• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:19
CEST 23:19
KST 06:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10595 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 67 68 69 Next
Xpace
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2209 Posts
November 05 2011 18:00 GMT
#21
This is really, really interesting. I'm going to definitely give this a try, will update on how it goes!
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
November 05 2011 18:05 GMT
#22
On November 06 2011 02:24 InRaged wrote:
Be warned, multiple-choice tests are not effective way to memorize stuff.
I'm studying Japanese vocabulary for a half-year now and first ~3 monthes I was using Rosetta stone which is also based on multi-choice tests. After finishing 3rd level, I've started using anki (amazing tool by the way) and I couldn't remember shit from rosetta stone. Author of anki also says that he won't implement such tests in his program, because of their inefficiency.

So, my suggestion is if you use this website, try to remember answers before you look at available options, and if you can't, treat it as a failure.


Ok, this makes sense. Will try anki too. Thank you.
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
JoeReally
Profile Joined April 2010
Austria12 Posts
November 05 2011 18:10 GMT
#23
hmm .. interresting site .. i was just wondering if there is some help to pronounce for example the korean words, since im just thinking about learning another language and starting up from basically zero
Phenny
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1435 Posts
November 05 2011 18:16 GMT
#24
On November 06 2011 02:24 InRaged wrote:
Be warned, multiple-choice tests are not effective way to memorize stuff.
I'm studying Japanese vocabulary for a half-year now and first ~3 monthes I was using Rosetta stone which is also based on multi-choice tests. After finishing 3rd level, I've started using anki (amazing tool by the way) and I couldn't remember shit from rosetta stone. Author of anki also says that he won't implement such tests in his program, because of their inefficiency.

So, my suggestion is if you use this website, try to remember answers before you look at available options, and if you can't, treat it as a failure.


What do you reckon about using them together/both? (obviously not at the exact same time lol)

Would you reckon they'd compliment each other decently or should more time be invested in anki?
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 19:10:05
November 05 2011 18:29 GMT
#25
On November 06 2011 03:16 Phenny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2011 02:24 InRaged wrote:
Be warned, multiple-choice tests are not effective way to memorize stuff.
I'm studying Japanese vocabulary for a half-year now and first ~3 monthes I was using Rosetta stone which is also based on multi-choice tests. After finishing 3rd level, I've started using anki (amazing tool by the way) and I couldn't remember shit from rosetta stone. Author of anki also says that he won't implement such tests in his program, because of their inefficiency.

So, my suggestion is if you use this website, try to remember answers before you look at available options, and if you can't, treat it as a failure.


What do you reckon about using them together/both? (obviously not at the exact same time lol)

Would you reckon they'd compliment each other decently or should more time be invested in anki?


They seem to have mnemonics, sample audio clips and sample sentences which anki doesn't, though they are user submitted.

imo if you can control yourself not to look at the choices and recall it like he said then it should be fine. When I was learning through audio books I didn't remember everything and even now as I read stuff I have to keep looking up the same word repeatedly until eventually I remembered it because it was common enough.

Besides based on my experience with audio books, different methods have different strengths.
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Eogris
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States148 Posts
November 05 2011 18:29 GMT
#26
am i the only one that struggles with grammar instead of vocab
THE NUKES GONNA LAND ON HIS ARMYYYYYYYYYYY
Gak2
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada418 Posts
November 05 2011 18:32 GMT
#27
ah it's a game ! I love it.
Masq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1792 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 18:40:12
November 05 2011 18:32 GMT
#28
haha I'm using the mandarin tutorial on that site, its neat.

Im up to 16 words now, but the language is so strange to learn.

person who does = earth over sun?
pig = person who does + small dog ?
Snuggles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1865 Posts
November 05 2011 18:38 GMT
#29
I've studied Japanese for a year in formal courses and I've always struggled with learning Kanji. It's such a pain in the ass to study, I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Maybe this game will help.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 18:47:20
November 05 2011 18:43 GMT
#30
Decided to brush up on my Spanish a bit... kinda cheating since I already knew some of it XD

I want to brush up on my Japanese but I can only read it when it's romanized...

edit: el embotellamiento

Does that really belong in your first couple of sessions? lol
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Draconicfire
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2562 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 23:04:35
November 05 2011 18:44 GMT
#31
On November 06 2011 03:43 micronesia wrote:
Decided to brush up on my Spanish a bit... kinda cheating since I already knew some of it XD

I want to brush up on my Japanese but I can only read it when it's romanized...


Yea, especially with hanzi/kanji/hanja, if we don't know it, how are we supposed to type it in? They should at least give out the kana form of the word, if not romanized.

EDIT: Signed up as TL-Draconicfire btw. Will probably be trying to get up there in the leader boards haha.
@Drayxs | Drayxs.221 | Drayxs#1802
nalgene
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada2153 Posts
November 05 2011 18:44 GMT
#32
Download anki ( has some already made plugins you can download ) and they're Spaced Repetitions based ( SRS ) or rote memorization
Year 2500 Greater Israel ( Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen )
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
November 05 2011 18:45 GMT
#33
I want to improve my shitty German but the hardest part for me is creating sensible sentances. I will try this out for vocabulary but does anyone have a logical (and free) next step for furthering my language skills?
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 19:20:24
November 05 2011 19:01 GMT
#34
On November 06 2011 03:32 Masq wrote:
haha I'm using the mandarin tutorial on that site, its neat.

