• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:57
CEST 12:57
KST 19:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11317 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 159

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 157 158 159 160 161 244 Next
BlazingSonic
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany51 Posts
April 15 2012 01:04 GMT
#3161
On April 15 2012 02:08 KayoDot wrote:
Well, I think the Sennheiser HD 650 fits your description very well, although it is quite pricey right now (there used to be some good deals on it around $300). Compared to the HD 598, there is much more bass, it is one of the few open headphones with great, authoritative bass response.

The Beyerdynamic DT 990 is worth a shot too as a less expensive alternative (it's only $172 on amazon right now!), as I think it has more bass than the DT 880 and is more open sounding, but some say that the treble on them can be overbearing. The DT 990 is designed to have a more "fun" sound than the neutral, analytical 880, and I think would generally be preferred for genres such as rock.


thank you for the response. I´ll definately have a look a the sennheiser ones. Although I don´t think I´m gonna buy them for 400 $, maybe I´ll wait until I saw a good offer. When you are saying that they are one of the few open headphones with great bass, does that mean that closed ones or headphones of a different kind have better bass? Which ones would you recommend then, in my price range (350$ max)?

I´ll also look at the beyerdynamics, although I don´t really like it when there is too much treble and bite too much. The highs should be more smooth and natural sounding, not too aggressive.
Valashu
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands561 Posts
April 15 2012 01:07 GMT
#3162
Bought a sennheiser 650 and still looking for a proper DAC/AMP
The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid exercising his superior skill.
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
April 15 2012 01:41 GMT
#3163
On April 15 2012 10:04 BlazingSonic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2012 02:08 KayoDot wrote:
Well, I think the Sennheiser HD 650 fits your description very well, although it is quite pricey right now (there used to be some good deals on it around $300). Compared to the HD 598, there is much more bass, it is one of the few open headphones with great, authoritative bass response.

The Beyerdynamic DT 990 is worth a shot too as a less expensive alternative (it's only $172 on amazon right now!), as I think it has more bass than the DT 880 and is more open sounding, but some say that the treble on them can be overbearing. The DT 990 is designed to have a more "fun" sound than the neutral, analytical 880, and I think would generally be preferred for genres such as rock.


thank you for the response. I´ll definately have a look a the sennheiser ones. Although I don´t think I´m gonna buy them for 400 $, maybe I´ll wait until I saw a good offer. When you are saying that they are one of the few open headphones with great bass, does that mean that closed ones or headphones of a different kind have better bass? Which ones would you recommend then, in my price range (350$ max)?

I´ll also look at the beyerdynamics, although I don´t really like it when there is too much treble and bite too much. The highs should be more smooth and natural sounding, not too aggressive.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
take your pick.
© Current year.
KayoDot
Profile Joined October 2011
33 Posts
April 15 2012 05:25 GMT
#3164
Closed headphones generally have better bass than open headphones, but have less soundstage, which is that quality that makes the sound seem like it is coming from different directions and that each sound has its own place in space. For a budget of $350 I would recommend the Denon d2000, which have excellent bass and an above average soundstage for a closed headphone.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon, a window, and outside Stars and the moon.
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-15 05:45:28
April 15 2012 05:43 GMT
#3165
Holy Shit. I just built a new computer which has a much better sound chip than my old one. I've stopped my 3 day "24" binge (watched 26 episodes in 3 days...), and I'm just listening to music. I now know true happiness.
Edit: This was meant to show how worth $120 bucks a good pair of phones are.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
luckylefty
Profile Joined November 2010
United States272 Posts
April 15 2012 12:33 GMT
#3166
On April 15 2012 14:25 KayoDot wrote:
Closed headphones generally have better bass than open headphones, but have less soundstage, which is that quality that makes the sound seem like it is coming from different directions and that each sound has its own place in space. For a budget of $350 I would recommend the Denon d2000, which have excellent bass and an above average soundstage for a closed headphone.


You can find some great near new d2000's for cheaper. Excellent headphones, it was a great move up from my HD555's. :D
Aphasie
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway474 Posts
April 15 2012 13:35 GMT
#3167
Hey, my on the go earphones have broken again (Sennheisser CX-300, seeing how much cheaper they are on the net as compared to norwegian stores really lit a fire #%!%$!) and the warranty is void. I've been pleased with them but im thinking of upgrading. I know audiophiles sees earphones/IEMs as a consumer product but i cant really afford to spend big amounts ($200+) on something whose cord will break a year from now (as it always does). But both Shure SE315 and SE425 caught my eye, because you can change the cord.

