• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:10
CEST 10:10
KST 17:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7997 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 140

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 138 139 140 141 142 244 Next
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 21 2012 16:43 GMT
#2781
On January 21 2012 12:55 seiferoth10 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2012 12:29 Mordanis wrote:
On January 21 2012 09:47 seiferoth10 wrote:
On January 21 2012 09:33 Mordanis wrote:
I'm looking to pick up some headphones for about $100 (US), and I'm torn between Sennheiser HD 448 and Grado SR 60i. The main thing is that I've never really like headphones that sit on my ears and I've never used open back headphones. I have never had decent headphones though so I'm not sure if that will make any difference in the feel of supra-aural cans. Could someone please advise me? Thanks a lot, I love you all <3333333333333

First thing's first, those Grados are supraaural, so you don't want them.

Anyway, here's some terminology that you're asking about:
Open [backed]- The back of the headphones are open, so sound escapes. Isolation is pretty bad. Typically soundstage is much wider, mids usually sparkle more as opposed to closed*.
Closed [backed]- The back is closed, sound is kept in the ear cup. Isolation is pretty good. Typically soundstage is smaller, bass and treble come forward (mids suffer) compared to open*.
Supraaural- Earpads are smaller in circumference and sit on top of ears. A lot of potential for discomfort, especially for long periods of use.
Circumaural- Earpads are larger in circumference and sit on the side of your head, encasing your ear inside. Much more comfortable, but your ears will get hot and bothered eventually.

*Obviously the sound signature comments are generalizations, and of course there are exceptions.

And of course, I can make a general recommendation of the $100 allstars, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. They are the first cans you should look at if you're around the $100 range.


Could you then comment on my plan? I'm thinking of getting an upgrade to probably the ATH AD700 you mentioned (the site I was looking at called it a step up in price, so I hadn't even looked at them ), and then using my current cans, HD 202, as a pair for running early in the morning when earbuds slip out and my ears get cold. Would that ruin them? Thanks a lot again !


I don't like that idea tbh. Exercise with circumaural, closed headphones = sweat, and a lot of it. That in combination with leatherette pads = a horrible situation. Leatherette pads crack eventually, and I think this would only accelerate that process.

I use HD650's (circumaural) and I don't sweat at all. I assume I would if I the pads were leather though.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Blackhawk13
Profile Joined April 2010
United States442 Posts
January 21 2012 17:12 GMT
#2782
For anyone looking for some decent closed headphones- Senn HD 280 Pro's are $60 on newegg for today only. Don't have a pair of them but I've heard good things and they're typically around $100, so quite a good deal at just $60.
tuho12345
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
4482 Posts
January 21 2012 17:18 GMT
#2783
On January 20 2012 05:21 Weson wrote:
[image loading]

Got them a few days ago. I got a pair from some swedish internet retailer but the box had been opened and the serial numbers had been removed so i returned them and went and bought them from a physical store instead.

I'm doing some burn in at the moment and i've noticed some slight changes in the sound. First it sounded really edgey and there were no bass, at all. I've read that some people said that they sound like crap when you first get them and that they will require 300hr to burn in before they sound as they should. Now after around 20 hrs they are starting to take shape, the bass have losened up a bit and the highs are much smoother.

sexy headstand, where did you get it man:D
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 21 2012 22:25 GMT
#2784
Speaking of stands I got this (just the stand). I haven't received it yet but it beats leaving them on my desk.

[image loading]
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Weson
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Iceland1032 Posts
January 22 2012 09:16 GMT
#2785
On January 22 2012 02:18 tuho12345 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On January 20 2012 05:21 Weson wrote:
[image loading]

Got them a few days ago. I got a pair from some swedish internet retailer but the box had been opened and the serial numbers had been removed so i returned them and went and bought them from a physical store instead.

