• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:19
CEST 03:19
KST 10:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7179 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 183

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 181 182 183 184 185 244 Next
Cephalopadre
Profile Joined April 2012
United States42 Posts
July 08 2012 22:24 GMT
#3641
On July 09 2012 03:37 slytown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 08 2012 08:52 Cephalopadre wrote:
Hey, anyone here own a Audio Technica ATH-ES10? I'm gathering as much info online before I spend $410 on Amazon. These cans are a bass heavy music focused portable, rather than for monitoring like with the ATH-M50.

[image loading]

[image loading]


Below is the set within the Head-Fi.org "Headphone Buying Guide" under "Upper Mid-Range Headphones: $300-$500"

1 = No amp required to get full utility
B = Bass heavy

(1-B) Audio Technica ATH-ES10, $380-$430. Warm balanced sound overall with decent isolation. Strong hard hitting bass, neutral mids, smooth sparkling highs.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Here is an article on them from Headfonia
http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-es10/

Here is a video showing them being displaying at a Toyko trade show.
+ Show Spoiler +


Just wondering if any ES10 owners who read this could share their thoughts, thank you!


Careful trying to buy "bass heavy" headphones. It's a marketing gimmick for losers who put subwoofers in their cars and listen to rap music that has no musicality. Hearing only a bass drum is not pleasant. I like my hip hop and trip hop, but people wanting to up their sound clearly are in the dark when submitting to the gimmick.

Good bass is much better defined as tight and not bloated. You want the headphone to never cloud what the producer intended for you to hear, even though not all masters tracks sound good. Color in headphones (and in production) needs to be subtle. Many claim closed headphones are better for low-end specific recordings but I can't say I've ever picked a closed headphone over a solid open headphone performer. Sound stage, detail, and transparency are much better listening draws than bass.

I have to say the best bass I ever heard was on the Hifiman HE-6; It's an open planar magnetic headphone that had a large soundstage and amazing detail. Blew me away.

[image loading]


Thanks for your input. I'm just going to buy a Sennheiser HD 449 for on-the-go use for now, until I can afford some custom IEMS or another sure-fire closed set of cans.
Real skill comes without effort
zerino
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark253 Posts
July 09 2012 08:23 GMT
#3642
i just bought akg k550 headphones, cant wait till they get here!!

anyone got any experience with these headphones?
Culexius
Profile Joined July 2012
Denmark2 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 09:46:44
July 09 2012 09:31 GMT
#3643
I use siberia v2 and i have a giant problem with my mic it just suddenly stopped working, i checked EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! and every fix i could possible find but my mic just won't work... i use the 5- USB PnP sound device for it and the extension cord.... so.. when i tell it i want to listen to my mic it makes a little white noice but still no input sound through the mic... tried everything again 3 billion times and then i plugged the top mic jack stick (directly from the headset connected to the extention cord) out and plugged another headset mic in there instead and it works fine so i kind of ruled out software and settings errors.. the problem is that i did not do anything to my mic, one morning, after a night of gaming it just wouldn't work..
so now i have to sit with a second headset around my neck to use voice chat :_( please help anyone someone HEEEEEELP!!!!!
GAAARRRGH!!!! MY MIC WON'T WORK D8<
NeoxInfinite
Profile Joined July 2012
United Kingdom13 Posts
July 09 2012 14:53 GMT
#3644
What are good cheap effective ear muffs?
Cephalopadre
Profile Joined April 2012
United States42 Posts
July 09 2012 17:24 GMT
#3645
On July 09 2012 03:37 slytown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 08 2012 08:52 Cephalopadre wrote:
Hey, anyone here own a Audio Technica ATH-ES10? I'm gathering as much info online before I spend $410 on Amazon. These cans are a bass heavy music focused portable, rather than for monitoring like with the ATH-M50.

[image loading]

[image loading]


Below is the set within the Head-Fi.org "Headphone Buying Guide" under "Upper Mid-Range Headphones: $300-$500"

1 = No amp required to get full utility
B = Bass heavy

(1-B) Audio Technica ATH-ES10, $380-$430. Warm balanced sound overall with decent isolation. Strong hard hitting bass, neutral mids, smooth sparkling highs.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Here is an article on them from Headfonia
http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-es10/

Here is a video showing them being displaying at a Toyko trade show.
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooyAs--xsKQ


Just wondering if any ES10 owners who read this could share their thoughts, thank you!


Careful trying to buy "bass heavy" headphones. It's a marketing gimmick for losers who put subwoofers in their cars and listen to rap music that has no musicality. Hearing only a bass drum is not pleasant. I like my hip hop and trip hop, but people wanting to up their sound clearly are in the dark when submitting to the gimmick.

Good bass is much better defined as tight and not bloated. You want the headphone to never cloud what the producer intended for you to hear, even though not all masters tracks sound good. Color in headphones (and in production) needs to be subtle. Many claim closed headphones are better for low-end specific recordings but I can't say I've ever picked a closed headphone over a solid open headphone performer. Sound stage, detail, and transparency are much better listening draws than bass.

