• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:39
CEST 19:39
KST 02:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7946 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 68

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 Next
Phenny
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1435 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-03 15:03:53
September 03 2013 15:03 GMT
#1341
On September 03 2013 19:20 TheKwas wrote:
Memrise doesn't work on my chrome either. Keeps popping up to an ad site. Works on IE tho (so slllooooow tho)


That's odd, I started back up yesterday after a multi month memrise hiatus on chrome and have had no problems. I'm using latest chrome afaik (only installed it in the last week or two).

Re memrise being just about words.
Memrise is all about vocab which is why to learn any language effectively (and to get any sort of grammar/syntax) you have to use other sites/programs in conjunction with it. It's just that comparatively, understanding syntax and grammar shiz is often much easier and takes less time than expanding vocab to the point of being proficient with the language.

I'm using memrise in conjunction with livemocha now for grammar supplementation.
Is duolingo iphone/tablet device only or can I use computer for it?
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
September 03 2013 15:06 GMT
#1342
On September 04 2013 00:03 Phenny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2013 19:20 TheKwas wrote:
Memrise doesn't work on my chrome either. Keeps popping up to an ad site. Works on IE tho (so slllooooow tho)


That's odd, I started back up yesterday after a multi month memrise hiatus on chrome and have had no problems. I'm using latest chrome afaik (only installed it in the last week or two).

Re memrise being just about words.
Memrise is all about vocab which is why to learn any language effectively (and to get any sort of grammar/syntax) you have to use other sites/programs in conjunction with it. It's just that comparatively, understanding syntax and grammar shiz is often much easier and takes less time than expanding vocab to the point of being proficient with the language.

I'm using memrise in conjunction with livemocha now for grammar supplementation.
Is duolingo iphone/tablet device only or can I use computer for it?


I don't think learning grammar is easier exactly, but when you have a wide enough vocab you can start to form sentences which means you can talk to people, read books, etc, and by doing so you will see proper grammar in use and start to pick it up. For the most part I've avoided using other sites for grammar, vocabulary was enough to get stuck in
Phenny
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1435 Posts
September 03 2013 15:16 GMT
#1343
On September 04 2013 00:06 bardtown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2013 00:03 Phenny wrote:
On September 03 2013 19:20 TheKwas wrote:
Memrise doesn't work on my chrome either. Keeps popping up to an ad site. Works on IE tho (so slllooooow tho)


That's odd, I started back up yesterday after a multi month memrise hiatus on chrome and have had no problems. I'm using latest chrome afaik (only installed it in the last week or two).

Re memrise being just about words.
Memrise is all about vocab which is why to learn any language effectively (and to get any sort of grammar/syntax) you have to use other sites/programs in conjunction with it. It's just that comparatively, understanding syntax and grammar shiz is often much easier and takes less time than expanding vocab to the point of being proficient with the language.

I'm using memrise in conjunction with livemocha now for grammar supplementation.
Is duolingo iphone/tablet device only or can I use computer for it?


I don't think learning grammar is easier exactly, but when you have a wide enough vocab you can start to form sentences which means you can talk to people, read books, etc, and by doing so you will see proper grammar in use and start to pick it up. For the most part I've avoided using other sites for grammar, vocabulary was enough to get stuck in


Hmm that's an interesting idea and I think I'd prefer that to "learning grammar".
I guess it's more genuine too because you see it in context and have to figure it out yourself rather than being shown exactly what cases X determines Y and so on.

I'm just not sure from an efficiency perspective but I guess ultimately it's probably just personal preference / learning style.
aicaramba
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands110 Posts
September 03 2013 19:10 GMT
#1344
On September 04 2013 00:03 Phenny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2013 19:20 TheKwas wrote:
Memrise doesn't work on my chrome either. Keeps popping up to an ad site. Works on IE tho (so slllooooow tho)


That's odd, I started back up yesterday after a multi month memrise hiatus on chrome and have had no problems. I'm using latest chrome afaik (only installed it in the last week or two).

Re memrise being just about words.
Memrise is all about vocab which is why to learn any language effectively (and to get any sort of grammar/syntax) you have to use other sites/programs in conjunction with it. It's just that comparatively, understanding syntax and grammar shiz is often much easier and takes less time than expanding vocab to the point of being proficient with the language.

I'm using memrise in conjunction with livemocha now for grammar supplementation.
Is duolingo iphone/tablet device only or can I use computer for it?



On twitter they said they had techincal issues. The website is working for me again.