Does anybody have any experience with these two models? And the difference in quality in upgrading to SE425. Unfortunately the store im likely to buy from only has SE425 as a test model (though they didnt have any replacement earbuds, so im going back on wednesday to test them). So i dont really get to test them against each other.

The prices for SE315 is ~$240 and ~$345 for SE425 (which is a $70 discount from their list price) in their store. It's expensive, i know. But buying on the web is kinda out of the question as i will get slapped with a 25% tax (again, norway - expensive) and end up with prices that are kinda the same but i have no retailer to go to (I think theres a 5 year warranty for these kind of products in norway). And from what i understand, the store im buying from will replace broken cords for free (as compared to $40 on the net).

So basically, does anybody have experience with these? Or have suggestions to earphones/IEMs that has longevity
comparable to these. I have to admit the se425's are a bit pricey, but i think i can manage it.

Peace out
victoryimminent
Profile Joined October 2011
20 Posts
April 15 2012 14:34 GMT
#3168
On April 15 2012 10:07 Valashu wrote:
Bought a sennheiser 650 and still looking for a proper DAC/AMP


I bought a Little Dot mkiii amp and a HRT Music Streamer II DAC for my dad's Sennheiser HD600. The sound is pretty incredible and my father is quite happy with them.
AKnopf
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Germany259 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-15 14:44:02
April 15 2012 14:43 GMT
#3169
I use the Koss Porta Pro

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


A friend recommended them to me a few years ago. Since them i solely use them and also recommended them to other friends. I see a lot of them being worn on the streets.

As far as I know they are the best for below 100€.
The world - its a funny place
Aphasie
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway474 Posts
April 15 2012 14:48 GMT
#3170
Im sorry but those are complete garbage. The only thing good about them is the unlimited warranty.

I cant even count the times some dickwad has played his portapros at max volum on the bus. You basically hear everything theyre hearing, no noise reduction - no nothing. Theres probably hundreds of headsets thats better than those under €100
MoonfireSpam
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1153 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 11:11:45
April 16 2012 11:10 GMT
#3171
On April 15 2012 22:35 Aphasie wrote:
Hey, my on the go earphones have broken again (Sennheisser CX-300, seeing how much cheaper they are on the net as compared to norwegian stores really lit a fire #%!%$!) and the warranty is void. I've been pleased with them but im thinking of upgrading. I know audiophiles sees earphones/IEMs as a consumer product but i cant really afford to spend big amounts ($200+) on something whose cord will break a year from now (as it always does). But both Shure SE315 and SE425 caught my eye, because you can change the cord.

Does anybody have any experience with these two models? And the difference in quality in upgrading to SE425. Unfortunately the store im likely to buy from only has SE425 as a test model (though they didnt have any replacement earbuds, so im going back on wednesday to test them). So i dont really get to test them against each other.

The prices for SE315 is ~$240 and ~$345 for SE425 (which is a $70 discount from their list price) in their store. It's expensive, i know. But buying on the web is kinda out of the question as i will get slapped with a 25% tax (again, norway - expensive) and end up with prices that are kinda the same but i have no retailer to go to (I think theres a 5 year warranty for these kind of products in norway). And from what i understand, the store im buying from will replace broken cords for free (as compared to $40 on the net).

So basically, does anybody have experience with these? Or have suggestions to earphones/IEMs that has longevity
comparable to these. I have to admit the se425's are a bit pricey, but i think i can manage it.

Peace out

Might want to consider the SE215 if you're looking for value. They are almost half the price of the SE315s (£77.50 vs £130) and seem to get pretty good reviews on Head Fi. Pretty much buying for the same reasons - looking for good isolation that I can bring on a long commute with replaceable bits.

At least I just ordered a pair to replace broken Shure 210s. The drivers still work fine after 4 years and almost daily use. The rubber casing unfortunately disintergrated over time. Cable is starting to go as well, but after 4 years I think thats fairly reasonable.
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
April 16 2012 14:23 GMT
#3172
Well my previous post in this thread got ignored. I don't mind... but tell me bros. How loud do you listen to music with your headphones. How loud can you listen without damaging your ears? I'd be quite interested to hear your thoguhts on this one.
maru lover forever
Weiman
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands91 Posts
April 16 2012 14:33 GMT
#3173
Loudness is pretty subjective so it's tough to explain. I never listen loud enough to drown out everything else on my HD650's or UE 700's. Every time I go to a place like a club or whatever I get dissapointed and highly annoyed how loud things are.
iMYoonA
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia462 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 15:29:40
April 16 2012 15:29 GMT
#3174
On April 16 2012 23:23 Incognoto wrote:
Well my previous post in this thread got ignored. I don't mind... but tell me bros. How loud do you listen to music with your headphones. How loud can you listen without damaging your ears? I'd be quite interested to hear your thoguhts on this one.