Im up to 16 words now, but the language is so strange to learn.

person who does = earth over sun?
pig = person who does + small dog ?


Some words have different meanings a long time ago (when the word was created of course), including the whole word and it's smaller "mini-word parts".

But I don't know how to help you with those 2 though.

Edit: I've gone through anki. It definitely is good and I'll be using it but it doesn't show you how it's pronounced. You'd need to complement that with something else.
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
November 05 2011 19:40 GMT
#35
On November 06 2011 02:24 InRaged wrote:
Be warned, multiple-choice tests are not effective way to memorize stuff.
I'm studying Japanese vocabulary for a half-year now and first ~3 monthes I was using Rosetta stone which is also based on multi-choice tests. After finishing 3rd level, I've started using anki (amazing tool by the way) and I couldn't remember shit from rosetta stone. Author of anki also says that he won't implement such tests in his program, because of their inefficiency.


I edited the OP: The test is not just multiple choice. If you do well (after 3-4 right answers in a row or something like that), the test format moves to type-answers-from-your-brain. And not just english-foreign, but also the other way around
I also started with Anki, but I like memrise more. It makes more fun, the testformat is less predictable and I remember more words

Another thing I noticed: memrise seems to have smarter answers.
Anki is like: correct answer is xya(blabla).
You type: "xya"
Anki: wrong.

memrise ignores what is written in the (), and also seems to have more thought-out answers in generall
With Anki I didn´t like the concept of measuring the difficulty of the words. memrise does this task, and it does it good. When a word is wrong, it is wrong because you don´t know how to write it, and not because you forgot a ().
Snuggles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1865 Posts
November 05 2011 19:44 GMT
#36
On November 06 2011 03:43 micronesia wrote:
Decided to brush up on my Spanish a bit... kinda cheating since I already knew some of it XD

I want to brush up on my Japanese but I can only read it when it's romanized...

edit: el embotellamiento

Does that really belong in your first couple of sessions? lol


Here micro, goto this link for the hiragana memrise http://www.memrise.com/topic/japanese-hiragana/ .

I've spent about an hour going through the kanji course and it seems pretty legit. I'm comfortable recognizing the basic kanji, much better than trying to study the old fashion way by a plain boring looking book.

The only thing I feel odd about it is the fact that I haven't written a single thing down on paper, which I would normally do to memorize the strokes, but the kanji itself registers in my head. I feel pretty weirded out by that lol.

There's also a wonky pronounciation learning guide for the kanji too so that you can associate the sound of the kanji to the character which I thought was great, but the beta guide seems buggy.

土 = soil or earth
木 = tree
士 = scholar
なべふた = lid (but iit seems like I can't turn my hiragana into plain radical kanji or w/e so I question the accuracy of some of these meanings and characters)

But yeah, if I can type it from heart onto the forum then it surely has benefited me even though the vocab couldn't be anymore random. I'll probably also check out the SAT vocab so I can learn new ways to insult people.
Trezeguet
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2656 Posts
November 05 2011 19:49 GMT
#37
On November 06 2011 03:43 micronesia wrote:
Decided to brush up on my Spanish a bit... kinda cheating since I already knew some of it XD

I want to brush up on my Japanese but I can only read it when it's romanized...

edit: el embotellamiento

Does that really belong in your first couple of sessions? lol

That is the toughest word for me right now. Shortly followed by pronouncing deshacer las meletas
Invictus212
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom78 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 20:09:12
November 05 2011 20:05 GMT
#38
This is a cool find. I've signed up! Thanks for sharing, Panda.

On November 06 2011 02:46 Arnstein wrote:
Almost like Khan Academy for math.

Check out www.khanacademy.org


Arnstein, this is an amazing site as well. Wow, I am so glad I signed onto TL today. I've been looking for good websites for both language and math practice.
Pika Chu
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Romania2510 Posts
November 05 2011 20:08 GMT
#39
This is awesome! I'm having fun with my weak french.

Someone has to make "sc2 language" :p, or gaming language.

I think this really has potential and can be used to teach millions of people different foreign languages. It's one nice spot on the internet where if you can/want should contribute .
They first ignore you. After they laugh at you. Next they will fight you. In the end you will win.
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
November 05 2011 20:13 GMT
#40
Its a cool concept in combination with other aids.

Self study to me never worked if I didn't immerse myself into it completely. If you are just going to use this site for learning then I doubt you will hang onto the language for long after you quit playing it. That's just my experience from using Rosetta stone programs and flashcard programs. I rather read texts and translate the words so when a word comes up a couple of times I can remember the translation and learn it via repetition that way.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 67 68 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 436
ProTech139
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 16
910 14
MaD[AoV]0
League of Legends
JimRising 181
Counter-Strike
fl0m4590
Fnx 555
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox118
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4544
Liquid`Hasu661
Other Games
summit1g4435
Liquid`RaSZi1606
FrodaN529
PPMD232
C9.Mang0185
RotterdaM103
JuggernautJason39
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream16
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21220
Other Games
• Shiphtur898
• imaqtpie616
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 42m
Patches Events
18h 42m
The PondCast
1d 12h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.