I have to say the best bass I ever heard was on the Hifiman HE-6; It's an open planar magnetic headphone that had a large soundstage and amazing detail. Blew me away.

[image loading]


I mean to get a pair of Grado 225i or HD 559 for an open headphone for home-use. I have to admit I've never tried an open headphone, but I believe I want to listen to Zelda OSTs with clarity and breadth.
Real skill comes without effort
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
July 10 2012 03:36 GMT
#3646
On July 10 2012 02:24 Cephalopadre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2012 03:37 slytown wrote:
On July 08 2012 08:52 Cephalopadre wrote:
Hey, anyone here own a Audio Technica ATH-ES10? I'm gathering as much info online before I spend $410 on Amazon. These cans are a bass heavy music focused portable, rather than for monitoring like with the ATH-M50.

[image loading]

[image loading]


Below is the set within the Head-Fi.org "Headphone Buying Guide" under "Upper Mid-Range Headphones: $300-$500"

1 = No amp required to get full utility
B = Bass heavy

(1-B) Audio Technica ATH-ES10, $380-$430. Warm balanced sound overall with decent isolation. Strong hard hitting bass, neutral mids, smooth sparkling highs.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Here is an article on them from Headfonia
http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-es10/

Here is a video showing them being displaying at a Toyko trade show.
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooyAs--xsKQ


Just wondering if any ES10 owners who read this could share their thoughts, thank you!


Careful trying to buy "bass heavy" headphones. It's a marketing gimmick for losers who put subwoofers in their cars and listen to rap music that has no musicality. Hearing only a bass drum is not pleasant. I like my hip hop and trip hop, but people wanting to up their sound clearly are in the dark when submitting to the gimmick.

Good bass is much better defined as tight and not bloated. You want the headphone to never cloud what the producer intended for you to hear, even though not all masters tracks sound good. Color in headphones (and in production) needs to be subtle. Many claim closed headphones are better for low-end specific recordings but I can't say I've ever picked a closed headphone over a solid open headphone performer. Sound stage, detail, and transparency are much better listening draws than bass.

I have to say the best bass I ever heard was on the Hifiman HE-6; It's an open planar magnetic headphone that had a large soundstage and amazing detail. Blew me away.

[image loading]


I mean to get a pair of Grado 225i or HD 559 for an open headphone for home-use. I have to admit I've never tried an open headphone, but I believe I want to listen to Zelda OSTs with clarity and breadth.


I wouldn't say that's true all the time. Especially considering the fact that there are several R-10 models toted as bass heavy yet they are considered some of the best headphones made of all time.

The Grado SR225i are a headphone that applies to a certain genre. In that price range I would rather just get the HD598 from Sennheiser.

Personally I believe closed headphones allow for better bass due to their closed nature. The bass I heard from the LCD-2/3 on a short audition was incredibly amazing compared to the bass I heard from Hifimans and other top tier headphones such as the HD800.
MattBarry
Profile Joined March 2011
United States4006 Posts
July 10 2012 06:14 GMT
#3647
My Grado Sr-80i are starting to get buzzing when I try to listen to music or are staticky when the wire moves. Am I listening to music too loud? Bad headphones? I really don't want to damage my next pair. I try to take care of them but sometimes you just accidentally yank the wire
Platinum Support GOD
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 06:25:52
July 10 2012 06:18 GMT
#3648
On July 09 2012 17:23 zerino wrote:
i just bought akg k550 headphones, cant wait till they get here!!

anyone got any experience with these headphones?

plush feel and neutral sound. Bass is tight and not thumpy at all compared to other cheaper closed cans.

On July 10 2012 15:14 MattBarry wrote:
My Grado Sr-80i are starting to get buzzing when I try to listen to music or are staticky when the wire moves. Am I listening to music too loud? Bad headphones? I really don't want to damage my next pair. I try to take care of them but sometimes you just accidentally yank the wire


are they under warranty? if not, you may want to try replacing the cord yourself.
© Current year.
MattBarry
Profile Joined March 2011
United States4006 Posts
July 10 2012 07:17 GMT
#3649
On July 10 2012 15:18 CorsairHero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2012 17:23 zerino wrote:
i just bought akg k550 headphones, cant wait till they get here!!

anyone got any experience with these headphones?

plush feel and neutral sound. Bass is tight and not thumpy at all compared to other cheaper closed cans.

Show nested quote +
On July 10 2012 15:14 MattBarry wrote:
My Grado Sr-80i are starting to get buzzing when I try to listen to music or are staticky when the wire moves. Am I listening to music too loud? Bad headphones? I really don't want to damage my next pair. I try to take care of them but sometimes you just accidentally yank the wire


are they under warranty? if not, you may want to try replacing the cord yourself.

I'm not sure, I sure hope they are
Platinum Support GOD
Alethios
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
New Zealand2765 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 22:22:51
July 10 2012 22:16 GMT
#3650
My ATH-M50s just arrived. Bought them on the advice of this thread. Didn't have all that much to spend, but i'm loving them so far. Dub_Fx sounds like an entirely different artist with these babies.