I try to listen loudly enough so I think I'm hearing all the details. And thats it. I also find clubs/concerts too loud.
*yoona | taeyeon | jiyeon | na eun | cho rong | IU | nana | suzy | yejin*
W0L0L0
Profile Joined January 2012
France23 Posts
April 16 2012 15:41 GMT
#3175
Usin the Corsair vengeance 1500
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I would definetely recomand it. Good isolation, very good microphone, confortable (imo), seems pretty solid (aluminium).
Dolby 7.1, sound card integrated with an algorythm converting dolby 5.1 into 7.1. It actually works amazingly good
Pretty cheap also (70/80 € now, it was 150€ when it came out).

So i highly recomand it to you if you seek a good headset, yet under 100€.
Bonus : It's quit a sexy headset.
LoLAdriankat
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4307 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-17 02:05:28
April 17 2012 02:01 GMT
#3176
An ASUS Xonar DG and a Superlux HD668B are shipping to my house tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm on a budget so these were the best I could get. I actually have an M-Box 2 Pro which I use for music and music production. Now I'm just curious which is better for gaming, the Xonar DG or M-Box 2. I don't know jackshit about sound cards so ya. :S
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
April 19 2012 04:22 GMT
#3177
Surprisingly enough, the reason that you may have to listen to IEM's at louder volumes at full potential is because they underperform at lower volumes. I am not sure of the reason why, but it is true. That is why in high end Customs (700+) you always see a praise of the linearity of the volume control.
hyunGGe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States108 Posts
April 19 2012 05:38 GMT
#3178
just got ath m50s pretty nice cans
Jugem-Jugem Shit-Tossing The Life Of Shin-chan's Two-Day-Old Underwear Balmung Fezalion Isaac Schneider 1/3True Love 2/3 Hangnail Anxiety Betrayal Knows My Name Or Does It Really Ignore Calls Squid Dogfish Halibut Trout-Cod Dogfish This Is a Different Dog
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
April 19 2012 05:49 GMT
#3179
On April 15 2012 23:43 AKnopf wrote:
I use the Koss Porta Pro

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


A friend recommended them to me a few years ago. Since them i solely use them and also recommended them to other friends. I see a lot of them being worn on the streets.

As far as I know they are the best for below 100€.

I saw them for under $50 in Amazon, so that would be pretty good deal then?
Aphasie
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway474 Posts
April 19 2012 12:23 GMT
#3180
On April 19 2012 14:49 nosliw wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2012 23:43 AKnopf wrote:
I use the Koss Porta Pro

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


A friend recommended them to me a few years ago. Since them i solely use them and also recommended them to other friends. I see a lot of them being worn on the streets.

As far as I know they are the best for below 100€.

I saw them for under $50 in Amazon, so that would be pretty good deal then?


No, not really. The usual pricing for Porta Pros are ~50. Even in Norway, which is pretty damn expensive, you'll never see them over $50. If you're considering buying them (which i dont recommend at all) you should buy two pairs (or hope you can get a replacement without sending back the "broken" ones). My friend does this, he has gone through nine sets since August last year. But he always has a spare pair and sends back the broken pair (lifetime warranty) so he always has headphones available. I would recommend buying something different, but if you're not willing to spend much, buy two pairs so you always have one replacement.
Prev 1 157 158 159 160 161 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko180
ProTech133
SHIN 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1153
Mind 1017
Shuttle 787
Bisu 774
Larva 643
Mini 163
EffOrt 129
Soma 119
Leta 109
Last 98
[ Show more ]
Zeus 91
Hyun 81
Pusan 63
ZerO 52
Sexy 52
PianO 48
Hm[arnc] 43
Trap 36
Killer 33
sorry 32
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 28
Aegong 19
yabsab 15
hero 13
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe571
XaKoH 384
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1389
Other Games
gofns40495
singsing2152
crisheroes337
OGKoka 184
Mew2King126
B2W.Neo70
ArmadaUGS51
Livibee19
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick560
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream182
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 66
• LUISG 37
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
• Gemini_19 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8147
League of Legends
• Jankos1348
• Stunt1033
Upcoming Events
Online Event
3m
FEL
5h 3m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 3m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 3m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 3m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.