Duolingo has a website, but also has a IOS/android app. www.duolingo.com. It focuses on sentences and some parts have grammar rules explained/practice. The spaced repetition is a bit different, I don't really understand it tbh, but meh..
Growiel
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)363 Posts
September 04 2013 06:53 GMT
#1345
Just found out that you can change your username on Memrise, so i'm now TL-Growiel. Feel free to add me !
StarCraft II for ever.
FILM
Profile Joined September 2010
United States663 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-01 23:42:37
October 01 2013 23:22 GMT
#1346
At it's inception I started with Korean and it was loads of fun seeing all the TL users destroying the leader-boards (back when they had 'high-fives'). I think it's been two or three years since then and I stopped due to having to focus on college. Well, about a month ago I got back into it and I've been doing like four hours of Japanese a day. Shit feels amazing. I genuinely feel like this is something I can stick with for years to come. I just hope the site stays around that long :D

TL-FILM is my handle, add me if you're doing dat nihongo.
Artosis:  "It's like Detroit in there."   Tasteless:  "Lots of shootings and damaged buildings."
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-20 14:21:35
October 20 2013 14:16 GMT
#1347
So, I've been studying french for about 4 and a half years now, it's getting as good as my english, pronunciation wise, which is great because english is my second language and I'm very proficient at it. I though this was impossible, considering that I started learning english when I was a kid and french when I was 22 years old, but here's my conclusion about memrise:

At the beginning memrise is very useful for learning and repeating the pronunciation of many words, but after a while I though it was useless, I already knew most of the words anyways and it became a memory game and not a learning game tool, because the translations and pronunciations sometimes aren't exact, so I decided to quit it.

I changed my method of studying to listening french and reading books, while talking to french people everytime I could, it worked and I speak french now, but then I wanted to have a good accent, which is key to having a good pronunciation. I felt I was stuck with a bad accent and any amount of practice, speaking french that is, didn't seem to work, so I decided to start using memrise again, but now the experience seems different, because I know the answers not because I memorized them but because I just know them, and now I can pay better attention to pronunciation because I'm better at the language, memrise at this advanced point it's still very useful to keep up with words that you don't use that often, comme malgré, c'est tout, j'aime memrise :p

I think that such thing as a muscular brain memory for languages exists, the more you practice it, it doesn't matter the method, the better you will speak it, at some point you even start thinking in that language, after that just keep practicing and you will succeed, the amount of practice must be huge, but it needs to be smart training, using learning tools like memrise or recording your voice while reading/speaking to know where you fail, otherwise you could be stuck with a bad accent, my two cents.

PD: I decided to start learning a 4th language, I decided it should be russian but I don't like it anymore, even though I invested quite some time into it, maybe change to chinese or german? or are those too hard? I speak spanish, english and french, would german be easier?
Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
Yuljan
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
2196 Posts
October 20 2013 14:32 GMT
#1348
On October 20 2013 23:16 Nevermind86 wrote:
So, I've been studying french for about 4 and a half years now, it's getting as good as my english, pronunciation wise, which is great because english is my second language and I'm very proficient at it. I though this was impossible, considering that I started learning english when I was a kid and french when I was 22 years old, but here's my conclusion about memrise:

At the beginning memrise is very useful for learning and repeating the pronunciation of many words, but after a while I though it was useless, I already knew most of the words anyways and it became a memory game and not a learning game tool, because the translations and pronunciations sometimes aren't exact, so I decided to quit it.

I changed my method of studying to listening french and reading books, while talking to french people everytime I could, it worked and I speak french now, but then I wanted to have a good accent, which is key to having a good pronunciation. I felt I was stuck with a bad accent and any amount of practice, speaking french that is, didn't seem to work, so I decided to start using memrise again, but now the experience seems different, because I know the answers not because I memorized them but because I just know them, and now I can pay better attention to pronunciation because I'm better at the language, memrise at this advanced point it's still very useful to keep up with words that you don't use that often, comme malgré, c'est tout, j'aime memrise :p

I think that such thing as a muscular brain memory for languages exists, the more you practice it, it doesn't matter the method, the better you will speak it, at some point you even start thinking in that language, after that just keep practicing and you will succeed, the amount of practice must be huge, but it needs to be smart training, using learning tools like memrise or recording your voice while reading/speaking to know where you fail, otherwise you could be stuck with a bad accent, my two cents.

PD: I decided to start learning a 4th language, I decided it should be russian but I don't like it anymore, even though I invested quite some time into it, maybe change to chinese or german? or are those too hard? I speak spanish, english and french, would german be easier?


