• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:10
CEST 02:10
KST 09:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8059 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 102

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 244 Next
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 18:02:08
October 23 2011 03:01 GMT
#2021
Klipsch Image One should be sold at like $120 Canadian, not $225. I think they're the Denon rip offs or something like that? Anyways, whichever they are, they're overpriced at anything above $125. Maybe a half alternative to the M50s, but not really.

The RE-0s are considered one of the best IEM purchases you can make. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Careful using them outside cause they cost a pretty penny.

If your headphones are getting staticy with popping noises, it's either your sources are terrible, or the headphones are broken, or it's really shitty quality. I'd assume your sources are terrible if it's your first time using nicer headphones. I'm sorry to say 128kbps mp3 files aren't going to cut it anymore if you use better headphones, because they'll output exactly what the file is. Which is shit with popping and static stuff. If the headphones are broken, then you'll need to figure out how to claim your warranty. And if they're fake, which is really unlikely if you researched before buying, then return them to Amazon and/or file a complaint. It's probably your source being crap though.

Microphone generally suggested is that ZALMAN clip on, but if you're a major first person shooter player I'd get a real headset. You probably can't waste the few seconds in game fixing an annoying microphone. Sadly guys, this is a headphone thread. There's a headset thread somewhere here that can be found easily with a search. Headsets have microphones, headphones don't, that's basically the difference.

Gaming first person shooter wise, you'll want a full sized pair of headphones cause sound doesn't seem so isolated, concentrated and fake. Any gaming otherwise and it makes no difference. The sound will be exactly the same, but better since you have better equipment of course.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
October 23 2011 15:21 GMT
#2022
The RE-ZERO and RE-0 are different products btw. The RE-0 is the older model, while the ZERO is the special edition, I think. RE-ZERO is more sensitive (louder; the RE-0 is relatively quiet for an IEM) and has more bass, among other small changes, allegedly.

In general, lossy encoding (with any kind of non-retarded modern encoder) does not produce popping and static sounds. With something like 128 kbps mp3, you will have the upper frequencies chopped off and a lot of approximations and the harder-to-notice softer sounds gone, but I doubt the cause of popping and static would be the encoding. But I guess with old (terrible) encoders at that bitrate, some pre-echo sizzles and other artifacts could possibly sound like popping? It still could be music files that are improperly ripped, but in that case, the popping should happen at exactly the same place in the music every time.

Easiest way to test would be to play stuff straight from a CD or a known good source and see if problems continue.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 18:03:11
October 23 2011 18:01 GMT
#2023
On October 24 2011 00:21 Myrmidon wrote:
The RE-ZERO and RE-0 are different products btw. The RE-0 is the older model, while the ZERO is the special edition, I think. RE-ZERO is more sensitive (louder; the RE-0 is relatively quiet for an IEM) and has more bass, among other small changes, allegedly.

In general, lossy encoding (with any kind of non-retarded modern encoder) does not produce popping and static sounds. With something like 128 kbps mp3, you will have the upper frequencies chopped off and a lot of approximations and the harder-to-notice softer sounds gone, but I doubt the cause of popping and static would be the encoding. But I guess with old (terrible) encoders at that bitrate, some pre-echo sizzles and other artifacts could possibly sound like popping? It still could be music files that are improperly ripped, but in that case, the popping should happen at exactly the same place in the music every time.

Easiest way to test would be to play stuff straight from a CD or a known good source and see if problems continue.


o.O if it's anything like the RE-0 then it should be amazing. Why couldn't they just make it the RE-00 or RE-0 SE or something...manufacturers like being annoying with product numbers...

I remember getting crackle off some 128kbps mp3, but I'm not sure from my memory if that's just a bad encode or not. There are a lot of terrible encodes floating around the Internet. If they occur at the same place every time and only on some songs then that's probably the case, do what Myrmidon says to check. But make sure you don't give up on them until you're 100% certain they are bad, since you haven't determined whether they're fake or not.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
October 23 2011 18:39 GMT
#2024
Oh yeah, there's plenty of bad rips and encodes out and about, but a modern encoder doing 128 kbps from lossless source isn't going to completely mangle the music. Just run some lossless music through LAME 3.98 or whatever is current, and listen for yourself. mp3 encoders from a decade ago are much much worse than they are now, producing much lower quality at the same bitrates.

