• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:46
CEST 04:46
KST 11:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7391 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 64

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 69 Next
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-24 23:07:15
October 24 2012 23:06 GMT
#1261
On October 16 2012 03:18 SilverLeagueElite wrote:
...and in one case we have evidence that a small army of children has been employed to exaggerate one individual's learning accomplishments.

Shit's cray.


Lol, there are simply no words for this.
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
October 25 2012 10:20 GMT
#1262
So I've scaled back a bit on my Memrise due to learning through other means more, but has anyone ever had a recent suggested change go through?

I've been suggesting a bunch of changes for some of the German-English translations but I haven't seen any of them actioned (aside from an old one about U-Bahn being translated as Tube). Does anyone know how this process works or how long it takes? Recently I've had erfassen translated as "to gather sth" which is ridiculously ambiguous. I also just had übrigens (by the way) called an adverb and had a noun given as a verb. Das Futter has the translation "lining" despite all the mems being about animal feed.

What the hell happened? Obviously these translations were different at some point otherwise there wouldn't be mnemonics based on different translations.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
October 25 2012 12:28 GMT
#1263
On October 25 2012 19:20 Flicky wrote:
So I've scaled back a bit on my Memrise due to learning through other means more, but has anyone ever had a recent suggested change go through?

I've been suggesting a bunch of changes for some of the German-English translations but I haven't seen any of them actioned (aside from an old one about U-Bahn being translated as Tube). Does anyone know how this process works or how long it takes? Recently I've had erfassen translated as "to gather sth" which is ridiculously ambiguous. I also just had übrigens (by the way) called an adverb and had a noun given as a verb. Das Futter has the translation "lining" despite all the mems being about animal feed.

What the hell happened? Obviously these translations were different at some point otherwise there wouldn't be mnemonics based on different translations.

:p

"Das Futter" can mean both food or lining. I probably wouldn't try and learn it as lining though, you'll hardly ever use that word... EVER. And even if you have to you're good to say "that thingie stuffed inside my boots to make them feel warm and comfy!" whereas "Futter" as food is a pretty common term for either animal food or some snack kind of things. You wouldn't call a proper meal "Futter" though unless you want to insult the cook.

There's really no way around using a dictionary from time to time to doublecheck I guess. I'm using dict.cc if I'm encountering something that may have multiple meanings or I'm just not sure what kind of connotation it's supposed to be and it's really good for english <-> german. What you get for "erfassen" for example would be:
+ Show Spoiler [pic] +
[image loading]


and you obviously get the idea once you see that.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
anatase
Profile Joined May 2010
France532 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-25 13:18:28
October 25 2012 13:15 GMT
#1264
I heard of the website a long time ago and I couldn't find it again.

So nice it's that well developed on TL.

Now should we make some language thread ?

ie: i see many people who are learning french in this thread list. I am myself french, i am learning chinese on memrise.

I could help them by chatting - improving pronunciation, correcting little mistakes, telling vocabulary, etc...- in french and they could answer me in either english/chinese and vis versa ( currently in Toronto to perfect my english).

We could set up some kind of "Partners language thread" or Tandem thread for people to skype/mumble/ts/sc2/play using languages:


What do you think TL ?



BTW if you could add me to the TL-list (TL-anatase) thx !
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
October 25 2012 13:40 GMT
#1265
Thats a pretty good idea imo. Im learning japanese myself and I could really use a partner to practice with.

I only speak english and dutch fluently though, so I dont have much to offer in return, considering anyone here already speaks english. Id be more than happy to help anyone out with dutch though! ( ofcourse as a duthman I speak some german too but we already have some fluent germans)
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
Flip9
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany151 Posts
October 25 2012 16:35 GMT
#1266
On October 25 2012 22:15 anatase wrote:
I heard of the website a long time ago and I couldn't find it again.

So nice it's that well developed on TL.

Now should we make some language thread ?

ie: i see many people who are learning french in this thread list. I am myself french, i am learning chinese on memrise.

I could help them by chatting - improving pronunciation, correcting little mistakes, telling vocabulary, etc...- in french and they could answer me in either english/chinese and vis versa ( currently in Toronto to perfect my english).

