment in which to raise children. I would point to the studies of "orchid" children vs "dandelion" children, to understand its importance. (dandelion children turn out ok almost no matter how bad their childhood environment. Orchid children go badly if they grow up in an unstable environment, but turn out better than dandelion children if they grow up in stable environments.) Hence, the reason why we subsidise marriage, but not roommates/cohabitating couples is because we want to encourage a behaviour that makes it feasible to raise the next generation effectively.

As I have stated before: it is no surprise that the highest rates of illegitimacy and divorce are within the ranks of the poor.

Should turtles have kids? Turtles are much more unstable, while rabbits are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

Something about orchids...dandelions....blah blah blah. Subsidize instead of segregate...only straight people are effective...blah blah blah. Some random tangent to the poor...etc

Is there anything that isn't BS in your post?
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
February 09 2012 11:10 GMT
#191
On February 09 2012 20:08 Roe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 20:03 vetinari wrote:
Should unmarried couples have kids? Cohabitating couples, as opposed to married couples are much more unstable, while single parents are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

I would argue that from a purely rational point of view, the point of commitment, love and marriage is to provide a stable environment in which to raise children. I would point to the studies of "orchid" children vs "dandelion" children, to understand its importance. (dandelion children turn out ok almost no matter how bad their childhood environment. Orchid children go badly if they grow up in an unstable environment, but turn out better than dandelion children if they grow up in stable environments.) Hence, the reason why we subsidise marriage, but not roommates/cohabitating couples is because we want to encourage a behaviour that makes it feasible to raise the next generation effectively.

As I have stated before: it is no surprise that the highest rates of illegitimacy and divorce are within the ranks of the poor.

Should turtles have kids? Turtles are much more unstable, while rabbits are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

Something about orchids...dandelions....blah blah blah. Subsidize instead of segregate...only straight people are effective...blah blah blah. Some random tangent to the poor...etc

Is there anything that isn't BS in your post?


Yeah.

Everything. Troll elsewhere.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
February 09 2012 11:12 GMT
#192
Just when I thought the side against gay marriage could not get any creepier, they start proffessing their love for societal engineering.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
February 09 2012 11:14 GMT
#193
On February 09 2012 20:10 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 20:08 Roe wrote:
On February 09 2012 20:03 vetinari wrote:
Should unmarried couples have kids? Cohabitating couples, as opposed to married couples are much more unstable, while single parents are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

I would argue that from a purely rational point of view, the point of commitment, love and marriage is to provide a stable environment in which to raise children. I would point to the studies of "orchid" children vs "dandelion" children, to understand its importance. (dandelion children turn out ok almost no matter how bad their childhood environment. Orchid children go badly if they grow up in an unstable environment, but turn out better than dandelion children if they grow up in stable environments.) Hence, the reason why we subsidise marriage, but not roommates/cohabitating couples is because we want to encourage a behaviour that makes it feasible to raise the next generation effectively.

As I have stated before: it is no surprise that the highest rates of illegitimacy and divorce are within the ranks of the poor.

Should turtles have kids? Turtles are much more unstable, while rabbits are terrible parents, ceteris paribus.

Something about orchids...dandelions....blah blah blah. Subsidize instead of segregate...only straight people are effective...blah blah blah. Some random tangent to the poor...etc

Is there anything that isn't BS in your post?


Yeah.

Everything. Troll elsewhere.

Classic irony
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 11:26:29
February 09 2012 11:18 GMT
#194
On February 09 2012 18:26 Krzycho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 18:03 Rannasha wrote:
On February 09 2012 17:54 Krzycho wrote:
Oh God, another step into demoralisation of people... Yet so many tl users approves. You have to look in your dictionary what marriage is... Then you'll find out that there cannot be a "gay marriage" unless you change the definition of marrige.


Please enlighten me: Exactly how does this work to "demoralise" (note that demoralise means "to lose morale", not "to lose morals", which would be "immoralise") people? If anything, treating people equally and allowing everyone to get married should serve to strengthen social bonds.


Thanks for correcting me, I meant immoralise
And it's this way because sexuality is not something you show to everyone. I'm not against gay people, they've been here since ever and they don't harm anyone, but approving gay marrige is wrong, especially to children. Imagine a child who has 2 daddys or 2 moms. Is it right for you? And marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman supposed to give birth and raise kids. Oh and gay people can "create" a civil law partnership, but it's not marriage.


The argument that marriage always has been between a man and a woman and therefore gay people can't get married is a falacy. Gay marriage a demoralization, rofl...

I wasn't going to jump in here. I usually don't. But, after such a great post, I cannot help myself.

First, let me say, that I completely agree with you. Well, on your main point. That, "people who claim to oppose gay marriage on non-religious ground [use flawed logic]."