I'm doing some burn in at the moment and i've noticed some slight changes in the sound. First it sounded really edgey and there were no bass, at all. I've read that some people said that they sound like crap when you first get them and that they will require 300hr to burn in before they sound as they should. Now after around 20 hrs they are starting to take shape, the bass have losened up a bit and the highs are much smoother.


sexy headstand, where did you get it man:D

I got it when i bought Philips SBC HP890 back in the early 2000. Those were some good headphones but they were not durable at all. I handeled them with care but the cheap plastic design just wasn't strong enough and one day when i sat and listened the thing that held one of the "cups"(is that right?) snapped ... I tried to mend them but ducktape sadly wasn't enough.
[image loading]

"!@€#" - as some guy said
Dreamscythe
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland273 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-22 16:17:25
January 22 2012 16:10 GMT
#2786
Can someone suggest me a decent prize headset?

I got steelseries 5h v2 now. My first 5hv2 broke down after 8 month i got new one because of the guarantee but now these ones is broken too :/
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.Oscar Wilde
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 22 2012 18:48 GMT
#2787
I have a question for anyone who might know - why do some headphone amps have RCA analog outputs? I figured that the amp should always output directly to headphones.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
January 22 2012 19:07 GMT
#2788
On January 23 2012 01:10 Dreamscythe wrote:
Can someone suggest me a decent prize headset?

I got steelseries 5h v2 now. My first 5hv2 broke down after 8 month i got new one because of the guarantee but now these ones is broken too :/

What price? Which do you emphasize most, and in what order: durability, comfort, playback sound quality, microphone sound quality? Open-back (non-isolating) or closed?

You may be looking for this thread:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=126262


On January 23 2012 03:48 Djzapz wrote:
I have a question for anyone who might know - why do some headphone amps have RCA analog outputs? I figured that the amp should always output directly to headphones.

Probably so they can be used as a pre-amp to a speaker system as well. Some expensive headphone amps are way more powerful than necessary for headphones (which has 0 benefit except enabling you to accidentally blow the crap out of some headphones by accident), so they can also be used as weak low-power speaker amps directly.
Dreamscythe
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland273 Posts
January 22 2012 19:33 GMT
#2789
Thanks Myrmidon,i will check that threat.budget is around 60ish euros so that narrows down options. If i can raise my budget i was thinking razer banshee,but i heard that it's uncomfortable if you have glasses :/
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.Oscar Wilde
Tamehr
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada63 Posts
January 23 2012 17:01 GMT
#2790
Hey, could anyone suggest me a good pair of IEMs. mostly to use outside (metro,bus, etc.)
I listen to alot of trance, dubstep, hardstyle, hip-hop, so having a good bass and a nice soundstage would be really great.
Also, every time i bought IEMs, I couldnt have them to stay in my ears, so them having a good grip is also a must.
thanks!
hueheuhe
zewker
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden271 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-23 21:13:36
January 23 2012 21:12 GMT
#2791
Hopefully someone can help me.

I currently have a pair of technics RP-DJ1200k headphones i also have a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard.

Now to the question:

I'm thinking of getting a headphone amp/dac? I'm lost here.
max 150usd.
You guys got any recommendations? 50/50 music/gaming

I've been looking at:

Pro-Ject HeadBox II
Musical Fidelity V-CAN
Dynavox CSM-112
"God Didn't Create Us, We Created God"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
January 24 2012 01:55 GMT
#2792
On January 24 2012 02:01 Tamehr wrote:
Hey, could anyone suggest me a good pair of IEMs. mostly to use outside (metro,bus, etc.)
I listen to alot of trance, dubstep, hardstyle, hip-hop, so having a good bass and a nice soundstage would be really great.
Also, every time i bought IEMs, I couldnt have them to stay in my ears, so them having a good grip is also a must.
thanks!

Price?


On January 24 2012 06:12 zewker wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a headphone amp/dac? I'm lost here.
max 150usd.

A DAC would bypass your sound card, which is probably plenty fine. With headphones like that it's not really worth spending too much here. Your headphones are relatively low impedance and high sensitivity, so not incredibly picky. Try the FiiO E5. Save more for better headphones (the E5 can drive many of those anyway, not like that's critical since it's not much of an investment).
GhandiEAGLE
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States20754 Posts
January 24 2012 02:03 GMT
#2793
On November 13 2010 09:30 motbob wrote:
I use $20 Sony headphones from Walmart. Yeah!!!