A occurrence these days is people uploading lossy music to YouTube (so transcoded again by YT), downloading from YouTube, and transcoding yet again...obviously it's going to suck then, even if the final version is a high bitrate.
Kamelixs
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden88 Posts
October 23 2011 18:43 GMT
#2025
Got a pair of Audio-technica m50 in christmas present last year

Works excellent for me since I produce music.
Deep bas and very clear sound
Apus
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand74 Posts
October 23 2011 22:23 GMT
#2026
I have a pair of Sennheiser IE6's for work, modded 555s for home and some 'high end' Sony ear buds for whenever I'm doing work around the house.

Definitely a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy, but I can't see my next upgrade being from them. I'll be looking at getting an amp for use at work too eventually, once the bank balance allows
Eggm
Profile Joined September 2009
United States152 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 22:45:21
October 23 2011 22:42 GMT
#2027
I bought the 440's after reading this thread and must say they sound amaaaazing. I want to use them jogging will sweat ruin them?
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 00:32:23
October 24 2011 00:21 GMT
#2028
On October 24 2011 07:42 Eggm wrote:
I bought the 440's after reading this thread and must say they sound amaaaazing. I want to use them jogging will sweat ruin them?


I'm not sure how well you could run with full sized headphones, but I won't judge.

Sweat can potentially cause problems with the pleather pads, in which they'll absorb too much moisture and start weakening, eventually causing tiny tears in the pads. I think the Shures have an extra set of earpads though, so that'll be your choice. Cotton earpads will absorb a lot of sweat and become kinda sticky and ruined after a while. Same with velour, but probably to a lot lesser extent. If they made real silk earpads, those would be the best choice lol.

I would say that sweat may get inside the headphone and short circuit something, but I sweat a lot on my trashy pair of in ears and nothing's ever happened to them yet (like, ridiculous amount of sweat), so I can't comment whether sweat will break them or not, but it nonetheless seems like a bad idea if you sweat a lot since there's more opportunity for water to ruin full sized headphones than in-ears.

I'd advise against running with full sized headphones just because it's uncomfortable for me to run with anything heavy at all...

I suggest instead a pair of $20 walmart headphones that you don't care if it breaks, and using those. In-ears isolate a lot more, and when you're running you'll need to turn up the volume on full sized to drown out the sound of the cable rustling and hitting your body, or your feet hitting the ground. In ears have better microphonics in general.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Puph
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada635 Posts
October 24 2011 03:57 GMT
#2029
Image One's were 165 before tax, and I felt a 2 year warranty was needed. From my understanding, it is very difficult to obtain specific sets of headphones in Canada for a good price. I'm not prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to get all the features I did with Klipsh, and to be honest finding a good deal on a good set of cans that ships to canada is not an easy task.

I must say, I do enjoy the sound of the Klipsch Image One quite much and am wondering if I should invest in a portable amp to screw around with the EQ on it instead of my ipod?
Intel Dual Core 4400 @ ~2.00GHz / 2046MB RAM / 256 MB ATI Radeon x1300PRO
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
October 24 2011 04:17 GMT
#2030
Bought an m50 and couldn't be happier thanks to this thread. Works great playing off my cellphone and desktop.
© Current year.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
October 24 2011 04:24 GMT
#2031
On October 24 2011 12:57 Puph wrote:
Image One's were 165 before tax, and I felt a 2 year warranty was needed. From my understanding, it is very difficult to obtain specific sets of headphones in Canada for a good price. I'm not prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to get all the features I did with Klipsh, and to be honest finding a good deal on a good set of cans that ships to canada is not an easy task.

I must say, I do enjoy the sound of the Klipsch Image One quite much and am wondering if I should invest in a portable amp to screw around with the EQ on it instead of my ipod?


Sorry, didn't mean for me to sound as aggressive as I did. Yeah, Canada is extremely stupid, so I've honestly become a huge advocate for all my friends to buy used now instead of new, because people at Head-Fi and in head-fi are usually amazing and honest people. Of course it's always good to be very, very safe when doing any online trading, but Paypal is a great service. Or at least buy new from the states, though it's not really worth it for headphones below $250-ish.

