• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:12
CEST 17:12
KST 00:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9468 users

Particle Physics: Higgs Hunt etc. - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
TheToaster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States280 Posts
October 13 2011 06:11 GMT
#21
After just recently writing a research paper on the LHC and its search for the Higgs particle, I can unhesitantly state that this article provides almost no informative or insightful thought even on the most basic of scientific developments. At best, this thread proves comical humor on extremely distant yet still SLIGHTLY relative topics within the field of Physics. The analogies are horribly developed, information on the Higgs particle itself exists as barren scraps not worthy of even mentioning, and the irrelevant formatting/imaging clearly consumed more time to develop than if you were to actually WRITE on the Higgs particle.

I originally clicked on this thread with high hopes and excitement. I left this thread feeling like I just slaughtered a kitten for taking the time to continue reading. While the original posters residence in Sweden grants him SOME immunity from criticism on proper English and syntax, the overwhelming amount of stupidity put into this work is clearly observable with a brief scan of the naked eye.

The only legitimacy I can grant to such an atrocious thread is that its title accurately summarizes the lack of essence to be found on Higgs particle research and actually correlates to what is actually being discussed. But for those of us such as myself who blindly click on anything scientific within TL, this thread becomes entrapment: assuring us that an enlightening wealth of information will be found only to become squandered and a joke.

Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, squeeze down into a job cannon, and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!
caradoc
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada3022 Posts
October 13 2011 06:13 GMT
#22
156
Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea...
Craze
Profile Joined July 2010
United States561 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 06:19:46
October 13 2011 06:18 GMT
#23
Sweet write-up, very funny but it doesn't exactly seem scientific... I voted that we won't find the Higgs, not that I know enough to make an educated guess. But just because humanity seems to get things wrong more than we get things right.
LXR
Profile Joined June 2011
357 Posts
October 13 2011 06:27 GMT
#24
very creative way of explaining the higgs particle! I enjoyed it thoroughly.
+ Show Spoiler +
is "sence" a non-american spelling of "sense" or are there just some typos?
Belisarius
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia6233 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 06:36:44
October 13 2011 06:27 GMT
#25
I'm curious, are you actually a physicist? I've been hoping someone would come along and do this kind of thing for either the Higgs or the neutrino stuff for a while, but I can't really tell since the scientific content is so sparse.

I found the cannon-across-the-atlantic analogy cute and useful, and the description of the graph helpful.

Unfortunately, that's about it. The Starcraft analogies actually made things infinitely less clear than if you'd just said "if the Higgs doesn't appear, we need to rewrite these bits of physics," and for the rest of the content I could pretty much have read the tl;dr, which I would already have known (....if the tl;dr didn't turn out to be totally unrelated, anyway).

You also need to learn to spell "sense." It does not have a c in any permutation of English I'm aware of.

EDIT:
+ Show Spoiler +
and since I'm Australian and follow British conventions, and the guy above me is American and said the same thing, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "sence" is outright wrong no matter where you're from.
LarJarsE
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1378 Posts
October 13 2011 06:42 GMT
#26
Do you know how when you read about starcraft in daily newspapers it often seems to send a message that doesnt feel accurate?

holy run on sentance!
since 98'
Belisarius
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia6233 Posts
October 13 2011 06:43 GMT
#27
On October 13 2011 15:42 LarJarsE wrote:
Show nested quote +
Do you know how when you read about starcraft in daily newspapers it often seems to send a message that doesnt feel accurate?

holy run on sentance!


Just you wait.
sirkyan
Profile Joined July 2010
211 Posts
October 13 2011 07:04 GMT
#28
While the effort is notable the op isn't really saying a lot (vaguely depending on what target group is within the group of those who aren't very familiar with particle physics).

I.e. More details wouldn't hurt. Explain the correlation (or, I believe causation considering you, as in the general "you" including you, assume the hb exists :D) to why according to the idea particles have mass now. How it's tied to a unified explanation of forces and whatnot. If you can find the time that is.

I just want to say that I, personally appreciate the effort for something I wouldn't do myself.
This post isn't meant to criticise you, merely tips on what I believe would make it a more informative post. I see a good first draft with potential.
yarkO
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada810 Posts
October 13 2011 09:12 GMT
#29
On October 13 2011 15:11 TheToaster wrote:
After just recently writing a research paper on the LHC and its search for the Higgs particle, I can unhesitantly state that this article provides almost no informative or insightful thought even on the most basic of scientific developments. At best, this thread proves comical humor on extremely distant yet still SLIGHTLY relative topics within the field of Physics. The analogies are horribly developed, information on the Higgs particle itself exists as barren scraps not worthy of even mentioning, and the irrelevant formatting/imaging clearly consumed more time to develop than if you were to actually WRITE on the Higgs particle.