My only criticism is that they sit much heavier than I was expecting. I know I was warned, but I wasn't entirely prepared for the massive difference between a $30 logitech pair and these. EDIT: That said, i'm getting used to it already.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
NeoxInfinite
Profile Joined July 2012
United Kingdom13 Posts
July 10 2012 22:32 GMT
#3651
On July 09 2012 23:53 NeoxInfinite wrote:
What are good cheap effective ear muffs?


Anyone?
Cephalopadre
Profile Joined April 2012
United States42 Posts
July 10 2012 22:38 GMT
#3652
On July 11 2012 07:32 NeoxInfinite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2012 23:53 NeoxInfinite wrote:
What are good cheap effective ear muffs?


Anyone?


I don't know how effective these are, but "ear muffs" are cheap. Honestly I had no idea what you and another UK user were talking about when they asked for "ear muff" advice in this thread. Why do you need advice on things under $25? I did a basic search below.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97010-Ultimate-10-Hearing-Protector/dp/B000PW98WO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1341959715&sr=1-1&keywords=ear muffs

This is $20 and qualifies for free s/h with five dollars more of merchandise. Hopefully you can protect your hearing with these.
Real skill comes without effort
cellblock
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden206 Posts
July 10 2012 23:03 GMT
#3653
[image loading]
Aquired the Sennheiser HD598 a week ago after my Siberia v2 broke. These are open-ears which means the sound can be heard from people around you. They also dont heaten up ur ears. I can easily wear these for 12 hours and I dont feel any pain at all. I´ve set up these as 7.1 surround with my motherboard Realtek soundcard (intergrated). I would guess the soundquality would be even better with a proper soundcard, but they still sound very good. These are allround headphones which can be used for gaming or just chilling.

Comfort 10/10. Sound 8/10 (compared to siberia v2 and other low end shit)

Costs twice as much as Siberia v2 though, but its worth it since they wont randomly break and has much more quality overall.
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
July 10 2012 23:07 GMT
#3654
Just got my Panasonic RP-HTF600-S due to the recommendations from Head-fi. Pretty cheap, but great sound qual for me. ^_^ Very enjoyable. Love it already. I think it's a decent first pair of headphones.
darkness overpowering
RespectedPuddle
Profile Joined July 2011
80 Posts
July 10 2012 23:58 GMT
#3655
What is the best pair of headphones for around 300 bucks? I'm thinking about the Bose Noise cancelling ones os Beats by Dre. Anyone have opinions on these/ reccomendations?
Cephalopadre
Profile Joined April 2012
United States42 Posts
July 11 2012 00:01 GMT
#3656
On July 11 2012 08:58 RespectedPuddle wrote:
What is the best pair of headphones for around 300 bucks? I'm thinking about the Bose Noise cancelling ones os Beats by Dre. Anyone have opinions on these/ reccomendations?


I've heard to avoid both "Beats Audio by Dr. Dre" and Bose headphones, if you're serious about $150-$300 headphones.
Real skill comes without effort
NeoxInfinite
Profile Joined July 2012
United Kingdom13 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 00:31:31
July 11 2012 00:27 GMT
#3657
Has anyone tried these?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-FX34-BE-Marshmallow-Headphones-Black/dp/B0019CAVY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341966051&sr=1-1

There are many mixed reviews and they are pretty cheap

Does anyone know how good the isolation is or whether they last long if you use them like hours daily?

There are other more slight expensive ones... But I want to know how durable the cheap ones are and how effective they are
Abortion0
Profile Joined July 2012
United States26 Posts
July 11 2012 00:40 GMT
#3658
Loving my Sennheiser PC360s
RespectedPuddle
Profile Joined July 2011
80 Posts
July 11 2012 00:54 GMT
#3659
why do people say to avoid beats by dre and bose? I have bose desktop speakers and i love em
Ecailles
Profile Joined June 2012
23 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 01:02:18
July 11 2012 00:54 GMT
#3660
On July 09 2012 23:53 NeoxInfinite wrote:
What are good cheap effective ear muffs?


I'm looking for earmuffs but as well but not necessarily cheap ones.

Like I was saying in my earlier post

On July 07 2012 02:04 Ecailles wrote:
I know these are not really headphones, or at least I dont think they are because TLO had ear buds in under them but can anyone tell me what are/where I can get sound proof ear muffs like they ones they use in tourneys? TLO's at homestory cup were pretty sick


does anyone happen to know what ones TLO uses by chance?
Prev 1 181 182 183 184 185 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings65
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 152
RuFF_SC2 60
ProTech31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15801
Rain 2261
Artosis 628
Bale 18
League of Legends
Doublelift3864
Counter-Strike
taco 315
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox663
Mew2King158
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor990
Other Games
summit1g9725
Day[9].tv663
JimRising 551
PiGStarcraft324
C9.Mang0252
ArmadaUGS75
ViBE58
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV200
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream94
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 148
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP59
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv663
• Scarra569
• Shiphtur189
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 41m
OSC
20h 41m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.