An amplifier is almost always good, but the cost to performance ratio is always a concern. I don't think it'll make too much of a difference, or that it'll be worth your money though. However, with a portable amplifier, you can start saving up for a better amplifier in the future, which is almost always helpful.
There is no one like you in the universe.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
October 24 2011 04:25 GMT
#2032
Just got in a pair of sennheiser cx200 iems that i picked up cause i couldnt handle my meelectic m9s. The cx200s are light years better and fucking awesome for only 15$, highly recommend for anyone looking for a gym/running IEM. Also been listening to a pair of AKG k430s which i found pretty damn cheap and they didn't sound great out of the box but after burning in a bit they're pretty excellent and very small/portable, i use them for going to class and casual use when i dont wanna carry around my m50's but want something more than my IEMs
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
pathy
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Taiwan619 Posts
October 24 2011 09:06 GMT
#2033
On October 23 2011 12:01 Blisse wrote:
If your headphones are getting staticy with popping noises, it's either your sources are terrible, or the headphones are broken, or it's really shitty quality. I'd assume your sources are terrible if it's your first time using nicer headphones. I'm sorry to say 128kbps mp3 files aren't going to cut it anymore if you use better headphones, because they'll output exactly what the file is. Which is shit with popping and static stuff. If the headphones are broken, then you'll need to figure out how to claim your warranty. And if they're fake, which is really unlikely if you researched before buying, then return them to Amazon and/or file a complaint. It's probably your source being crap though.


Def. not source. I was running 320 kp/s Miami Horror mp3's ><. I looked into the telltale signs of being fake and none of them were apparent on my model, so I think they just might be defective.
Graphicscolosi suck
gruff
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden2276 Posts
October 24 2011 09:20 GMT
#2034
Do you have the same problem with everything you listen too? I had a similar problem with a pair of headphones but it was my media player doing something wonky (meaning I didn't have problem while listening though a browser and such).
RogerX
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
New Zealand3180 Posts
October 24 2011 09:26 GMT
#2035
Just bought these for $25 NZD (which I beleve is like 18 USD)

So cheap and so good the mic is also good because you can move it around anywhere (The one I bought has a mic) its fantastic, as I usually buy expensive headsets.

[image loading]
Stick it up. take it up. step aside and see the world
curreh
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia265 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 09:32:09
October 24 2011 09:29 GMT
#2036
hey guys I'm looking to get a new headset with a microphone for ventrilo, I've tried the plantronics 655 and the logitech comfort usb and they've both been horrible, plantronics had really bad sound quality and the logitech is really uncomfortable on my ears despite the name but has good sound quality >_<

Looking for a a cheap comfortable decent sound quality headset <$60-ish

EDIT: wow the post above me just as I posted haha, rogerx those look great! what brand is it? can't really read that writing :S
SlayerS Hwaiting! : )
R4TM
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil140 Posts
October 24 2011 13:15 GMT
#2037
Hi im about to get a hd 800! so glad that i posted it here, im a musical producer from Brazil, starting to put all the work ive created over the years on the net/youtube, when it's done, id be honored by your visit and thumb's up if you like!
JonJLSSlack
Profile Joined February 2011
United States84 Posts
October 24 2011 20:14 GMT
#2038
I have Trittons for 360 and PC gaming. Pretty good sound quality for music as well.
WTFZerg
Profile Joined February 2011
United States704 Posts
October 25 2011 03:40 GMT
#2039
I have a pair of Creative Fatal1tys that my parents bought me one year for christmas. I thought they were gonna blow but I've used them for 3 or 4 years now and I must say, they're pretty damn good.

I'm by no means an audio-freak, though, so they could be downright awful when compared to other headsets. They are really comfy, though.
Might makes right.
foehammer
Profile Joined August 2009
United States80 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-25 08:33:59
October 25 2011 08:33 GMT
#2040
Alright guys im trying to decide between:

audio technica ath-a7000
Link: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c946e97b349766d2/

Sennheiser HD558 (which btw can be modded up to a 598)
Link: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/around-ear-headphones-acoustic_504631

AKG K 271 MKII
Link: http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1064,pid,1064,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Shure srh840:
Link: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh840-professional-monitoring-headphones

I'll be using them from my laptop, desktop or android phone with no amp or anything. I dont want the bass to be overpowering, I want it to be clean yet slightly stronger than a natural sound because i listen to a lot of electronic music (day 9-esque stuff as well as house/electro pop) as well as hard rock. I listen to some classical music as well as a lot of live music. Besides the bass restriction i just want the sound to be as clean, natural, and balanced as possible.

I want to know which one of those cans has the most balanced and natural sound as well as the nicest sound stage so I can finally decide!

Thanks for any help!
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12429
Rain 1727
Artosis 799
White-Ra 232
ToSsGirL 41
Dota 2
monkeys_forever647
NeuroSwarm158
League of Legends
Doublelift4230
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1449
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1887
WinterStarcraft43
Other Games
summit1g9022
shahzam691
ArmadaUGS652
Day[9].tv587
JimRising 478
C9.Mang0306
ViBE138
Maynarde120
Trikslyr53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick658
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream108
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• davetesta36
• musti20045 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1201
• Day9tv587
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 50m
OSC
12h 50m
Stellar Fest
12h 50m
OSC
23h 50m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.