I originally clicked on this thread with high hopes and excitement. I left this thread feeling like I just slaughtered a kitten for taking the time to continue reading. While the original posters residence in Sweden grants him SOME immunity from criticism on proper English and syntax, the overwhelming amount of stupidity put into this work is clearly observable with a brief scan of the naked eye.

The only legitimacy I can grant to such an atrocious thread is that its title accurately summarizes the lack of essence to be found on Higgs particle research and actually correlates to what is actually being discussed. But for those of us such as myself who blindly click on anything scientific within TL, this thread becomes entrapment: assuring us that an enlightening wealth of information will be found only to become squandered and a joke.




Agreed

It's nice to try and dumb things down, but this doesn't really explain anything, and the analogies just don't really work.

Sorry!
When you are prepared, there's no such thing as pressure.
sheaRZerg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States613 Posts
October 13 2011 09:34 GMT
#30
Good try mate. I understand what you were trying to do...and at least you managed to capture some of the frustration one experiences seeing ones field oversimplified and sensationalized to a fault. As a planetary scientist i cant tell you how painful it is to read through the exoplanet thread that seems to come up every couple of weeks. But you know...I guess its a symptom of spending most of my waking hour reading material produced by others who think about their respective thinking about said topics in painstaking detail.

The truth of the matter is...I dont think I have ever come across such a thing as a truly helpful description of any field of science in layperson terms...it really just doesn't work (I for one can't stand the popular works of Brian Greene for instance, despite the fact that he clearly knows what he is talking about). I think this is just an inexcapable problem, at least for math heavy subjects like modern physics, and it wasn't until I was a good piece of a ways through a physics major that I understood just why those science channel descriptions of theoretical physics are always so unsatisfying.
"Dude, just don't listen to what I say; listen to what I mean." -Sean Plott
SgtCoDFish
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom1520 Posts
October 13 2011 09:35 GMT
#31
On October 13 2011 15:11 TheToaster wrote:
After just recently writing a research paper on the LHC and its search for the Higgs particle, I can unhesitantly state that this article provides almost no informative or insightful thought even on the most basic of scientific developments. At best, this thread proves comical humor on extremely distant yet still SLIGHTLY relative topics within the field of Physics. The analogies are horribly developed, information on the Higgs particle itself exists as barren scraps not worthy of even mentioning, and the irrelevant formatting/imaging clearly consumed more time to develop than if you were to actually WRITE on the Higgs particle.


Can you at least verify if the statement that we'll "know in a year" if the Higgs exists or not is true?

Are there any sites/articles you can recommend to us to find out more on the topic?
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 13 2011 09:51 GMT
#32
ok, thanks for feedback.
Surprised that there has been no flaming yet! keep the manners up guys!

I perfectly well understand the issues many of you have with the physics + meme concept, and I agree that there is too little physics content. I have added in a lot more hard physics in the text now, but in spoilers to not create a wall of text. I still want to maintain that very loose forum (even 4chan) style to it, otherwise, as mentioned, you can go to wikipedia.

what you think now?

And the sence-thing was embarrassing. :o
Deja Thoris
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
South Africa646 Posts
October 13 2011 09:52 GMT
#33
On October 13 2011 15:42 LarJarsE wrote:
Show nested quote +
Do you know how when you read about starcraft in daily newspapers it often seems to send a message that doesnt feel accurate?

holy run on sentance!


Nice spelling there!

So the short version of this is that if we get the weight then current theories are proved correct. If we don't get it then the boffins have to go back and rewrite science?
mikodrak
Profile Joined February 2009
Czech Republic78 Posts
October 13 2011 10:14 GMT
#34
On October 13 2011 15:11 TheToaster wrote:
After just recently writing a research paper on the LHC and its search for the Higgs particle, I can unhesitantly state that this article provides almost no informative or insightful thought even on the most basic of scientific developments. At best, this thread proves comical humor on extremely distant yet still SLIGHTLY relative topics within the field of Physics. The analogies are horribly developed, information on the Higgs particle itself exists as barren scraps not worthy of even mentioning, and the irrelevant formatting/imaging clearly consumed more time to develop than if you were to actually WRITE on the Higgs particle.

I originally clicked on this thread with high hopes and excitement. I left this thread feeling like I just slaughtered a kitten for taking the time to continue reading. While the original posters residence in Sweden grants him SOME immunity from criticism on proper English and syntax, the overwhelming amount of stupidity put into this work is clearly observable with a brief scan of the naked eye.

