• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:16
CEST 23:16
KST 06:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8338 users

Arizona is Insane - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 All
kzn
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1218 Posts
July 17 2010 02:10 GMT
#221
On July 17 2010 11:06 Adila wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 10:48 kzn wrote:
On July 17 2010 10:23 Adila wrote:
Long term though, they'll just start assuming everyone else has guns and adjust for that.


You realize that this statement alone means that more gun ownership means less crime, right?


How does that logic pan out?

It could just as easily lead to more deadly incidents involving criminals.


Nobody breaks the law if they don't expect to profit from it. Sometimes, the profit is not monetary, but its profit nonethless. (In essence, this means nobody breaks the law if its not worth it to them to break the law).

Thus, any time a potential criminal is considering "do I want to do X?", they are performing a cost/benefit analysis. If the costs outweigh the benefits, they simply wont do X.

If everyone has guns, or if criminals must assume everyone has a gun, the costs of any crime go up. You must do one of three things:

a) Take on significantly more risk of a lethal ending to your crime.
b) Take on significantly more risk of punishment, by escalating your crime to a lethal level.
c) Take measures designed to reduce the risk of a/b happening, measures which would not be necessary if everyone was unarmed.

Thus, the costs associated with all possible criminal acts go up when guns are widespread. The benefits don't change at all.

Thus, there are some crimes that are worth it when most people are unarmed and are completely not worth it when people are armed.

Thus, total crime falls.
Like a G6
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
July 17 2010 02:22 GMT
#222
This is of course assuming that your average convenience store robbing thief is capable of making rational risk assessments and of deciding not to do the crime. That is a bad assumption for two reasons.
Firstly, if he could just decide not to do a crime then why doesn't he? He's desperate for money and will try it anyway.
Secondly, the bottom echelon of society are often there for a reason and their ability to make favourable long term decisions before actions are not one of them.

The outcome is that the guy still tries it because he's stupid or desperate. But now he needs a gun just to be in the running, he won't try it with just intimidation or a knife. Add into that that he's scared now because every guy he sees is now a potential threat.

I'm not entirely sure you improved the situation.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
kzn
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1218 Posts
July 17 2010 02:43 GMT
#223
On July 17 2010 11:22 KwarK wrote:
This is of course assuming that your average convenience store robbing thief is capable of making rational risk assessments and of deciding not to do the crime. That is a bad assumption for two reasons.
Firstly, if he could just decide not to do a crime then why doesn't he? He's desperate for money and will try it anyway.
Secondly, the bottom echelon of society are often there for a reason and their ability to make favourable long term decisions before actions are not one of them.

The outcome is that the guy still tries it because he's stupid or desperate. But now he needs a gun just to be in the running, he won't try it with just intimidation or a knife. Add into that that he's scared now because every guy he sees is now a potential threat.

I'm not entirely sure you improved the situation.


Nobody ever does something when they dont think its worth it. The only difference between me and your average convenience store robber in relevant terms is utility scales. Various differences in such can account for the fact that he robs the store and I don't.

But he's still doing an analysis.
Like a G6
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
July 17 2010 02:52 GMT
#224
On July 17 2010 11:43 kzn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 11:22 KwarK wrote:
This is of course assuming that your average convenience store robbing thief is capable of making rational risk assessments and of deciding not to do the crime. That is a bad assumption for two reasons.
Firstly, if he could just decide not to do a crime then why doesn't he? He's desperate for money and will try it anyway.
Secondly, the bottom echelon of society are often there for a reason and their ability to make favourable long term decisions before actions are not one of them.

The outcome is that the guy still tries it because he's stupid or desperate. But now he needs a gun just to be in the running, he won't try it with just intimidation or a knife. Add into that that he's scared now because every guy he sees is now a potential threat.

I'm not entirely sure you improved the situation.


Nobody ever does something when they dont think its worth it. The only difference between me and your average convenience store robber in relevant terms is utility scales. Various differences in such can account for the fact that he robs the store and I don't.

But he's still doing an analysis.