German would be a lot easier for you. You will have lots of shared vocabulary and the grammar is somewhat similar.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
July 06 2014 01:32 GMT
#1349
Anyone still using this? I'm TL-Birdie on Memrise, getting back into learning more Korean. It'd be great to have someone noobie like me to practice with with some chat perhaps on Skype or something. It's also good having more friends/people to follow so I can compete with them on the leaderboards for motivation
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
July 06 2014 01:46 GMT
#1350
^Still using this.

I'm "teaching" French using this tool. I've accumulated 1000 french words from this book I've read and there is no way that I could remember all the definitions without this website.

So you are learning Korean, which "lessons" do you recommend?
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
July 06 2014 03:24 GMT
#1351
On July 06 2014 10:46 Xiphos wrote:
^Still using this.

I'm "teaching" French using this tool. I've accumulated 1000 french words from this book I've read and there is no way that I could remember all the definitions without this website.

So you are learning Korean, which "lessons" do you recommend?

Well, first you'd have to learn hangul, if you don't know that already. I actually learned that more from the 9gag comic on it http://9gag.com/gag/3968335/learn-to-read-korean-in-15-minutes but you can use something like any of these http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/?q=hangul for that as well.

After that, I've been using all these:
[image loading]

Basically doing a mix of each of them. I didn't get so far last time though, only around a hundred words or so, but this time I plan on being more consistent. I want to work my way up to doing around fifty words a day, if I have the time and my brain can manage it. I've seen people doing 200 words a day, so it should be feasible.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
July 06 2014 04:32 GMT
#1352
Hey Birdie I followed you back I just started using this site again after a long break so I've got a few words to water.

[image loading]

~1500 words actually D:

I think that the Integrated Korean courses are the best available atm. Really good to begin with and the course creator actually reads feedback in the forum and fixes stuff. Wish you could rate courses :/ Even a lot of the popular ones are filled with mistakes.

All the courses in my list are pretty decent imo if anyone is looking for Korean courses.
Forward
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
July 06 2014 08:06 GMT
#1353
I think you'll beat me this week but I'll do more next week and take you down ;D
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
Pennyblue
Profile Joined June 2014
United Kingdom11 Posts
July 06 2014 11:13 GMT
#1354
Sign me up TL-Pennyblue learning Mandarin! As a supplement to my evening classes :D
Professional Carebear. 'Life is just a combination of Magic and Pasta' - Federico Fellini
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
January 02 2015 03:42 GMT
#1355
There's a month-long competition on memrise now for $1000 to whomever can learn the most new words in the month of January.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
April 04 2015 12:42 GMT
#1356
Groups are now available for the public it seems.

Is there still an interest in a TL thing? I see a couple of guys still going that I'm following.

as a sidenote: The Spanish speak such a horrible Spanish, it baffles the mind.
Here be Dragons
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
April 04 2015 13:19 GMT
#1357
Would love to have an TL-group.

Had a longer break from memrise, but now I use it for korean while studying in Korea. I am still convinced that memrise does the best job in eliminating the most daunting (for me) and necessary task in learning a new language: Learning the language's words.
padiseal2
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria721 Posts
April 04 2015 13:48 GMT
#1358
started using it a few days ago, would join too
Samsungjackets on twitch || 강민수 화이팅
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-04 14:03:03
April 04 2015 14:01 GMT
#1359
GTo7 - are you Tl Pandaz? In any case, I have created a 'TL' group:

http://www.memrise.com/group/2121684/

edit: Even though it looks like the groups are for people learning the same courses. So maybe it would make more sense to have something like TL Spanish, TL Korean, TL whatever
Here be Dragons
mooose
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Japan200 Posts
April 04 2015 14:16 GMT
#1360
http://www.memrise.com/user/iarfmoose/mems/created/

iarfmoose, learning Japanese
www.teamyao.com @TeamYAO
Prev 1 66 67 68 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2998
RotterdaM618
TaKeTV 284
IndyStarCraft 178
BRAT_OK 77
ZombieGrub19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2998
RotterdaM 618
ByuN 367
IndyStarCraft 178
MaxPax 142
BRAT_OK 77
UpATreeSC 57
RuFF_SC2 27
ZombieGrub19
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3424
Shuttle 852
Mini 462
EffOrt 405
Rush 180
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 95
910 75
Zeus 71
Shinee 64
[ Show more ]
HiyA 55
hero 54
Bale 25
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 11
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2809
Counter-Strike
fl0m4871
pashabiceps865
Fnx 702
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2578
Other Games
singsing2169
ceh9691
Beastyqt689
mouzStarbuck189
XaKoH 128
C9.Mang069
QueenE69
Trikslyr60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV193
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 102
• StrangeGG 30
• Reevou 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV137
Other Games
• imaqtpie482
• Shiphtur286
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 21m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 21m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 21m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.