We could set up some kind of "Partners language thread" or Tandem thread for people to skype/mumble/ts/sc2/play using languages
:


What do you think TL ?



BTW if you could add me to the TL-list (TL-anatase) thx !

that would be really awesome
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
October 25 2012 19:18 GMT
#1267
On October 25 2012 19:20 Flicky wrote:
So I've scaled back a bit on my Memrise due to learning through other means more, but has anyone ever had a recent suggested change go through?


The beta site has been practically locked down for 2 months and the 1.0 site doesn't have any wiki editing tools yet. As a result, nothing's getting changed for now.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
spangled
Profile Joined March 2012
United States24 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 10:14:36
November 09 2012 09:32 GMT
#1268
1.0 site is here, arise TL!!!

I just created a course under the topic Standardized Tests / Graduate School

400 most common words found on the GRE test, hope it helps anyone who wants to expand their vocabulary and prep for the Grad school entrance exam.
I am the Master of My Fate: I am the Captain of My Soul. William Ernest Henley
LioRawr
Profile Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 10:47:17
November 09 2012 10:46 GMT
#1269
On November 09 2012 18:32 spangled wrote:
1.0 site is here, arise TL!!!

I just created a course under the topic Standardized Tests / Graduate School

400 most common words found on the GRE test, hope it helps anyone who wants to expand their vocabulary and prep for the Grad school entrance exam.



Yeah, since I was a tester for the 1.0 version, I really hoped they'd postpone it because I dislike most of the changes. But alas, now it's there. However, you can still use the old site as well.
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
November 09 2012 11:09 GMT
#1270
just logged in. Using it with just a keyboard seemed slower. Yuck. I'll update the TL mempal list with the people from the last two pages in a bit.

And not migrating my current courses, but asking me to test 1.0 - I find that somewhat questionable.
Here be Dragons
spangled
Profile Joined March 2012
United States24 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 11:42:40
November 09 2012 11:38 GMT
#1271
On November 09 2012 20:09 Rimstalker wrote:

And not migrating my current courses, but asking me to test 1.0 - I find that somewhat questionable.



Yeah me too, at first I was going to wait for them to migrate my the courses over but than I decided why not give the new site a try.

It took awhile learning how to make a new course on 1.0, if I recall right here are the steps,

create your course, specify what topic your subject falls under.

than once in new course you can go into database and actually find your old course from the old memrise wiki database.

copy and paste, add as group to your new course. might take awhile to load.

lastly create levels, say you have 400 words in your course, you need to break them down into small learning lessons,

ex: 25 words before moving to next level. than the next batch of 25 words, etc...

than make your course public and defend your leaderboard status from your students, haha

Also, Rimstalker are you sure a nun can never marry? You know what they say in Spanish never say nunca!
I am the Master of My Fate: I am the Captain of My Soul. William Ernest Henley
[]Phase[]
Profile Joined September 2010
Belgium927 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 13:31:34
November 09 2012 11:43 GMT
#1272
O thanks for the update guys, I can access 1.0 aswell now. However, is it normal that there is no way to log in anywhere? Ill probably refrain from using 1.0 until I can import everything I have learned. Is there a possibility to do this already? Am I missing something?

EDIT : nvm, found the answer I was looking for
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
November 09 2012 20:27 GMT
#1273
On November 09 2012 20:38 spangled wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2012 20:09 Rimstalker wrote:

And not migrating my current courses, but asking me to test 1.0 - I find that somewhat questionable.



Yeah me too, at first I was going to wait for them to migrate my the courses over but than I decided why not give the new site a try.

It took awhile learning how to make a new course on 1.0, if I recall right here are the steps,

create your course, specify what topic your subject falls under.

than once in new course you can go into database and actually find your old course from the old memrise wiki database.

copy and paste, add as group to your new course. might take awhile to load.

lastly create levels, say you have 400 words in your course, you need to break them down into small learning lessons,

ex: 25 words before moving to next level. than the next batch of 25 words, etc...

than make your course public and defend your leaderboard status from your students, haha

Also, Rimstalker are you sure a nun can never marry? You know what they say in Spanish never say nunca!


I was more talking about my progress in the courses I am currently learning. I have done some audio recording, but not set up any courses as of yet.