I don't doubt there is analysis because all humans analyse everything on some level.
That doesn't change the fact he might think crime is still worth it because he has no option or because he's too stupid to accurately weight the various factors. A risk assessment is actually quite a complex thing, you need to assign accurate objective values to each outcome and then multiply that value by the probability of it happening. The problems of stupidity and desperation remain.

While some crimes may be prevented by using gun ownership to effectively raise the stakes I think that is more than counterbalanced by the fact that the stakes are higher. He'll feel he has to bring a gun and he'll be paranoid that everyone else might have one.

Ultimately I think this discussion is futile though. I think we both understand the merits of the other's argument.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Medzo
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States627 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 03:04:04
July 17 2010 03:03 GMT
#225
No doubt in my mind that some people would commit crime even if everyone had a gun. But I would bet a lot of money that certain crimes would go down if everyone did have a gun. Im not suggesting everyone should have a gun but I think the right should be available to those who want to have them.

I think that people let fear get to them when they think about allowing guns on schools. But if we do not allow them in most places it doesn't stop the people who are willing to commit the crime from coming onto an area with a gun and the intent. It makes them more dangerous because they enter an area where law abiding citizens can not carry weapons to defend themselves at all.
SilverLeagueElite
Profile Joined April 2010
United States626 Posts
July 17 2010 03:26 GMT
#226
On July 17 2010 11:52 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 11:43 kzn wrote:
On July 17 2010 11:22 KwarK wrote:
This is of course assuming that your average convenience store robbing thief is capable of making rational risk assessments and of deciding not to do the crime. That is a bad assumption for two reasons.
Firstly, if he could just decide not to do a crime then why doesn't he? He's desperate for money and will try it anyway.
Secondly, the bottom echelon of society are often there for a reason and their ability to make favourable long term decisions before actions are not one of them.

The outcome is that the guy still tries it because he's stupid or desperate. But now he needs a gun just to be in the running, he won't try it with just intimidation or a knife. Add into that that he's scared now because every guy he sees is now a potential threat.

I'm not entirely sure you improved the situation.


Nobody ever does something when they dont think its worth it. The only difference between me and your average convenience store robber in relevant terms is utility scales. Various differences in such can account for the fact that he robs the store and I don't.

But he's still doing an analysis.


While some crimes may be prevented by using gun ownership to effectively raise the stakes I think that is more than counterbalanced by the fact that the stakes are higher. He'll feel he has to bring a gun and he'll be paranoid that everyone else might have one.



Criminals will commit crimes no matter what. If he is intent on acquiring a gun, he will get one. Despite gun bans. Whereas before, unarmed, you were a sitting duck. Now at least, you have a fighting chance. Better for the criminal to be paranoid than citizens.
stork4ever
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1036 Posts
July 17 2010 03:35 GMT
#227
I've lived in Arizona and they are not any more racist then any other border state (I've lived in California and Texas as well). There is always people fighting for more gun rights and gun control. Calling other states racist and not even trying where the other side of gun regulations is coming from makes me think OP is on the far end of a political spectrum.
Yurebis
Profile Joined January 2009
United States1452 Posts
July 17 2010 04:41 GMT
#228
In defense of criminals, they aren't stupid.
They just have a low time preference, and take high-risk chances more often
- morality aside.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Triscuit
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 05:27:41
July 17 2010 05:26 GMT
#229
Not to exaggerate the situation too much, but it seems like creating an atmosphere where criminals assume everyone has a gun will just make criminals jumpier and more prone to shooting people.

I mean, I know that if I were a criminal and had the propensity to shoot and kill a potentially innocent person, my assuming that anyone I robbed would have the ability to shoot me back would make me far more trigger happy. Plus, I would have the element of surprise. I would be pointing my gun at the other person, where they would have to make a move to shoot me back. Therefore any sudden movements by the other person would give me reason to shoot him or her.

I have never been in such a situation, so I'm open to my scenario being total bullshit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Silver, point well made. Deterrence is a difficult thing to track.
Yurebis
Profile Joined January 2009
United States1452 Posts
July 17 2010 05:30 GMT
#230
On July 17 2010 14:26 Triscuit wrote:
Not to exaggerate the situation too much, but it seems like creating an atmosphere where criminals assume everyone has a gun will just make criminals jumpier and more prone to shooting people.