The only legitimacy I can grant to such an atrocious thread is that its title accurately summarizes the lack of essence to be found on Higgs particle research and actually correlates to what is actually being discussed. But for those of us such as myself who blindly click on anything scientific within TL, this thread becomes entrapment: assuring us that an enlightening wealth of information will be found only to become squandered and a joke.



.. Sheldon Cooper.. ?
Rawrsi
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia55 Posts
October 13 2011 10:25 GMT
#35
So fitting that I am wearing my Torso friendly hadron collider shirt. Anything physics related usually gets me interested.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 13 2011 10:28 GMT
#36
Ok, added an general introduction to particle physics as well that I wrote for my thesis. Its quite long, and has to be downloaded in .pdf format, but maybe someone will enjoy it.

On October 13 2011 15:11 TheToaster wrote:
After just recently writing a research paper on the LHC and its search for the Higgs particle, I can unhesitantly state that this article provides almost no informative or insightful thought even on the most basic of scientific developments. At best, this thread proves comical humor on extremely distant yet still SLIGHTLY relative topics within the field of Physics. The analogies are horribly developed, information on the Higgs particle itself exists as barren scraps not worthy of even mentioning, and the irrelevant formatting/imaging clearly consumed more time to develop than if you were to actually WRITE on the Higgs particle.

I originally clicked on this thread with high hopes and excitement. I left this thread feeling like I just slaughtered a kitten for taking the time to continue reading. While the original posters residence in Sweden grants him SOME immunity from criticism on proper English and syntax, the overwhelming amount of stupidity put into this work is clearly observable with a brief scan of the naked eye.

The only legitimacy I can grant to such an atrocious thread is that its title accurately summarizes the lack of essence to be found on Higgs particle research and actually correlates to what is actually being discussed. But for those of us such as myself who blindly click on anything scientific within TL, this thread becomes entrapment: assuring us that an enlightening wealth of information will be found only to become squandered and a joke.


ahaha, well played.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 13 2011 10:35 GMT
#37
On October 13 2011 14:38 Faerie wrote:
I voted no Higgs. God damn freelodaing particle physiscist asking us to build huge accelerators for them on a hunch. Inventing a particle so your reasearch avoids a dead end and trusting to the rest of the stupid community to just suck it up. "Oh yes there is this ghost particle you see....I can haz 10 billion euros to build big accelerator plx.....kk?" We want every penny back Cascade, you hear us? Every penny!

Also, good writeup.

ohai!
we refer to it as creative fund raising.

I guess they will at some point realize that there is no "higgs-bomb" coming out from particle physics anytime soon and start cutting funds. :o Atm Im seeing it as sucking out as much money as we can, then run!!
rubio91
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy111 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 10:37:45
October 13 2011 10:35 GMT
#38
I think you could explain better the CL graph, it is the most interesting thing o the article (and the only thing that lets people understand how is made physical research)
(ノ°益°)ノ彡┻━┻
Kira__
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2672 Posts
October 13 2011 10:52 GMT
#39
nice interesting read, thanks!
The truth is, Yagami-kun, I suspect that you may in fact be Kira.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 13 2011 10:54 GMT
#40
On October 13 2011 19:35 rubio91 wrote:
I think you could explain better the CL graph, it is the most interesting thing o the article (and the only thing that lets people understand how is made physical research)


Agree, edited. Like that better?
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
Codebar 36
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1057
Mini 918
Soma 761
actioN 462
Rush 384
Light 332
Horang2 316
Stork 276
BeSt 266
Larva 266
[ Show more ]
Snow 236
ggaemo 236
hero 226
Killer 111
firebathero 111
Barracks 110
Aegong 102
Sea.KH 85
Zeus 79
Dewaltoss 68
Shine 61
JYJ 48
soO 43
Sexy 37
Sharp 34
Shinee 32
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
zelot 17
Rock 17
sorry 13
Trap 13
Terrorterran 13
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
Gorgc7258
qojqva1794
Dendi674
420jenkins165
Counter-Strike
Fnx 779
x6flipin533
edward36
fl0m0
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4893
Khaldor571
Other Games
gofns46850
singsing1401
B2W.Neo872
byalli522
Lowko373
Mlord258
DeMusliM224
Livibee186
KnowMe180
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS115
Trikslyr27
Chillindude20
Railgan15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV234
WardiTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH130
• StrangeGG 67
• mYiSmile117
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2366
• Jankos1805
• TFBlade618
Other Games
• Shiphtur58
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 48m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 48m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.