Awwwww yeah! Although mine have a custom Fluttershy paint on mine though >.<
Oh, my achin' hands, from rakin' in grands, and breakin' in mic stands
Tamehr
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada63 Posts
January 24 2012 05:09 GMT
#2794
[QUOTE]On January 24 2012 10:55 Myrmidon wrote:
[QUOTE]On January 24 2012 02:01 Tamehr wrote:
Hey, could anyone suggest me a good pair of IEMs. mostly to use outside (metro,bus, etc.)
I listen to alot of trance, dubstep, hardstyle, hip-hop, so having a good bass and a nice soundstage would be really great.
Also, every time i bought IEMs, I couldnt have them to stay in my ears, so them having a good grip is also a must.
thanks![/QUOTE]
Price?


Around 100$ maybe more if necessary
hueheuhe
Cedstick
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada3336 Posts
January 24 2012 05:32 GMT
#2795
On January 24 2012 11:03 GhandiEAGLE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2010 09:30 motbob wrote:
I use $20 Sony headphones from Walmart. Yeah!!!


Awwwww yeah! Although mine have a custom Fluttershy paint on mine though >.<

Shit-yeah! MDR-V500 shit-can rocker right here! I've always bought headphones local retail, but I rarely find any good brands or good models, much to my dismay -- I've ended-up settling for Sony's far too often. Good bass, but generally flat sound and not the greatest range

Recommendations $150 CDN if I were to order online, guys? I'm starting to get in to some electronic production (Fruity Loops), but the majority of my use will be music. If there are any that are smaller -- leather padding is good, just not head-enclosing lol -- that'd be preferable, but I can make due with earbuds while I'm on the bus and keep these at home if need be.
"What does Rivington do when he's not commentating?" "Drool." ~ Categorist
darksub
Profile Joined July 2010
Argentina302 Posts
January 24 2012 15:31 GMT
#2796
what do you think of this headphones:

koss prodj100


[image loading]
divide et vinces
iKill[ShocK]
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vietnam3530 Posts
January 24 2012 20:13 GMT
#2797
are those 150-200 USD sound cards worth it to get? (asus/creative) I've been looking to improve my sound since im a music enthusiast. And for reference i also have a steelseries siberia v2
<3 Kim Taeyeon
Cedstick
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada3336 Posts
January 25 2012 16:43 GMT
#2798
On January 25 2012 00:31 darksub wrote:
what do you think of this headphones:

koss prodj100


[image loading]

Damn, nice pick. Simple, clean look, and the reviews are great. Sick price, too. I'll look in to 'em <3
"What does Rivington do when he's not commentating?" "Drool." ~ Categorist
darksub
Profile Joined July 2010
Argentina302 Posts
January 25 2012 16:52 GMT
#2799
On January 26 2012 01:43 Cedstick wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2012 00:31 darksub wrote:
what do you think of this headphones:

koss prodj100


[image loading]

Damn, nice pick. Simple, clean look, and the reviews are great. Sick price, too. I'll look in to 'em <3


im really into them right now, i was going to buy them but i found this:

http://www.koss.com/en/news/PR_ProDJ200

so il wait a little bit more.
divide et vinces
Fyodor
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada971 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-25 17:00:42
January 25 2012 16:59 GMT
#2800
Thanks for keeping this thread alive since 2010 Myrmidon!

Keep it real bro.

(PS, shame that I can't edit the OP)
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Prev 1 138 139 140 141 142 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 746
GuemChi 588
Leta 324
BeSt 240
Soma 174
Hyun 130
firebathero 110
Mong 68
910 48
sSak 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 26
yabsab 19
ZergMaN 18
HiyA 12
Noble 8
Shine 2
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss561
ceh9523
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King347
Other Games
summit1g8228
olofmeister845
JimRising 484
Happy336
KnowMe48
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick455
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt440
• Jankos241
Other Games
• Shiphtur485
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 50m
Patches Events
7h 50m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.