The only reason I oppose gay marriage is because God tells me it's wrong. It's his universe, he gets to make the rules. If you don't believe in God, the God of the bible, then why would you oppose such a thing? I believe God created us, and that Adam and Eve laid claim to the very first marriage on earth. In them we were showed what was meant to be. Of course, they screwed up and lived far from perfectly, but that's not the point here.

If you don't believe that, and you believe in, let's just choose an alternative, evolution, then why do you care if gay marriage exists? What if homosexuality is evolution's solution to over-population? What if they are just more evolved than we are? Or, what if they are the "3rd gender?"

If the bible was not true, I would absolutely vote for gay marriage, not because I don't think it harms the child(ren), but because I would have no moral ground to stand on. We would all just be making stuff up as we go along. It would be majority vote. Moral relativism. And, that is just a war on logic.


This post. Makes. Absolutely no sense. WHATSOEVER.
First off. You don't ''believe'' in evolution like you belief in god. Evolution is based on evidence. Believing in god is not. Not accepting evolution to me seems like not accepting the gravitational theory of Newton. Anyway, the bible isn't true, so yeah...
Cubu
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
1171 Posts
February 09 2012 11:25 GMT
#195
Marriage is a formal union between a man and WOman. It really takes the integrity of marriage away.
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
February 09 2012 11:31 GMT
#196
On February 09 2012 20:12 zalz wrote:
Just when I thought the side against gay marriage could not get any creepier, they start proffessing their love for societal engineering.


Because changing marriage from man + woman to man/woman + man/woman is not social engineering.

Liberals are the greatest hypocrits in existence. You have been conducting social engineering for the past 200 years.
Rabbitmaster
Profile Joined August 2010
1357 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 11:40:21
February 09 2012 11:35 GMT
#197
On February 09 2012 20:25 Cubu wrote:
Marriage is a formal union between a man and WOman. It really takes the integrity of marriage away.


No, marriage is a word. Which in our very homophobic past meant a union between a man and a woman. However society and morals evolve with time, despite the efforts of many. Do you belive that a man and a woman should both be stoned if they have sex during her period? Or being stoned for working on the sabbath? (i mean stoned as in execution, not as in "get high" btw). You need to mind your own business, and let people do what the fuck they want. No one is gonna force unwilling churches to marry people.

On February 09 2012 20:31 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 20:12 zalz wrote:
Just when I thought the side against gay marriage could not get any creepier, they start proffessing their love for societal engineering.


Because changing marriage from man + woman to man/woman + man/woman is not social engineering.

Liberals are the greatest hypocrits in existence. You have been conducting social engineering for the past 200 years.


Engineering implies conscious intention. And that is not what is going on here.
God is dead.
Paperplane
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands1823 Posts
February 09 2012 11:39 GMT
#198
On February 09 2012 20:25 Cubu wrote:
Marriage is a formal union between a man and WOman. It really takes the integrity of marriage away.


Says who? God? Sorry but marriage existed way before christianity.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
February 09 2012 11:39 GMT
#199
On February 09 2012 20:31 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 20:12 zalz wrote:
Just when I thought the side against gay marriage could not get any creepier, they start proffessing their love for societal engineering.


Because changing marriage from man + woman to man/woman + man/woman is not social engineering.

Liberals are the greatest hypocrits in existence. You have been conducting social engineering for the past 200 years.

No you're right, it isn't social engineering to allow people to live how they want to live. Conservatives want to use the government to shape who we are, who we love, who we live with. That's what I call hypocrisy.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
February 09 2012 11:40 GMT
#200
On February 09 2012 20:31 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2012 20:12 zalz wrote:
Just when I thought the side against gay marriage could not get any creepier, they start proffessing their love for societal engineering.


Because changing marriage from man + woman to man/woman + man/woman is not social engineering.

Liberals are the greatest hypocrits in existence. You have been conducting social engineering for the past 200 years.


You don't understand the term "social engineering."

That isn't a bad thing, but don't pretend that you do when it is incredibly obvious that you don't.


And to answer your question/confusion.

No, that is indeed, not social engineering.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 29 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 542
ProTech143
BRAT_OK 80
Railgan 52
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1636
Shuttle 682
Dewaltoss 125
Trap 27
Bale 18
scan(afreeca) 15
Dota 2
420jenkins490
XaKoH 477
Counter-Strike
fl0m4114
Fnx 668
kRYSTAL_23
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4146
Liquid`Hasu620
Other Games
summit1g4210
Liquid`RaSZi2003
FrodaN1021
B2W.Neo425
ToD216
C9.Mang0166
TKL 95
UpATreeSC83
RotterdaM65
QueenE64
Mew2King32
PPMD15
JuggernautJason14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV230
WardiTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 35
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2466
League of Legends
• TFBlade873
Other Games
• Shiphtur1331
• imaqtpie845
• WagamamaTV307
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 10m
Patches Events
20h 10m
The PondCast
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.