I mean, I know that if I were a criminal and had the propensity to shoot and kill a potentially innocent person, my assuming that anyone I robbed would have the ability to shoot me back would make me far more trigger happy. Plus, I would have the element of surprise. I would be pointing my gun at the other person, where they would have to make a move to shoot me back. Therefore any sudden movements by the other person would give me reason to shoot him or her.

I have never been in such a situation, so I'm open to my scenario being total bullshit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Silver, point well made. Deterrence is a difficult thing to track.

That's not just a criminal but a psychopath
common criminals use the gun for the ends of coercion, not to shoot people for fun...
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Triscuit
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States722 Posts
July 17 2010 05:38 GMT
#231
On July 17 2010 14:30 Yurebis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 14:26 Triscuit wrote:
Not to exaggerate the situation too much, but it seems like creating an atmosphere where criminals assume everyone has a gun will just make criminals jumpier and more prone to shooting people.

I mean, I know that if I were a criminal and had the propensity to shoot and kill a potentially innocent person, my assuming that anyone I robbed would have the ability to shoot me back would make me far more trigger happy. Plus, I would have the element of surprise. I would be pointing my gun at the other person, where they would have to make a move to shoot me back. Therefore any sudden movements by the other person would give me reason to shoot him or her.

I have never been in such a situation, so I'm open to my scenario being total bullshit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Silver, point well made. Deterrence is a difficult thing to track.

That's not just a criminal but a psychopath
common criminals use the gun for the ends of coercion, not to shoot people for fun...


Who said the criminal would be shooting for fun? I mean, the criminal might be in self-defense mode at that point, if he reasonably thinks his life is threatened. You can't just assume the guy will point a gun at you to scare you off.
Yurebis
Profile Joined January 2009
United States1452 Posts
July 17 2010 05:49 GMT
#232
On July 17 2010 14:38 Triscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 14:30 Yurebis wrote:
On July 17 2010 14:26 Triscuit wrote:
Not to exaggerate the situation too much, but it seems like creating an atmosphere where criminals assume everyone has a gun will just make criminals jumpier and more prone to shooting people.

I mean, I know that if I were a criminal and had the propensity to shoot and kill a potentially innocent person, my assuming that anyone I robbed would have the ability to shoot me back would make me far more trigger happy. Plus, I would have the element of surprise. I would be pointing my gun at the other person, where they would have to make a move to shoot me back. Therefore any sudden movements by the other person would give me reason to shoot him or her.

I have never been in such a situation, so I'm open to my scenario being total bullshit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. Silver, point well made. Deterrence is a difficult thing to track.

That's not just a criminal but a psychopath
common criminals use the gun for the ends of coercion, not to shoot people for fun...


Who said the criminal would be shooting for fun? I mean, the criminal might be in self-defense mode at that point, if he reasonably thinks his life is threatened. You can't just assume the guy will point a gun at you to scare you off.

Sorry I misrepresented your point.
But it's still silly.
What you're comparing is "victim on the crosshair has a gun" v. "victim on the crosshair has no gun"
But the fair way to ask this is "victim on the crosshair has had the option of having a gun" v. "hasn't had the option by law to have a gun"

Whether the victim decides to be an hero doesn't really matter. It's obvious that the criminal would prefer not to shoot either.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Redfish
Profile Joined April 2010
United States142 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 05:52:43
July 17 2010 05:51 GMT
#233
Prev 1 10 11 12 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ZombieGrub265
Nina 158
NeuroSwarm 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14583
scan(afreeca) 25
Bale 16
NaDa 1
Dota 2
febbydoto15
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3955
Liquid`Hasu668
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1963
summit1g708
shahzam509
WinterStarcraft339
C9.Mang0283
ToD261
Dewaltoss60
JuggernautJason40
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1031
Other Games
• imaqtpie987
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
12h 45m
INu's Battles
13h 45m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
15h 45m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 1h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.