Aren't all nuns married to the LORD?
Here be Dragons
Azza
Profile Joined June 2010
China650 Posts
November 10 2012 11:26 GMT
#1274
is 1.0 a different site? mine still says beta.
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-12 10:54:05
November 10 2012 11:40 GMT
#1275
1.0 still seems to be lacking a lot of stuff. It's much slicker, but there's still no way to mark words as already studied, or to correct typos/misclicks.
Also a good portion of the Chinese courses are messed up - asking you to type characters when you haven't even been shown the pinyin. Talking of the pinyin, that's also split in such a way you can't see the words pronunciation unless you are specifically studying that (e.g you'll be shown 山,but not told it's ‘shan1' until after you've learnt it's mountain. Also while reviewing the fact it's mountain, you won't be shown the pinyin.

Or to put it another way:the site still feels like it's in beta

edit: After using it a bit more the fact it's now superfast and split up into levels goes a long way to making up for those problems, so I'm at least going to be casually using it for a while. It still kind of feels like the future of the world
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
Asshat
Profile Joined September 2010
593 Posts
November 10 2012 11:52 GMT
#1276
This site is in dire need of an android app, and an ios app has been out for ages too. Sour...
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
November 10 2012 12:05 GMT
#1277
On November 10 2012 20:52 Asshat wrote:
This site is in dire need of an android app, and an ios app has been out for ages too. Sour...


The ios app is unusable if it makes you feel better
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
theJob
Profile Joined October 2010
272 Posts
November 14 2012 06:36 GMT
#1278
On November 09 2012 19:46 LioRawr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2012 18:32 spangled wrote:
1.0 site is here, arise TL!!!

I just created a course under the topic Standardized Tests / Graduate School

400 most common words found on the GRE test, hope it helps anyone who wants to expand their vocabulary and prep for the Grad school entrance exam.



Yeah, since I was a tester for the 1.0 version, I really hoped they'd postpone it because I dislike most of the changes. But alas, now it's there. However, you can still use the old site as well.



Agreed! Most changes made the site less user friendly or dumbed down. The beta feels alot more refined than this to be honest.
Winners train. Loosers complain.
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
November 14 2012 08:13 GMT
#1279
On November 14 2012 15:36 theJob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2012 19:46 LioRawr wrote:
On November 09 2012 18:32 spangled wrote:
1.0 site is here, arise TL!!!

I just created a course under the topic Standardized Tests / Graduate School

400 most common words found on the GRE test, hope it helps anyone who wants to expand their vocabulary and prep for the Grad school entrance exam.



Yeah, since I was a tester for the 1.0 version, I really hoped they'd postpone it because I dislike most of the changes. But alas, now it's there. However, you can still use the old site as well.



Agreed! Most changes made the site less user friendly or dumbed down. The beta feels alot more refined than this to be honest.


Maybe they had an investor to look at it, and shit goes south when a wrong investor joins the party. It makes me chuckle how something that is dumbed down is also less user friendly, cause its usually the case. Makes me think of the movie Idiocracy
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-14 10:02:05
November 14 2012 10:01 GMT
#1280
Well, Memrise 1.0 is practically an entirely new site, whereas the beta site had a year of fixes and improvements. It's almost like they're starting over, just with a better foundation this time. I don't like it now either, but it'll be better in the long term.

Speaking of investors, I'm kind of worried about their business model. Trying to make money off premium courses is going to work about as well as Blizzard trying to monetize premium maps on battle.net, and if they can't make any money, how long are they going to be around? I have like 4000 words tracked on Memrise, and it's going to be a huge pain in the ass for me if the site disappears. Over the last few months, I've been gradually migrating most of my Japanese learning to Anki because I'm losing faith in the long-term prospects for Memrise.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings112
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft404
ByuN 275
RuFF_SC2 159
ViBE96
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2326
GuemChi 1284
MaD[AoV]175
Sharp 154
910 65
Bale 21
NaDa 17
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever385
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 592
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1049
Other Games
summit1g8730
JimRising 600
C9.Mang0342
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick818
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP71
• EnkiAlexander 66
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo554
Other Games
• Shiphtur509
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 14m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.